• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD coming on March 17 2015. Download code for FFXV demo included

Ew
now I have a smidge of reason to get hype0

Baby steps
Let's see it beating xii and ffxiii first

let me play devil's advocate for a moment let's say the game is actually good, do you think that FFXV not being turn based will make the game frowned upon? I have a feeling people will regardless bash the game even if its good, because it deviated to much from what people consider final fantasy to be.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I think tabata, when he says 'mature' is actually talking about M rated stuff like blood and war type shit where tons of kids and shit die. Yeah you could have some dark aspects in previous final fantasies, but let's be real, FF10 for example was still rated T, and Sin's rampages weren't exactly shown so much as implied most of the time, people still disappeared in little sparkly lights.

Type 0 seems to be more about an actual battlefield with magic. It was the same feeling i got from Versus when he broke that dude's neck with his legs or shoved the sword through that guy so hard blood and gore came out the back.

That stuff is probably not still in the game because they are gonna go mainstream with 15, but that's the feeling i got, like it could really be the first "M rated" final fantasy.

Koozek

It's really weird that Square has been using that as a PR point (and it was so obviously a PR point -- as Tabata kept repeating that, I just knew it'd make for headlines on a lot of sites). FFX was filled with death and despair, FFXII was like Game of Thrones lite, FFVI had a goddamned
suicide
, etc. Even FFXIII dealt with "mature" themes. I think the last Final Fantasy game that wasn't "mature" was maybe FFV?

When I think of "mature" I mean less cheesy melodrama (see FFXIII) and more of a grounded tone in the dialogues/presentation that FFXII was the last main-line entry to have, IMO (didn't play FFXIV, though).
In retrospect FFXII is exactly what I would want nowadays out of a FF (minus topless pretty boys like Vaan and the second half of the story^^). FFXV has that mature feeling in nearly every aspect of its design and I hope FFXVI will be like that or even more Matsuno-esque, too.

I think tabata, when he says 'mature' is actually talking about M rated stuff like blood and war type shit where tons of kids and shit die. Yeah you could have some dark aspects in previous final fantasies, but let's be real, FF10 for example was still rated T, and Sin's rampages weren't exactly shown so much as implied most of the time, people still disappeared in little sparkly lights.

Type 0 seems to be more about an actual battlefield with magic. It was the same feeling i got from Versus when he broke that dude's neck with his legs or shoved the sword through that guy so hard blood and gore came out the back.

That stuff is probably not still in the game because they are gonna go mainstream with 15, but that's the feeling i got, like it could really be the first "M rated" final fantasy.

Thay's exactly what I was thinking when they sais the type-O is a more mature FF.

Go_Ly_Dow

personally would like to see a gym with weight lifting facilities in FFXV

with the help of some steroids i can work on transforming my party from this

kfC0Ij2.png

to this

xfnfVIG.png

maybe add a hair salon too and let you give the boys buzz cuts.

MilesTeg

Banned
let me play devil's advocate for a moment let's say the game is actually good, do you think that FFXV not being turn based will make the game frowned upon? I have a feeling people will regardless bash the game even if its good, because it deviated to much from what people consider final fantasy to be.

FFXIII was turn based and that didn't help it in the eyes of fans. FFXII received much praise for it's battle system at release despite heavily deviating from the norm. I think people will be happy with a good game regardless of turn based or not. I mean we have known it wasn't turn based since the reveal and that hasn't stopped the hype one bit.

We still don't really know how it's gonna work either. There seem to be indications, based on video, that your party members jump in at times with support attacks or something, so it may not be 100% action RPG button masher.

personally would like to see a gym with weight lifting facilities in FFXV

with the help of some steroids i can work on transforming my party from this

kfC0Ij2.png

to this

xfnfVIG.png

maybe add a hair salon too and let you give the boys buzz cuts.

Brooooo, sick idea. Now I can #swag ingame and irl for maximum gains, gimmie a fedora option Square, legit!

FFXIII was turn based and that didn't help it in the eyes of fans. FFXII received much praise for it's battle system at release despite heavily deviating from the norm. I think people will be happy with a good game regardless of turn based or not. I mean we have known it wasn't turn based since the reveal and that hasn't stopped the hype one bit.

We still don't really know how it's gonna work either. There seem to be indications, based on video, that your party members jump in at times with support attacks or something, so it may not be 100% action RPG button masher.

true bro, but remember one key aspect is that Versus was originally a spin-off that got forced into being a mainline FF. While it retained stuff from other FF games such as the chocobos, world map, towns (hopefully they're still in) but at the same time i believe nomura said would deviate completely from FF hence the battle system. Personally i don't mind it being Action Rpg but i just wanted to know what people felt on the matter =]

I think the alternative view here is that people might be tired of turn-based and welcome some innovation to the Final Fantasy series.

Note: I love turn-based, but would also love to see something different just to see what SE can do.

I think the alternative view here is that people might be tired of turn-based and welcome some innovation to the Final Fantasy series.

Note: I love turn-based, but would also love to see something different just to see what SE can do.

i love turn based too and persona does it good imo, but you're probably one of the few who actually welcomes the idea. i think this battle system will appeal to a new audience hopefully and further expand the brand. i'm thinking outside the box a bit but this generation of gamers have short attention spans and want a game thats more "hands on"

What do you guys think will happen first? Will Naughty Dog launch their 5th (FIFTH!) triple A game for a Playstation home console before Square releases FFXV or will they launch it before Uncharted 4? I'm willing to be the former is more likely.

Uncharted 1 was the first ND game released after Square's FFVersus XIII announcement. What do you think?

Ishida

Banned
What do you guys think will happen first? Will Naughty Dog launch their 5th (FIFTH!) triple A game for a Playstation home console before Square releases FFXV or will they launch it before Uncharted 4? I'm willing to be the former is more likely.

Uncharted 1 was the first ND game released after Square's FFVersus XIII announcement. What do you think?

I'm 100% sure that Uncharted 4 will release first.

Falk

that puzzling face

Of all the things to pick, why Uncharted? I mean you could have gone for broke and said "the entire franchise of more than five dozen Assassin's Creed games were released"

How the hell did you do that

Not my pictures unfortunately :( Google image searched.

uncharted vs tomb raider next fall and Halo 5 right?.. expect FFXV around march 2016

Slowdive

Banned

Uncharted will come out first. XV I think will be late 2015 in Japan, early 2016 everywhere else. That's just wishful thinking though.

jschreier

Not to defend Square Enix, but if you think of Versus and FFXV as totally separate games -- with Versus cancelled and replaced in 2012 by a game that essentially started from scratch -- it's a lot easier to have faith that XV could be really rad.

Falk

that puzzling face
Not to defend Square Enix, but if you think of Versus and FFXV as totally separate games -- with Versus cancelled and replaced in 2012 by a game that essentially started from scratch -- it's a lot easier to have faith that XV could be really rad.

But that would mean having to let go of Stella's original design.

:(

MilesTeg

Banned
true bro, but remember one key aspect is that Versus was originally a spin-off that got forced into being a mainline FF. While it retained stuff from other FF games such as the chocobos, world map, towns (hopefully they're still in) but at the same time i believe nomura said would deviate completely from FF hence the battle system. Personally i don't mind it being Action Rpg but i just wanted to know what people felt on the matter =]

Little off topic but to be honest I'm secretly hoping the game takes some inspiration from stuff like GTA for the overwold. FF always had big overworlds with vehicles. A massive overworld where you are driving a vehicle ala GTA is actually closer to standard FF than we have seen in many years.

Reveirg

That game's postmortem is going to be a goooood read.

ExoSoul

Banned
1 - You'll be able to see it in action - This really makes me think it's gonna be just a movie that you have no control over.

2 - Some will be able to get it free with Agito - Wait, we're supposed to pay for that "demo", SE you keep learning from the wrong guys.

UberTag

Expecting a Metacritic score somewhere between 68-73 for Type-0 HD.
Expecting FFXV to arrive "for real" in 2016... in Japan. Maybe.

I honestly don't doubt it will be rad, regardless of the pounding S-E's (and FF's) reputation has gotten since last gen.
You've gotta figure everyone at S-E, from top to bottom, knows this project is a big deal. They need it to be an event. They need it to reinvigorate the brand on a worldwide scale.

I'm not much of a fan of MMORPGs, but the care and quality put into rebooting FFXIV makes me confident in whatever we end up with FFXV.

It's gotta drive guys like Nomura and Tabata nuts not being able to show off this labor of love in a more in-depth fashion.

Go_Ly_Dow

Far as we know from what they revealed from E3 last year:

All the way up to early/mid2011 a PS3 only game

Early/Mid 2011-Mid 2012 developed as a cross-gen game. Perhaps PS3/PS4 or perhaps PS3/360/XB1/PS4 etc... (who really knows?)

Mid 2012 onwards. Developed as a next-gen only title. (they said it has been developed as that for roughly a year iirc at E3 2013)

Then you gotta think maybe it was intended to be a next-gen only title but still retain a lot of the previous gens version assets, but when compared to other next-gen only games it wouldn't hold up. So there's a chance they scrapped even more stuff since E3 2013.

Crazy development history. Would love to hear it all.

Mad_Angel

Neo Member
There's a 25 min video of Type-0 HD on IGN Portugal. It's an off-screen footage but the question is, were we supposed to see that already or IGN Portugal jumped the gun?

1 - You'll be able to see it in action - This really makes me think it's gonna be just a movie that you have no control over.

2 - Some will be able to get it free with Agito - Wait, we're supposed to pay for that "demo", SE you keep learning from the wrong guys.

?

1. Buy Type-0, get FF15 demo

2. Don't buy Type-0, buy demo separately

Honestly, it's the same as the old days when the MGS2 demo came with Zone of the Enders, or FF12 with Dragon Quest VIII. But now, they ALSO have the option of selling you the demo (presumably at a cheaper price) if you aren't interested in the game it's attached to

Top Bottom