• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Versus XIII on PS3 and PS4 (Gameblog rumor)

Jawmuncher

A simultaneous release seems smart. Especially if the other is a significant improvement over the PS3. I know I'd wait to play the "superior version".

Thought we already confirmed it being FF15 and in no way related to 13.

Road

Have you see SE latest financial results ? And they never had such a big game exclusive around the launch of a new system ... This isn't The Bouncer, but a game that has to sell a couple millions to recoup costs.

Have you seen SE latest financial results?

They surely think Versus needs to sell 10 million units based on a Metascore of 90+ because that's how much Skyrim did and both are RPG, making that the only logical conclusion.

Pooya

gameblog is usually good with rumors, maybe they get some details wrong but otherwise they're right.

sounds like a good solution overall too for everyone involved and fans alike if this ends up happening. they just need to release it soon, like next year at the latest.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Well, they did release an MMO on a system with no infrastructure, and again on a system with no install base. They're also spending tens of millions of dollars reworking an already failed MMO to work on the PS3.

All this, because they made 'promises' to their fans with early announcements. So I'm not surprised they're still fumbling along.

DSix

Banned
I wouldn't put any faith in this rumour, gameblog.fr is shit.

It's a likely possible outcome, but I think it would be a mistake from Sony to do so.

NotLiquid

This is a stupid idea unless Sony wants to do the Twilight Princess method and release it on PS4 before it comes out on PS3.

PS4 exclusive would make it a selling point while it being on both PS platforms would attribute to the cross-gen problem of new titles not being sales incentives for new consoles.

Zanasea

Gameblog is not a reliable source; they are mostly posting crap to get more views.

In any case, it doesn't sound like a huge scoop.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Well, PS4 only really doesn't make much sense, userbase will be too small to see a big enough return.

But if they have a clearly superior version running on PS4 a cross-generation release would make the most sense.

Soriku

if this is true, then all ps3 games this year will get a ps4 release (last gurdian, last of us, gt6, beyond)

Eh...how did you come to this conclusion? That's all not guaranteed. Plus I don't think anyone expected TLG to release on PS3 this year...

I'll just say I don't expect cross gen. PS3 or PS4 exclusive IMO.

Well, PS4 only really doesn't make much sense, userbase will be too small to see a big enough return.

But if they have a clearly superior version running on PS4 a cross-generation release would make the most sense.
it makes sense in the long run, if they want to make luminous engine games for japan. it is squares best interest that ps4 takes of in jpn

EDarkness

This is rumor, of course, but I wouldn't be surprised in the least. Outside of FFXIII they've almost always been on only one system and recently that's Sony's. So I'm not expecting this game to be released on anything but Sony's platforms. Not much of a rumor, in my opinion.

Darryl

Banned
Wouldn't this hurt the system (PS4) sales in Japan? Why would Sony do that?

why would they pay to port it to PS4? it'll put a new title on the platform that separates it from the other next-gen consoles. why would they not pay for a PS4 exclusive? last FF game sold like 8M copies. SE will want the difference.

Ricker

Betting the lame announcement only at the PS4 event was about this...we will finally know at E3 if this as been cancelled,name changed to FFXV or if they kept the Versus name...

Spongebob

Banned
This sounds very similar to the vgleaks rumor apart from the PS3 version part.

Though, I trust vgleaks far more than this random site.

Unless they are backing the game financially, it would have nothing to do with Sony.

It's not SE's responsibility to sell Sony's platform for them.

I'm assuming that Sony is backing the game of course. Right now an exclusive FF game is probably the only potential million seller for the system in Japan, having another version that is available on a cheaper and more popular platform will lose them many potential buyers there I think.

Wasn't Versus XIII already exclusive to begin with?

There's always been speculation that it would eventually release on the 360 due to what went on with XIII. Plus you had Nomura's comments from a few years ago where he described the difference between a port and multiplatform.

“Multiplatform is when you start development on a game with the assumption of optimizing for multiple platforms,” Nomura wrote. “Porting is something that’s done after you’ve developed a game specifically for a particular platforms. The debate over porting is decided by the management based off the current market and the costs. All I can say right now as a developer is that Versus is being developed specifically for the PlayStation 3.”

http://gematsu.com/2010/09/nomura-t...asy-versus-xiii-and-multiplatform-development

Spongebob

Banned
A port of Final Fantasy Versus XIII to the PS4 wouldn't really push PS4 units, so I wonder why Sony would even both financing the port.

Takao

Banned
Betting the lame announcement only at the PS4 event was about this...we will finally know at E3 if this as been cancelled,name changed to FFXV or if they kept the Versus name...

Name change to continue on tradition:

NES:
Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy III

SNES:
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy V
Final Fantasy VI

PS1:
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX

PS2:
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy XI
Final Fantasy XII

PS3:
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy XIV
???

Usobuko

Banned
This news is much better than it's on PS4 alone since many people bought the console anticipating this and hmm last guardian as well, I suppose. Good for them.

Paracelsus

They cannot risk FFXV-ersus on PS4 only and it only makes sense seeing as FFXII should have been legally required to be up-ported to PS3 at launch in 2006.

Spongebob

Banned
This news is much better than it's on PS4 alone since many people bought the console anticipating this and hmm last guardian as well, I suppose. Good for them.
I find it funny when people say this, because it's as if they didn't end up using their PS3s to play titles other than Versus XIII and The Last Guardian.

Grieves

I hope this is true. Depending on the PS4's price, I'm hoping to switch gen's sooner rather than later.

Ricker

Name change to continue on tradition:

NES:
Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy III

SNES:
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy V
Final Fantasy VI

PS1:
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX

PS2:
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy XI
Final Fantasy XII

PS3:
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy XIV
???

LOL,good point but with Square these days,who knows,they might go with FFXV Versus hehe... ;)

Top Bottom