• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Versus XIII on PS3 and PS4 (Gameblog rumor)

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Lame.

The impact of having a Final Fantasy game in PS4's launch window is severely reduced if the game is also out on PS3 unless Versus on PS4 looks like Agni's Philosophy which I doubt.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Should be PS4-only but I guess all the assets etc. are already made for a PS3 version that they may as well put it out on there.

Sony doing much more cross-gen titles than I would like. I really think keeping a lot of that exclusive to PS4 is best to push the new platform, and having a lot of cross-gen titles just tells folks "hey you don't need a PS4 just YET."

Takuya

Banned
IF it is cross-gen, it will be cross-buy. That would allow current gen PS3 owners to play the game, while also having the option of upgrading to PS4 and also playing the game.

IF it is cross-gen, it will be cross-buy. That would allow current gen PS3 owners to play the game, while also having the option of upgrading to PS4 and also playing the game.

Sony could be cooking something....that is a nice incentive for people to buy a PS4.

Cross gen versions of: Beyond, The Last of Us, The Last Guardian, Gran Turismo 6, Puppeteer buy one and get the PS4 version for free :p

Lame.

The impact of having a Final Fantasy game in PS4's launch window is severely reduced if the game is also out on PS3 unless Versus on PS4 looks like Agni's Philosophy which I doubt.

Why would SE care about that ? They are here to make money on software sales.

Plus they would lose whatever is left of their credibility if it wasn't released on ps3.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
When was Versus multi?

He's talking about all HD titles for consoles being multiplatform. Not just Versus. And I agree with alberto. It IS the worst thing SE can do with Versus at the moment imo. Of course, as someone else has pointed out earlier, it's exclusive because there was most likely involvement from Sony.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
He's talking about all HD titles for consoles being multiplatform. Not just Versus. And I agree with alberto. It IS the worst thing SE can do with Versus at the moment imo. Of course, as someone else has pointed out earlier, it's exclusive because there was most likely involvement from Sony.

If Sony was involved they probably would have prioritized it more and had it out by now. I know if I were upper management from Sony involved with the game I'd be pretty damn pissed off about how SE has handled it.

They need PS4 to sell in Japan, otherwise the investment in Luminous engine would be a waste. It's in Square's best interest that PS4 takes off in Jpn so they can keep making Luminous engine games for the Japanese audience...let's face it, any game they make using Luminous (Kingdom Hearts 3, Final Fantasy, new IP) will sell millions in Japan, however if PS4 bombs they will be limited to 3DS only.

sense

can't wait for E3.. really.

Please be excited for TGS :p

i actually think this is probably the best move they could make which benefits both square and sony. what are the odds of ps4 releasing in september with ps4 port of gta 5. i think going forward from september they would want to have ps4 port as well for major games to sustain the platform in the initial year and not be dry like wii u. i am thinking there will be a ps4 port of beyond two souls as well with the obvious big third party games like ac4, batman, battlefield, cod etc...

Persona86

Banned

Plus they would lose whatever is left of their credibility if it wasn't released on ps3.

Plus I have a feeling that Sony is helping to make Versus a reality, so exclusive makes sense if that's the case.

kayos90

If Sony was involved they probably would have prioritized it more and had it out by now. I know if I were upper management from Sony involved with the game I'd be pretty damn pissed off about how SE has handled it.

Unless they're going for a simultaneous launch with the PS4. You know. That would probably be why the title isn't out.

Taruranto

I thought Versus XIII was supposed to be a more "mature" Kingdom Hearts style?
iVwsb4VqT1N7c.gif

I think a step back in to exclusivity would be one of the worst things Square could do to the brand now, too.

No. It would be a good thing. Especially if the game is really good. Get their fanbase back to liking them.

Exclusivity worked wonders for them in the PS1/2 generation. It would of been the same for PS3 if they didn't do the stupid shit they did.

kayos90

No. It would be a good thing. Especially if the game is really good. Get their fanbase back to liking them.

Exclusivity worked wonders for them in the PS1/2 generation. It would of been the same for PS3 if they didn't do the stupid shit they did.

Uhhh... What? No. This is untrue. SE would've made vastly more money by going multiplatform than exclusive. It's not about just getting the fanbase. It's about making important business ventures. Also, exclusivity back then and now are nowhere near the same. Why are you comparing them?

Famassu

Major changes to the game's design on the scale of what we've seen for Versus XIII is usually indicative of development hell. Changing the overworld style is not a small or easy change, unless they had nothing more than prototypes before it was changed. Things can change during development, but that kind of stuff is supposed to be nailed down before they go full force into production. Otherwise you end up with scope creep tons money wasted on unused content (oh hi FFXIII!)

Edit: Beaten by decoyplatypus

Well, at the point where they changed the style, it wasn't much else but prototyping (i.e. they were trying to figure out the scale of the world map, at some point even the world map was so big that it was easy to get lost in it), but this WAS a long time after the game had been announced and some planning, tech demoing etc. had gone into the project (so, basically, relatively late). BUT, the game hadn't gone full force into production at that point, that wouldn't happen until much later on and that is one of the reasons WHY these kinds of big changes were even possible (it was a small team working on Versus, it's not like they had spend hundreds of millions on the game by that point). I mean, I think it might've been in 2008 when we got some production image with small (blurry) screenshots of a world map. Then came FFXIII's development's clusterfuckness and development pretty much halted for a whole year. They had those world map prototypes/tech demos, yet decided to go into a different direction later on. Development resumed in late 2009 or early 2010. We got the first super-short trailer-snipped of Versus XIII about a half a year later in June 2010 that already showed these changes to overworld structure in effect (so development was clearly progressing). And 6 months after that we got the 8-9 minute trailer showcasing combat, story, exploration & some different locations.

Later on in 2011 they announced they had gotten the game to a point where they could enter full production (build up team size and, basically, just finish the damn thing by crunching out most of the content of the game). A few months later Nomura says the world of Versus is fully traversable, though largely still somewhat empty of actual content (and he had actually done a full run-through of it). They were clearly advancing at a decent phase with the development in 2010-2011 (you know, when they were over the beginning-hurdles and weren't forced to work on other people's games). Then XIV 1.0 happened and it's been quiet ever since Square Enix decided not to let it die a pathetic death.

Whompa

I would grab the ps4 version. No brainer...either way, this is just another rumor in a dry season for news. Just going to wait for E3 for anything official.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Unless they're going for a simultaneous launch with the PS4. You know. That would probably be why the title isn't out.

People have been talking about Sony backing this game since the XIII went multiplatform. If anything I'd imagine the mismanagement would keep Sony away from backing it recently, unless Square Enix managed to really impress them.

I'd say the only evidence that really sticks out is the PS4 event, seems like something was supposed to be shown but was cut at the last possible minute.

Uhhh... What? No. This is untrue. SE would've made vastly more money by going multiplatform than exclusive. It's not about just getting the fanbase. It's about making important business ventures. Also, exclusivity back then and now are nowhere near the same. Why are you comparing them?

I'm comparing them cause that's where the fanbase is. On PS. Same for MGS. That's where the majority of the sales come from.

How much extra sales did they get from FF13 on 360?

Did FFXIII actually sell more than any of the PS2 FF's though? I don't think it did. Either way, the game has been PS3 only from the start, so I don't think it would be a bad move on SE's part if Sony was willing to step in.

kayos90

I'm comparing them cause that's where the fanbase is. On PS. Same for MGS. That's where the majority of the sales come from.

How much extra sales did they get from FF13 on 360?

Also comparing them because of the fanbase is a really bad reason to try and situate Versus. lol.

The ratio of PS3 to 360 was roughly 2:1. So it wasn't bad. It was actually quite good.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Did FFXIII actually sell more than any of the PS2 FF's though? I don't think it did. Either way, the game has been PS3 only from the start, so I don't think it would be a bad move on SE's part if Sony was willing to step in.

In terms of shipped, it shipped more than XI and XII I believe.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I've seen the 2:1 figure before, I don't remember if it's NA or "the west" where the game was multiplatform from the start.

It was 2:1 in the states at least early on via NPD.

The point is the franchise is still extremely Playstation heavy especially when you take WW sales (ie Japan) into account. Obviously multiplatform always makes sense but this is the kind of game where exclusivity is feasible.

kayos90

2:1 where? Definitely not WW.

Uh... If it was worldwide, it would exclude JP entirely since there was no 360 version at the time. I'm mere talking about NA with those numbers anyway. Also, even if we're talking about multiplatform, it's a given to exclude Japan honestly.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Uh... If it was worldwide, it would exclude JP entirely since there was no 360 version at the time. I'm mere talking about NA with those numbers anyway. Also, even if we're talking about multiplatform, it's a given to exclude Japan honestly.

I'm pretty sure the Asian 360 version was non-existent at that time too though. So it's probably only US and UK who benefits the multiplat.

kayos90

I'm pretty sure the Asian 360 version was non-existent at that time too though. So it's probably only US and UK who benefits the multiplat.

Yes. Considering the 360 is pretty irrelevant in Japan and in Korea from what I've seen and know, Multiplat is usually for the West. Not

Both PS3 and PS4? Not surprised. SE gotta double the profit to cover the losses for the developement somehow. This game's worth and importance has really dwindled over the years.

Its pretty ironic though - if true - I remember back in the beginning of this gen SE insinuated alot of doubt and distrust in Sony.

Also comparing them because of the fanbase is a really bad reason to try and situate Versus. lol.

The ratio of PS3 to 360 was roughly 2:1. So it wasn't bad. It was actually quite good.

2:1 for the U.S. That's good. If it was released in japan it would be even bigger.

Point i'm making is these games are heavily sold to PS owners. Making them exclusive again won't be a problem. The couple hundred thousand extra sales they would of got on 360 would be bought on PS3/PS4. Since i'm sure alot of those 360 owners were former PS owners who played FF.

Top Bottom