• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Versus XIII on PS3 and PS4 (Gameblog rumor)

SteaG

Oh Gameblog.fr... The site which used to publish all old Kotaku rumors when they were already debunked all over the internet for hours (and even on Kotaku itself).

Of course, it can be true... a bit like a broken watch is correct twice a day.

This site apparently is not reliable.

I believe the VGleaks rumor since it makes perfect sense and would explain the deathly silence regarding the game since 2011. But keeping the name Versus XIII and making it cross-gen makes no damn sense.

omonimo

Banned

I believe the VGleaks rumor since it makes perfect sense and would explain the deathly silence regarding the game since 2011. But keeping the name Versus XIII and making it cross-gen makes no damn sense.

Like Beyond two souls right? I bet GT 6 will follows the same fate.

Major changes to the game's design on the scale of what we've seen for Versus XIII is usually indicative of development hell. Changing the overworld style is not a small or easy change, unless they had nothing more than prototypes before it was changed. Things can change during development, but that kind of stuff is supposed to be nailed down before they go full force into production. Otherwise you end up with scope creep tons money wasted on unused content (oh hi FFXIII!)

Edit: Beaten by decoyplatypus

All of those changes were done in preproduction. Nothing has changed since it went into full production in mid/late 2011.

All of those changes were done in preproduction. Nothing has changed since it went into full production in mid/late 2011.

Even what they showed in 2011 was basically a prototype. I think the only other change talked about was replacing some in game cutscenes with FMV.

the rumor was originally posted by neogaf user verendus, then it was elaborated by banned user Zeal, Kagari the admin has been dropping hints here and there...

edit:

Verendus was wrong about Guerrilla Games - He said they would reveal a new IP at the PS4 press conference, said it wouldn't be Killzone.

Zeal was just bull shitting and probably got permabanned

Kagari was wrong about Final Fantasy XIII staying PS3 exclusive.

So all three sources are dubious at best

Best of both worlds here. SE gets that massive userbase and we get a next gen version. Only party not winning here would be Sony as I am sure they would rather have a PS4 exclusive FF to sell systems but being exclusive to PS systems is the next best thing for them

Soriku

the rumor was originally voted by neogaf user: verendus, then it was elaborated by banned user Zeal, Kagari the admin has been dropping hints here and there...

Unless I'm not aware, Kagari hasn't said anything definitive and said she doesn't know anything herself.

Zeal comes off as bullshit.

Verendus: Status pending. But I went through his post history and he knew nothing one week, then dropped his Versus "bomb" the next at the same time Orbis specs came out. So I'm not that inclined to believe him.

I just wish E3 would hurry up so we can put this crap to rest.

Ghazi

This rumor is BS. Final Fantasy Versus XIII (XV) will not be a cross generational title.
And how can you say this with full confidence without knowing what's happening inside SE right now about?

As implausible as it sounds I'm still willing to have a confirmation on its validity because it certainly isn't something that's impossible.

Unless I'm not aware, Kagari hasn't said anything definitive and said she doesn't know anything herself.

Zeal comes off as bullshit.

Verendus: Status pending. But I went through his post history and he knew nothing one week, then dropped his Versus "bomb" the next at the same time Orbis specs came out. So I'm not that inclined to believe him.

I just wish E3 would hurry up so we can put this crap to rest.

There was also the Roen "mistake".

This is what Verendus posted about Guerrilla Games and Versus13

I could find out, but I think they'll be unveiling a new IP this year. I don't think Killzone 4 will be there first. As far as I'm aware anyway.

It's a new IP for definite. I don't want to say more than that because we're only a few months away and it'll be much more impressive to have a full reveal. It'd be unfair to GG, and this is going to be a really huge event for them. Plus I know very little, and it's no point putting it out there. It' be more detrimental than anything else. I can tell you it's not like Killzone.

He was totally wrong about GG OR they might showing the new IP at E3?! Highly unlikely since they are working on a PS4 launch game

I can spill the following comfortably though since I think this developer is a bit of a joke, and I think people are beginning to suspect this anyway. Versus XIII will have another unveiling later this year regarding development for the next generation. It won't have the "Versus XIII" part in the title. It will definitely release in 2014. You can have my account deleted if this information turns out to be inaccurate. News is fresh on this and I'm really confident about it. FF15 and FF16 are underway, both next generation projects. There's a chance FF15, in particular, may be an exclusive release. Kind of. And with that, I'm off to sleep.

we gotta wait and see what happens here

And how can you say this with full confidence without knowing what's happening inside SE right now about?

As implausible as it sounds I'm still willing to have a confirmation on its validity because it certainly is t something that's impossible.

Logic. Also rumblings from others.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
This is what Verendus posted about Guerrilla Games and Versus13

He was totally wrong about GG OR they might showing the new IP at E3?! Highly unlikely since they are working on a PS4 launch game

we gotta wait and see what happens here

Many of us assumed Verendus and Zeal were full of lies when they were posting at the time. If you didn't know then... I don't know what to tell you.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Logic. Also rumblings from others.

Logic certainly doesn't dictate it would be PS4 exclusive unless Sony is involved financially. Why would SE put a game that is such a huge investment on a platform with such a tiny userbase when they have 70+ million PS3 owners that were already promised this game?

BibiMaghoo

Pretty sure I read someone post (maybe Kagari) that it would be renamed FFXV, and would be 'kind of' exclusive.

This matches up with 'kind of' exclusive. I believe.

the rumor was originally posted by neogaf user verendus, then it was elaborated by banned user Zeal, Kagari the admin has been dropping hints here and there...

edit:

Verendus was wrong about Guerrilla Games - He said they would reveal a new IP at the PS4 press conference, said it wouldn't be Killzone.

Zeal was just bull shitting and probably got permabanned

Kagari was wrong about Final Fantasy XIII staying PS3 exclusive.

So all three sources are dubious at best

To be fair, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Guerilla's new IP (which isn't exactly a secret) had a video ready to go, but Sony decided on showing Killzone at the last minute for brand recognition... and maybe because, unlike the new IP, Killzone was actually playable for demonstration purposes?

It's also been heavily hinted that S-E was supposed to have more to show, but that plan changed near crunch time, too (as elder Hashimoto's appearance was kind of bizarre and anti-climactic).

Ah well. E3 will be here soon. :)

Logic certainly doesn't dictate it would be PS4 exclusive unless Sony is involved financially. Why would SE put a game that is such a huge investment on a platform with such a tiny userbase when they have 70+ million PS3 owners that were already promised this game?

70 million people are not going to buy the game.

And FFXV isn't a new IP. It could even sell better as a ps4 exclusive instead of ps3. How did FFX sell way more than FFXII? And FFVII and VIII sold way more than IX.

Because they invested millions of dollars into the Luminous engine. Let's face it, it won't run on Wii U (I know it can scale down but it won't be worth it), Xbox is a failure in Japan and so is PC gaming. Now unless Square wants to go 3DS exclusive for the entirety of next gen, it is in their best interest to promote PS4 in Japan, it's the only system that will be able to run Luminous and let Square capture the lucrative JRPG market in Japan.

Or they could simply say fuck it and focus on 3DS....

LuuKyK

I know nothing but for me there are only two distinct possibilities, and they are:

1) Its a PS3 game and will launch soon after its announced at E3.

2) Its a PS4 game and will launch like 6~7 months after the console is launched for it to at least have a considerable userbase (this is probably the most believable one considering Hashimoto comments on the PS4 reveal conference).

The matter of it being exclusive or not really depends on the rumor of Sony helping it or not. And that could really go both ways, there is no way to tell. Its pretty reasonable to believe its true though, especially if its a PS4 game.

I just dont know how they would handle a cross gen game at all. How would they advertise it? Buy the inferior version for less? Buy the PS4 one and get the PS3 version for free? Doesnt seem like something they would do.

Its a really weird situation, and I feel even they are (were?) confused of what decision to make. Cant wait for E3 so we have this behind us.

I am sure you could argue the same about VII and X when they were announced and released early in PS1 and PS2 eras.

The thing is when Versus does release it won't be in the launch window. It'll be months after that. PS4 will have a sizable userbase by that point. It's not this huge risk many are trying to make it out to be.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
70 million people are not going to buy the game.

And FFXV isn't a new IP. It could even sell better as a ps4 exclusive instead of ps3. How did FFX sell way more than FFXII? And FFVII and VIII sold way more than IX.

Obviously 70 million aren't, but how close to launch are we talking? Because releasing on a platform with an install base of 3 million is giving you a 3 million unit ceiling. Sure, people are going to buy into it over time, but then you're talking about sales that are probably going to come after price drops.

I'm also part of the group that doesn't expect the PS4 or any next-gen console to set the world on fire, which probably also paints my perspective.

To be fair, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Guerilla's new IP (which isn't exactly a secret) had a video ready to go, but Sony decided on showing Killzone at the last minute for brand recognition... and maybe because, unlike the new IP, Killzone was actually playable for demonstration purposes?

It's also been heavily hinted that S-E was supposed to have more to show, but that plan changed near crunch time, too (as elder Hashimoto's appearance was kind of bizarre and anti-climactic).

Ah well. E3 will be here soon. :)

I understand what you are saying, that press conference was interesting. Sony showed two old IP's (Infamous and Killzone) both of which have had ho-hum sales and two new ip's (Knack and DriveClub), I guess they want KZ and infamous to become bigger, that's why they showed them first.

Soriku

Because they invested millions of dollars into the Luminous engine. Let's face it, it won't run on Wii U (I know it can scale down but it won't be worth it), Xbox is a failure in Japan and so is PC gaming. Now unless Square wants to go 3DS exclusive for the entirety of next gen, it is in their best interest to promote PS4 in Japan, it's the only system that will be able to run Luminous and let Square capture the lucrative JRPG market in Japan.

Or they could simply say fuck it and focus on 3DS....

They don't necessarily need Versus for that though. If Versus isn't the game they're revealing at E3, it just means they have another main FF game in the works and that one would've likely being developed alongside Luminous. So they can still build up a PS4 fanbase without hinging on Versus.

Tbh though, not really speaking for SE, but I'm sure the JRPG market will follow the PS4 regardless. FF XIII didn't come out till 2010 (Dec 2009 in Japan) and I'd say there's a pretty good JRPG market on the PS3 (just look at Tales of Xillia sales). I don't doubt things will be similar for PS4.

They don't necessarily need Versus for that though. If Versus isn't the game they're revealing at E3, it just means they have another main FF game in the works and that one would've likely being developed alongside Luminous. So they can still build up a PS4 fanbase without hinging on Versus.

Tbh though, not really speaking for SE, but I'm sure the JRPG market will follow the PS4 regardless. FF XIII didn't come out till 2010 (Dec 2009 in Japan) and I'd say there's a pretty good JRPG market on the PS3 (just look at Tales of Xillia sales). I don't doubt things will be similar for PS4.

They need a game, something exciting ASAP. Sony knows this too...if they wait too long to show exciting games for the PS4, the gamers will lose interest in the system and stick with handhelds. However if they show something mind blowing at E3 and have it playble at TGS, it will generate a lot of hype for the system in Japan. Key thing here is timing, you can't wait for fall 2014 to release a FF game for PS4. By that time it will be too late.

Square NEEDS PS4 to succeed in Japan, they have invested millions into luminous and I am guessing the game designers at Square are excited about the Luminous.

I understand what you are saying, that press conference was interesting. Sony showed two old IP's (Infamous and Killzone) both of which have had ho-hum sales and two new ip's (Knack and DriveClub), I guess they want KZ and infamous to become bigger, that's why they showed them first.

Agreed.
It's also good business these days, like it or not, to show a shooter... and Killzone is the big one for Sony right now. It will also be a launch game supposedly.
If the rumors/speculation is true and Guerilla's new IP is some kind of FP-medieval/fantasy game (can you imagine that with Guerilla's tech-wizards?), I could see that getting massive attention once Sony starts rolling out videos of PS4 games, but I think it would have been ballsy for them to show that at the PS Meeting over a more recognizable brand.

Like you just said- the PS Meeting had a good balance of familiar and new. With E3 they won't have to play it as conservatively, IMO.

Can't wait.

Agreed.
It's also good business these days, like it or not, to show a shooter... and Killzone is the big one for Sony right now. It will also be a launch game supposedly.
If the rumors/speculation is true and Guerilla's new IP is some kind of FP-medieval/fantasy game (can you imagine that with Guerilla's tech-wizards?), I could see that getting massive attention once Sony starts rolling out videos of PS4 games, but I think it would have been ballsy for them to show that at the PS Meeting over a more recognizable brand.

Like you just said- the PS Meeting had a good balance of familiar and new. With E3 they won't have to play it as conservatively, IMO.

Can't wait.

yea timing is everything. They made an interesting move with Killzone, I hope the game continues to blow people away because it will face tough competition from Battlefield 4 and COD Next. I don't think going up against those two is a good idea though...

Soriku

They need a game, something exciting ASAP. Sony knows this too...if they wait too long to show exciting games for the PS4, the gamers will lose interest in the system and stick with handhelds. However if they show something mind blowing at E3 and have it playble at TGS, it will generate a lot of hype for the system in Japan. Key thing here is timing, you can't wait for fall 2014 to release a FF game for PS4. By that time it will be too late.

I think you're assuming too much. People won't lost interest in the PS4 and starting gaming on handhelds. That's ridiculous because there's going to be a VAST difference between a PS4 and a handheld. Handheld games won't be a substitute for big next-gen console games. Plus, most people don't have an interest in new systems right away. They can do incredibly well without exploding out of the gate; many systems are like this.

I don't know why you think Fall 2014 is too late for a PS4 FF. Just for reference, the PS1 came out Dec 1994 in Japan. FF VII released January 1997. 2 years later. PS2 released March 2000 in Japan. FF X released July 2001. Over a year later. Both games sold incredibly well, both systems sold incredibly well.

Having a FF early in the PS4's life would definitely be beneficial but let's not get ridiculous now and assume a game coming Fall 2014 for example would be "too late."

I think you're assuming too much. People won't lost interest in the PS4 and starting gaming on handhelds. That's ridiculous because there's going to be a VAST difference between a PS4 and a handheld. Handheld games won't be a substitute for big next-gen console games. Plus, most people don't have an interest in new systems right away. They can do incredibly well without exploding out of the gate; many systems are like this.

I don't know why you think Fall 2014 is too late for a PS4 FF. Just for reference, the PS1 came out Dec 1994 in Japan. FF VII released January 1997. 2 years later. PS2 released March 2000 in Japan. FF X released July 2001. Over a year later. Both games sold incredibly well, both systems sold incredibly well.

Having a FF early in the PS4's life would definitely be beneficial but let's not get ridiculous now and assume a game coming Fall 2014 for example would be "too late."

I was talking about Japan, a handheld nation. Sony needs to be careful with planning release dates and drumming up support for the system in Japan. Look at what happens to system with sparse game releases like the Vita, they start to die off.

Now let's get real for a second, Luminous is already running on PS4, Square has promised to show a Final Fantasy game for PS4 at E3.

Is it going to be:
Final Fantasy XIV - A MMORPG Square is about to relaunch
Final Fantasy 13-3 - A HD port running on PS4
Final Fantasy XV - Versus13, that has been hiding for years....with several dropping hints about it.

I doubt Square Enix has enough resources to be working on another FF besides the three games I listed above....

It would be idiotic to show a FF game for PS4 at this e3 and having it launch in late 2014. I am sorry, but whatever they are planning to show, they will show it with a release date. Look at what happend with Nova Crystallis, they showed stuff too early and it was a complete disaster....

Go_Ly_Dow

I'm okay with cross-gen as the PS4 version takes advantage of all the extra power. Hope they take notes from other cross-gen titles like Watch Dogs.

Soriku

I was talking about Japan, a handheld nation. Sony needs to be careful with planning release dates and drumming up support for the system in Japan. Look at what happens to system with sparse game releases like the Vita, they start to die off.

Now let's get real for a second, Luminous is already running on PS4, Square has promised to show a Final Fantasy game for PS4 at E3.

Is it going to be:
Final Fantasy XIV - A MMORPG Square is about to relaunch
Final Fantasy 13-3 - A HD port running on PS4
Final Fantasy XV - Versus13, that has been hiding for years....with several dropping hints about it.

I doubt Square Enix has enough resources to be working on another FF besides the three games I listed about....

It would be idiotic to show a FF game for PS4 at this e3 and having it launch in late 2014. I am sorry, but whatever they are planning to show, they will show it with a release date.

I know you were talking about Japan, but even in Japan handhelds won't be a substitute for many people. They're too different. I don't think we have to worry about a Vita situation with the PS4; I expect it to be very successful. It's going to be the most viable next-gen console for JP developers.

I don't know if SE has enough resources for a main FF game, but FF XIV and LR will be released this year so they'll be freed up. I really really doubt they'll give an actual release date if the E3 FF is not Versus though. They've changed FF XIII's date a million times and I don't expect them to come up with a conclusive date for a next-gen FF. Holy shit, FF XIV doesn't even have a release window on the PS3 right now.

Trigger

*whew*

Now we can wait 5 more years for Kingdom Hearts III.

r4CiE.png

I know you were talking about Japan, but even in Japan handhelds won't be a substitute for many people. They're too different. I don't think we have to worry about a Vita situation with the PS4; I expect it to be very successful. It's going to be the most viable next-gen console for JP developers.

I don't know if SE has enough resources for a main FF game, but FF XIV and LR will be released this year so they'll be freed up. I really really doubt they'll give an actual release date if the E3 FF is not Versus though. They've changed FF XIII's date a million times and I don't expect them to come up with a conclusive date for a next-gen FF. Holy shit, FF XIV doesn't even have a release window on the PS3 right now.

It can't be successful without games and nothing sells a system like Japan like Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy...the FF game Square Enix is planning to show has to be Versus13. We know they have changed it's name to Final Fantasy XV, the XIII brand is in tatters so there is no point in calling it FF Versus13. It can't be anything else IMO. People at Square Enix were tied with FF14 for a long time, so it makes sense that Sony is co-developing the game.

Top Bottom