• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII: Rebirth releases February 29, 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

Go_Ly_Dow

4K Upload

F6CC0HDW0AA9l0H

F6CCvZ_WcAAJToq

F6CCtVIWYAA7rgI

Last edited:

lestar

Actually looks good. Just hope it doesn't have a plethora of slow everything down moments (forced walking, squeezing through openings, etc) that the first part did. Absolutely ruined that game for me.

Probably but both their HP was high indicating Cloud isn't a low level mook like he should be. In fact he has higher HP than at other "current day" parts. Since these aren't simple remakes it could just be illustrating that this version of Cloud is actually much stronger than the OG version of Cloud was.
In the original, Cloud was level 5, and Sephiroth was level 60. It was a short section, and you could completely obliterate everything the game throws at you with him. Maybe this time, this section is longer, and they buffed Cloud and nerfed Sephiroth to make it more balanced and not a cakewalk.

Synless

Actually looks good. Just hope it doesn't have a plethora of slow everything down moments (forced walking, squeezing through openings, etc) that the first part did. Absolutely ruined that game for me.

Probably but both their HP was high indicating Cloud isn't a low level mook like he should be. In fact he has higher HP than at other "current day" parts. Since these aren't simple remakes it could just be illustrating that this version of Cloud is actually much stronger than the OG version of Cloud was.
OR
You recall he is remembering those actions through a memory of Zack and not himself. Zack would have been much higher level than Cloud. Cloud was just some fucking guy when they went to nibilhiem.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
OR
You recall he is remembering those actions through a memory of Zack and not himself. Zack would have been much higher level than Cloud. Cloud was just some fucking guy when they went to nibilhiem.
Correct. Cloud only had basic training. His amazing feat in Nibelheim boils down to persistence, luck and barbarian adrenaline pumping rage. A lot of factors converge on the incident being a very focal point of the timelines at the incident.

lestar

OR
You're right; they are fixing the inconsistency of the original. You are supposed to be playing the flashback as Zack, a Class A Soldier, not a rookie level 5 soldier as Cloud really was.

Last edited:

Katajx

You're not enjoying everything else that's out there, though?

2023 has been amazing, nevermind our collective backlogs..
Not EVERYtHING. I’ve been going a little slower this year and working on my backlog too. I don’t think Spider-Man 2, Baldurs Gate 3, and finishing Starfield is going to last until late February or April if there’s a delay.

Also there are levels. RE4 remake my family and I blasted through that weekend. TOTK didn’t last long either.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

Uhhhhh I mean I kind of expected it but still...
Well beating hard mode and especially after super bosses you have bunch of absolutely broken item can break the game….there is no way they would let you carry over your crazy strong build save file.

In .Hack games they would let you carry you saves between each parts but those games were one game dividend between volumes.

Last edited:

graywolf323

Well beating hard mode and especially after super bosses you have bunch of absolutely broken item can break the game….there is no way let carry over you crazy strong build save file.

In .Hack games they would let you carry you saves between each parts but those games were one game divi between volumes.
it does sound like they’ll give you bonus stuff for carrying over a save, you just don’t carry over your levels & what not

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Not EVERYtHING. I’ve been going a little slower this year and working on my backlog too. I don’t think Spider-Man 2, Baldurs Gate 3, and finishing Starfield is going to last until late February or April if there’s a delay.

Also there are levels. RE4 remake my family and I blasted through that weekend. TOTK didn’t last long either.
I see your point.

For me, though, I am finding a lot of interesting games that could last me up until like... 2123, lol.

Last edited:

Elios83

Final Fantasy VII Remake showed the story up until the escape from Midgar, but what point does Final Fantasy VII Rebirth take us up to?

Nomura:
We have mentioned this a few times before, but the order in which you can explore the locations is not the same as the original Final Fantasy VII, and there are some shifts in the order. For example, Wutai, one of the major locations, is not part of the route in Final Fantasy VII Rebirth and will be visited in the next one. Although there are some changes in the order of the locations, the locations depicted in this title extend up to “The Forgotten Capital,” where the greatest fate of Final Fantasy VII awaits you.

I knew it would end THERE.

Reaseru

Last edited:
I was hoping that, with the final part of trilogy, they would mix the three parts into one giant game, and update the older assets from the older parts/games with newer/updated assets,... but it seems it will not be the case.

Shame...
They did update the PS4 release of the Remake when they made the PS5 version, the entire lighting system and many textures (maybe assets too?) were updated. Not a complete overhaul or anything, but they definitely made updates more than just changing the resolution.

Reaseru

After Remake people already should expect Rebirth is not going follow the original story line. You either on this ride or you not.

I think the narrative/story is going to change to give....

....the fate both Zack and Aerith deserve.

YukiOnna

Yup. I'm in for the ride lol.

If I want the og story I'll play that version.
Kitase knows-- I feel the same way:

Yoshinori Kitase: I have also had experiences where a game that I loved and had a lot of fun with in the past was remade, and I bought it and played it out of the overwhelming nostalgia. It is enjoyable for a while, but the fun from that nostalgia only really lasts through the first sections. I realised this halfway through and didn’t carry on playing. Because of this, I decided that Final Fantasy 7 Remake would not just appeal to nostalgia, but would include a new story as well to feel both nostalgic and fresh at the same time.

The result of this is that, for Part 2 and Part 3, we are able to give fans the excitement of wondering which parts will be 100% faithful to the original – and where the new elements will be added.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I agree and I'm also excited about what's to come, but I feel that our opinion might be the minority on the matter.

I also think this will be the game where people who are wanting a 1:1 remake will fully step off of the train, if it wasn't apparent enough for them with the last one.
Once people let go of the fact that this isn't a Remake and the events of FFVII still happen, even certain Characters are aware of this
Then they'll be able to enjoy it for what it is.
Which is the best FF SE has put out in 20 years
People need to stop calling it a Remake or a Reimagining, it's not
It's a sequel
Whether that makes it worse or not is down to you

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Like anything else, the games should be critiqued based on merit. If they want to change stuff, fine, but if the things they change make the story worse, they should be criticized for it if people don't like it. Just because things change doesn't mean fans just have to accept it. Otherwise, you could argue that fans should just accept anything. They could kill Sephiroth off midway through Rebirth via a stray Shinra soldier bullet and people could say "The stories are different! It's just the way it is!" At the end of the day the changes will either be good or bad, and if they suck, people are going to take them to task. As they should. Criticism is how we get better stuff down the road.

YukiOnna

Like anything else, the games should be critiqued based on merit. If they want to change stuff, fine, but if the things they change make the story worse, they should be criticized for it if people don't like it. Just because things change doesn't mean fans just have to accept it. Otherwise, you could argue that fans should just accept anything. They could kill Sephiroth off midway through Rebirth via a stray Shinra soldier bullet and people could say "The stories are different! It's just the way it is!" At the end of the day the changes will either be good or bad, and if they suck, people are going to take them to task. As they should. Criticism is how we get better stuff down the road.
I dunno about people, but if I like it then that's all that matters. It's all subjective in the end and of course one doesn't have to accept it.
But if one is still upset over them changing the story and judging it from that lens, then that isn't really fair.

I was hoping that, with the final part of trilogy, they would mix the three parts into one giant game, and update the older assets from the older parts/games with newer/updated assets,... but it seems it will not be the case.

Shame...
I was also wanting a big 300GB game all seamless, but I think I understand why they're doing this. You'd be like level 250 by the end of the trilogy.

Minsc

Gold Member
I dunno about people, but if I like it then that's all that matters. It's all subjective in the end and of course one doesn't have to accept it.
But if one is still upset over them changing the story and judging it from that lens, then that isn't really fair.

Pretty much, akin to complaining that RE4 is a bad game because it's not like RE1, which plenty of people do (though many concede partway by saying it's a bad RE game, not a bad game in general).

I was hesitant to watch the trailer but I did and my my how did it made me feel so warm and nostalgic. This is going to be great.

Vincent <3

Reactions: K2D

Doom85

After Remake people already should expect Rebirth is not going follow the original story line. You either on this ride or you not.

Follow entirely? Of course not. But based on what the developers have said, this ride is unlikely to take as wild a detour as some are theorizing.

RayHell

Two game discs - interestingly, that is 200GB of compressed data. I have not heard of any PS5 games that reads off of a game disc, like on the PS4 as with the 7 remake.

Add to that the fact that oodle kraken compression on PS5 allows for 60 percent more data of that on PS4.

Tim And Eric Reaction GIF
Keep in mind having 2 disc doesn’t imply the second one is full. But yeah it is massive.

Reactions: K2D

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Follow entirely? Of course not. But based on what the developers have said, this ride is unlikely to take as wild a detour as some are theorizing.
I mean in Rebirth we already gonna follow timeline where Zack is still alive if thats not "wild detour" I dont know what is.

To me it doesn't matter, I liked what they did with Remake so I'm all in with Rebirth.

Muffdraul

I'm an old FF super fan since FFVI released in the US and that ended when FFXIII released and was the straw that broke this camel's back. I never felt any hype for FFXV or FFVIIR, but I played them and enjoyed them. I never played FFXIV at all, and it still pisses me off that they wasted roman numerals on MMORPGs that rightfully should have been titled FF Online and FF Online II. I felt the least hype of all for FFXVI and could only stomach that boring POS for about 25 hours before I stopped and would never go back to it even if you put a gun to my head.

But god damn if this new FFVII Rebirth trailer doesn't have me feeling like it's 1997 again.

I think most of the wildest detours will happen in Part 3. Part 2 is where you'll start to see the timeline slowly deviate more and more in an obvious way. Part 1 did things in somewhat subtle ways to confuse the audience.

The fact that the end credit stinger at the end of part 1 was an alternate timeline existing though, already means that there is a wild deviation. Sephiroth being introduced way too soon in the main timeline, another deviation. There possibly being two Sephiroths(Future and Present) on the field, another deviation. Aeris now knowing of this future, new present, and alternate Zack timeline, another deviation. The hooded men and also the spirits trying to fix timeline errors, another deviation. Soon it will grow out of control and it is all the fault of the man who went back in time in the first place, Sephiroth.

The fight at the very end of the trilogy is going to be much, much more impactful, because this time around it will be for all of the stakes and not just for the planet itself. Who knows, maybe...

the timelines will converge and you will team up with alternate timeline Zack and alternate timeline Cloud as all 3 of you fight the final team of Sephiroths together trying to save the world and all of time and space
similar to Spiderman No Way Home.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I was incredibly disappointed by how linear, stripped back, basic and dull Final Fantasy 16 was, so I'm very much hoping this is a vast improvement.

I actually applaud the changes they're making. I already put 200 hours into FF7 25 years ago.

Emerald Weapon looks awesome.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

I mean in Rebirth we already gonna follow timeline where Zack is still alive if thats not "wild detour" I dont know what is.

To me it doesn't matter, I liked what they did with Remake so I'm all in with Rebirth.
Annnnnd RIP me for thinking everyone was spoiler tagging in this thread.

saintjules

With all the emphasis on Zack I have a bad feeling this game is going to go way off script and make plot changes that are going to piss everyone off. But we’ll see.

I don't mind the alternate reality version. I'm glad they're off the beaten path here. But hey, as someone else said, they can play the original and forget the remake series exists.

Katajx

I think it will be like the Capcom REmakes just on a larger scale because of the genre. Familiar beats are there, some of them not in the same order.With some new content and some things greatly expanded on.

So far the events of the Remake don’t mean the rest of the events that fill up disc 1 aren’t going to happen. I expect that trend to mostly continue and the 7 universe to get expanded upon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom