• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake Game Cover Updated With "Timed Exclusive" Tag

Skyfox

Ive a pro and an X and Ive played the game on pro and this delay is a shame.

I dont mind paying early but the worst version of the game comes out a year earlier purely due to platform business model.

Devs did their job, customers did their job. Middle men got greedy.

Fbh

I get the surprise over death stranding since the details of the deal were only revealed during an interview before we even knew the game as Death Stranding.
But 7Remake got announced with a giant "play it FIRST on Ps4" sign.

Third party exclusives are a thing of the past.

Malakhov

Banned
I need to borrow or rent a PS4 if it's still possible in this day and age for this game. I'm not even sure if it's still possible to rent a console in 19/20 lol

kyoji

im just glad i have a playstation. ill be playing this day 1. I feel bad for any loyalist who will wait 365 days to experience the remake, let me know how spoilers and media black out goes. 😃

Celcius

°Temp. member
I reeeeeally don’t want to have to wait a whole year to play this on PC. Between this and avoiding stuff on the Epic Store, I’m tired of waiting on releases lol.

Significant timed exclusivity sucks, but this seems like a situation where future releases will benefit both from potential upgrades and whatever business decisions are made for handling subsequent installments. Otherwise, at least they're being transparent about the specifics on the timed window.

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
It was always a timed exclusive since the day it was announced. A year long exclusivity on a a game like this (assuming its good and i see no reason why it wouldnt be) is still a huge deal. If sony were smart theyd be at the table negotiating timed exclusivity on all future chapters as well. With Jim ryan being mr multiplatform these past few days its hard to tell i they will pursue more timed exclusives though.

Bigrx1

Banned
But no mention of it only being the first 1/3rd of the original game

This is actually really huge and seems to be getting glossed over. The percent of people who buy this game that are like us sitting on gaming forums is super small there are definitely going to be a lot of people who pick it up and just think it's the whole game. Wonder if they will change it at some point or let people just buy it and find out later it's like part 1 of 3 lol.

diffusionx

Gold Member
If this were an Xbox time exclusive for Xbox the internet would be burning, but it's Sony's it's fine.

Square just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase FFVII for any system, nor will they purchase any of Square's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Square has alienated an entire market with this move.

Square, publicly apologize and reinstate FFVII exclusivity for PS4 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
This is actually really huge and seems to be getting glossed over. The percent of people who buy this game that are like us sitting on gaming forums is super small there are definitely going to be a lot of people who pick it up and just think it's the whole game. Wonder if they will change it at some point or let people just buy it and find out later it's like part 1 of 3 lol.
Maybe the other two / three / eight "episodes" will just be DLC for this game? I mean, despite the inevitable next-gen re-release with the complete package. The fact that we don't even know how much of the story's content will be present here, or how many games will be released in total.

Either way, I'm personally pretty uncomfortable with the dangerous precedent this game is setting as a result, despite having pre-ordered it over four years ago.

diffusionx, what the hell are you talking about?

Sony never said anything about this game being exclusive. They even said in 2015 at the time of its reveal, that you can play it first on PS4. Can you show one instance where they said it's a full exclusive? No, because there is none. Everyone knew it was not a full exclusive, or at least people who follow the news closely.

And you want to teach about Japanese culture? You are right that honor is a big part of life here and a company is risking to lose their face, when doing something wrong or lying, but Sony never lied about this one. And I live already over 10 years in Japan, my wife is Japanese, my 2 children are half Japanese, my friends are Japanese and even my co-workers are Japanese and there is nothing shameful in the way Sony communicated this.

Guess you are either a troll or just a huge XBOX fanboy, who is very upset about the timed exclusivity.

And actually, I was thinking the whole time, it's exclusive for 3 months tops, but that it is actually exclusive for a full year is huge news. Question is only if it will be still released for XBOX One or just skip it and only release for Scarlet.

By the way for the people, who blame Sony for not having full exclusivity or Square Enix to release it on other platforms, you know nothing about business. Sony must have made calculations that a full exclusivity is not worth the extra money it costs and Square Enix has a fiduciary duty to maximize profits for their shareholders.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Except for Switch, probably 💁‍♂️

Here's your Switch version:

ff7_switch_letterbox_1553680563219.jpg

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Sony never said anything about this game being exclusive. They even said in 2015 at the time of its reveal, that you can play it first on PS4. Can you show one instance where they said it's a full exclusive? No, because there is none. Everyone knew it was not a full exclusive, or at least people who follow the news closely.

And you want to teach about Japanese culture? You are right that honor is a big part of life here and a company is risking to lose their face, when doing something wrong or lying, but Sony never lied about this one. And I live already over 10 years in Japan, my wife is Japanese, my 2 children are half Japanese, my friends are Japanese and even my co-workers are Japanese and there is nothing shameful in the way Sony communicated this.

Guess you are either a troll or just a huge XBOX fanboy, who is very upset about the timed exclusivity.

And actually, I was thinking the whole time, it's exclusive for 3 months tops, but that it is actually exclusive for a full year is huge news. Question is only if it will be still released for XBOX One or just skip it and only release for Scarlet.

By the way for the people, who blame Sony for not having full exclusivity or Square Enix to release it on other platforms, you know nothing about business. Sony must have made calculations that a full exclusivity is not worth the extra money it costs and Square Enix has a fiduciary duty to maximize profits for their shareholders.

:messenger_grinning_sweat:

Oh thanks for the clarification, didn't knew this was a thing. Just made me angry reading this comment, since Square never said anything about exclusivity, but I guess it was just meant as a bit instead.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
While I’ve been saying it’s a timed exclusive for years here (and had people tell me I was a butt hurt fanboy for saying it), one thing that’s remained utterly clear is yeah, that original trailer said play it first.... but that didn’t stop Sony in every chance say otherwise. They never flat out said it was exclusive, but they also never said it wasn’t, and their whole media campaign was all about the game for a long time.

So I really can’t blame people for thinking it’s a full on exclusive. But, you know, it was obvious it wasn’t. The only thing that could have happened was at some stage Sony may have bought it fully quietly and didn’t say. But then, that goes against how Sony act.

I still think it’s really scummy that the game doesn’t say anywhere on the box “part one”. Sure the back text may say in it’s description but 99% of people browsing the game will just see that cover and be like “shit dawg I need it”.

It won’t matter, because I’ll be there day one, and also be there day 365. They have their sale from me regardless of any of this, as I’m not a thicko and I’ve followed its progress. But some people really have lived in a bubble.

GHG

If this were an Xbox time exclusive for Xbox the internet would be burning, but it's Sony's it's fine.

Where are the die hard Final Fantasy fans who only own an Xbox? Show me them.

I'm waiting.

Last edited:
I still think it’s really scummy that the game doesn’t say anywhere on the box “part one”.

While I've seen many scummy things from companies, I don't think this qualifies as one of them imo. I think it was an artistic choice. Now that somewhat gets thrown out of the window with the ugly exclusivity stamp on the cover, but at least their being honest about it, so give them some credit. About the "Part one" argument, I think people who already played FF7 already knows this is only part 1, while newcomers will enjoy it all the same, so I don't think it's a big deal. I've seen scummier things from other companies that are rarely talked about, but the scummiest thing I've seen SE done involves FFXV, and what a big mess that turn out to be, which will forever be left incomplete.

I didn't even notice the 2021. I was thinking it was the same month. Like oh that's not too bad. A year though? Might as well be exclusive.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
While I've seen many scummy things from companies, I don't think this qualifies as one of them imo. I think it was an artistic choice. Now that somewhat gets thrown out of the window with the ugly exclusivity stamp on the cover, but at least their being honest about it, so give them some credit. About the "Part one" argument, I think people who already played FF7 already knows this is only part 1, while newcomers will enjoy it all the same, so I don't think it's a big deal. I've seen scummier things from other companies that are rarely talked about, but the scummiest thing I've seen SE done involves FFXV, and what a big mess that turn out to be, which will forever be left incomplete.

These took me less than a minute to make in photoshop, you can't tell me they are worse than what they did. Zero confusion. Unless of course... They are planning on the confusion selling copies. But then any FF fan is foaming at the mouth for this already, and any new coming wont know anyway, as you say:

ReLQIim.jpg

dA4Ct4b.jpg

These took me less than a minute to make in photoshop, you can't tell me they are worse than what they did. Zero confusion. Unless of course... They are planning on the confusion selling copies. But then any FF fan is foaming at the mouth for this already, and any new coming wont know anyway, as you say:

ReLQIim.jpg

dA4Ct4b.jpg

I prefer the first one, the second one is just hideous. But if I have to be perfectly honest I prefer the original without "Part one" and without the Exclusive tag, the best. I'm a graphic artist myself, so for the trained eye, the simpler, the better it looks.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I prefer the first one, the second one is just hideous. But if I have to be perfectly honest I prefer the original without "Part one" and without the Exclusive tag, the best. I'm a graphic artist myself, so for the trained eye, the simpler, the better it looks.

Yeah hopefully that exclusive stuff will be a sticker on the case.

Though this reminds me, recently, xbox games have been doing this utterly stupid thing where it says XBOX ONE on the insert... WHY. WHY DO THIS?! As a designer myself this really blows my mind...

w1GSEu6.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah hopefully that exclusive stuff will be a sticker on the case.

Though this reminds me, recently, xbox games have been doing this utterly stupid thing where it says XBOX ONE on the insert... WHY. WHY DO THIS?! As a designer myself this really blows my mind...

w1GSEu6.jpg

I agree, that's excessive and redundant. Reminds me of some other ugly covers like the greatest hits, or I don't know if you remember this:

images

absolute trash!

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I agree, that's excessive and redundant. Reminds me of some other ugly covers like the greatest hits, or I don't know if you remember this:

images

absolute trash!

Yeah, I used to hate it when games went Platinum on PSOne and PS2 as well, it totally messed up my shelf. Same can be said about RDR2 on xbox, I just want to throw it out the window. Design stuff like this really pisses me off, even more so when you have a gorgeous cover and 78.6% of it is devoted to some ugly ass logo.

Last edited:
Yeah, I used to hate it when games went Platinum on PSOne and PSTwo as well, it totally messed up my shelf. Same can be said about RDR2 on xbox, I just want to throw it out the window. Design stuff like this really pisses me off, even more so when you have a gorgeous cover and 78.6% of it is devoted to some ugly ass logo.

Yep, ever since I've moved to PC, I don't really have that problem with games anymore. But as an anime collector, I can't bring myself to buy that S.A.V.E. garbage and put it on my shelf. I rather look online and spend extra on a original used copy than have that Green slime label they put on insert, they're deliberately ruining the original artwork!

cireza

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase FFVII for any system, nor will they purchase any of Square's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Square has alienated an entire market with this move.

Square, publicly apologize and reinstate FFVII exclusivity for PS4 or you can kiss your business goodbye.
I got that reference :messenger_ok:

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member

Can we retire this joke already?

It was funny the first time, the second time, even the tenth time, but now when everyone and their flee ridden dogs feel obligated to pull it out every time someone does something that someone, somewhere, at some point in time might object to...

It's a dead horse buddy, stop kicking it. It's not healthy, or sanitary.

It's a pasta my dude.

Dr.Morris79

Episodic shit. Just cant muster any interest in this. For years we've had little pieces of games sold back to us via DLC and MT's, but a whole game? A game we know the start and end of? How fucking pointless.

Bollocks. It was bad enough they put Hitman through this shite

If Sony knows what's good for them, they should take full advantage and release this game on PSNOW for PC on launch and make millions of subscribers, and not wait years like with GOW and Spider-Man, 'cause once the exclusivity period expire, people are going to buy the game officially through PC/Steam.

Top Bottom