• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake |OT| - The Reunion is coming

Boneless

I'm not really sure what OG FF7 fans are upset about to be honest, if it's just the ending they hate. The game heavily implies the direction it's heading the entire time and it plays out accordingly. If you enjoyed the entire game until the ending, I'm convinced you didn't pay any attention to this game's storyline and were simply replaying the old game in your head.

Yes the game hints towards whispers and faith, but the last chapte you are suddenly:
taken into a different dimension or timeline or something?
shows you some weird whisper boss that is never explained or hinted towards, with whisper subbosses that are not explained
shows golden sprinkles at the end, zack, an explosion in zack's timeline, cloud & zack in a different timeline, a complete mess

Saying "the game heavily implies the direction it's heading" is just complete rubbish.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
I'm still struggling with getting comfortable settings for the battle lock-on and camera stuff.

I read some comments saying pushing the camera distance to 3, and setting a higher stick sensitivity will help with battlefield assessment. I find the lock on and associated auto-camera sort of garbage, but free camera control means you are constantly adjusting it to keep things in check.

Kumomeme

during the first bombing mission, when the crew exit the reactor, i kind of dissapointed that there no that Wedge's funny scene where he run around with his burned ass like in the original

i dont know if its just me didnt realize it sooner, but they didnt remove it but 'move' the scene to chapter 4 with Wedge's ass get bite by dog instead...Jessie even mention it as like a 'minor burn' for a reason

Last edited:
Yes the game hints towards whispers and faith, but the last chapte you are suddenly:
taken into a different dimension or timeline or something?
shows you some weird whisper boss that is never explained or hinted towards, with whisper subbosses that are not explained
shows golden sprinkles at the end, zack, an explosion in zack's timeline, cloud & zack in a different timeline, a complete mess

Saying "the game heavily implies the direction it's heading" is just complete rubbish.

I'm not talking about knowing the actual execution of the plot....I'm referring to the trope FF7R follows which has been done time and time again in other media. It was heavily implied the whole time. I suspected it after meeting Sephiroth and expected it after meeting Aerith and the Whispers. And yeah, how they executed it was weird and random - if that's what people take issue with, I get it.

Even though I felt disappointed, this ending doesn't really matter to me because it's going to be entirely dependent on the competency of the sequels following up on it. Which interestingly, is exactly how I felt when the gang left Midgar in the original game. I mean, don't people remember how absolutely insane the game turned at the end of the Midgar portion in the original? You spent hours just fighting against a bog-standard evil corporation, your run-of-the-mill plot. Suddenly Sephiroth shows up (who you know almost nothing about), kills a bunch of people, takes his mother with him who is apparently some kind of alien and now you're off on this completely sideways quest from where you started. That was weird and random, but it turned out pretty good so I'll give this story a chance too.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
ok Chapter 9 is holy shit awesome.

just saw the Honey Bee dress reveal, wow, that was amazing. brilliant idea to add DDR and Queer Eye for the Straight Guy to this possibly problematic story line. plus it is very queer positive in a non annoying way, since there was always this underlying sense that something like this was going on way back in the original.

the way they are treating all the more adult themes in this game is really well done. this is all stuff you really can't get in the old game, with dialog boxes and mostly static images. stuff like this makes me glad this is a Remake and not a Remaster. its cool cos not only does it expand the lore of the original, it is it's own new thing as well.

Arkage

Banned
Sometimes casting a magic attack spell does nothing which is kinda bullshit. Just did the Shiva VR mission and there were a bunch of times where she’s seemingly doing nothing but the spell gets nullified. I understand not to cast when they’re going to attack but it’s just not that clear sometimes.

I had a similar issue with Eligor. On Hard he casts reflect on himself and the party, meaning if you try to group heal yourself with a spell it reflects back to him, and if you cast a spell on him it bounces onto you. It was really difficult to tell when he had reflect up and when my own party did, since the icons for status effects are so damn small below the character name.

sublimit

Banned
The more i play the more i feel that there was no need (other than milking it to death) to stretch this game as much as they did. Lots of repetition,new scenes that add nothing,sections that could have easily been no more than 5 minutes are being stretched to half an hout etc...It's basically corridor,cutscene,boss,repeat ad nauseum with some lazy,boring fetchquests here and there.

It's also so linear it hurts. Obviously the Midgar part in the original was also very linear but unlike this one it was also very short. It was an introduction that never overstayed its welcome and the pacing was fantastic. The pacing in this game however is so slow it's painful. It seems they copied only what benefited them from the original (the linearity) while they took the liberty to change anything else as long as it helped to make it as stretched as possible.

Arkage

Banned
Kalm also has the traveler from the original so if they intend to do the super bosses again it could make a good hub for a whole slew of "Hunt" type missions a la FFXV.

I can't see it, simply because I don't think they can afford to delay the story with extra sidequests or dungeons. There is so much story content left to get through now in 2 more games that to me it seems a bit ridiculous. I.E. there were four "towns" in this game (3 slums, & I'll count Shinra Tower since it has dense populations and dialogue). These are the major towns left to go:

Kalm
Junon
Costa Del Sol
Mt Corel/Corel Prison
Gold Saucer
Gongaga
Cosmo Canyon
Nibelheim
Rocket Town
Wutai
Bone Village
Icicle Inn
Mideel

I have no idea how they're going to be able to create that many towns over the next two games if they could only create four for this first game. People keep saying they think the second game should end at Aerith's death. That means they'd have to create 11 towns for the second game. So I'm wondering what they could cut. Kalm is just a flashback town with an optional materia guy. Gongaga, maybe, if they retell Zack's story a different way. Push Wutai back to the third game? Bone Village is just an elaborate mini-game. But everything else is vital leading up to City of the Ancients. Another thing, some of these towns are pretty small, like Mt Corel/Bone Village. But so was Sector 5 slum and they blew that up into a big area. Will they keep small towns small now, just to be more efficient? Seems like they'd have to. Or hell, maybe they'd rejigger events, and have the team go to the Temple of Ancients earlier in the game. Who even knows if the team will follow this path of travel in the first place. But the point stands: even if they don't walk the same path, I feel like SE would be compelled to recreate all the towns from the original game (with the exception of Kalm. That town really had nothing going for it lmao).

The more i play the more i feel that there was no need (other than milking it to death) to stretch this game as much as they did. Lots of repetition,new scenes that add nothing,sections that could have easily been no more than 5 minutes are being stretched to half an hout etc...It's basically corridor,cutscene,boss,repeat ad nauseum with some lazy,boring fetchquests here and there.

It's also so linear it hurts. Obviously the Midgar part in the original was also very linear but unlike this one it was also very short. It was an introduction that never overstayed its welcome and the pacing was fantastic. The pacing in this game however is so slow it's painful. It seems they copied only what benefited them from the original (the linearity) while they took the liberty to change anything else as long as it helped to make it as stretched as possible.

OG FF7 is very linear up until you get the airship. Hitting a world map may "feel" nonlinear, but it was still very linear.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
OG FF7 is very linear up until you get the airship. Hitting a world map may "feel" nonlinear, but it was still very linear.
I wouldn't say "very" but i agree it's still basically linear although it's also open enough to offer at least some degree of exploration that was a nice change of pace from the more restricted and linear Midgar part.

I feel like if they had made the Midgar part more shorter in this remake and instead included more of the sections after it, the pacing would have been much better and it would have also offered a bit more freedom of exploration (even though the progression would have still been linear) and a nice contrast in terms of environments.

TheAssist

I can't see it, simply because I don't think they can afford to delay the story with extra sidequests or dungeons. There is so much story content left to get through now in 2 more games that to me it seems a bit ridiculous. I.E. there were four "towns" in this game (3 slums, & I'll count Shinra Tower since it has dense populations and dialogue). These are the major towns left to go:

Kalm
Junon
Costa Del Sol
Mt Corel/Corel Prison
Gold Saucer
Gongaga
Cosmo Canyon
Nibelheim
Rocket Town
Wutai
Bone Village
Icicle Inn
Mideel

I have no idea how they're going to be able to create that many towns over the next two games if they could only create four for this first game. People keep saying they think the second game should end at Aerith's death. That means they'd have to create 11 towns for the second game. So I'm wondering what they could cut. Kalm is just a flashback town with an optional materia guy. Gongaga, maybe, if they retell Zack's story a different way. Push Wutai back to the third game? Bone Village is just an elaborate mini-game. But everything else is vital leading up to City of the Ancients. Another thing, some of these towns are pretty small, like Mt Corel/Bone Village. But so was Sector 5 slum and they blew that up into a big area. Will they keep small towns small now, just to be more efficient? Seems like they'd have to. Or hell, maybe they'd rejigger events, and have the team go to the Temple of Ancients earlier in the game. Who even knows if the team will follow this path of travel in the first place. But the point stands: even if they don't walk the same path, I feel like SE would be compelled to recreate all the towns from the original game (with the exception of Kalm. That town really had nothing going for it lmao).

Not to forget City and Temple of the Ancients plus the nothern crater including the final dungeon :D

Yeah I've been wondering how they would do that. They visit pretty much every location and then just revisit them later on, which means they front load a lot of the locations. Maybe they use their new story device to rearrange the order in which locations are visited.
From a dramatic point of view I would stop the next game with the release of the weapons. You cant really stop at Aeriths death, that would be too much of a low and two years later its hard to get in that mindset again. So the game hast to go a bit further. They can also not stop shortly before because you need to spend a significant time with her to make that scene feel worth while (and that time should not have been two years before). So they either have to come up with a lot of new stuff and end it really early, or use the foreshadowing or stop at the northern crater. Or do it in one go which seems unrealistic because of the scope of the game. A very interesting problem to tackle, but I think they will use the newly introduced elements of the story to maybe tell the story a bit less lineray.
We'll see.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Finished it on hard last night and I have 1 trophy left to get platinum. Some encounters on Hard were a lot more fun than they were on Normal and then there were some that felt like marathon grinds. I'm going to look online to see if I went in with a less than optimal loadout that made my life a lot more difficult.

Going to do another playthrough on Normal to see how quickly I can melt bosses with the goodies I got on Hard mode :)

Moogle11

Banned
I wish all materia could be bought. Few times I’ve hit a hard fight advice says to use the elemental one and apparently I missed that in an earlier chapter (I’m on 12 currently).

Nymphae

Banned
I miss having more materia slots. I'm at the hellhouse right now, and I'm not complaining that the game is too hard or whatever, I find myself stumbling through the game without a ton of difficulty on Normal, even while feeling like I do not have a great command of the battle systems/controls yet.

I just feel like for 20 hours or so I've been stuck with 2 party members with very limited materia slots, and chances to level things up are few and far between. I must be doing something wrong. Very few materia that I have are upgraded beyond the first level, I have an upgraded Cure, Ice, and Lightning, and I think that's it. I've been waiting for more grind opportunities but it seems like everything so far is very limited encounters, then a boss.

Still loving the shit out of it though. The colosseum having the post-battle music is so awesome, and Cloud doing the stance, perfect.

Last edited:

Hosam6xavi

Banned
now I'm level 50 on hard mode im surprised it says this is the Max level of the game

So does this mean part 2 we will continue with the same save file ?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
after doing some testing with materia combos I haven't used much before... Apparently the mobility on Tifa's parry is so high that if you spam it during the Bahamut fight, you can avoid all his attacks Lmao 😂

TheAssist

now I'm level 50 on hard mode im surprised it says this is the Max level of the game

So does this mean part 2 we will continue with the same save file ?

They could keep the stats and weapons/armor since they didnt go full out. You dont get much more than you would've gotten in the original midgar section, except for the late game stuff.
But materia needs to be reset. So its a half measure

T8SC

Gold Member
Just finished it.

So disappointed. Why did they have to change it so much? Why is the combat so awful? Why is Sephiroth constantly in your face and not a mysterious character for the first part of the overall story? The President Shinra scene is nowhere near as good as the original, WTF was that last chapter about? Why cant you control Red XIII?

I'm old enough to have played the original in 1997, it was genre defining. This, feels like the same mediocrity as XIII except with characters from VII for the nostalgia.

sublimit

Banned
Is a person allowed to hate this game here or do you get the same hivemind problem as resetera?
As long as you justify your opinion i don't see why there should be a problem. If you look back a lot of people have discussed various issues they have with the game.

Last edited:

bargeparty

As long as you justify your opinion i don't see why there should be a problem. If you look back a lot of people have discussed various issues they have with the game.

Well I'll not going to look through the entire thread to be honest. I'm not entirely sure why i need to justify my opinion, it's just an opinion this isn't a political debate or anything.

For example, I went through the Corneo stuff last night and it was just all cringe, I could barely take it.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
A little bit late to the party but I just now realized that when Aerith talks about the steel sky, it's not a metaphor. For the people in the slums below, the sky above them is literally steel lol.

whoosh.jpg
this is one element of the story that is missed almost entirely from the first release with it's overhead view. that steel sky is looming over everything in Midgar. imo with the Remake they have really done justice to how that would look in real life.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
Well I'll not going to look through the entire thread to be honest. I'm not entirely sure why i need to justify my opinion, it's just an opinion this isn't a political debate or anything.

For example, I went through the Corneo stuff last night and it was just all cringe, I could barely take it.
You don't have to justify it but it makes your opinion more credible and gives more room for discussion. But hey you're free to say what you want as you want.

And i agree about the Corneo stuff. I thought they went a bit too far and Cloud felt totally out of character at some points (and i'm not talking about the crossdressing)

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I'm not entirely sure why i need to justify my opinion, it's just an opinion this isn't a political debate or anything.
To be fair, some opinions are faulty because the are based on incomplete information or user error.

For example, if I said that I don't like this game because there's no run button, that would obviously be an opinion formed in error.

If you said something like, I don't like this game because they didn't stick exactly to the original story, then that's fine.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I found a strategy that works pretty well on

Bahamut

Party:

Tifa: Mythril claws, max out materia slots, MP, magic, and lowered attack spell cost.

Barret: Big Bertha, max out materia slots, HP, MP recovery, attack, HP recovery when low

Aerith: Silver Staff, max out materia slots, MP, magic, MP reduction, MP recovery

Use materia to boost everyone's MP as much as possible, also boost magic as much as possible, especially Aerith's.

ATB Assist on Tifa, Chakra on Barret and the rest of the materia can be whatever you want. I also used time + magnify on Barret.

Strategy:

Kite Bahamut between Aerith and Barret.

When the battle begins, start shooting with either Barret or Aerith. When you have Bahamut's attention, switch to the other character and start attacking to build ATB. Keep doing this until you can activate Barret's Lifesaver, and Aerith's familiar. Also cast magnify haste on everyone when you can too.

Whenever Barret has 2 bars and you don't have anything better to do, use Maximum Fury.

Once Aerith has another bar, put down Arcane Ward, then build up to max ATB again. Remember to keep switching back and forth to Barret so that one can shoot while the other has Bahamut's attention.

Once Aerith has 2 bars of ATB, stand in the arcane ward and input 2 firagas. This will make her do 4 in a row. During this time, use Tifa to go in an build ATB. The firagas will interrupt Bahamut so that you can pummel away with Tifa with impunity. This will probably do enough DPS to put Bahamut into pressure state.

If it doesn't pressure Bahamut, wait until he counts down to do that. He seems to be able to be pressured more easily during that time.

Try to synchronize Barret's ATB gain so that when you put bahamut into pressure, you can fire off a focus shot, then overcharge, then 1 bar focus shot. Do as many focus strikes as you can with Tifa.

Now just repeat that pattern using either Aerith or Tifa to fire off 4 firagas in a row within the Arcane Ward while you DPS with the others. Use Barret too if necessary to nuke.

When Bahamut is almost staggered, make sure to build up everyone's ATB to 2 bars., and make sure Tifa is at chi level 3.

Stagger Bahamut, go in with Tifa first and do this combo: True Strike > True Strike > Soul Drain > Soul Drain > Maximum Fury > Rise and Fall > Omnistrike > True Strike > True Strike (You may or may not have generated enough ATB to do those last two True Strikes). This should get the stagger damage multiplier to the high 200s.

If that didn't kill him, repeat the process again.
lol and I just got spanked by the hard mode version of this fight :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Nymphae

Banned
Damn feeling real good about the 56 squat win on Pro that I just pulled off, that was a fun little minigame. Felt like I was playing Frequency again lol

Pallas

Also, does anyone ever use Cloud's ability Disorder? I feel like triple slash is better for overall DPS.

Ive used it, after mastering it. It’s great for switching battling styles simultaneously, I’d prefer using it when he’s in operator mode, then combo with punisher mode afterwards.

Has anyone found Binding Materia to be useful? It seems really limited, even more than Synergy.

stickkidsam

I sure hope that the next game adds some team attacks where if you properly time it, the party members will perform some special move. This system seems like it would be perfect for that and if done right, it'd add all the more depth to the action.

Maybe make the Parry more effective too. If it's taking up an entire materia slot then I wanna feel like it is worth it.

Well you won't be banned or ostracized if that's what you mean. Now if you're looking for any meaningful discussion, explaining your reasoning would be helpful.

If you're just looking to vent though, by all means shit your heart out.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
One time she’s moving backwards with 2 ice balls surrounding her and another was after she just finished doing her close range AoE ice bomb. Maybe the ice balls a shield or something, I dunno. My character was never getting hit in those instances. The combat looks very pretty but it certainly has jank moments.
They are, you have to melt them if ya catch my drift

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
lol and I just got spanked by the hard mode version of this fight :messenger_tears_of_joy:
OK, that actually wasn't so bad. I just had to make one small adjustment and things worked out great. Finally beat that last training simulator battle.

13 minutes 45 seconds. Not too shabby I guess.

Ive used it, after mastering it. It’s great for switching battling styles simultaneously, I’d prefer using it when he’s in operator mode, then combo with punisher mode afterwards.

Has anyone found Binding Materia to be useful? It seems really limited, even more than Synergy.
After testing it a little more, I think it might be better than Triple Slash at single target DPS. You can just keep up a constant stream of attacks, and you never have a pause in animations if you time it right.

Putting mobs to sleep is helpful for crowd control sometimes. I hardly use it though. Maximum DPS woooooo

TheAssist

To the people who are disappointed that they've changed things:
firstly it was kinda obvious to begin with, I mean its a full game instead of just an intro. So the fact that there will be changes wasnt a suprise.
Whether not one likes them is a different thing, I for one did enjoy them, especially after playing the original afterwards, when you realize that the writing in the original doesnt really hold up to modern standards. The characters and world building are still good, but you have to fill in a lot of gaps in your mind. Which is probably the source of much of the anger. Some people just filled that void differently.

Many people dont understand why sephiroth is here so much, but that kinda makes sense imho. In the original you could make him mysterious because you literally have never heard about him. In 2020 pretty much everyone and there mother knows who Sephiroth is. Making him mysterious wouldnt really work. Again, whether you like his implementation or not is a different story.

What I really dont get is the people who are really angry that they changed anything. How dare they? I have explained why I trust them to make changes (for now), but being soooo angry about people wanting to tell a reinterpreted story in a known universe. jeez. Thats what creative people do. Imagine someone told you, you are working on a 10 year project and all you're going to do is exactly recreating a thing you have done 20 years ago. For the next 10 years of your work life. Does that seem like something you want to do? No? Guess they dont either.

End the end of the day I find it interesting to see how split people are with this game. Not suprised about it though. When I played it, I loved it, But could already imagine all the complaints people have. The sidequests, some of the pacing (if you leave out the sidequests it actually becomes really good imho, except for the last dungeon), the characters (who are .....suprisingly? .... very japanese. Guess people made them more western in their head, when that was still a possibility with PS1 graphics), the corridor level design. One thing I was surprised about was people shitting on the music. Its one of the best OST's ever in my oppinion and builds upon the original score. Its just funny when people who couldnt compose a 30 second basic musical loop are saying that the music sounds like an amateurish fan interpretation. Not to say the composers weren't fans as well, but still.

Pallas

OK, that actually wasn't so bad. I just had to make one small adjustment and things worked out great. Finally beat that last training simulator battle.

13 minutes 45 seconds. Not too shabby I guess.

After testing it a little more, I think it might be better than Triple Slash at single target DPS. You can just keep up a constant stream of attacks, and you never have a pause in animations if you time it right.

Putting mobs to sleep is helpful for crowd control sometimes. I hardly use it though. Maximum DPS woooooo

I wanted to see how well Berserk does once I unlock it but I haven’t really encounter many magic only enemies yet. I’m just a wall market so I guess I’ll find some eventually, and I’m guessing most if not all bosses are gonna be immune to status ailments?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I wanted to see how well Berserk does once I unlock it but I haven’t really encounter many magic only enemies yet. I’m just a wall market so I guess I’ll find some eventually, and I’m guessing most if not all bosses are gonna be immune to status ailments?
You'd be surprised at how many bosses actually have a vulnerability to one or two. Be sure to look closely at their immunities and see what isn't there.

Top Bottom