• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake |OT| - The Reunion is coming

bargeparty

You don't have to justify it but it makes your opinion more credible and gives more room for discussion. But hey you're free to say what you want as you want.

And i agree about the Corneo stuff. I thought they went a bit too far and Cloud felt totally out of character at some points (and i'm not talking about the crossdressing)
To be fair, some opinions are faulty because the are based on incomplete information or user error.

For example, if I said that I don't like this game because there's no run button, that would obviously be an opinion formed in error.

If you said something like, I don't like this game because they didn't stick exactly to the original story, then that's fine.
Well you won't be banned or ostracized if that's what you mean. Now if you're looking for any meaningful discussion, explaining your reasoning would be helpful.

If you're just looking to vent though, by all means shit your heart out.

I don't disagree with any of this, but I don't believe every post needs to spark a discussion. These days (in some places) you can't just simply make a statement (opinion or other) and have people ignore it if they don't like it.

If i just say "this game sucks" nobody has to reply to that and it will just get left in the past as the thread moves on.

I think my problem recently was since just going through the wall market section I was still annoyed by it in the morning. Someone on reset posted a gif of the dance sequence and it honestly pissed me off a little. That and I knew just posting about how the whole thing was painful would upset them.

They felt the need to respond and "attack" me since it didn't align with their "this game is perfect" stance.

Regardless I probably won't post my gripes. I've mostly moved past it and I'm near the end so I'll just move on afterwards.

Thanks.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
I don't disagree with any of this, but I don't believe every post needs to spark a discussion. These days (in some places) you can't just simply make a statement (opinion or other) and have people ignore it if they don't like it.

If i just say "this game sucks" nobody has to reply to that and it will just get left in the past as the thread moves on.

I think my problem recently was since just going through the wall market section I was still annoyed by it in the morning. Someone on reset posted a gif of the dance sequence and it honestly pissed me off a little. That and I knew just posting about how the whole thing was painful would upset them.

They felt the need to respond and "attack" me since it didn't align with their "this game is perfect" stance.

Regardless I probably won't post my gripes. I've mostly moved past it and I'm near the end so I'll just move on afterwards.

Thanks.
I hate it when there are hivemind communities that attack everyone who dares to have a different opinion from them even if he/she doesn't justify it. I always find it a bit hypocritic to never ask someone to justify a positive opinion while demanding him/her to justify their negative feedback. That was one of the reasons i stopped posting on Siliconera a long time ago and at other gaming sites/forums.

I don't know how resetera is but thankfully NeoGAF was never like that. At least personally i never felt that way in my 10+ years in this forum.

I'll say it again Part II needs to have a full blown open world and be next-gen only.
Judging from both this game as well as FFXV it kinda scares me how boring and uninspiring sidequests SE will design in a more open Part 2.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned

Sort of makes you wonder, why bother even posting something like that on a discussion forum at all if you feel it's not worthy of commenting on, and doesn't elaborate on the shitposted opinion at all. You're surprised people on a videogame forum respond to shitposts they disagree with? I'm surprised people bother to make posts like "this game sucks" with no further explanation.

sublimit

Banned
Sort of makes you wonder, why bother even posting something like that on a discussion forum at all if you feel it's not worthy of commenting on, and doesn't elaborate on the shitposted opinion at all. You're surprised people on a videogame forum respond to shitposts they disagree with? I'm surprised people bother to make posts like "this game sucks" with no further explanation.
I would have agreed if the same "rule" applied to the "this game is awesome". Which is also a shitpost just from a different point of view.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
I would have agreed if the same "rule" applied to the "this game is awesome". Which is also a shitpost just from a different point of view.

"Rule"? I'm just saying people should try to do a little more than say "Shit sucks", or "Shit rocks", and being indignant that you can't drop that and have people just ignore it seems weird, what's the value in that. Write in your diary.

sublimit

Banned
"Rule"? I'm just saying people should try to do a little more than say "Shit sucks", or "Shit rocks", and being indignant that you can't drop that and have people just ignore it seems weird, what's the value in that. Write in your diary.
Yes that's why i used quotation marks.
Like i said i agree but everyone should be free to say his opinion without fear and maybe expand it later if someone asks them for more details. But my problem are the double standards a lot of fanboys seem to have with drive-by posts. For them it's fine to say this "game is awesome" and no one asks for the justification of that opinion but saying "this game sucks" is automatically considered a "shitpost" and the person who wrote it has to write a whole thesis stating why he thinks so.

Last edited:

Just_one

Not only is Final Fantasy VII Remake the best game to come out this year (and probably game of the year once 2020 ends) but most important its a love letter to one of the best games ever made.

It´s different enough from the original (in a good way) but the way it expands the lore and universe of the original game is mindblowing to say the very least.

Midgar feels alive like never before and side characters like Jessie, Biggs and Wedge are for the first time treated like full characters and their backstories more fleshed out than ever.

To new comers the more modern gameplay is a win-win to players that loved the original turn base gameplay , the soundtrack is just the best and most beautiful soundtrack ever composed for a videogame , from the lovely and tender sounds of main final fantasy song to the adrenaline rush the player feels once a battle starts.

Nymphae

Banned
But my problem are the double standards a lot of fanboys seem to have with drive-by posts. For them it's fine to say this "game is awesome" and no one asks for the justification of that opinion but saying "this game sucks" is automatically considered a "shitpost" and the person who wrote it has to write a whole thesis stating why he thinks so.

Meh, positivity is generally viewed more favourably than negativity, but I think it's just a result of the overall breakdown of positive/negative reactions in the community for whatever game it is, like for example, when No Man's Sky launched, it was pretty universally despised and IIRC the general consensus was that it was a huge disappointment, and I think around that time you'd have seen the "positive shitposts" get jumped on, and the "shit sucks" replies being largely accepted and ignored or snowballing.

Last edited:

T8SC

Gold Member
I've left some feedback already but I missed a part ... the "new" stuff they added, adds absolutely nothing to the story. It's just filler/padding. If I wanted to chase cats or find children, i'd play an Assassins Creed game.

Sorry but they had a perfect story and they've injected it with so much useless crap. Midgar did not need to be 35hrs long. The changes to the original story (IE: The same thing happens, just differently) was also done better in the original - President Shinra for example.

Also ... Sephiroth is in it too much. The end fight is bordering on the same fight as the North Crater, with the same camera flashes etc. This game has just let me down so much, I've been waiting for it since the PS3 tech demo.
Oh well, im upto Fort Condor playing through on the Vita, i'll always have this game at least.

Last edited:

LingLingFat

Neo Member
My guess is Part 2 will start with insignificant extra item if you have a finished savegame file of this one, and nothing from this game will carry because it most probably be a different release, not expansion.

I'm never a fan of multiverse and "what ifs", so how they turned this "REMAKE" into a(nother) destiny defying crap is a huge disappoinment for us. The dead characters are what made the big impact in OS, now it turned into everyone lives happily ever after. I would've liked to see certain portions of the OG being remade into current tech, now I can forget about it because they want the story to be "different".

And by different, I'm convinced that they realize they are not able to reproduce the whole scope of the OG, that's why they're taking this route.. They may be "expanding" Midgar now, but they're gonna cut many else later.

I'll just keep open mind to what comes next, not having any good expectations because SE has a habit of starting something nice, and then went crap from there. Still hoping they will surprise me positively, after all, my wife LOVED the OG.

Platinum-ed the game just now.

Hated the dance minigame, and they make it the one you HAVE to repeat several times to fully complete the play log :messenger_poop:

LingLingFat

Neo Member
Damn, hellhouse is tough. Can't wait to try it on hard.

Managed to stagger it on the initial stage, but after that I quite honestly didn't understand the mechanic behind it's shield.

The assess materia intel says you're supposed to counter it with the opposing element, but it's not very clear which element the house is using lol

When it got its arms out, you have to target the arms.
On Hard it will summon 3 weak Tonberries, or 2 machines later lulz.

Dr Bass

To the people who are disappointed that they've changed things:
firstly it was kinda obvious to begin with, I mean its a full game instead of just an intro. So the fact that there will be changes wasnt a suprise.
Whether not one likes them is a different thing, I for one did enjoy them, especially after playing the original afterwards, when you realize that the writing in the original doesnt really hold up to modern standards. The characters and world building are still good, but you have to fill in a lot of gaps in your mind. Which is probably the source of much of the anger. Some people just filled that void differently.

Many people dont understand why sephiroth is here so much, but that kinda makes sense imho. In the original you could make him mysterious because you literally have never heard about him. In 2020 pretty much everyone and there mother knows who Sephiroth is. Making him mysterious wouldnt really work. Again, whether you like his implementation or not is a different story.

What I really dont get is the people who are really angry that they changed anything. How dare they? I have explained why I trust them to make changes (for now), but being soooo angry about people wanting to tell a reinterpreted story in a known universe. jeez. Thats what creative people do. Imagine someone told you, you are working on a 10 year project and all you're going to do is exactly recreating a thing you have done 20 years ago. For the next 10 years of your work life. Does that seem like something you want to do? No? Guess they dont either.

End the end of the day I find it interesting to see how split people are with this game. Not suprised about it though. When I played it, I loved it, But could already imagine all the complaints people have. The sidequests, some of the pacing (if you leave out the sidequests it actually becomes really good imho, except for the last dungeon), the characters (who are .....suprisingly? .... very japanese. Guess people made them more western in their head, when that was still a possibility with PS1 graphics), the corridor level design. One thing I was surprised about was people shitting on the music. Its one of the best OST's ever in my oppinion and builds upon the original score. Its just funny when people who couldnt compose a 30 second basic musical loop are saying that the music sounds like an amateurish fan interpretation. Not to say the composers weren't fans as well, but still.

In my opinion this reasoning is silly. The game is not Final Fantasy 7. I don't see what's so hard to understand about that. The reason people get upset about them changing the story is that the characters and themes they've known for 20+ years is basically trashed. There are reasons FF7 unfolds the way it does, reasons that were very personal to Sakaguchi. Without trying to spoil it, what's funny is the original game upset a bunch of people for different reasons too. There was so much acrimony over hoping for a way to change how it unfolds, there was talk about it for years. Ironically enough I think that lines up with the real grieving process.

I'll make this point to illustrate how utterly absurd and disrespectful I think this game is, in the way it changes the plot, theme and characters. It would be like going to see "Moby Dick" in the theaters, advertised as the most in depth and faithful recreation of the book yet seen. Then at the end of the movie you find out the reason Ahab is looking for the White Whale is so they can make up and be "best buds." Then the movie's final shot is Ahab riding on the back of ol' Moby shouting in glee as they swim and jump through the ocean. Yes, that is how absurdly stupid this game is.

bargeparty

Sometimes it's just different posting to a "community." Sometimes you write something out and never actually post it.

What happened at resetera was definitely intended to annoy them since my initial complaints about the game were met with the same "this game is great your opinion is wrong" comments that pissed me off.

I don't expect people to feed trolls yeah, or least if they believe someone is trolling to ignore it. I expect too much sometimes however.

MrMatt555

Finished it on hard last night and I have 1 trophy left to get platinum. Some encounters on Hard were a lot more fun than they were on Normal and then there were some that felt like marathon grinds. I'm going to look online to see if I went in with a less than optimal loadout that made my life a lot more difficult.

Going to do another playthrough on Normal to see how quickly I can melt bosses with the goodies I got on Hard mode :)
If I missed an assess is it cumulative across playthroughs or would I have to scan everyone again on hard?

Boneless

To the people who are disappointed that they've changed things:
firstly it was kinda obvious to begin with, I mean its a full game instead of just an intro. So the fact that there will be changes wasnt a suprise.
Whether not one likes them is a different thing, I for one did enjoy them, especially after playing the original afterwards, when you realize that the writing in the original doesnt really hold up to modern standards. The characters and world building are still good, but you have to fill in a lot of gaps in your mind. Which is probably the source of much of the anger. Some people just filled that void differently.

Many people dont understand why sephiroth is here so much, but that kinda makes sense imho. In the original you could make him mysterious because you literally have never heard about him. In 2020 pretty much everyone and there mother knows who Sephiroth is. Making him mysterious wouldnt really work. Again, whether you like his implementation or not is a different story.

What I really dont get is the people who are really angry that they changed anything. How dare they? I have explained why I trust them to make changes (for now), but being soooo angry about people wanting to tell a reinterpreted story in a known universe. jeez. Thats what creative people do. Imagine someone told you, you are working on a 10 year project and all you're going to do is exactly recreating a thing you have done 20 years ago. For the next 10 years of your work life. Does that seem like something you want to do? No? Guess they dont either.

End the end of the day I find it interesting to see how split people are with this game. Not suprised about it though. When I played it, I loved it, But could already imagine all the complaints people have. The sidequests, some of the pacing (if you leave out the sidequests it actually becomes really good imho, except for the last dungeon), the characters (who are .....suprisingly? .... very japanese. Guess people made them more western in their head, when that was still a possibility with PS1 graphics), the corridor level design. One thing I was surprised about was people shitting on the music. Its one of the best OST's ever in my oppinion and builds upon the original score. Its just funny when people who couldnt compose a 30 second basic musical loop are saying that the music sounds like an amateurish fan interpretation. Not to say the composers weren't fans as well, but still.

I think frustration better represents the emotion a lot of people feel. People fail to understand why they wasted so much effort changing story elements, only to result in something of much less quality. Especially story elements the OG was renowned for.

Both personally and from a business perspective, I also found this bizar.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
If I missed an assess is it cumulative across playthroughs or would I have to scan everyone again on hard?
All my assessments carried over into chapter select either on normal and hard.

Actually everything carries over with the exception that you can gain manuscripts on hard and some vr missions are only available on hard difficulty afaik.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I'm really digging the Hollow theme song too. It hits me fight in the feels. it's crazy that 3 Final Fantasy songs have been able to get such a response out of me. I usually don't give a shit about these kinds of things in other media.

Eyes on Me (FF8), Suteki Da Ne(FF10), and now Hollow (FF7R)

Nobuo Uematsu is godlike.

sublimit

Banned
Yeah the music is definitely one of the stronger points of this game. Both old (re-arrangements) and new ones. There are a few re-arrangements i don't like to the point i find them annoying but thankfully they are very few.

Last edited:

Woodchipper

I don’t know what to say about this game. I loved it at first, and then I’ve enjoyed it on and off since chapter 6 or so, but now I’m finally in chapter 18 and I can honestly say that this was not for me. The visuals are super inconsistent, the dialogue is cringe as fuck and the battle is a handful (Probably because I just suck, but also much thanks to the horrible camera.)

Also, The Last of Us got quite a bit of shit for having the ladders and what not to let the game load, but that’s NOTHING compared to the shit going on in this game.

6.5/10

martino

Yeah the music is definitely one of the stronger points of this game. Both old (re-arrangements) and new ones. There are a few re-arrangements i don't like to the point i find them annoying but thankfully they are very few.
Wall market being one ?

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
The way the boss theme transitions dynamically and seamlessly between Airburster's 4 phases is a work of art.

Boneless

I've left some feedback already but I missed a part ... the "new" stuff they added, adds absolutely nothing to the story. It's just filler/padding. If I wanted to chase cats or find children, i'd play an Assassins Creed game.

Sorry but they had a perfect story and they've injected it with so much useless crap. Midgar did not need to be 35hrs long. The changes to the original story (IE: The same thing happens, just differently) was also done better in the original - President Shinra for example.

Also ... Sephiroth is in it too much. The end fight is bordering on the same fight as the North Crater, with the same camera flashes etc. This game has just let me down so much, I've been waiting for it since the PS3 tech demo.
Oh well, im upto Fort Condor playing through on the Vita, i'll always have this game at least.

Considering replaying OG, but I wonder if it will just highlight for me what could´ve been with the remake. I mean, imagine playing those scenes like how they were told in the OG with the new remake´s graphics...

Nymphae

Banned
Wish I knew the name of this track, it`s playing as soon as you regain control after the Don Corneo bedroom scene. Fucking great stuff, can`t wait to buy this OST.

Nymphae

Banned
Here ya go

Thank you! I wish I would have preordered the soundtrack, it looks incredible

d4b217c98d9c0bd066fa5543e7827df8.jpg

Malakhov

Banned
Andrea was such a stupid and annoying character, at least Sylvando was entertaining in DQXI. Basicly Andrea was just there
to throw the gender word at us

Also,
did anyone called shinra fascists during that attack on sector 7 pillar in the original? I can't remember.
I thought it was so cringe worthy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom