• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake Team Urgently Recruiting, Here’s A Message From Key Staff

LordKasual

Banned
I'd be willing to bet this is coming out next gen.

The quicker Square gets its key studios privy to modern HD development, the faster they'll churn out games

I was praying that Luminous Studio would make this process faster, but it's obvious now that it's not going to happen that fast

Cipherr

as we head into the development progress phase.

Boy.....

Biggest joke in gaming right now this game is. Everything about it is a shitshow, stem to stern.

Dev hiring as production increases is nothing new and could have at several stages of development.

Oh yeah whatever, front like announcing a remake of a game years ago, just now starting to staff up years later so that it can enter the development progress phase on a project scheduled to ship in 3 fucking parts across what's looking to be a goddamn decade is COMPLETELY NORMAL AND OKAY brehs.

Nah. This is a hot mess. Announcing it when they did, knowing they were nowhere NEAR ready was wrong.

Timeaisis

From the pursuit of a new Final Fantasy game experience that can only be made through this remake, to the graphical challenges that come from the possibilities of evolving technologies—yes, we have everything that a creator needs to create in this here environment.

Did they just admit they were out of ideas for new Final Fantasy games?

CGwizz

people calling tabata lol

you want another game fucking ruined? xD
better late than tabata putting his dirty hands on ff 7

MilkBeard

Remember when this was a 2017 title. Now it looks like is going to be a PS5 launch title.

Only in fanboy wet dreams was this a 2017 title.

people calling tabata lol

you want another game fucking ruined? xD
better late than tabata putting his dirty hands on ff 7

Tabata directed my 3rd favorite Final Fantasy game, so that's not really the problem (imo). The problem is if SE's upper management is willing to let this game be developed until it is actually ready to release (and if Nomura and crew are actually progressing on the game, lol). We know Tabata can get shit done, even with impossible deadlines. But Nomura? Hard to say. He is aided by longterm staff and a complete engine (UE4) so theoretically it should be the sweet spot.

Now, they probably realized partway that making the entirety of FF VII into a fully developed, highly-detailed 3D experience is no small feat. This will be the most complicated product they've ever dealt with.

Kyzer

Banned
Anyone who saw KH and FFVII and thought the first one would be here any earlier than 2018 at the absolute earliest were always kidding themselves. KH for 2018 or 2019 and then FFVII the year after or later. It was always known to anyone with any sort of knowledge behind these dev teams and the timing of the announcements

Cloud7

What in the world???

I didn't expect this game to come out this year but now I'm not sure it's coming out in 2018 either. I just don't get it, though. You're splitting apart the story into multiple games. Yes, they're adding more content in each one but I just don't get it. I don't get how this can take so long. It's just the first part.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Anyone who saw KH and FFVII and thought the first one would be here any earlier than 2018 at the absolute earliest were always kidding themselves. KH for 2018 or 2019 and then FFVII the year after or later. It was always known to anyone with any sort of knowledge behind these dev teams and the timing of the announcements

Indeed. "This was supposed to come out in time for the anniversary" was delusional thinking, full stop.

MilkBeard

People seem to forget that this was announced only 2 years ago, and games of this size are often developed for 4-5 years. Even if they were doing work for a year before the announcement, that would mean it would potentially take another year or two to complete (from now). This seems to be in-line with normal dev times for a large-scale product. The fact that they are hiring halfway through doesn't mean anything at all, other than they want more help to get the work done faster.

It was pretty obvious that they weren't that far into development when they announced it. They only showed a CGI trailer. Even the in-engine footage shown later was pretty rough and was thrown together quickly.

Goddammit. Why the fuck did they have to give this project to Nomura? I really want KH3 instead of this, and the bigger endeavor this is, the longer KH3 will take to come out. Which sucks because KH3 was suppose to be the conclusion to the story where as even when 7R drops we'll still have to deal with this BS for several more releases. I'm hoping they kick Nomura off at least one of these projects. Either Let Tai Yasue take full control of KH3 or let Kitase direct again (ideal). I have no faith in Nomura like at all to deliver either of these projects before this gen closes.

daveo42

Banned
I wonder if the reasons why it seems they aren't all that far along is because most of their resources have been allocated to other projects and corporate wanted to see how well their big games (namely FFXV) did in relation to their global budget before giving the FFVIIR team more money to work on the game.

People seem to forget that this was announced only 2 years ago, and games of this size are often developed for 4-5 years. Even if they were doing work for a year before the announcement, that would mean it would potentially take another year or two to complete (from now). This seems to be in-line with normal dev times for a large-scale product. The fact that they are hiring halfway through doesn't mean anything at all, other than they want more help to get the work done faster.

Development time is often long, but it also tends to include alot of pre-production fleshing out setting, character, world, art, scenario, story, and a handful of other things before you can start "building" the game itself. Most of that is already done for them since it's a remake game. I know they wanted to make some changes to the flow of the story, but it's surprising that they would spend that much time just ramping up to production if they haven't started yet.

Zukkoyaki

Square's Japanese development is such an anomaly. Any other division under any other game company would either be shutdown or gutted and restructured from top to bottom. Though this probably wasn't actually in development at the time of announcement so I will cut a little slack there.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I hope that Kingdom Hearts game hasn't slowed Nomura down on this too much. Just get KH3 out the door for its fans already and go all-in on FF7, Nomura.

Then again, I'm not sure Director Tetsuya Nomura could get a half-empty bag of trash out the door, let alone AAA video games.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
That rules out everyone from these type of threads.

No matter how loudly they insist.

A couple of folks here might have have genuine knowledge of the craft. This is GAF, heh. Moreover, it wasn't rocket science to gauge that the game wasn't hitting in 2017. There's always an outside chance, but it was damned unlikely.

LordKasual

Banned
Then we should be worried. XV had an awesome and beautiful, but also boring world. And the combat system is not good.

XV had the most fun open world i've played before. Lots of hidden optional dungeons and random giant creatures to fight. Enjoyed the combat system.

FF7 is probably going to be alot more mashy than XV was since it's less grounded in realism, so i'm super hoping that FF7R is like XV.

DKHF

Goddammit. Why the fuck did they have to give this project to Nomura? I really want KH3 instead of this, and the bigger endeavor this is, the longer KH3 will take to come out. Which sucks because KH3 was suppose to be the conclusion to the story where as even when 7R drops we'll still have to deal with this BS for several more releases. I'm hoping they kick Nomura off at least one of these projects. Either Let Tai Yasue take full control of KH3 or let Kitase direct again (ideal). I have no faith in Nomura like at all to deliver either of these projects before this gen closes.
This game's development has basically no bearing on KHIII's, they are being developed by completely separate studios. And since he is the creative visionary (as Yasue described it) for KHIII rather than the hands on manager of the day to day work in the studio, a large part of Nomura's work for it is probably done now for KHIII. Just chill and wait a bit over 2 weeks, I'm almost certain there will be a KHIII blowout and 2018 release window confirmed at E3. Since they were planning winter announcements but those were obviously pushed back because of XV's delay delaying 2.8 and thus delaying KHIII news to E3. So they've probably got a lot to show for it saved up.

Zakkath

XV had the most fun open world i've played before. Lots of hidden optional dungeons and random giant creatures to fight. Enjoyed the combat system.

FF7 is probably going to be alot more mashy than XV was since it's less grounded in realism, so i'm super hoping that FF7R is like XV.

More mashy than XV ? That doesn't sound good at all.

This game's development has basically no bearing on KHIII's, they are being developed by completely separate studios. And since he is the creative visionary (as Yasue described it) for KHIII rather than the hands on manager of the day to day work in the studio, a large part of Nomura's work for it is probably done now for KHIII. Just chill and wait a bit over 2 weeks, I'm almost certain there will be a KHIII blowout and 2018 release window confirmed at E3. Since they were planning winter announcements but those were obviously pushed back because of XV's delay delaying 2.8 and thus delaying KHIII news to E3. So they've probably got a lot to show for it saved up.

I hope you're right but I had no faith in those winter announcements being anything more than a couple of screenshots like that Jump Fiesta nonsense. But hopefully we'll see at E3.

DKHF

I hope you're right but I had no faith in those winter announcements being anything more than a couple of screenshots like that Jump Fiesta nonsense. But hopefully we'll see at E3.
Eh that was quite a cynical outlook, even considering this is Square Enix considering they had no problem announcing a Big Hero 6 world with one piece of concept art. They were probably planning announcing a couple worlds at Jump Festa or something. I really think KHIII will go big at E3, maybe playable for press.

StereoVsn

I really enjoyed XV Open World as well as combat. The latter had a lot of options if one started on some aerial and defense customizations. I do wish magic system was thought out better though but even that has some interesting ideas (that needed to be fleshed out more).

What they did need were better sidequests in the Open World side and better towns.

For VIIR I am thinking late 2019 for Episode 1 to coincide with PS5 release. It's pretty crazy and dumb but that's SE for you. How Nomura is allowed to be director still is just puzzling.

Eh that was quite a cynical outlook, even considering this is Square Enix considering they had no problem announcing a Big Hero 6 world with one piece of concept art. They were probably planning announcing a couple worlds at Jump Festa or something. I really think KHIII will go big at E3, maybe playable for press.

Well that's quite an optimistic outlook lol.

I'm going to remember this post. Just to hope it comes true.

But if it doesn't DKHF......
I'll be sad.

Eylos

Banned
Ok lets be pessimists, persona 5 took 7 years of development to release in the west, 6 in japan.

FF7 is in the 3rd year of development, so If we Go to take the 7 years of persona, that gives us 4 years to release (2021).

Im thinking in a Full ff7, maybe the episodic thing Was dropped.

SOLDIER

A couple of folks here might have have genuine knowledge of the craft. This is GAF, heh. Moreover, it wasn't rocket science to gauge that the game wasn't hitting in 2017. There's always an outside chance, but it was damned unlikely.

At this point I think they're smart enough to avoid FF threads.

Yeahhhhh...hope you're right. My guess is that KH3 will get another short-ish trailer with "coming soon" and that's about it. Not feeling optimistic about progress on either.

Top Bottom