• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake Team Urgently Recruiting, Here’s A Message From Key Staff

RK128

Eh that was quite a cynical outlook, even considering this is Square Enix considering they had no problem announcing a Big Hero 6 world with one piece of concept art. They were probably planning announcing a couple worlds at Jump Festa or something. I really think KHIII will go big at E3, maybe playable for press.

My bet for KH3 is that the following will happen.

E3 2017:
-New Story Trailer with Frozen, Tangled, Big Hero 6, and Olympus Worlds shown off. Ends with a Fall 2018 release date.
-Olympus and Tangled worlds playable on E3 Show Floor.

Gamescom 2017:
-New Worlds announced (via concept art or short gameplay clip)
-New Screenshots of announced worlds.

TGS 2017:
-Lilo & Stitch World (Hawaii Location) Announced via gameplay trailer
-JP Demo announced for JP PSN Store releasing in the future.

Early 2018:
-Official blow-out of information; starting off with Star Wars World (based on original trilogy or Ep. VII) being shown off for first time.
-Demo released (Olympus) to public via PSN and XBL storefront. 1-2 hours long and leads directly into the main plot of KH3.

border

well they just had record sales and profits last year so they're doing something right.

Is that why they're effectively killing both the Hitman and Deux Ex franchises?

They released one Final Fantasy game, and it did relatively well.....though it took like a decade to actually get it made. So many other releases have been miscues.

MilkBeard

Development time is often long, but it also tends to include alot of pre-production fleshing out setting, character, world, art, scenario, story, and a handful of other things before you can start "building" the game itself. Most of that is already done for them since it's a remake game. I know they wanted to make some changes to the flow of the story, but it's surprising that they would spend that much time just ramping up to production if they haven't started yet.

That's not necessarily true. They have to go and rewrite all of the dialogue, and they have to go and individually redesign all maps because they were simply 2D backdrops before. It isn't simply a process of dropping the game into a magical 3D builder and having it be already planned and completed. They have to redesign everything. Everything. Those monsters they had before? They were the simplest of simple polygonal models. Character models must have animations and characteristics that match what their personalities portray. All battles must be redesigned, since it's a new battle system with more action-oriented, in-map battles that don't happen on some magical map that is not connected with everything else. Not to mention the fact that they aren't simply remaking the same event structure as they had before--they are tweaking everything and probably adding new content and changing the flow of the game.

It's about the same work as starting from scratch for a new game now.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Ok lets be pessimists, persona 5 took 7 years of development to release in the west, 6 in japan.

FF7 is in the 3rd year of development, so If we Go to take the 7 years of persona, that gives us 4 years to release (2021).

Im thinking in a Full ff7, maybe the episodic thing Was dropped.
I think that's kind of unfair since they weren't just making P5 for 7 years, they also released Catherine and P4DAN.

As for them deciding to release a "full" FF7 instead of episodes, that sentiment has been common in this thread and I think it's crazy. If anything, I think they're sitting back and trying to figure out how to break it up into 5 or 6 parts instead of the 3

SaniOYOYOY

Im reserving my judgement, this is just your tipical SE PR antics.

again if this skips e3 , we riot

edit: or kh. one of them really needs to be presents at e3

DKHF

I'm going to remember this post. Just to hope it comes true.

But if it doesn't DKHF......
I'll be sad.
Lol, I think it'll definitely be there in a big way. The only thing I'm doubtful of is it being playable at E3, since if it's coming out late summer 2018 or fall 2018 it might be too early to let people play it.

Yeahhhhh...hope you're right. My guess is that KH3 will get another short-ish trailer with "coming soon" and that's about it. Not feeling optimistic about progress on either.
Well aside from them planning announcements for winter, Nomura has given the impression they have a lot to show once 2.8 is out (with him saying we'll get the "shiny details" for KH3 this year) so I think they'll show more than that.

E3 2017:
-New Story Trailer with Frozen, Tangled, Big Hero 6, and Olympus Worlds shown off. Ends with a Fall 2018 release date.

Gamescom 2017:

TGS 2017:

Early 2018:
-Official blow-out of information; starting off with Star Wars World (based on original trilogy or Ep. VII) being shown off for first time.
-Demo released (Olympus) to public via PSN and XBL storefront. 1-2 hours long and leads directly into the main plot of KH3.
These are some good predictions. Though I think they would maybe choose to announce more worlds at D23 in July instead of Gamescom in August since they announced Big Hero 6 at the last D23 USA. A demo for the Olympus world seems likely. And I think they will announce 2 new Disney worlds at E3 rather than just one since it has been so long since the last world announcement.

well they just had record sales and profits last year so they're doing something right.

Imagine if they didn't squander the last 10 years on 1 FF title and handled Deus Ex and Hitman better, as well as a myriad of other franchises. SE last generation was a complete mess amd is still kinda a mess, profits be damned. Their management is hilariously bad.

Eylos

Banned
I think that's kind of unfair since they weren't just making P5 for 7 years, they also released Catherine and P4DAN.

As for them deciding to release a "full" FF7 instead of episodes, that sentiment has been common in this thread and I think it's crazy. If anything, I think they're sitting back and trying to figure out how to break it up into 5 or 6 parts instead of the 3
Yeah, i know and persona 5 is a New game, and for ff7 they Will change some points in the story, but ALL characters, plot, world is already made in ff7, that's less work.

Im only using persona 5 as reference because is the jrpg that we know have take a Very long time of development (not using ffversus because there's the discussion of when started the real development of the game)

Ray Down

Banned
meanwhile-at-square-ecdsy4.jpg

Ito rocking the janitor outfit

for ff7 they Will change story, but ALL characters, plot, world is already made in ff7, that's less work.

I mean new scenarios, changes to the script/dialog, combat balance, real time combat designing enemies to flow well,etc

It's really a lot of work that needs to be done. It's like Nomura said if they wanted to make an HD coat of the old game they would've had asked him to do this.

If KH3 releases next year it will make ppl shut up for awhile, I mean I don't want a Tabata situation.

iavi

I love Nomura's games, but he honestly needs to take a backseat with these current-gen titles--creative director or something to that effect where he's co-pilot and not in the main drivers seat--Cause he's not getting anything out with any sense of urgency when he's in it.

FFXV was a mess, KH3 is taking forever as well, and who really knows when we'll see the first episode FFVIIr

Boy.....

Biggest joke in gaming right now this game is. Everything about it is a shitshow, stem to stern.

Oh yeah whatever, front like announcing a remake of a game years ago, just now starting to staff up years later so that it can enter the development progress phase on a project scheduled to ship in 3 fucking parts across what's looking to be a goddamn decade is COMPLETELY NORMAL AND OKAY brehs.

Nah. This is a hot mess. Announcing it when they did, knowing they were nowhere NEAR ready was wrong.

I told you, sometimes parts of the dev cycle require more. It could happen at numerous points in the cycle. FF7R is clearly being positioned as SE as their biggest title ever. You're right, the trilogy might last 6-10 years lol

But its FF7R. Shit will make bank and be worth it.

Eylos

Banned
I mean new scenarios, changes to the script/dialog, balance issues, real time combat,etc

It's really a lot of work that needs to be done. It's like Nomura said if they wanted to make an HD coat of the old game they would've had asked him to do this.

If KH3 releases next year it will make ppl shut up for awhile, I mean I don't want a Tabata situation.
I know, but you agree thats less work, they dont have to think from Scratch, Like in the og ff7, creating background story, personality, the overall story etc they have all this already made and must decide what Will be Changed.

I'm surprised people haven't stopped and said " SE should probably stop giving Nomura so much work" the man is in charged of mad stuff.

I know, but you agree thats less work, they dont have to think from Scratch, Like in the og ff7, creating background story, personality, the overall story etc they have all this already made and must decide what Will be Changed.

I would say they have roadmap so in a way it "should be" easier yes.

Can't wait till they announce a season pass for each episode.

Well, at least we would be somewhere close to release then I guess.

Gbraga

They should trust Yasue with whatever comes next for the KH team and start to reduce the amount of things they put Nomura on. He's great, but he can't deliver games like Miyazaki. Not the guy to handle a billion projects at once. Let him focus entirely on one thing and make it as good as possible, taking his time. It would also not affect other games, so we could have Yasue, Yoshida and Tabata shipping their stuff more frequently.

JayEH

I love Nomura's games, but he honestly needs to take a backseat with these current-gen titles--creative director or something to that effect where he's co-pilot and not in the main drivers seat--Cause he's not getting anything out with any sense of urgency when he's in it.

FFXV was a mess, KH3 is taking forever as well, and who really knows when we'll see the first episode FFVIIr

Well he's had a co director for the last few KH games now including 3.

JayEH

I'm surprised people haven't stopped and said " SE should probably stop giving Nomura so much work" the man is in charged of mad stuff.

he definitely wants less work. He had a secret cry for help in an interview a few months ago where he said his co workers don't realize he's getting too old for this shit.

E3 2017:

Gamescom 2017:

TGS 2017:

Early 2018:

We'd be lucky to get even a small fraction of that.

This communication seems so f'ing bizarre to me. I hope this doesn't mean Playstation 5, because I already bought a PS4 for this game. If it doesn't hit PS4 I'll be playing on PC ty very much.

border

E3 2017:

Gamescom 2017:

TGS 2017:

Early 2018:

I can't help but wonder what you thought the promotional schedule for 2015 and 2016 was going to be.

gosoxtim

E3 2017:

Gamescom 2017:

TGS 2017:

Early 2018:
dont forst we have d23 2017 as well in july

You know Naughty Dog scrapped part of a game and got it out almost on time, compared to it taking them to probably finish a small section of part 1 of this game.

The Jared Kushner of Square

HeelPower

Square Enix is like one of the greatest paradoxes of our time.

It's still an enormously successful corporation, but you wouldn't think that when you consider how horribly inefficiently run and managed the whole damn place probably is. The ship has countless holes in its hull which would have doomed any other vessel and yet it's still managed to stay comfortably afloat and seaworthy. It's remarkable.

That's because they're a massive company with multiple streams of revenue.

Their Japanese AAA development is far from their main source of profit.If it were, Square would've probably been dead by now or at least they would've been bought out.

No idea why they decided to make the job so hard on themselves, making a third-person action-RPG. I would've been happy with a top-down view like the original, characters about as detailed as Bravely Default, and some rebalanced gameplay.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
No idea why they decided to make the job so hard on themselves, making a third-person action-RPG. I would've been happy with a top-down view like the original, characters about as detailed as Bravely Default, and some rebalanced gameplay.

You'll understand when they make a populist AAA game that kids under 25 actually want to play.

HeeHo

Ha, I would want a wee bit more effort than BD looking characters :B. But yeah, if they would've went turn-based, I could see the project being a lot easier to complete. It'd also be cool if they tried to be competitive with something like P5 in making an interesting turn-based system. Oh well.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I remember reading awhile back that Square Enix doesnt announce games like other publishers when development is already well underway. Rather they announce games at the start of the project before development has even fully started. Thats also why their games take forever to come out, many times the game is not even actively under development when they announce it (I know for a fact this was the case with the FFX remaster)

That Project Octapath Traveller thing they announced for the Switch? I'll bet you its just a proof of concept too.

Maybe they restarted development? Wouldn't be a first for Square or Nomura.
Final Fantasy VII Remake logo breaks into dust which reassimilate into a new logo:

Final Fantasy XVI

Coming out soon exclusively for the PS4 Pro.

Yasue as the new director.

Mediking

All I want them to do is to do some very vital and discussed restructuring. Just please do that. Do some restructuring and in house meetings about how to become more efficient and put out good titles at a consistent rate.

Also stop putting so much pressure on Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts in general.

Invest in new IP and strengthen IP that have potential to be big. Octopath Traveler on Switch is a good example of this. Just like Bravely Default on 3DS.

Let new blood come in and work on stuff.

Top Bottom