• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VIII 15th Anniversary Thread

I'm trying to think of a way to play a more "balanced" game. Maybe ... junctions restricted to level? I guess it would be hard to bring it to a precise number. It's one game I'd love to see heavily modded so that it worked. : (

Zukuu

Banned
I'm trying to think of a way to play a more "balanced" game. Maybe ... junctions restricted to level? I guess it would be hard to bring it to a precise number. It's one game I'd love to see heavily modded so that it worked. : (

Just don't use "limit breaks" and no doomtrain.

Wazzy

Banned
I usually restrict magic to specific characters and stat availability. So someone won't always have a magic or strength stat. I basically assign roles to my party.

I also level up normally.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
What food did Zell love in the Japanese version instead of hot dogs? "Flavored bread"? So like, a melonpan?

Nutter

It boggles my mind why we have not seen a remake of this game or hell even 7 yet.

I would LOVE to play this game again in HD.

Wazzy

Banned
lol, Leon's 17? Dude looks like he's in is mid 20s.
It's Squall and there's plenty of teenagers who look older. Maybe it's different generations but nowadays 17 year old's look much younger whereas before they usually ended up looking like they were already in their early 20's.

My graduating year had quite a few older looking people and that was only 4 years ago.

maltrain

My first RPG ever... making this my favorite genre until today.

My favorite game EVER.

I'd like to play the game again for a first time... :(

Wazzy

Banned
1 hour until it's no longer the anniversary day. Kind of making me feel sad.

I really hope to experience an ending as fantastic as this again.

Ending

Still gives me chills every time I watch it.

I think it was apple bread.

Like an apple strudel or turn over. That sounds delicious right about now.

That's what it was. I think "hot dogs" was a good change.

Those "hot dogs" confused me as a kid because I never saw the actual hot dog frank. Whatever I was looking at just looked like some kind of odd shaped bun. Then I thought they were pigs-in-a- blanket. A few years later I found out about the localization changes.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Straight out, the Final Fantasy with the *best ending* ever, although FFIX is a close behind.

That kiss under the falling star unnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngh.

This thread makes me a little depressed because it made me remember back when FF8 news was first coming out in the internet's toddler days, and I was just so excited and curious about all the characters and the plot and the music and this and that...and then I thought about how nowadays it's all cynicism and measuring framerates and 20-page threads about a game's resolution.

:-(

FF8 is also one of the last presents my dad actually got for me, I think for Christmas that year. Think I still have that copy stashed somewhere...

I started a playthrough on my Vita a few months back and made it up to the
Lunatic Pandora
before other stuff caught my attention, maybe it's time to buckle down and finish.

mrpookles

My 2nd JRPG after FF7. I actually didn't understand the battle system on my first playthrough, got to the boss that's immediately at the start of disc 4 (or maybe 3), had criminally under-leveled characters and could not get past it. I was stuck at that part for a good 6 months, periodically trying to beat it and failing.

I eventually gave up, started again and played it properly - loved it even more the 2nd time.

I bought the Steam version recently. Reading this thread has made me want to jump onto that next. Great game.

The Galbadia parade with that lovely music is one of my favorite scenes in the series. Just so good, I always look forward to replaying it.

This thread makes me a little depressed because it made me remember back when FF8 news was first coming out in the internet's toddler days, and I was just so excited and curious about all the characters and the plot and the music and this and that...and then I thought about how nowadays it's all cynicism and measuring framerates and 20-page threads about a game's resolution.

:-(

FF8 is also one of the last presents my dad actually got for me, I think for Christmas that year. Think I still have that copy stashed somewhere...

I started a playthrough on my Vita a few months back and made it up to the
Lunatic Pandora
before other stuff caught my attention, maybe it's time to buckle down and finish.

Ahh I remember my 56k modem, looking up FAQs for FFVII, VIII, and IX. Good times.

I know what you mean, can't we just love games again, even just for a little while. You know, talk about how much fun we had playing or reminisce about pleasant video game memories. Just for a day please. I mean it's FFVIII's 15th anniversary and there are people who still feel like they have to express venomous hatred so many years later, with no real justification. At least tell us why you hate it, geez...

That present must mean a lot to you, treasure it, and every fond memory.

Wazzy

Banned
I'm thinking of doing a short tribute video for the anniversary even though it's ending in 5 minutes. The thread can still continue since and the video will be late but oh well.

I want to use Visions of Dollet as the song.

People whine about the story a lot so lets do this for this thread. What was everyone's favorite moment story wise. Or fave scene.

for me it's the whole laguna in winhill segment and also although cheesy, I also liked when squalls ring on a necklace started floating up to rinoas face in space. Just thought it was a good touch.

Wazzy

Banned
People whine about the story a lot so lets do this for this thread. What was everyone's favorite moment story wise. Or fave scene.

for me it's the whole laguna in winhill segment and also although cheesy, I also liked when squalls ring on a necklace started floating up to rinoas face in space. Just thought it was a good touch.

I love the space segment and the Garden battles. Such great moments in the story.

For some reason, hanging out in Deling City before the
assassination mission
is always fun for me...going to the Tomb of the Unknown King and all that.

Also liked going to Trabia Garden,
even though it's all jacked up
. Must be the music.

...wondering how necessary it is for me to mark spoilers in a game's 15th anniversary thread, lol.

have some good memories about this game. it was one of the first FFs i played, but on top of that, i met my first girlfriend back in freshman year of high school (about '02) because of it. i know it sounds cheesy, but it was actually because i had a remix of eyes on me (this one) on one of the mix cds i had on me at the time, which is funny because that kind of dates when i was with her, haha.

but yeah, even after everything, it's probably my favorite final fantasy still.

I'm quite fond of the part where Laguna gives Raine a ring. Almost anything with Laguna was pretty memorable to me, like when his leg cramps up around Julia.

Wazzy

Banned
The ballroom dance scene is so amazing and iconic for me.

Anyway my tribute will be done wayyyy later tomorrow. I wish I could have completed it before today but I've been super busy.

Zabant

1506600_10201711118763808_595988587_n.jpg

Had to share this because of how incredibly dumb it is.

I'm sorry.

Jennipeg

Now that is a tough question, if I have to choose, it's when Squall carries Rinoa to Esther, but saying that Disk 3 is my favourite part of any game. Going to Esther for the first time was incredible. Since I was 12 at the time, Rinoa and Squall had the best romance ever, so I loved all that stuff.

Zabant

The Battle of the Gardens.

So hype.

Arthea

Had to share this because of how incredibly dumb it is.

I'm sorry.

I laughed, it's stupid joke but funny one (><)

FF8 is such a nice game. I will replay it, steam version I haven't played yet, one of these days.
The Battle of the Gardens is epic.
Oh and Triple Triad is great!

Natetan

This game is like final fantasy ii in the sense that it's a pretty terrible game with an only sometimes interesting story but some really cool locales and most importantly an incredibly broken battle system that is super fun TK break once you know how

Zabant

This game is like final fantasy ii in the sense that it's a pretty terrible game

I'll never understand hyperbole like this.

When you take into account the vast pantheon of games that have been released in the past 30 years, If you honestly class FFVIII as terrible, I have to think you haven't played many of them.

Or as I said, you (like many people i'm sad to say) are prone to hyperbole.

Far too often I see people rate games as either FANTASTIC!! or UTTER SHIT!!
it's a bad trait.

It's really been 15 years since FF8 released?

Man, I love everything about this JRPG, including the game breaking Junction system.

Since I barely have the time to even eat in the mornings, I don't get many opportunities to play games, but FF8 invaded my life in elementary school. It really did eat time to get those Triple Triad cards and draw the magic and those summons are unparalleled to FF7.

However, the story can go die in a fire. Square EA fucked up the localization, which made me hate Squall so much, until I read the direct translated script from Japanese and realize that Squall is not a whiny emo kid.

They really didn't know how to convey Japanese subtext at EA did they?

I wonder how much better the story would have been if some translated texts were changed to directly reflect Squall and the other characters.

jett

D-Member
dem orphans

I kinda liked this game back then, somewhat. The ending was the best part, I really don't remember much else.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I'm quite fond of the part where Laguna gives Raine a ring. Almost anything with Laguna was pretty memorable to me, like when his leg cramps up around Julia.

Yeah, all the Laguna stuff is gold. Particularly for me the stuff with little Ellone in Winhill, and where he stands up for the abused Moomba in the Esthar mines.

That said, the return to Winhill later in the game with all its small sentimental touches is probably the highpoint for me; the little conversation in the flower shop, and all the stuff in Raine's bar...

Posted in other thread but here it is agains, ff8 decal in my living room & rinoa's wing in my office room

There's a Rinoa on here? Soul mate? Seriously though, that's a cool decal, where did you get it? I need to see what kind of FFVIII memorabilia is available online. I've always wanted to get a Griever necklace or possibly the ring.

Favorite section or scene of game? There are so many I enjoy, especially after Squall opens up to Rinoa and I will always be a softy for Laguna. If I had to pick though I will say there are two moments that always leap to the forefront of my mind when thinking about this game which are the Battle between Gardens and the Space segment. If I want to think about the romance between Squall and Rinoa but capsulize it into one satisfying moment, I think of them floating together in space. Oh, and Eyes on Me.

Top Bottom