• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X and X-2 coming to PC May 12th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kssio_Aug

That's nice!! I'd like to see KH collection going as well (and KH3). The way SE is going, I won't be surprised to see FFXV on PC a bit after console release.

OmegaDL50

So I wonder if it's with the rearranged music or if we can play with the original score as is.

Even if it wasn't the case, it won't take long for PC modders to reinsert the original PS2 audio with proper looping after the game releases.

For the person that does do this, if this IS necessary I'd hope they use high quality samples straight from the OST CDs, instead of some low quality alternative.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
That's nice!! I'd like to see KH collection going as well (and KH3). The way SE is going, I won't be surprised to see FFXV on PC a bit after console release.

15 is a certainty at this point. Squeenix has spent the past two years filling in the gaps in the mainline series and it's been possible to count the number of absentees on one hand since the existence of X/X-2 HD PC leaked (four remain: 1, 2, 12 and 15).

Pachimari

I really hope we will get PS2 faces from modders. It'll definitely be the definitive version then. I can't wait to play it like that, and sell my PS4 copy.

IDK why people hate the Remastered soundtrack so much.

The old PS2 OST sounds like PS1 MIDIs to me rather than orchestra-performed.

inner-G

Banned
I think my laptop should be able to run that.
I wouldn't be surprised if it even runs on those baller ass Windows tablets. My friend was running Skyrim on one

It changed the 'feel' of some tracks, and the added/extended rest in the battle theme drives me nuts. Makes me think the music is going to hang

KarmaCow

Glad it's coming out so soon....but I'm probably just going to wait for the summer sale since Overwatch is also releasing soon.

OmegaDL50

It's funny you say that considering the PSF audio from the PS2 was more or less coded digital soundbanks rather than waveform / streamed audio, interestingly enough. Only a select few tracks was actually streamed such as Suteki Da Ne for example.

Probably not $30, not even the physical version of FFX / X-2 costs $30 on the PS4.

The most I see it going for is $25 because it's *new* on PC, but a $10 mark up over the physical version at it's current retail price seems unlikely.
Yeah you could easily be right there. Looks like MSRP for the ps4 version is $19.99. It was $39.99 IIRC last I checked.

Narroo

No, no they do not. While they do have a early 2000's feel to them, and are probably MIDI, they're much higher quality than PS1 Midis. PS1 MIDIS are distinctive.

The reason why people hate the remastered soundtrack is because of tone and hooks. The remastered sountrack removed a lot of the memorable hooks from sound-tracks, like the Klaxon from "Challenge," or the bells from the sunken temple theme. Given that it's a soundtrack and not a record, being memorable is important if you want a location to leave an impression.

Aside from that, the tone of some of the tracks was different, and given that people like the atmosphere of the original game, they didn't like the changes made.

Also, it seems my original post didn't make it, but...I really wish there was a way to play the original NA version of the game. The reason being...the dark Aeons ruin the endgame! The endgame quests were great in the original game, and they're completely broken by the Dark Aeons. It single-handedly prevents it from being the definitive version of the game.

OmegaDL50

From what I understand, PSF audio is not unlike how MOD works for anyone old enough to remember that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOD_(file_format)

Correct. I used an IT Tracker years ago. Audio samples are individual instrument banks and when called by the program to play a specific note with certain pitch and tempo. A midi soundbank and some soundfonts work similar but are much more simple due to the lack of samples used outside of a preset, unlike the sequenced samples being imported waves of actual instruments which a mod / s3m / it file used in it's playback.

You can read more into how the actual format works here - http://web.archive.org/web/20140224133310/http://www.neillcorlett.com/psf/faq.html

Might grab this, been craving to actually beat FF X-2 since I only got to the beginning in the PS3 version before moving on to something else.

Two times through X was enough for me though.

Falcs

Banned
YESSS!! Never got a chance to play this game or FF9. Playing through 9 now for the first time and I was just thinking about how I'm looking forward to when X is available on Steam just the other day.

Eila

Japanese dub? If this isn't wrong then will definitely buy it. (sure if optimization is good)

They could lock it to the japanese interface only but it would be dumb of them. And since the files are there it would be easy to mod.
The recommended specs posted on the store are very low so it should be no problem getting it running on most setups, The port could come with it's own set of issues, though.

They could lock it to the japanese interface only but it would be dumb of them. And since the files are there it would be easy to mod.
The recommended specs posted on the store are very low so it should be no problem getting it running on most setups, The port could come with it's own set of issues, though.

I want to play this time with japanese dub, hope they don't screw it up.

Also 60fps wish is just a dream or they can manage it?

OMIGOD, another Chocobo Racing, Butterfly Chasing, Lightning Dodging overflow of tears!

Hahaha, yea...

Grief.exe

Achievements

"name": "ACH_POWER_STRIKE",
"name": "ACH_SPEAKING_IN_TONGUES",
"name": "ACH_A_JOURNEY_CATALYST",
"name": "ACH_THE_RIGHT_TING",
"name": "ACH_COMPLETE_ABILITY",
"name": "ACH_STRIKER",
"name": "ACH_TEAMWORK_OF_FFX",
"name": "ACH_LEARNING",
"name": "ACH_DOUSING_FIRE",
"name": "ACH_THE_ETERNAL_CALM",
"name": "ACH_HEARTSTRINGS",
"name": "ACH_THE_DESTINATION_OF_HATRED",
"name": "ACH_LEARNER",
"name": "ACH_BLITZBALL_MASTER",
"name": "ACH_ALL_TOGETHER",
"name": "ACH_IT_ALL_ABOUT_THE_MONEY",
"name": "ACH_ZEROED_OUT",
"name": "ACH_OVERCOMING_THE_PAST",
"name": "ACH_DRESSED_FOR_THE_OCCASION",
"name": "ACH_MEGA_STRIKE",
"name": "ACH_MASTER_LINGUIST",
"name": "ACH_SPECIALTY",
"name": "ACH_PERFECT_SPHERE_MASTER",
"name": "ACH_CHOCOBO_LICENSE",
"name": "ACH_COMPLETE_EPISODE",
"name": "ACH_UNDER_THE_TABLE",
"name": "ACH_SHOW_OFF",
"name": "ACH_SPHERE_MASTER",
"name": "ACH_DEFEAT_OLD_FRIEND",
"name": "ACH_MACHINE_OF_WAR",
"name": "ACH_MESSENGER_FROM_THE_PAST",
"name": "ACH_MILLIONAIRE",
"name": "ACH_PERSEVERANCE",
"name": "ACH_SUMMON_MASTER",
"name": "ACH_CHOCOBO_MASTER",
"name": "ACH_CHOCOBO_WHISPERER",
"name": "ACH_CHOCOBO_RIDER",
"name": "ACH_TRICKY_TRAPPER",
"name": "ACH_THEATER_ENTHUSIAST",
"name": "ACH_DELTA_ATTACK",
"name": "ACH_DRESSY",
"name": "ACH_FEEL_THE_PAIN",
"name": "ACH_SWEET_PERFECTION",
"name": "ACH_OVERCOMING_THE_NEMESIS",
"name": "ACH_DANCING_QUEEN",
"name": "ACH_WEAPON_MASTER",
"name": "ACH_TREASURE_HUNTER",
"name": "ACH_OVERKILL",
"name": "ACH_GAMBLES_DREAM",
"name": "ACH_COMPLETION_OF_FFX",
"name": "ACH_A_TALENT_FOR_ACQUISITION",
"name": "ACH_JUST_STARTING",
"name": "ACH_CUTTING_THE_STRINGS",
"name": "ACH_LIFETIME_SUPPORT",
"name": "ACH_LIGHTNING_DANCER",
"name": "ACH_MONSTER_MASTER",
"name": "ACH_GOOD_LISTENER",
"name": "ACH_SPHERE_BREAKER",
"name": "ACH_FULL_CHAIN",
"name": "ACH_TEAMWORK_OF_FFX2",
"name": "ACH_SECRET_ROOM",
"name": "ACH_GUNNER",
"name": "ACH_MIDWAY_THROUGH",
"name": "ACH_STILL_A_WAYS",
"name": "ACH_ALCHEMIST",
"name": "ACH_EXCELLENT_NEGOTIATOR",
"name": "ACH_ALMOST_THERE",
"name": "ACH_GIANT_TOWER",
"name": "ACH_COMPLETION_OF_FFX2",
"name": "ACH_COMPLETION",
"name": "ACH_TEAMWORK",

OmegaDL50

It's still $50 on PSN for the PS4 version.

Square-Enix is selling the physical disc copy of FFX / X-2 for $20 on their own website and it's not a discounted price.

I don't think many people would reasonably buy FFX / X-2 on Steam if it was priced at $50 as on PSN.

Not even the Steam versions of the FFXIII trilogy being newest releases of the franchise (relatively) were priced at higher than $20 at their time of release, not even Type 0 HD on Steam was that much either which launched and is still at $30 baring discounts and sales.

Using a PSN pricing doesn't really apply to the Steam prices that FF games usually go for anyways, outside of the MMO games at least.

I am quite confident that FFX / X-2 won't be $50 on Steam when you consider the pricing model of the other newer FF games pricing on Steam.

Bizzquik

Wish List:
* Skip Cutscene option
* 60 frames per second
* texture packs from modders
* $29.99 price point (with discounted price from online retailers)

OmegaDL50

Achievements

This is identical to the PS3 / PS4 trophy list.

Ironically FFX was the only game I ever got a platinum on. Not too sure if I want to do that again, it took me nearly 120 hours the first time.

I never got a 100% on FFX-2 on any version so maybe this time I'll actually manage.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Is there a price yet?

Edit: guess not

OmegaDL50

Is there a price yet?

Edit: guess not

Considering the pricing of other PS3 / PS4 ports to Steam for FF games, I'd say it's a fair estimate to say anything from $20 to $30 is a reasonable expectation.

Then again Square did recent drop the MSRP of the physical version of FFX / X-2 to $20, so it's debatable if they'll bump up the Steam version price because it's *new* on PC.

I would be shocked if it's higher than $30.

Thoraxes

aHnqeRh.png

Japanese audio, huh.
Fuck.

I actually will buy this now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom