• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X HD now starting development at SE First Production Department

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I agree with this assessment. I think it is likely that they're doing a HD port, but they will also try to ensure that it is as high quality as possible. Which means they will have to remaster the FMVs and other pre-rendered elements, probably improve all the textures, and make the game true widescreen. It'll probably have a higher budget than normal, but they'll also be selling one game for full price probably.

I would love this type of extra polish for an HD port. It was exceedingly annoying to play the God of War collection since the FMVs were just like the untouched PS2 versions.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
They'll make it 500 instead, and set it as a gold trophy. :D

Good thing I don't plan to get the terrible FFX HD and will buy fifty copies of FFXII HD for my trophy whoring purposes. :D!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I would love this type of extra polish for an HD port. It was exceedingly annoying to play the God of War collection since the FMVs were just like the untouched PS2 versions.

I believe Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD had extra polish. Probably Code Veronica X HD to a lesser extent (heavily improved lighting).

apana

Nobody knows if it's an upscale, a port, or a remake. Some have been saying re-release, HD master, etc.

There are zero details on what exactly it is, and for what they've said, how much that term applies to any of the aspects of the game when they make the HD version of it and the lower resolution (960 x 544) version Vita version.

I'd love for it to be a full remake and for it to be succesful, it could be the start of a trend. Then they can work their way backwards! Imagine a Final Fantasy IX remake for future consoles.

Raonak

Banned
Man, I thought with how FFXIII-2 was announced on the same year it was releasing (in jpn atleast) that maybe square had learned to stop announcing stuff too early.

I was wrong.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I believe Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD had extra polish. Probably Code Veronica X HD to a lesser extent (heavily improved lighting).

Haven't checked out Stranger's Wrath. I heard it was very good when it was first released so I might check that out later. Most likely not going to play CV.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I agree with this assessment. I think it is likely that they're doing a HD port, but they will also try to ensure that it is as high quality as possible. Which means they will have to remaster the FMVs and other pre-rendered elements, probably improve all the textures, and make the game true widescreen. It'll probably have a higher budget than normal, but they'll also be selling one game for full price probably.
Yeah, it'll probably be this stuff mostly, but improving all the textures would be a massive undertaking, so you probably wouldn't see that. Most of the texture work in the PS2 Final Fantasy games actually isn't too bad, so they'll hold up for the most part but I could see them touching up a few here and there.

They'd probably get more out of updating the character models, like we saw in the HD Oddworld update. It's the kind of change that effects the entirety of the game and doesn't take an extraordinary amount of work.

Famassu

http://andriasang.com/comzoe/nomura_famitsu_interview/

this doesn't sound like the game is coming this year to me, dunno.
That sounds like they want to do the kind of gameplay demonstration they did for Type-0 where they actually play the game in front of an audience showing long segments of the game instead of just showing a trailer with short snippets from different stuff. And at that point Type-0 was going to be released in three or four months after the said showing (though, it ended up taking 2-3 months more more due to the delay). Though, the "sometime this year" doesn't sound good... I would've much preferred a "really soon" or "in a couple of months" statement... >_>

reKon

Banned
I remember when I thought that Versus would actually be released just around this time for for sure, then I became sane again

Luigi87

Even if it isn't a full remake... A new real time lighting system, rather than their present ambient lighting system would be glorious.

Are you guys sure this isn't an HD port? I didn't hear anything about this being a remake remake (like REsident evil remake, twin snakes, halo anniversary, etc.)

Ravage

Hm...i wouldn't mind paying more for a high quality HD port. But i'm definitely expecting new content.

That sounds like they want to do the kind of gameplay demonstration they did for Type-0 where they actually play the game in front of an audience showing long segments of the game instead of just showing a trailer with short snippets from different stuff. And at that point Type-0 was going to be released in three or four months after the said showing (though, it ended up taking 2-3 months more more due to the delay). Though, the "sometime this year" doesn't sound good... I would've much preferred a "really soon" or "in a couple of months" statement... >_>

I knew Versus wouldn't make 2012 the moment they announced XIII-2. I'm surprisingly ok with that though, Versus might be my number 1 most anticipated title but 2012 is pretty stacked :)

DarkKyo

While this is exciting news, a 3D FF to 3D HD FF remake isn't all that exciting to me as a 2D FF(or PSX FF) to 3D HD FF remake like FF6 or 7 would be... Seriously, give me a FF6 remake now... I think the 3DS would be badass for it.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
No more lightning dodge PLEASE, or at least make it 50.

I came up with this crazy technique to never get hit by that. Involved not blinking and turning the sound off.
KuGsj.gif

The rewards can make you kinda OP so it can be worth it.

Reveirg

I'm losing faith that Itou is still alive. :(

There was a quote on Wikipedia about a Dissidia programmer stating he wanted to ask Itou some tips about designing Vaan's fighting abilities, but that Itou was too busy on a "large-scale" project to have a meeting. Does that ring a bell? I've always wondered where that came from.

Of course, Wikipedia is down today so I can't find the exact quote anymore -.-

duckroll

There was a quote on Wikipedia about a Dissidia programmer stating he wanted to ask Itou some tips about designing Vaan's fighting abilities, but that Itou was too busy on a "large-scale" project to have a meeting. Does that ring a bell? I've always wondered where that came from.

Of course, Wikipedia is down today so I can't find the exact quote anymore -.-

No, it doesn't ring a bell, but lately I've learned that there is a lot of information developers say in the Ultimanias which I have never read. I'll like to if I get a chance, but it's hard to source direct quotes or transcripts, and I really don't want to buy Ultimanias for games which I don't feel I really want big thick books for. :(

Reveirg

No, it doesn't ring a bell, but lately I've learned that there is a lot of information developers say in the Ultimanias which I have never read. I'll like to if I get a chance, but it's hard to source direct quotes or transcripts, and I really don't want to buy Ultimanias for games which I don't feel I really want big thick books for. :(

Yay for Google's cached pages :

"During the creation of Dissidia 012: Final Fantasy, the battle system director, Takeo Kujiraoka, attempted to consult with Hiroyuki Ito about the fighting style of Vaan.[41] However, due to Ito being busy leading development of large-scale, unannounced project and Ito also not being an employee of 1st Production Department, Kujiraoka could only reach Ito via e-mail.[41] He sent a playable demo file of Vaan and asked Ito for his opinion and if he wants anything added to the way Vaan plays in the game. Ito replied two days later saying he received the e-mail and that he will try and make time to play the demo despite his busy schedule. A further two weeks later, Ito replied again saying, "Vaan is great! You even gave him my favourite victory pose. Good job!"[41]"

from [41]"Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy Ultimanina -Action Side-"

I guess this is recent too, when was the Dissidia 012 Ultimania released?

duckroll

I feel that a lot of reactions here seem to think that Nomura is officially announcing that they have just started development of the game, which is not the case at all. This is a 3 page interview about KH3D, with some questions about VersusXIII on the last page, followed by a "any final comments?" question right at the end. It is there that Nomura casually comments that with regards to 1stPD, they're now moving forward with the HD version of FFX, while there is another team working on a game which has not been announced to the public yet.

That's all. It's just a casual non-news comment. It's basically the same thing Kitase said the last time.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yay for Google's cached pages :

"During the creation of Dissidia 012: Final Fantasy, the battle system director, Takeo Kujiraoka, attempted to consult with Hiroyuki Ito about the fighting style of Vaan.[41] However, due to Ito being busy leading development of large-scale, unannounced project and Ito also not being an employee of 1st Production Department, Kujiraoka could only reach Ito via e-mail.[41] He sent a playable demo file of Vaan and asked Ito for his opinion and if he wants anything added to the way Vaan plays in the game. Ito replied two days later saying he received the e-mail and that he will try and make time to play the demo despite his busy schedule. A further two weeks later, Ito replied again saying, "Vaan is great! You even gave him my favourite victory pose. Good job!"[41]"

from [41]"Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy Ultimanina -Action Side-"

I guess this is recent too, when was the Dissidia 012 Ultimania released?

I think he must be working on the second of Square Enix Japan's new IP's then.

Thanks for the info.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Whenever they do these remakes, they should get orchestra recordings of the music. Distant Worlds has done a really good job.

duckroll

Thank you very much Reverig. :)

However, due to Ito being busy leading development of large-scale, unannounced project and Ito also not being an employee of 1st Production Department, Kujiraoka could only reach Ito via e-mail.

This suggests that in mid/late-2010, Itou was not even in the S-E Tokyo building. Otherwise there is no reason why the guy would not have been able to reach him, even if he's not considered part of 1stPD. Really, really strange.

I wonder if he's overseas on a big western collaboration...

pottuvoi

Banned
Whenever they do these remakes, they should get orchestra recordings of the music. Distant Worlds has done a really good job.
If they will make proper remakes with new engine the old ps2 era would feel ancient.
So proper soundtrack would make sense, yes. :)

jimmypython

E3 sony press conference is a perfect time....come on SCEA!

The Jason

I would love an HD version of FFX but it seems to me that they would have to redo all the in-game cut-scenes to make it worth while. I've played FFX recently and some of the textures and animations would look even more antiquated in HD, especially by the time this comes out. So I would almost rather them focus on something else; but it sounds like the main teams wont be working on it, so I'm looking forward to it.

Reveirg

I still think they're shooting for a December release for Versus XIII, with a full reveal/hype campaign starting around August/September. It would make sense for them to try and release a new FF every Holiday season.
Then again, that might only be wishful thinking...

I think he must be working on the second of Square Enix Japan's new IP's then.

Thanks for the info.

Are you referring to this? Because the Ultimania quote makes it seem like Ito isn't working on a 1st Prod. Dev. Team game.

I wonder if he's overseas on a big western collaboration...

Eidos Montreal's 3rd IP?

And to get back on FFX HD's story, how much time did it take Bluepoint to develop the MGS and Ico/SotC remasters?

I still think they're shooting for a December release for Versus XIII, with a full reveal/hype campaign starting around August/September. It would make sense for them to try and release a new FF every Holiday season.
Then again, that might only be wishful thinking...

If they start the hype campaign around September then it will be about a year before JP launch. That was the case with XIII and XIII-2.

Angry Fork

Why does Square Enix do this. Stop fucking announcing things before they even begin.

People have been begging for a remake of FFVII for what, seven years now at least? What does SE do? FFX remake.

Fucking trolls.

FFX is much easier to re-do, and I doubt it's going to be a full blown remake the way people are suggesting. It'll be better than an HD conversion but there won't be stuff like entirely new animations and the like, at least I highly doubt it. FF7 remake would be a ridiculously huge project even for handhelds.

Top Bottom