• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XI 2013 Seekers of Adoulin |OT| Go West, Young Adventurer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
done with installing and all but realize this still play through POL, so now I'm confused... XD I thought they ended POL already no? the game still runs through POL?

anyway, gona check out Odin and see if I can find some ppl I used to know I guess. maybe move over to Sylph if I can't find anyone on there any more... so much catching back up I need to do. just hearing the music already brings back so much feelings for this game... feelswave.gif

I hope you enjoy it. Things have changed quite a bit in the last 6 months nevermind the last 2 years.

yeah, ran around Jeuno a little and realize I actually had not register my SOA codes yet so went and logged out to do that. then today when I was on I found someone who's on my f-list popped up and went and talked with her. seems like a few of the ppl I know are still playing , so that's a good thing. gona do more stuff tonight and maybe start that last limit break quest. and on another note, I REALLY miss the music and the over all feel of the world, be it Jeuno or Windurst (the 2 places I've ran around so far) and the auto translate function too for some reason XD

yeah, ran around Jeuno a little and realize I actually had not register my SOA codes yet so went and logged out to do that. then today when I was on I found someone who's on my f-list popped up and went and talked with her. seems like a few of the ppl I know are still playing , so that's a good thing. gona do more stuff tonight and maybe start that last limit break quest. and on another note, I REALLY miss the music and the over all feel of the world, be it Jeuno or Windurst (the 2 places I've ran around so far) and the auto translate function too for some reason XD

That's awesome!

just talked to the customer service at SE while I'm downloading the game, and they sure improved that part a lot more from how it was before. he suggested I wait a few days before doing the world transfer since starting April 1st they'll change the cost from $25 to $18 and wait time from 90 days to 3 days. guess I'll wait for now XD

Sure he wasn't just kidding around?
I'd like to do a server transfer to Sylph (Are people still playing on here? Or should I go with the Reddit crew?) but man are the server transfer pricey..

ZetaEpyon

Sure he wasn't just kidding around?
I'd like to do a server transfer to Sylph (Are people still playing on here? Or should I go with the Reddit crew?) but man are the server transfer pricey..

Nah, the support guy's info was correct; they announced the change back at the beginning of March:
http://www.playonline.com/pcd/topics/ff11us/detail/11859/detail.html

I think we have a small core of players from here still active on Sylph, but of course there are ups and downs. I have to admit I haven't played as much lately myself (damn you, Diablo III), but there's still plenty to do.

silenttwn

Are all of the NeoGAF peeps high level? Wondering if there are any of you who are somewhat low level like me (highest level job right now for me is a lvl 21 WAR).

isual

sweet. now I can transfer to the GAF LS.

Are all of the NeoGAF peeps high level? Wondering if there are any of you who are somewhat low level like me (highest level job right now for me is a lvl 21 WAR).

Yeah. On the server they are in.

I have about 14/22 jobs at 75 already with SAM my main at 99.

I know this is an odd request - and a long shot..

But does anyone here play with Japanese people?
I'm a Japanese student and I'll take any opportunity to converse with Japanese people - so I'd love to get into an LS that has Japanese speakers in it.

Toth

Good gravy, I need to find a delve static on Sylph. Shouts just aren't there. I have a well geared PUP GEO COR SCH or SMN ready to rock. I do have a lot of fun with Ice and Renigd though so shout out to them!

Seigyoku

I know this is an odd request - and a long shot..

But does anyone here play with Japanese people?
I'm a Japanese student and I'll take any opportunity to converse with Japanese people - so I'd love to get into an LS that has Japanese speakers in it.

1. Do you have the Japanese client or use Windower so you can use an IME? Because if not, you'll be typing in romaji and that's already going to turn off Japanese players.

2. Your chances of getting into a real Japanese LS are pretty slim unless you are fluent. While I'm not going to say "all Japanese players only want to play with other Japanese players" because that is not true, even getting into Japanese shouts is challenging because the auto-translator only goes so far, and people want to Get Things Done. Language barrier slowdown resulting in a DM loss is going to be looked at poorly.

Reishiki

Banned
So, my copy of the FFXI 10th Anniversary art book arrived today and there was something very interesting on one of the pages.

This is a world map sketch dated May 2000, two years before the game came out in Japan, of a prototype Vana'diel (Apologies for poor quality, phone camera).

- A 'monorail' track that links Bastok to the town of Selbina (Now landlocked) and 'Rosario' before passing through Jeuno to 'Lind Island'. This probably became Qu'fim Island in the release version. This also contains a branch to the west to a place called Mythril.

- There's a 'Chocobo Forest' to the north of Selbina.

- The reason these two are interesting are they line up with this unused FFXI map.

- Windurst was called 'Windam'

- Kazham/Elshimo Island is where Rabao/Altepa Desert is now. Norg is a standalone island.

- Tu'Lia was in very early on. Hall of the Gods/Ro'maeve was a lot closer to Windurst

- The Northlands were actually directly north of San d'Oria

A glance into the annals of FFXI history, for sure.

1. Do you have the Japanese client or use Windower so you can use an IME? Because if not, you'll be typing in romaji and that's already going to turn off Japanese players.

2. Your chances of getting into a real Japanese LS are pretty slim unless you are fluent. While I'm not going to say "all Japanese players only want to play with other Japanese players" because that is not true, even getting into Japanese shouts is challenging because the auto-translator only goes so far, and people want to Get Things Done. Language barrier slowdown resulting in a DM loss is going to be looked at poorly.

1. Yes - I currently play on a Japanese PS2 and on PC using Vana'diel Collection 4.
2. By no means am I fluent - am quite a basic Japanese beginner - but I do a lot of learning by translating my way through videogames (including Dragon Quest X) - so I'm trying to do the same with this old favourite, FFXI.

I mainly play solo at the moment in FFXI because it takes me so long to get through any content but I'm looking for Japanese speakers to converse with (I'd be willing to help Japanese people practice English etc) just to be social. As you pointed out, I wouldn't have the necessary speed or skill in Japanese to be much use in end-game/high-level battlefields or anything.

So I have the Vana'diel collection for the 360, I last played probably around 4 or 5 years ago. Thinking about picking up the Seekers expansion but I had a question. I originally activated this on an older 360 and was wondering if, when I buy Seekers can I use my original copy of the Vana'diel collection to play it? Can I reuse the registration code even though it's a new Xbox than what originally activated it on?

So I have the Vana'diel collection for the 360, I last played probably around 4 or 5 years ago. Thinking about picking up the Seekers expansion but I had a question. I originally activated this on an older 360 and was wondering if, when I buy Seekers can I use my original copy of the Vana'diel collection to play it? Can I reuse the registration code even though it's a new Xbox than what originally activated it on?

Yes as long as you know your PlayOnline ID and password.

When you registered your registration code, you created a PlayOnline ID. That PlayOnline ID (POL ID) then has the code permanently tied to it.

1. Put the Vana'diel Collection in your new Xbox.
2. Install PlayOnline.
3. You'll be asked to login to POL using your POL ID.
4. When you've logged in, you can install FFXI and get all the updates (this will take about 8 hours probably.)

If you've lost your POL ID you can get Square-Enix to tell you it - but warning: they'll ask for the credit card number you registered on it 4 or 5 years ago, what was your billing address then, what was your character's name etc. etc. etc. They're very strict.

TLDR; I hope you still have your POL ID.

creid

Does FFXI / Playonline still use Click and Buy? I got an email from them about updating my CC information, but I don't think I've been billed through them in 2 years. Just wondering if I have to actually do anything or not.

Riposte

So, my copy of the FFXI 10th Anniversary art book arrived today and there was something very interesting on one of the pages.

This is a world map sketch dated May 2000, two years before the game came out in Japan, of a prototype Vana'diel (Apologies for poor quality, phone camera).

- A 'monorail' track that links Bastok to the town of Selbina (Now landlocked) and 'Rosario' before passing through Jeuno to 'Lind Island'. This probably became Qu'fim Island in the release version. This also contains a branch to the west to a place called Mythril.

- There's a 'Chocobo Forest' to the north of Selbina.

- The reason these two are interesting are they line up with this unused FFXI map.

- Windurst was called 'Windam'

- Kazham/Elshimo Island is where Rabao/Altepa Desert is now. Norg is a standalone island.

- Tu'Lia was in very early on. Hall of the Gods/Ro'maeve was a lot closer to Windurst

- The Northlands were actually directly north of San d'Oria

A glance into the annals of FFXI history, for sure.

I'm a sucker for this kind of stuff. Maybe a little too obsessive at some point.

I think it's almost time to revamp the thread. It's been a year. The may update is supposed to be pretty big, so I'll whip something together with saph around then. Please look forward to it.

Enthus

Anyone have a good idea on how long playing through the majority of the story and lore related quests would take? This is the only Final Fantasy I've never tried, so I'd like to experience the most of it,

Toth

Anyone have a good idea on how long playing through the majority of the story and lore related quests would take? This is the only Final Fantasy I've never tried, so I'd like to experience the most of it,

Honestly? About a month if you played every night and made progress each day. You're best bet would be work on getting a character to 99 (get abyssea), work on emphyream=n armor, do RoE quests for good gear, and skill up your character's main weapon or magic skills. Once you are well geared, you can pretty much do all of the story and lore quests without too much difficulty.

Oh can I request a new tag "Living La Vida Vana'diel' in honor of the new FFXI thread????

Enthus

Honestly? About a month if you played every night and made progress each day. You're best bet would be work on getting a character to 99 (get abyssea), work on emphyream=n armor, do RoE quests for good gear, and skill up your character's main weapon or magic skills. Once you are well geared, you can pretty much do all of the story and lore quests without too much difficulty.

Oh can I request a new tag "Living La Vida Vana'diel' in honor of the new FFXI thread????

Alright, thanks. I'll pick this up the next time it's on sale on Steam.

Loona

You don't even need the empyrian stuff, although abyssea does help a lot with the levelling - gear-wise, doing Records of Eminece tasks (some of which envolve a lot of landmark quests like unlocking jobs and access to chococos and the airship) grants you point you can use on level 99 gear that counts as if it were level 117.

I've recently finished the story for the latest major completed expansion, Wings of the Goddess, solo, so the content that preceded that should be doable as well.

It's just important to prioritize what you want to do, since levelling is no longer the roadblock it once was - the major story arcs are known in-game as Missions, generally assigned to a corresponding expansion, and have their own place in the game's menus to help you keep track of progress; the others are Quests, which tend to be fairly independent, although some reference or complete plot points from some missions, or require the completion of specific missions to become available.

Kyudo

Neo Member
Just reactivated a couple days ago. Is gaf still active on this game would love to get a shell to do stuff with, have no idea what this SoA stuff is about now. On sylph atm.

Just reactivated a couple days ago. Is gaf still active on this game would love to get a shell to do stuff with, have no idea what this SoA stuff is about now. On sylph atm.

You on now?

We're doing voidwatch at 9 EST tonight.

Send me a tell I'm on right now as pancakesandsx

Loona

I might have to finish my Maat duels before the update to get his complete Trust CS after the update (I expect a cap reference there)... probably RNG, SNM, SAM and DRG, I think... I hope the testimony drops are generous...

I might have to finish my Maat duels before the update to get his complete Trust CS after the update (I expect a cap reference there)... probably RNG, SNM, SAM and DRG, I think... I hope the testimony drops are generous...

I think you need to clear 6 of them to get him not all of them.

Riposte

Guys let's say sometime during the summer, I log back into my BLM level... uh... somewhere around 80 and my one goal is to do all the hard mode battles from missions. In a month.

What would that be like? Feasible (with item levels and all that)? Would it be a pain to find groups for the content?

Oh god what am I saying...

EDIT: Are those battles actually fun? Like... halfway as good as CoP in its prime fun?

B.K.

Guys let's say sometime during the summer, I log back into my BLM level... uh... somewhere around 80 and my one goal is to do all the hard mode battles from missions. In a month.

What would that be like?

Impossible. You won't even be able to get into a group. Everyone wants you have the very best equipment and specific jobs and abilities before they'll let you join them.

Why do I like the Trust NPC things so much? Watching that trailer makes me want to keep my subscription going just for them.... even though I do zero Adoulin content (have no group) I just muck around doing old stuff myself for fun at the moment lol.

Not sure how long that will last though.

What would that be like? Feasible (with item levels and all that)? Would it be a pain to find groups for the content?

Oh god what am I saying...

EDIT: Are those battles actually fun? Like... halfway as good as CoP in its prime fun?

The new fights on hard mode have magic evasion through the roof, it's very difficult to land nukes even with the best gear. Typical setup is Pld Brd Whm Rng Rng Rng for 6 man stuff lately. Lots of AoE that will one shot you, unforgiving evasion and defense, and the occasional gimmick to exploit.

Normal is more flexible, but still not a joke and will kill you if you're ill prepared.

Riposte

Hmm... when I said harder, I meant harder than when you fought them in the storyline. "Normal" I guess.

Anyway, are they mechanically interesting fights? I'm have my doubts about how the game plays at 99, so I was wondering how those fights have adapted to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom