• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XI 2013 Seekers of Adoulin |OT| Go West, Young Adventurer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I was under the impression this game is all zerg at the new cap though.

Not really. Now that things seem to be settling down at the new cap (iLvl 119) things have started to get a bit more tactical again. Its just been a little strange since Adoulin started due to the way things have gotten so completely gear dependant, which in turn made some jobs ridiculously overpowered and as such tactics have generally been based around using them to their best advantage. Best example of this being Oatixur MNK becoming basically the only DD anyone really wanted in Delve.

I was under the impression this game is all zerg at the new cap though.

I don't think the game has been "all zerg" since Adoulin was introduced. I don't think delve is really zergy with it's megaboss phases and various exploitable weaknesses. It's fast paced, but it's not a mindless voidwatch style slaughterfest.

YMMV though.

B.K.

Adjustments to existing Delve content
Currently, Delve has been adjusted for 18-man groups, but we will be making adjustments so it can be undertaken by a party of six.

Looks like a lot more people will be clearing Delve.

Adjustments to existing Delve content
Currently, Delve has been adjusted for 18-man groups, but we will be making adjustments so it can be undertaken by a party of six.

Looks like a lot more people will be clearing Delve.

Depending how it is I'll probably set some up in IHOP on off days.

Caj814

so I haven't had time to juggle XI and XIV like I wanted to but have been taking advantage of the login campaign to get some points. What's considered to be the best items to use my points with?

Bilix

In my opinion, best bet is to get the more expensive 109 AF reforging items to save some gil or to sell, get the Trust Cipher on your main, and spend the rest on Emp +2 items or seals.

B.K.

What's a good way to get good evaluations to increase medal ranks in the past? I tried to do a Campaign Battle, but I died after killing just one mob. I thought that would be easy at level 99 with ilevel gear.

What's a good way to get good evaluations to increase medal ranks in the past? I tried to do a Campaign Battle, but I died after killing just one mob. I thought that would be easy at level 99 with ilevel gear.

If you sub dnc and use axe and shield you should have a lot more longevity. Eminent weapons are cheap and really powerful. More so than the WKR 115 drops.

Aumann

You can get through the sacrarium area with one person, just need to do it during the correct day when both targets are next to each other and you don't have to move just quick tab through them

Riposte

Does anyone know a link to a collection of PlayOnline and FFXI sound effects? Especially the former and menus of the latter.

ZetaEpyon

dev1174 | Dancer Job Adjustments said:
The following Dancer abilities will be adjusted.

• Curing Waltz / Healing Waltz / Divine Waltz
    The recast timer for these abilities will no longer be shared.
    * Abilities of the same type will continue to share the same recast timer.
  • The recast timer for Curing Waltz IV. Curing Waltz V, and Healing Waltz will be decreased.

Well, not quite as nice as if they were broken out along tiers in some way as I saw a few people on BG speculate, but still pretty great.

ZetaEpyon

Yep.

ffxi_2014.02.01_02.41.33.png

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
SE really need to allow an iLvl upgrade to Maat's Cap. Its a lovely thing to have (and a fun one to acquire) but with them adding so many ways to warp around these days, its purely town gear.

The once-a-day Ru'Lude warp should have its timer slashed because as it stands It feels a but foolish keeping it on-hand.

Caj814

has WoE farming gotten better on drop rates? I was thinking of doing some to finish unlocking my h2h WS trial but the last 3 times I went during busy hours I left with less than a handful of coins, dice and residue with probably a total play time of 12 hours :x

Is the Gaf guild active? I plan to start playing on the 360 as I don't have a laptop good nuff.How does the game work with a controller? Lot of buttons? I know I'll need a KB. is the game still grindy and impossibly hard to find parties with. I used to play on the 360 and got as far as the Dunes, and gave up trying to hunt the items for the job advance.

I seek to be a Dmg dealer. Which classes are the best/most fun for that?

B.K.

Update day tomorrow! Anyone up for some new Skirmishes tomorrow night?

Is the Gaf guild active?

It depends on the day of the week. Pan and some others have other shells they go with certain days of the week. It usually always has at least one or two people in it.

Loona

I seek to be a Dmg dealer. Which classes are the best/most fun for that?

For pure raw damage you can't go wrong with the likes of warrior, monk or black mage - there are plenty of others that work too, but these tend to be more direct and simple sbout it IMO, most jobs have a bit of utility in other aspects, and heck with a couple of skills and weapon choices warrior can lesn toward tanking instead.

ZetaEpyon

So, can I buy used? Will I have to buy a CD key for xbox?

If you can still access your old account, you just need the media (and whatever expansions, I guess), so you don't necessarily need a new key, but it might be easiest to just get the latest bundle.

Speaking to a couple of your other questions... it plays great on controller, it is a PS2 game at its core, after all. I use controller on PC.

The game also probably plays fundamentally differently now from what you remember. For the most part, soloing is totally possible (and reasonable), and it's significantly less dependent on party play. Certainly you still can party; some of the fastest ways to level are actually alliance-based.

It's probably also a safe bet that the GAF people who play will be more active than not right now, since a new patch just came out today.

Doesn't take much to run FFXI, you sure your laptop isn't good enough? You'll have a much better experience on the pc. You can still use a controller.

Let one of the sackholders (see spreadsheet in the OP) know when you get on so you can get a pearl. Activity waxes and wanes from day to day as BK mentioned, but there's a guildwork site I can invite you to, and if you're having trouble getting something done, you can always post and ask for assistance on the feed.

BK: I'll be down for trying skirmish closer to the weekend. Tomorrow will be normal events. Need some time to build up the new heads anyway. Paying for them is gonna suck.

Alrite, I'll go ahead and buy the games.

Doesn't take much to run FFXI, you sure your laptop isn't good enough? You'll have a much better experience on the pc. You can still use a controller.

My laptop can't even watch youtube videos without getting hot.

If you can still access your old account, you just need the media (and whatever expansions, I guess), so you don't necessarily need a new key, but it might be easiest to just get the latest bundle.

Speaking to a couple of your other questions... it plays great on controller, it is a PS2 game at its core, after all. I use controller on PC.

The game also probably plays fundamentally differently now from what you remember. For the most part, soloing is totally possible (and reasonable), and it's significantly less dependent on party play. Certainly you still can party; some of the fastest ways to level are actually alliance-based.

It's probably also a safe bet that the GAF people who play will be more active than not right now, since a new patch just came out today.

I played years ago on the beta. I don't have that xbox or account anymore.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Thoughts on the new patch, anyone?

I'm somewhat annoyed by the obvious slamming-on of brakes in terms of progression compared to previous patches. New skirmish being the most obvious example.

Its weird to me how severely they switch tactics; for example not only is upgrading gear via skirmish v3 harder and more time consuming (maybe 10% chance of upgrade KI on completion, 6 wings per upgrade) but actually getting hold of Ra'Kaznar heads is pretty painful atm. Considering how liberal skirmish v2 was, its quite a slap in the face and has me thinking; I get it guys you dont want everyone rocking ilvl 119 gear from the get-go, but was it really necessary to add all these roadblocks?

6-man Delve is fun at least, especially as it appears to scale per player, not per-party.

ZetaEpyon

Is it actually that difficult to get Ra'Kaznar visages though? I got two (Tier 1 and 2), along with a Yorcia I in maybe 3 or 4 colonization reives the first night. I mean, sure, they'll be expensive to buy, but that was the case for all of them when they first became available.

I guess I don't find it surprising that they're slowing things down, but I would've liked to see different items used for Relic reforging. The sustained demand on only a handful of items is going to make both Relic and Artifact reforging more costly, and I wonder if it would have been more palatable if they needed different things.

Is it actually that difficult to get Ra'Kaznar visages though? I got two (Tier 1 and 2), along with a Yorcia I in maybe 3 or 4 colonization reives the first night. I mean, sure, they'll be expensive to buy, but that was the case for all of them when they first became available.

I guess I don't find it surprising that they're slowing things down, but I would've liked to see different items used for Relic reforging. The sustained demand on only a handful of items is going to make both Relic and Artifact reforging more costly, and I wonder if it would have been more palatable if they needed different things.

With voidwatch being required for some upgrades, you can expect to see more 109 mats in circulation, as a lot of them drop from the same mobs.

silenttwn

I just reinstalled the game after 10 years. I joined Sylph as a Hume. My handle on there is Byrnn. Hope to see some of you on there!

ZetaEpyon

I just reinstalled the game after 10 years. I joined Sylph as a Hume. My handle on there is Byrnn. Hope to see some of you on there!

Cool, shoot one of us a tell when you're online (see the player list linked in the 1st post), and we'll get you a pearl for the linkshell.

ZetaEpyon

So, wait, is it cheaper just to buy the game on Steam and then buy the game used on amazon?

What? You mean to buy a used 360 copy, just for the media? It probably depends on which thing you're buying for the 360 - I'm pretty sure you still need to have media that supports the expansions you need.

Square Enix said:
Race HP/MP Changes

This was reported on before, but I will report on a change in the situation.

This was being worked on being released soon, but it turns out if you adjust race HP there are monsters that have HP adjusted in tandem (Program-wise, there are enemies that consult the race stat tables to determine their own statistics).

Because a significant amount of time is needed to adjust all of these, we will have to delay the adjustment of race HP to the April update.

You will have to wait a bit longer, but I hope you can understand.

Lolol, spaghetti code.

ZetaEpyon

The full pack is $40 on Steam right now. I'd be pretty surprised if throwing that on top of a used price is cheaper than just buying the latest new 360 package.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom