• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XI | OT | Vana'diel Forever

thedan001

They announced the Linkshell Community beta site is closing down.
I wonder how well ffxiah.com will work when it does...

Guildwork has the same feature of linking things to their website, might become the standard going forward it seems

Some of the main functions on Linkshell Community website stopped working for months now, I couldn't even establish a linkshell and that was couple weeks ago

In short, many players saw this coming

Aeana

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

stuff is closing down :(
I've been putting off coming back to do the last stuff for such a long time. I need to find some time to do that before all of the cool auxiliary services surrounding the game start breaking apart.

They announced the Linkshell Community beta site is closing down.
I wonder how well ffxiah.com will work when it does...

Man if ffxiah goes down I might actually quit the game. Hard enough finding things to buy on a low-pop server without looking for bazaars the hard way.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

stuff is closing down :(
I've been putting off coming back to do the last stuff for such a long time. I need to find some time to do that before all of the cool auxiliary services surrounding the game start breaking apart.

I wouldn't exactly call this a "service". More like a vestigial organ.

Man if ffxiah goes down I might actually quit the game. Hard enough finding things to buy on a low-pop server without looking for bazaars the hard way.

AH won't be affected. It pretty much lives on windower users anyway.

Loona

The loss of FFXIDB.com would be the really big blow for me - the drop and map data on that thing can be priceless at times. sadly, it hasn't been updated with later Adoulin maps and beyond...

The grim talk of dying ffxi community sites had me do a quick seach of the older sites I used to frequent when I first played this game and holy hell a lot are still up. Most of them stopped updating their FFXI knowledge bases years ago, but it's a trip to see some of the oldest sites still around like elemen, ffxi-atlas, somepage, etc.

This blog post about exp camps from 2006 is still up. Nostalgia!

Guys just to be clear, FFXIAH and FFXIDB are fine. None of the things you use are going away.

The terrible "linkshell community" site is what's going away. It tracked a little bit of character data which more useful sites used to scrape, but all that stuff tends to happen via windower and other means now.

Jayhawk

There was a long period of time where the community site stopped working and FFXIAH and DB were fine then. Those sites will be fine.

ZetaEpyon

I genuinely believe they were/are waiting for things to settle after dropping PS2/360 support to consider any server merges.

At this point, I kind of don't want one anyway, because although Sylph can seem a little deserted at times, at least we have less competition for things like instanced zones. Getting into Ambuscade was bad enough on a small server... can't imagine how horrible it was on somewhere like Asura.

Taruranto

I never heard of this Linkshell Community beta site in all my years of FFXI, wow.

The grim talk of dying ffxi community sites had me do a quick seach of the older sites I used to frequent when I first played this game and holy hell a lot are still up. Most of them stopped updating their FFXI knowledge bases years ago, but it's a trip to see some of the oldest sites still around like elemen, ffxi-atlas, somepage, etc.

This blog post about exp camps from 2006 is still up. Nostalgia!

10s
9-11 Valkurm Dunes (Hill Lizard)
13-16 Valkurm Dunes (Snipper/Damselfly)

TRIGGERED

Got a nice present from the gobbiebox

8dLFw44.png

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Whoah, mounts!? Just thinking of all the hours of footwork these would have saved me over the years. Updating now for my login points so I can grab the Tiger mount. Looks like I'll finally bother with getting a chocobo whistle for the Chocobo mount too. Almost missed this. Was just checking to see if any new sidequests were added.

frequency

With all the teleports now I haven't actually ever even used my mount since unlocking it and I don't see many situations where I would.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Can mounts be used in the past? The WotG areas would benefit a lot since teleports are much more scarce. Running to those remote Walk of Echoes entrances sucked.

Also loving that I can get my mount with just 1 login instead of 5.

Riposte

Linkshell Community was terribly implemented and no one used it, but I remember liking it for some reason. It needed to be accessible in-game.

Ralemont

not me
I'm actually shocked there haven't been a lot of server mergers already.

There was awhile upon return where I was hoping for one because Lakshmi is relatively dead, but after the introduction of Ambuscade, and after being able to pop Escha mobs any time I want without competition, I'm now of the opinion that it would do more harm than good. Which probably means SE will do it.

Loona

There was awhile upon return where I was hoping for one because Lakshmi is relatively dead, but after the introduction of Ambuscade, and after being able to pop Escha mobs any time I want without competition, I'm now of the opinion that it would do more harm than good. Which probably means SE will do it.

Hopefully only when I'm done getting my BLU spells off free-range near-unique NMs like Khimaira, as well as getting the NM RoE objectives (like killing Bloodtear Baldruf in La Theine last night)...

Ralemont

not me
Hopefully only when I'm done getting my BLU spells off free-range near-unique NMs like Khimaira, as well as getting the NM RoE objectives (like killing Bloodtear Baldruf in La Theine last night)...

On the plus side, it might mean more people actually doing Wildskeeper Reives, which might mean I can actually get Carcharian Verve...

Darryl

Banned
the golden days of 5k server pop. my goodness. I've started and stopped this game so many times I've played at every pop level. it was so busy then, somehow all zones were full at all times

I felt like the game started to feel dead around 3K, which is crazy to think about. Couldn't find any traditional parties anymore

in 1-1.5K it was like nobody was playing the real game. it was still a blast tho cuz abyssea was good content and full of people even tho it destroyed the original game.

I came back around 800-900 pop post-abyssea an managed to do a lot with friends still and found a couple stragglers in the wild.

last time I came back (idk, last January?) it was down to just 250 pop. That was basically like a dozen players and an army of afkers.

what's pop at now? too scared to check myself

Loona

what's pop at now? too scared to check myself

It seems to depend a lot on the server.

Sometimes I search for "ffxi" on Twitter just to see what kind of comments or articles are out there about the game, and maybe find related accounts.
Recently, doing that on my account returns my own account even before the official SE ones...
The articles stuff rarely returns anything interesting at the level of the old Elliot Lefebvre articles at Massively, and most videos out there are either people starting the game and saying stuff I've heard and read countless times before, or people doing NMs or events - I wonder if I should write something or try to make videos about more broader themes of the game like its narratives and underlying design decisions, or its characters, since most people only know the ones that made it to Dissidia, if that much...

B.K.

Yeah, you may need to enable DirectPlay before it'll work, but I've been running fine since the Win10 preview releases.

Yeah. I was having a lot or trouble getting DirectPlay to activate, but I finally found out that it was the McAfee software that came preinstalled. I need to get some good anti-virus software and uninstall that. It took me a hour to figure it out and finally just get the benchmark running. I got 11,000 on it. The game should run pretty well after I finally get everything reinstalled and updated.

Yeah. I was having a lot or trouble getting DirectPlay to activate, but I finally found out that it was the McAfee software that came preinstalled. I need to get some good anti-virus software and uninstall that. It took me a hour to figure it out and finally just get the benchmark running. I got 11,000 on it. The game should run pretty well after I finally get everything reinstalled and updated.

You gonna be back on this week? We should get you into ambuscade before the month is up.

Kyolux

New Welcome Back campaign, with a hint of the next update making it easy to get item level 119: http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/campaign/wcb/

BTW, since this post has links to the first 3 voiced story videos (even if those are inexplicably set to private for now), how about adding the latest one about Rhapsodies? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUvQb59m01M

I'd come back. But last time I was stuck at the WotG quest where you have to sneak on the cait siths.. I kept getting busted on the last one. Got bored of it.

Whatcha trying to do?
just get back into the flow of things. I've been behind on gear since escha. Too busy with my fighting game tournaments.

Managed to clear zitah T1s, get adhemar kecks for COR and augment them, 109 all my BRD empy, Get a DNC dagger from Hanbi and augment it, and another couple 100 plutons for my ragnarok (still need 9k but w/e)

Overall a pretty good weekend.

B.K.

Does anyone know where I can download all the updates? I don't want to have to wait 12 hours for Playonline to update the game.

Kandinsky

I'd come back. But last time I was stuck at the WotG quest where you have to sneak on the cait siths.. I kept getting busted on the last one. Got bored of it.

It's terrible, i did it last week, now I'm stuck in an even worse minigame, god I hate wotg.

Does anyone know where I can download all the updates? I don't want to have to wait 12 hours for Playonline to update the game.

I remember dloading them from http://tehkrizz.net.

B.K.

Do I still need to use DS4Windows to use a Dual Shock 4 with the game on Windows 10? I can't get my controller to show up in the program, but when I go to controller settings in Windows, everything is working.

I remember dloading them from http://tehkrizz.net.

Not having much luck with that. I've tried twice and it gets about half way and stops.

Do I still need to use DS4Windows to use a Dual Shock 4 with the game on Windows 10? I can't get my controller to show up in the program, but when I go to controller settings in Windows, everything is working.

Not having much luck with that. I've tried twice and it gets about half way and stops.

DS4windows is needed to get it to be recognized as a 360 controller. You should be able to us it as a directinput controller without, but you'll still need to set it up in the FFXI config.

As promised:

img_20160504_200934.png

I had to have a GM get it to me since the moogle never delivered it. Thankfully they assured me this would not be using my one time restore.

saher

Banned
Downloading the game! , the Return Home campaign starts on the 13th.

Excited to see what changed, are there more places you can go to with trust now? like Dynamis and Salvage

Parshias7

Downloading the game! , the Return Home campaign starts on the 13th.

Excited to see what changed, are there more places you can go to with trust now? like Dynamis and Salvage

I don't think they ever added Trusts to Salvage, (although its easy at ilvl) but Trusts have been in Dynamis for a while now. Also, Dynamis is totally different from how it originally was.

Top Bottom