• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII-2 might be real

Chris R

Day 1!!! Loved FFXIII so anything more in that vein is fine by me. Set it right after the game ends and you have a great starting point for massive open world exploration and no hallways so others can enjoy it.

It'll probably have something to do with the
decrystallization of Fang and Vanille
. I can see that being a potential angle. If it's indeed happening I'm sure it will be Cocoon centric, at least that's my hope unless they let us fight that huge son of a bitch roaming around Pulse.

brandonh83 said:
It'll probably have something to do with the
decrystallization of Fang and Vanille
. I can see that being a potential angle. If it's indeed happening I'm sure it will be Cocoon centric, at least that's my hope unless they let us fight that huge son of a bitch roaming around Pulse.

Titan?
???

He'll kill your ass, son.

duckroll

TheJollyCorner said:
I really just want a Final Fantasy XIII: Complete, allowing me to explore more Cocoon and get a GOD DAMN THEATER MODE & NEW GAME +.

I really want a Final Fantasy VIII: Complete, with a much more fleshed out world, actual balance in the gameplay systems, getting promotions via optional missions instead of answering dumb quizzes, and a less abrupt final act.

We can't all get what we want though!

duckroll said:
I really want a Final Fantasy VIII: Complete, with a much more fleshed out world, actual balance in the gameplay systems, getting promotions via optional missions instead of answering dumb quizzes, and a less abrupt final act.

We can't all get what we want though!

co-signed

...although I thought they did a great job with VIII's world as it was.

This one will probably add in the cities and shit, and it'll be about Hope who uses guys and the theme song is "What Did I Do To You" sung by surprise Koda Kumi.

Angelus Errare said:
This one will probably add in the cities and shit, and it'll be about Hope who uses guys and the theme song is "What Did I Do To You" sung by surprise Koda Kumi.

Ironically then, you might say that there would be no hope for FFXIII-2.

Angelus Errare said:

but what will the English version be?

duckroll

TheJollyCorner said:
co-signed

...although I thought they did a great job with VIII's world as it was.

I think it's the FF world with the most potential, but they dropped the ball in the lack of cohesiveness. I really like how it was basically a modern world, with no extreme scifi trappings (nations were independent, there is no single superhub city, there were different political leanings, etc), and it was nothing like a traditional medieval or steampunk fantasy world. Yet this modernized world just happened to have magic and monsters, and many myths and legends. Even the main story initially made excellent use of this contrast, by showing how in times of political turmoil, such myths and legends can be leveraged to bring hope to people in the form of Edea.

Unfortunately, the story kinda got less and less cohesive as it went along, and it never fully leveraged on the potential of the worldview or the bring the story up to the scope it could have been. Many great ideas in there, just not well used in the end.

Magnus

Leave the disaster alone and give us something new and good, please.

(I'll still probably buy it, because for some fucking reason, the FF's goodwill from the 90's is still burning bright for me)

WickedLaharl said:
awesome. i was hoping SE would revisit one of the worst final fantasy worlds they created.

really, dude?

3760_v.gif

REALLY?

edit: DAMNIT! IT WAS A SNOW AVATAR, I SWEAR!!!!!!!!!!!

Kalnos

Banned
Square spends all their time talking about games at not actually putting anything of value out, except of remakes and spin-offs of course.

LiK

Kalnos said:
Square spends all their time talking about games at not actually putting anything of value out, except of remakes and spin-offs of course.

they hit the bottom of the well and now they're digging through it.

KaYotiX

Banned
Die Squirrel Die said:
More battle system, less everything else, please.

This, the game didnt get good untill the last few chapters. I could of done without the crappy run forward for 25 hrs then finally get to the good part.

Kalnos

Banned
LiK said:
they hit the bottom of the well and now they're digging through it.

That's one way to put it. :lol

They used to put out a game every 2 years or so for a while there. While the wait was longer for FFXII, at least it was a good game outside of factors added late in development (Vann).

duckroll said:
I think it's the FF world with the most potential, but they dropped the ball in the lack of cohesiveness. I really like how it was basically a modern world, with no extreme scifi trappings (nations were independent, there is no single superhub city, there were different political leanings, etc), and it was nothing like a traditional medieval or steampunk fantasy world. Yet this modernized world just happened to have magic and monsters, and many myths and legends. Even the main story initially made excellent use of this contrast, by showing how in times of political turmoil, such myths and legends can be leveraged to bring hope to people in the form of Edea.

Unfortunately, the story kinda got less and less cohesive as it went along, and it never fully leveraged on the potential of the worldview or the bring the story up to the scope it could have been. Many great ideas in there, just not well used in the end.

Eventually FFVIII's story just kind of narrows in on Squall and leaves the world behind. On one hand I love that, because I'd never seen that direction taken (consciously) in a console RPG on a such a specific level. To this day I don't believe that decision was made haphazardly. On the other hand, it does leave behind- like you said- a world of so much fantastic potential. For me the entirety of the world just 'connects' better than any other world before and after (maybe with the exception being FFX).

Winhill is absolutely amazing in its design. Almost 12 years later and I still feel it's my favorite 'town' in a FF game.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Am I the only one in this world that actually like Hope?

AND Snow. AND Vanille too, for that matter.

If this truly goes somewhere, hopefully we can get to see the whole gang back in some form.

Jerk

Banned
duckroll said:
I'm sorry but FFIX isn't getting a sequel, and FFIV already did.

Epic troll or ugly truth?

I cannot decide.

Laughing Banana said:

If this truly goes somewhere, hopefully we can get to see the whole gang back in some form.

No. There are plenty of other people on this earth with equally poor taste.

Laughing Banana said:

You're not the only one. I found all three characters pretty endearing.
I thought Hope was one of the most well-handled 'young' characters in any FF game, to be honest.

I don't think Snow is as bad as everyone lets on. But Vanille was hard for me to like because of her squeaky annoying voice. Hope was hit or miss for me, sometimes I felt that he was okay, other times very overdramatic.

I legitimately liked Lightning, Fang, and Sazh though.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Sweet, I liked XIII so they only have to make a few relatively small tweaks and I'll probably love it

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Despite an at-times terrible journey to get to the end, FFXIII did have a very respectable ending; while I was disgusted with much of the game, I actually thought the ending was emotional, touching, and actually achieved a bittersweet and even painful tone that other FF games have toyed with but ultimately cheaped out on.

There is great potential for FFXIII-2 to be a much better game. Mainly, they would HAVE to focus more on the massive amount of worldbuilding and lore that was created rather than on a sappy, generic shonen adventure story.

wtf? FFXIII was a good game, but it seriously had one of the worst universes and some of the worst characters in a Japanese game this generation. I honestly can't think of anything interesting they do with the scenario after that Horrid ending (As well as the post-ending stuff in the International version). Just use the battle system, not the narrative stuff.

duckroll said:
Haha. Haters hurry up and quit gaming so I don't have to ban you when you endlessly whine about shit after it's announced! :lol
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Thanks. Dude, you just made me feel better.

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
wtf? FFXIII was a good game, but it seriously had one of the worst universes and some of the worst characters in a Japanese game this generation. I honestly can't think of anything interesting they do with the scenario after that Horrid ending (As well as the post-ending stuff in the International version). Just use the battle system, not the narrative stuff.
The Final Fantasy series really doesn't reuse battle systems, unless you count the basic sameness of ATB from FFIV through FFIX.

Top Bottom