• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII-2 PC |OT| So you think you can ride this Chocobo!

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Platinumed the game and I was still waiting for the moment it proved to be better than XIII(or rather even a good game).

Fixed a few issues, but backpedaled on so many others. Combat was made absurdly easier, the monster capture didn't amount to much given how broken it is regarding game balance(even the silly polygonal-shape mage things you get in the early hours can carry you through the entire game...they did for me). The environments were a bit more maze-like but also tedious to push through(especially in the lategame). Some of the minigames reach FFX-levels of irritation to complete. They story and characters are gutter-trash tier, though hardly surprising to anyone.

Music and visuals were nice though.

GHG

Gold Member
Can I play this without having played through all of XIII?

I played 15 hours of XIII, got bored and never returned.

I really want to give this one a go just for the monster capture elements but will I be lost?

Whogie

Can I play this without having played through all of XIII?

I played 15 hours of XIII, got bored and never returned.

I really want to give this one a go just for the monster capture elements but will I be lost?

I think so. I forget if they recap it, but you might just want to watch the ending for XIII. Otherwise, the story is mostly its own.

GHG

Gold Member
I think so. I forget if they recap it, but you might just want to watch the ending for XIII. Otherwise, the story is mostly its own.

Cool, think I'll check this out then. Just realised I haven't actually sat down and played a JRPG all year... indicative of where the genre is at the moment since there is nothing on the new gen consoles yet.

People are actually buying this after 13s release?

I totally get why people are hesitant to jump in due to FFXIII's performance problems. Really stupid shit that should be fixed.

For me, it goes like this:

1. Fun things are fun.
2. Class ends today, I and want something to do.
3. $13.50 is impulse buy territory.
4. They fixed resolutions for this one already
5.My Titan had no problems brute forcing 4k@60fps .

GHG

Gold Member
People still have problems with the game being locked to 30.

Meh not an issue here. I'll probably downsample as far as I can go and lock it to 30fps.

This is not a game that needs 60fps so not an issue for me.

I just hope I like the actual game more than I did XIII.

I have awoken from the eternal slumbers...!

God, this game is so incredibly good. From the music, to the potential min-maxing of the stats, to the characters. Yeul, Noel, Caius FOREVER IN MY HEART!!!

Great OT LuuK, it truly does look classy! Yet again, I'm so sorry I failed you! I really tried to save up every free minute I could in order to work on this OT, but alas I never succeeded with my mission :( thanks for saving me, LuuK!

There you are have some music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvGnmt70kms

hopefully you get some time to play

tumblr_m6pu4xAZ8G1qf9nn9.gif

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Shame i wasted 11 bucks on it if that's the case, won't be buying this or the third game cause they will have the exact same issue if what you say is true.

Actually Nethania, the last two games will work precisely because of the reason why FF13 wont

How do you know that?

Its locked to 30 specifically because it has to do with the engine synching with the cut-scenes at 30fps. As you might already know, 99.9% of everything that isn't walking around or a battle is a video file playing, as such you run into those 30fps cutscenes that can't be changed, removing the 30fps cap pretty much artificially speeds up all the cut-scenes too, breaking the game.

However, FF13-2 and FF13-3 are all 99% real time, outside of the beginning and ending cut-scenes, this makes it much easier to apply resolution and framerate options for the game.

Nethaniah

Bah, it still sucks, i don't want to play the original at 30fps but i also don't want to skip a game, shitty situation, why did SE even advertise with 60fps for the original.

Its locked to 30 specifically because it has to do with the engine synching with the cut-scenes at 30fps. As you might already know, 99.9% of everything that isn't walking around or a battle is a video file playing, as such you run into those 30fps cutscenes that can't be changed, removing the 30fps cap pretty much artificially speeds up all the cut-scenes too, breaking the game.

However, FF13-2 and FF13-3 are all 99% real time, outside of the beginning and ending cut-scenes, this makes it much easier to apply resolution and framerate options for the game.

You sure about that? I thought it was because of the battle UI?

My misadventures with the first game's performance problems

It's the same engine. The only problem I had with the lock was when I hit 8k.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
You sure about that? I thought it was because of the battle UI?

No i'm not sure, i'm just guessing in the wind. But i will say that the games optimization problems definitely have to do with the FMV's, and there will be no issues with framerate in the second or third games

Falk

that puzzling face

*snicker* :V

To be a little more useful:

Virtually everyone who's in the "getting 60fps, with 30fps dips" cross section has 60 outside of battles and 30 in battles, except that 30 goes right back to 60 if the battle UI is disabled via GeDoSaTo.

So no, what you hypothesize is totally not it.

edit2: with the obvious caveat that FMVs are 30 regardless.

Erasus

I played through FFXIII (on PS3) and liked it a lot.
Have XIII-2 on PS3, started it, played like 9h and now I dont remember where to go. I cant see any marking on the historia crux AND the game doesnt mark the side quest ive picked up?
Did they think this was a good design? I really like the game but now I might get the PC version if its optimized. I dunno...

Blu(e)

Wished I had waited on buying the PS3 version. Not sure if I should just play it there or wait until they port Lightning returns and just play all three on PC.

Bittercup

[...]
If the monster capture is your main motivation, better don't expect too much from it.
In theory it has some complexity if you want to grind for the best possible creatures. But that's not required for beating the game or even getting the platinum trophy. You can easily get that with putting hardly any effort in it and you can just stick to a few creatures you get early on and don't bother with monster capture for the rest.
Personally I found it more like a weak substitute for not having a full party.

Kazdane

When I played this, for some reason I couldn't find the motivation to beat (just two DLC bosses, but covering it in spoiler anyways)
Gilgamesh (the bastard just kept healing himself almost to full and apparently your only way to defeat him was either Chichu or Valkirye Lightning), and all the Valfodr encounters
. I'll do this time, though, since this and PES 2015 are the games I'm going to play during Christmas.

It's suprising how you can get to the last boss and realize you are underleveled when you get to the final battle (I spent something like 23 minutes to kill him the first time), to the point I even managed to see
Exaflare, and no, it was NOT pretty

Frumix

Suffering From Success
It's suprising how you can get to the last boss and realize you are underleveled when you get to the final battle (I spent something like 23 minutes to kill him the first time), to the point I even managed to see
Exaflare, and no, it was NOT pretty

Final boss can be one-cycled at very very low levels which I take as a testament that there's some generally unseen depth to the battle system.

Cerity

I'd have grabbed this already if performance wasn't so dubious. Will await reports, got other games to play in the meantime.

Kazdane

Final boss can be one-cycled at very very low levels which I take as a testament that there's some generally unseen depth to the battle system.

Really? I admit I never looked that much into the battle system of XIII-2 because it felt like a dumbed down version of XIII (no haste, much harder to stagger enemies, and since the balance is done with such small numbers, the stagger isn't as important as it was in XIII).

Aaargh. Gonna miss this one.. ah well. someone throw those extraction tools at this when you can, should be interesting to see what we can get out..

BasilZero

I'm excited that this game is coming out on Steam.

Cant imagine how many times I wished the trilogy (or the first 2 games at least) come out on PC.

I really loved XIII-2 the most out of the first two games.

(BTW - bought LR FFXIII and will be playing that sometime soon on PS3 - thats right, gonna double dip on the entire trilogy on PC :p).

A really fantastic and very playable Final Fantasy game. IMO much better than FF13.

Bonus: has the best villain since Sephiroth.

The music when you are in the "menu" selecting your destination to teleport is amazing, let me find the track.

impact

Banned
Bah, it still sucks, i don't want to play the original at 30fps but i also don't want to skip a game, shitty situation, why did SE even advertise with 60fps for the original.

Blessing in disguise.

This game is somehow worse than FF13. Yea I dunno how they did that either.

Eh, I liked this game when I played through and beat it but I'm not buying until I hear and see how decent the port is. Hopes are not up.

Top Bottom