• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT2|

Amir0x

Banned
20,000 Posts in the other thread, time for a new topic! ALL KAGARI'S WORK BELOW >>

ff8.jpg

br.png

spc.png

TITLE | FINAL FANTASY XIII

PRODUCER | Yoshinori Kitase
DIRECTOR | Motomu Toriyama
CHARACTER DESIGN | Tetsuya Nomura
SUB-CHARACTER DESIGN | Nao Ikeda
MUSIC | Masashi Hamauzu
ART DIRECTOR | Isamu Kamikokuryo
SUMMON DESIGN | Chikako Nakano
MAIN PROGRAMMER | Kazumi Kobayashi
MOVIE DIRECTOR | Eiji Fujii
BATTLE DESIGN | Toshiro Tsuchida
WEAPON DESIGN | Tetsu Tsukamoto

RELEASE DATE | March 9, 2010
GENRE | Role Playing

For PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

Official North American Site
Official European Site

PlayStation 3
Linear PCM 5.1Ch/Dolby Digital 5.1ch/DTS Digital Surround 5.1ch
No HDD Install
1 Dual Layer Blu-Ray Disc
Video Resolution Support 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p

Xbox 360
Dolby Digital 5.1ch
18GB HDD Install Size (Optional)
3 Dual-Layer DVDs
Video Resolution Support 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p

bt.png
TROPHIES
21 Bronze | 9 Silver | 5 Gold | 1 Platinum
Some trophies allow access to special custom XMB themes.

bt2.png
ACHIEVEMENTS
21 15G | 9 30G | 4 80G | 1 95G
Some achievements unlock gamer portraits.​

BONUS
PlayStation 3 version Square-Enix Members code unlocks Final Fantasy XIV promotions: in-game item + chance to enter the PS3 beta.
Xbox 360 version Square-Enix Members code unlocks PSICOM avatar items for the NXE avatars.​

br.png

bx.png

boxarts2.png

br.png

chr.png

allch.png

LIGHTNING | This solitary young woman speaks little of herself - even her true name is a mystery. She is known to others simply as "Lightning."

SNOW VILLIERS | An irrepressible, fiery young man, Snow dives headfirst into danger using nothing but his powerful physique as a weapon. Easily swayed by emotion, he is prone to rash words and actions. Nonetheless, many are won over by his outgoing and optimistic nature.

OERBA DIA VANILLE | Vanille is an endearing young woman with a relentlessly sunny disposition. Her bright personality gives no hint of the dark resolve that lies within.

SAZH KATZROY | Sazh is a friendly, cheerful man who is never without his curious companions—a chocobo chick and a pair of pistols. He is quick to banter, but also keeps a mature perspective on matters. Uncontrollable events have set him on his current path, but another purpose compels him to walk it.

HOPE ESTHEIM | Hope has enjoyed a markedly uneventful youth on humankind's haven of Cocoon. His life is turned upside down at the hands of the Sanctum's Purge.

OERBA YUN FANG | Fang is a mysterious woman who is working with the Sanctum military despite bearing the mark of the detested l'Cie. She has a strong-minded personality and is unconcerned with trivialities.​

br.png

btl.png

HUD.png

The Active Time Battle system returns for Final Fantasy XIII contributing to the most streamlined entry in the series. ATB works similar to previous entries, in that the player must wait for the gauge to fill up before their character can perform an ability.

The game opens up with very limited choices. You begin with only two ATB slots (that later can be expanded after story events in the game), as well as commands such as Auto-battle, Abilities, and Items. By selecting Auto-battle, you automatically stock a set of moves based on the battle situation. For example, if there are multiple enemies on screen, Lightning will default to an area attack. If you select Abilities, you can chose which specific attack you would like to use opposed to AI decision. Items are fairly self explanatory. Any time during battle, you can cancel an ATB command and stock something else, while keeping your gauge full.

Once the battle system expands, you're given a few other command options. Techniques come into play after a certain event in the story (fairly early on) which allows abilities such as Libra and eventually Summon, All Cure, etc. These are called TP Abilities and require a TP cost based on each action indicated in menu. TP is earned every time you complete a battle.

pd.png

The Paradigm Shift system allows players to essentially change set job classes in real time. In the menu, you're able to adjust different set ups for your party, resulting in variations of the different roles in the game that allow you to adapt to various battle situations. Each character begins with three set roles, and later on have the ability to obtain all six. Roles are leveled within the Crystarium system by earning CP points from battles. Each one is different and has a specific purpose:
roles.png

The summon system is different from previous games. Each character only has one summon, which must be fought in order to obtain it. Once a character gains the ability to call them forth, TP can be used and the summon replaces the other party members in battle. A bar under the summon's name will countdown as Summon Points, or SP, depletes.

At any time during a summoning, the player can initiate what is known as Gestalt Mode; a mode that transforms the creature into a vehicle form. This allows for more powerful attacks and usage of the summon's ultimate move.

Later on in the game, players can participate in mission based battles, aside from normal and boss battles. Missions take place on Gran Pulse, and are completely optional for the most part... There are a few that are progress oriented. Each mission can be replayed as many times as one wants and will net you items used to upgrade your character's weapons. Some of the more challenging missions are even harder than the story mode's final boss.​

br.png

br.png

br.png

rl.png

• Keep all console comparison discussion IN THE DISCUSSION THREAD.
  • No baiting, no console trolling, and no hindering the actual discussion of the game, or you will be banned.
  • MARK ALL SPOILERS WITH BRACKETS. Failure to do so will earn you a GAF holiday.
  • If you post in this thread, duckroll will ban you. He might not ban you today, he might not ban you tomorrow, but some day eventually if you keep posting you will be banned.

bt5.png
SPECIAL THANKS
Falsate
expy​

I was thinking about playing this next now that I'm between games

edit:
It's may and I still haven't, take that OT!

edit2: I started playing this game today! What'ssssss up

edit3: I'm not playing this anymore

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I really enjoyed this games battle system, but they shouldn't of put the auto-mode in there -.- Kinda kills how frantic and awesome it was. *for the people that used it*

From the last thread.

Lumine said:
Err what the hell is this? It was hard not to avoid any of the negative response to this game here, but I had to try it anyway. A final fantasy can't be that bad right?

I just started and I think I'm only a little over an hour in so I hope it's still going to pick up, but I'm defenitly not liking it much. It just seems completely stripped of everything. I'm just moving forward while fighting the camera system and then walking up to my enemies because apparently I'm unable to initiate the battle myself. During the battles all I have to do is press x for auto-attack. It's quite boring. Do I ever get to control any more characters at the same time? Do I get to level my characters up? Is there any customization other than the accessory slot? Is there more to the level design than just these corridors? Why is there no AF on those flat floors? Where the hell is everything? I know I'm a bit early in, but this seems so barren. Like it's completely stripped of anything FF and seems to play more like that FF7 PS2 spin-off game.

Please tell me it's getting better soon. :(

Game doesn't actually start until chapter 3 when paradigms and the crystarium become available. I'm afraid you'll have to play for another hour or 2 before the battle system consists of more than just auto-attack timing.

WTFing

Banned
Jeu de merde! This game has nothing to do with rpg games, there are zero ZERO adventure or seeking or findind shit.
Jeu de merde!

cosmicblizzard said:
From the last thread.

Game doesn't actually start until chapter 3 when paradigms and the crystarium become available. I'm afraid you'll have to play for another hour or 2 before the battle system consists of more than just auto-attack timing.

Still you delude yourself, foolish man!!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I don't want to sugar coat it for that quoted post above. He was playing for only an hour, and asking if it gets better soon? No. It will take 20+ hours before it gets "better", and even then, a big empty overworld (which is still a glorfyed one-way "tube") is not very fun IMO.

The only reason to play this game is for the battles, the music, the art, and possibly the outrageous scenario design. The details of the gameplay and the story are a little sad.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
cosmicblizzard said:
From the last thread.

I played for like 18 hours and it never got past much more than that. There actually wasn't much timing involved at all, actually.

Lain

It's only right that a great game gets its official thread over the 20k posts and "reset"!
And to once again seeing the header, I appreciate how the best character in the game gets to have the prominent position in the shot.

I need to get off my ass and finish those marks/make ultimate weapons for everyone/unlocks the last themes.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I thought something crazy went down in the OT for a second when I saw it locked in my subscriptions, I didn't really think the thread would reach so many posts.

Amir0x said:
ALL KAGARI'S WORK BELOW >>
:lol

Playing it right now and just reached Gran Pulse. Its like my fourth time through and I am still digging it. Some of the eye candy in the cutscenes and the environments I will probably never get tired of. So beautiful. The Sunleth Waterscape is one of the nicest looking places in any game I have played.

I still have around 20+ marks I never bothered doing in my previous plays, so at least there will be something new to find.

_tetsuo_ said:
I played for like 18 hours and it never got past much more than that. There actually wasn't much timing involved at all, actually.

I must've really sucked then. I was switching paradigms like crazy by the 5 hour mark. I probably could've only survived 10% of all battles using auto-attack alone and none of the boss fights.

BocoDragon said:
The only reason to play this game is for the battles, the music, the art, and possibly the outrageous scenario design. The details of the gameplay and the story are a little sad.

This is likely not the place to rip the game apart but I have to absolutely agree with you. What makes it worse is that quite frankly I would have no problem playing a game that is so restrictive and focused both in gameplay and design (the story was atrocious either way). The problem is, XIII couldn't even get THAT right either so in the end all the game has going for it are graphics.

Rpgmonkey

Well I'll just..respond to this post:

Lumine said:
Err what the hell is this? It was hard not to avoid any of the negative response to this game here, but I had to try it anyway. A final fantasy can't be that bad right?

I just started and I think I'm only a little over an hour in so I hope it's still going to pick up, but I'm defenitly not liking it much. It just seems completely stripped of everything. I'm just moving forward while fighting the camera system and then walking up to my enemies because apparently I'm unable to initiate the battle myself. During the battles all I have to do is press x for auto-attack. It's quite boring. Do I ever get to control any more characters at the same time? Do I get to level my characters up? Is there any customization other than the accessory slot? Is there more to the level design than just these corridors? Why is there no AF on those flat floors? Where the hell is everything? I know I'm a bit early in, but this seems so barren. Like it's completely stripped of anything FF and seems to play more like that FF7 PS2 spin-off game.

Please tell me it's getting better soon. :(

Gonna respond to each question in the middle of the paragraph:

-Certain battles later on require a bit of attention, but you should be able to stick through many battles with auto attack as long as you use Paradigm Shift properly.

-No, you don't ever get to control everyone at once. They're controlled by the AI at all times, but you can manipulate them a little when changing roles.

-Yes, there is a level up system. It's pretty much a "classic" leveling system that forces you to watch yourself work up to each individual ability or stat boost. Characters have multiple roles with distinct abilities, and you can choose which of these you want to level up. They cut it off at a certain point until you progress further into the game, so you can't really "overlevel".

-There is a weapon customization system. Unfortunately, it's almost completely useless until Chapter 11 or so, and even then I wouldn't say the system is all that great or even interesting.

-The level design in this game is pretty straightforward (and I mean this almost literally). Think of it as a shooter or action game, then replace the shooting or action mechanics with RPG ones. It branches off a little in Chapter 11, with a couple more locations (many optional) to visit.

-I assume by AF you mean something relating to the graphics? Yeah, people complained about the floors for months. Just wait until you get to areas that are supposed to be grassy plains. :lol

-The game doesn't feature many NPCs or towns, and the game has an extremely small cast of "important characters" (including playable and non-playable ones). It's pretty much you and the things you fight for a good 80% of the game.

Overall it's going to be a pretty straightforward game. It's not the most in-depth RPG you can find, but I do recommend that you keep going and see if you like the design decisions they made or can at least tolerate it.c

ultron87

One of these days I'm going to start playing this game again. I just hit a motivation brick wall when I got to Gran Pulse. I'm just not a huge fan of a billion "Go kill this boss monster" quests.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
cosmicblizzard said:
I must've really sucked then. I was switching paradigms like crazy by the 5 hour mark. I probably could've only survived 10% of all battles using auto-attack alone and none of the boss fights.

Of course you paradigm shift. And thats it.

BocoDragon

TheChillyAcademic said:
This is likely not the place to rip the game apart but I have to absolutely agree with you. What makes it worse is that quite frankly I would have no problem playing a game that is so restrictive and focused both in gameplay and design (the story was atrocious either way). The problem is, XIII couldn't even get THAT right either so in the end all the game has going for it are graphics.
I would say that FFXIII probably had one of the best design documents in gaming. Everything on paper was amazing. Great world design (cocoon and pulse were fantastic ideas for setting), great character design (IMO), amazing concepts for game locations, AMAZING music.

But the game that they actually rushed out in 1.5 years since they finished Crystal Tools in 2008, based on that design document, was a terrible disappointment.

Lumine

Thanks for the replies. I'll stick with it a little further at least. Who knows, perhaps it's just an acquired taste...

BocoDragon said:
I would say that FFXIII probably had one of the best design documents in history. Everything on paper was amazing. Great world design (cocoon and pulse were fantastic ideas for setting), great character design (IMO), amazing concepts for game locations, AMAZING music.

But the game that they actually rushed out in 1.5 years since they finished Crystal Tools in 2008, based on that design document, was a terrible disappointment.

Interesting art, some truly lovely locations (Nautilus for one) and well designed characters mean nothing at all if the carefully nuanced narrative and character direction is terrible.

That being said, anyone interested should definitely check the game out, if only for the experience.

I had fun with this game.

It feels really shallow to think about, but the quality of the entire presentation was a big motivator for me. I wanted to see the next area, cut scene, etc.

BocoDragon

TheChillyAcademic said:
Interesting art, some truly lovely locations (Nautilus for one) and well designed characters mean nothing at all if the carefully nuanced narrative and character direction is terrible.

Agreed.

TheChillyAcademic said:
That being said, anyone interested should definitely check the game out, if only for the experience.

Yup. I can trash this game in retrospect... but I wouldn't trade my experience of it for the world. There is a lot of fun to be had here (hand in hand with a certain amount of frustration). I have fond memories of that battle system!

It's just not ultimately up to par from what I expect from a full-rounded mainline FF game.

Amir0x

Banned
BocoDragon said:
Agreed.

Yup. I can trash this game in retrospect... but I wouldn't trade my experience of it for the world. There is a lot of fun to be had here (hand in hand with a certain amount of frustration). I have fond memories of that battle system!

It's just not ultimately up to par from what I expect from a full-rounded mainline FF game.

wait, let's just be clear here. You wouldn't trade your FFXIII experience FOR THE ENTIRE WORLD!?

Well thanks I guess the Entire World knows what you think of it now ;) :lol

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I'm about an hour or two in. When you're in Pulse (I think). Haven't touched it after that but I do plan on finishing it some day, if just for the insane production values

RaGe_pt

I got to the final boss in september I guess. Never bothered to come back and defeat the bastard. Maybe I should...

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Ahhh, what a great, great game FFXIII was.

I think if I replayed FFXIII this long after my hype has worn off, I might actually appreciate it more.

I've been going after the last few trophies, after not having touched the game for months, and I'm actually digging it.

Of course, that could change when I replay it and have to put up with the characters all over again.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
brandonh83 said:
Of course, that could change when I replay it and have to put up with the characters all over again.
Battle system is on par with the best games out there. IMO that + the world design compensates for the characters :)

Oh and Sazh is Square-Enix's best work in many, many years.

Carlisle

ultron87 said:
One of these days I'm going to start playing this game again. I just hit a motivation brick wall when I got to Gran Pulse. I'm just not a huge fan of a billion "Go kill this boss monster" quests.
Did the same thing for the same reason at the same spot. I actually tried to skip all that and go passed it, but I keep getting eviscerated at the next boss fight. So I figure I gotta stick around on GP and level or farm or something. Anyway, I just quit and that was a good 4 months ago.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I loved this game. Gonna play through it again soon (#3)

Soundtrack is damned good too.

Yoshichan

DY_nasty said:
I loved this game. Gonna play through it again soon (#3)
Yep, my next playthrough will be my fourth one, which is insane when I think about it. I've watched two whole playthroughs of it.
DY_nasty said:
Soundtrack is damned good too.
I pretty much listen to this once a week. One of the most impressive soundtracks of this generation. On par with the stuff Uematsu made in his late 90s.

I picked this up last week when it was $20 on Amazon. I think I still payed too much for it. I'm up to chapter 3 I think and have no desire to continue playing. I can't stand any of the characters and just want to /facepalm every time one of them talks(Snow especially, ugh). Combat it incredibly dull too.

Zoe

Teetris said:
I'm about an hour or two in. When you're in Pulse (I think). Haven't touched it after that but I do plan on finishing it some day, if just for the insane production values

No, you're not in Pulse.

Aru

Yoshichan said:
Yep, my next playthrough will be my fourth one, which is insane when I think about it. I've watched two whole playthroughs of it.

I pretty much listen to this once a week. One of the most impressive soundtracks of this generation. On par with the stuff Uematsu made in his late 90s.

Yeah, the soundtrack is crazy. I'm listening to some random tracks each week day when I'm in the train :D

BocoDragon

Amir0x said:
wait, let's just be clear here. You wouldn't trade your FFXIII experience FOR THE ENTIRE WORLD!?

Well thanks I guess the Entire World knows what you think of it now ;) :lol
On second thought I'd trade it for a copy of Vanquish.

Yoshichan

Aru said:
Yeah, the soundtrack is crazy. I'm listening to some random tracks each week day when I'm in the train :D
The intro theme on the train fits perfectly! Also when you're about to walk out of the train, load the boss theme and prepare to fight Guard Scorpion :D

dogmaan

Girl got arse pubes.
Truly one of the worst games I have ever played, what little enjoyment I squeezed out of this game, I am convinced is due to some long held, deep seated, Squaresoft Stockholm syndrome.

Lain said:
And to once again seeing the header, I appreciate how the best character in the game gets to have the prominent position in the shot.

Sazh? But all I see is Lightning's piercing.

Yoshichan said:
Oh and Sazh is Square-Enix's best work in many, many years.

Not even close, still the best character in XIII.

It may just be that I don't particularly care for the type of music the game employed, I felt it to be ambient and not particularly memorable.

And need I mention "My Hands"?

BocoDragon

TheChillyAcademic said:
It may just be that I don't particularly care for the type of music the game employed, I felt it to be ambient and not particularly memorable.

There's no accounting for taste when it comes to music. Personally I thought it was one of the most post-modern fusions of symphony+techno+pop+new age, and I loved every moment of it.

I know there are people who disliked both this soundtrack and XII's, they want their catchy little Uematsu ditties back (fair enough), but I personally think the soundtracks of recent FF games are the only things that have been perfect.

TheChillyAcademic said:

And need I mention "My Hands"?

I really liked the Nautilus music actually.

My favorite track in the game.

Big One

Banned
I'm having such a hard time getting through FF13 tbh. The battle system is actually pretty fantastic, but doing it over and over again is extremely boring. FF13 is like if you fused a JRPG with an arcade game. I'm still in the early stages of the game and I've been playing for around three months off-and-on. Or, trying, at least. It's kind of hard to go back when you're consistently playing good games alongside it.

With that being said I wish you were able to control your character's movements in battle, if I had any gripe with the system.

Top Bottom