• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT2|

genjiZERO

Fimbulvetr said:
Why bring down Atlus by teaming them up with SE?

Oh C'mon man. Just because SE is crap now, and has been so for a while doesn't mean they always will be. They just need some new blood. They still have a lot of "technical" skill - they just don't have any creativity to do anything with it. That's a shame because they're the biggest non-console Japanese developer and have been responsible for some of the greatest gaming moments of all time. SE is like the Eldar - living fossils obsessed with their own past glory - but the Fourth Age is upon us - I'd like to see a revival rather than see them fade away to Arda . . .

genjiZERO said:
Oh C'mon man. Just because SE is crap now, and has been so for a while doesn't mean they always will be. They just need some new blood. They still have a lot of "technical" skill - they just don't have any creativity to do anything with it. That's a shame because they're the biggest non-console Japanese developer and have been responsible for some of the greatest gaming moments of all time. SE is like the Eldar - living fossils obsessed with their own past glory - but the Fourth Age is upon us - I'd like to see a revival rather than see them fade away to Arda . . .

That's not what I mean.

I've referring to the fact that Atlus has better writers(SMT3; HK-47 says Devil Survivor is pretty good in this respect, but I haven't played that yet) and actually know how to create balanced battles(even the best FF games got broken at some point).

About the only thing SE can provide is an absurd budget.

genjiZERO

Fimbulvetr said:
That's not what I mean.

I've referring to the fact that Atlus has better writers(SMT3; HK-47 says Devil Survivor is pretty good in this respect, but I haven't played that yet) and actually know how to create balanced battles(even the best FF games got broken at some point).

About the only thing SE can provide is an absurd budget.

Oh right on. No I completely agree about Atlus. I guess what I'm saying is that with Atlus' skill and SE's technical and visual skills we could get the next Chrono Trigger. True SE can and does throw loads of money at a game, but that seems OK to me it's profitable. I guess what I'm saying is that I'd like to see Atlus use SE's budget and engine, but maintain creative control, to create a game.

Willy105 said:
I still want to play this game. A more action packed, streamlined, and cinematic role playing experience sounds great, despite others saying that's not Final Fantasy.

Well I don't think its just that it its a bad Final Fantasy game, its a bad action packed, streamlined and cinematic role playing experience.

CrankyJay

Banned
Shao gui is being a bastard. I get him down to about 30% and he Bays me. Every. Damn. Time. :lol

Finally beat his ass. Got a dark matter. =)

Beat him in 3:42

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Fun game, I play it from time to time.

But it's definitely not my top Final Fantasy game.

Also I'm on my 2nd play-through (because I like seeing the sceneries).

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
ULTROS! said:
Fun game, I play it from time to time.

But it's definitely not my top Final Fantasy game.

Also I'm on my 2nd play-through (because I like seeing the sceneries).
The Gapra Whitewood was gorgeous... too bad they made you think it was bigger than it really was with that 'follow the beacon!' stuff.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I would have liked Gapra Whitewoods if it wasn't long and repetitive.

I'd say the best looking ones were Nautilus, Lake Bresha, and Pulse.

ULTROS! said:

What part of Pulse? That's a lot of area to choose from.

But yeah, Bresha was great.

DY_nasty

ULTROS! said:

The final stretch of the game was what blew me away.

ULTROS!

Fimbulvetr said:
What part of Pulse? That's a lot of area to choose from.

But yeah, Bresha was great.

Probably all of Pulse except the cave.

DY_nasty

How many people got fucked up by that first Behemoth King?

*raises hand*

TheChillyAcademic said:
33eoe1e.jpg

He's perfect.

Solstice said:
I swore to myself I would never play that game again. It took all of my willpower just to finish it.
It wasn't THAT bad. :lol

I hated it at first so I traded it in for Super Street Fighter IV and then bought it back a while after and started up again from chapter 11 and beat it. It was worth it, I guess.

Dissonance said:
It wasn't THAT bad. :lol

I hated it at first so I traded it in for Super Street Fighter IV and then bought it back a while after and started up again from chapter 11 and beat it. It was worth it, I guess.

It WAS that bad. The game did not engage me one bit. It didn't try to make me car about the characters, the battle system was terrible (It was more of a press X to win than DMC2), and it was linear as fuck. Hell, I just Gamefly'd the damn thing and I STILL feel like I wasted money on it.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Picked this up on the amazon marketplace for $24. I don't see what people are complaining about with this game. I'm really enjoying it so far. (2 hours in, so who knows how my opinion will change).

And the battle music...SO GOOD.

Solstice said:
It WAS that bad. The game did not engage me one bit. It didn't try to make me car about the characters, the battle system was terrible (It was more of a press X to win than DMC2), and it was linear as fuck. Hell, I just Gamefly'd the damn thing and I STILL feel like I wasted money on it.
You need to try playing the game high or drunk. It'll make all it much better. :lol

MechaX

Trent Strong said:
I liked Vanille.

When the Japanese trailers started trickling in, I thought I would loathe Snow and be alright with Vanille.

And then the game came out... and boy was I wrong... The girl is more batshit than Selphie, for goodness sake.

DY_nasty said:
The Gapra Whitewood was gorgeous... too bad they made you think it was bigger than it really was with that 'follow the beacon!' stuff.

Gapra Whitewood may be the best looking area I've ever seen in a game. The game really had so many unique environments.

MechaX said:
When the Japanese trailers started trickling in, I thought I would loathe Snow and be alright with Vanille.

And then the game came out... and boy was I wrong... The girl is more batshit than Selphie, for goodness sake.

She's hot though.

DY_nasty

I think I fell in love with Fang too.

Lightning is awesome and everything but Fang.... waifu <3

MechaX

Fimbulvetr said:
Bububu- they said she was 18.

And it's totally believable, right guys?

Just like Sazh is an ancient old man for being at the ripe old age of 30-35. Damn JRPG age standards.

Erasus said:
I am still only on Gran Pulse :lol

Gran Pulse was the only enjoyable part of the game for me since, like mentioned above, it wasn't a hallway simulator. And, too give the game one redeeming point, I guess it did have pretty good music.

Jex

BocoDragon said:
I wouldn't call Snow suave at all.

More like self-deluded bonehead. Even Lightning would agree.
Even the game seems to agree at times, thank god.

ULTROS!

Majukun said:
why the worst game of this generation is getting a SECOND OT? ò_ò

Worst game of the generation? No.

It's a fun game but it has its flaws.

Despera

Banned
Square Enix's only remaining hope is Versus XIII. They know it, we know it... They better make it as good as we hope it'll be.

Of course there are a lot of things to complain about in FF XIII, but there is one thing that I find particularly strange...

The main villains. Only 7 months have passed since I beat the game and I'm having a hard time remembering their significance or their reasons for fighting. Well, except for Barthandelus, which was a stupid character all together but appeared enough times to be somehow remembered.

graywolf323

ultron87 said:
One of these days I'm going to start playing this game again. I just hit a motivation brick wall when I got to Gran Pulse. I'm just not a huge fan of a billion "Go kill this boss monster" quests.

same thing that happened to me, I never have gotten back to it yet

Despera said:
The main villains. Only 7 months have passed since I beat the game and I'm having a hard time remembering their significance or their reasons for fighting. Well, except for Barthandelus, which was a stupid character all together but appeared enough times to be somehow remembered.

What villains?

Fimbulvetr said:
What villains?

I seem to remember something about destroying Cocoon.

And people opposing it.

And, um, zombies. Zombie monsters. Zombie robot monsters.

One of those was probably a bad guy. I think. Maybe.

Also the giant turtle. The giant turtle is evil.

Top Bottom