• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII PC |OT| Lightning must not be forgotten

HeelPower

How long should I stay and grind in that big open area (gran pulse, I think)? or can I just carry on with the story without any repercussions in terms of sudden difficulty?

Just fight everything on your way.I don't think you need to grind exessively at all unless you want to do optional stuff.

Crystarium is still capped at the end of the day.

UnrealEck

If it's not a framerate fix I'm going to be very upset.
I have a feeling it'll be that laughable update they advertised before.

UnrealEck

Surely they realise that a lot of FFXIII-2 and LR sales rely on this framerate fix. I know they're aware of the problems despite an employee of theirs saying it's not a common problem.

Did anyone attempt to switch out PC movies with PS3 ones?

I know they are in Sony's custom playstation mp4 container, but what if someone extracts the h.264 content then puts into a container the PC version can read?

TheTux

I know they are in Sony's custom playstation mp4 container, but what if someone extracts the h.264 content then puts into a container the PC version can read?

Someone took a PS3 cutscene and, if I understood correctly, repacked it for the PC version. It was posted in this thread but I don't know where the exact post is.

CentroXer

Banned
screenshot_2014-11-07knoa0.jpg

screenshot_2014-11-07v0og4.jpg

Bittercup

Yes, I did. Unfortunately I hit a wall. It worked fine for the intro but most of the wmp files are actually archives with several video files in them and the game expects the individual files to start at the same position. For wmps with only a single video you can exceed the size and replace them with higher quality versions but only (if I remember correctly) 2 are single video wmps and the rest has multiple files included. You can still replace them, but since every video must start at the same position in the file, this effectively limits pretty much the majority of videos to be the exact size (or smaller) as the videos included in the PC release.
Another thing that makes replacing videos less viable is, that the game expects bik video files, so you can't just simply use the PS3 files, you have to re-encode them. The PC release uses bink2 files but the bink2 encoder is not freely available, only bink1. This still works and with a high enough bitrate you can achieve a better video quality even more or less comparable to the PS3 version.
But unless someone finds a solution to exceed the expected file size this simply won't work.
Here is my post with a sample of a re-encoded video file.
The most disappointing part is, that SquareEnix actually did make new video files for the PC release. They didn't just took the 360 videos but put the effort in to make significantly better looking versions. If they had just used a higher bitrate they would look fine and no reason to complain. The game would be bigger though, but it's it's already a huge download. I doubt 10GB more would have been that bad.

Falk

that puzzling face
Yes, I did. Unfortunately I hit a wall. It worked fine for the intro but most of the wmp files are actually archives with several video files in them and the game expects the individual files to start at the same position. For wmps with only a single video you can exceed the size and replace them with higher quality versions but only (if I remember correctly) 2 are single video wmps and the rest has multiple files included. You can still replace them, but since every video must start at the same position in the file, this effectively limits pretty much the majority of videos to be the exact size (or smaller) as the videos included in the PC release.
Another thing that makes replacing videos less viable is, that the game expects bik video files, so you can't just simply use the PS3 files, you have to re-encode them. The PC release uses bink2 files but the bink2 encoder is not freely available, only bink1. This still works and with a high enough bitrate you can achieve a better video quality even more or less comparable to the PS3 version.
But unless someone finds a solution to exceed the expected file size this simply won't work.
The most disappointing part is, that SquareEnix actually did make new video files for the PC release. They didn't just took the 360 videos but put the effort in to make significantly better looking versions. If they had just used a higher bitrate they would look fine and no reason to complain. The game would be bigger though, but it's it's already a huge download. I doubt 10GB more would have been that bad.

Wouldn't it be possible to sniff out where the offsets are read from and change them? (durante pls)

UnrealEck

Every time I see this thread bumped I think 'ooh it might be a framerate patch' and I leave dissapointed. Life's just not fair.

Levyne

Banned
It's still annoying to see both my CPU and GPU usage sitting so low as my game stutter at the mid-game Sazh/Vanille carnival area :/

TheTux

http://abload.de/img/screenshot_2014-11-07knoa0.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://abload.de/img/screenshot_2014-11-07v0og4.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Amazing, every single time anyone posts a picture I start hoping for a framerate patch again...

[quote="UnrealEck, post: 138082708"]Every time I see this thread bumped I think 'ooh it might be a framerate patch' and I leave dissapointed. Life's just not fair.[/QUOTE]

[quote="uncredited male, post: 138083476"]I am still amazed they are actually working on a patch. I will gladly pour my unrealistic expectations into it.[/QUOTE]
4 days ago (which is 2 weeks after the update announcement) they've updated their test build on Steam and I got hyped... as of today no patch has been released yet :(.

Really really hoping and expecting a framerate fix. I would really be pissed off if they just worked the past 3 weeks (or more, depending on when/if the patch will be released) just for a exit popup.

Zenaku

It's still annoying to see both my CPU and GPU usage sitting so low as my game stutter at the mid-game Sazh/Vanille carnival area :/

The game seems to hate sharing the CPU with other programs.

When I first ran it I had Chrome in the background, using around 10-15%, but I didn't think it'd be a big deal, with FFXIII only using 25%. Even with that low CPU usage I was getting frametimes of 60-100+ms, with stutter everywhere, until I set the games priority to high in the task manager, after which it settled to around 30ms.

After closing Chrome, and running with nothing in the background, the game goes all the way down to around 16ms even at normal priority, giving stutter free, locked 1440p@60fps (only drops during scene changes to and from battle).

Levyne

Banned
Hmm.

I have a fair number of things in the background, but almost all of them task master shows at 0 cpu.

I'm not allowed to change priority, it seems.

Zenaku

What about overall CPU usage? Even if processes show 0%, it could be between 0-1% (not sure if it rounds up after .5 or not) so it could all add up.

Since I can already get locked 60 with normal priority though, it's hard to tell if high priority will help any when nothing else is running.

If task manager won't let you change priority then you might need to run it as administrator.

Levyne

Banned
I notched the priority up. Seems to be better. I'm iffy about closing anything else. Overall CPU usage is low, never higher than 5%, and often at 1%.

Falk

that puzzling face
Is the game only using certain processors? You could force it to the ones Chrome/whatever aren't using by setting affinity.

Falk

that puzzling face
Someone said the game only uses one CPU core

Well, then that actually makes a lot of sense why it's CPU usage isn't being maxed out then. Definitely worth messing with affinities in Task Manager so it has a CPU core all to itself and seeing if there's any improvement.

Zenaku

I notched the priority up. Seems to be better. I'm iffy about closing anything else. Overall CPU usage is low, never higher than 5%, and often at 1%.

Nice to know you notice it running a bit better; might be worth checking the frametime. I use MSI Afterburner myself, since I use it to overclock my GPU.

What CPU/frequency do you have, by the way? I'm running an i5 2500k OCed to 4.3ghz.

Someone said the game only uses one CPU core

Game seems to use all 4 cores for me, unless I restrict it using affinity setting. It only ever uses 25% max though, whether that's a whole core or parts of several.

I used affinity settings to put a number of processes on 1 core, with the game on the remaining 3, but didn't see a major difference. I then moved all other processes to 2 cores, and ran the game alone on the remaining 2 and got frametimes of 16.6~ms and 60fps. Restricting the game to 1 core gave me frametimes of around 30ms and constant stuttering.

Levyne

Banned
Nice to know you notice it running a bit better; might be worth checking the frametime. I use MSI Afterburner myself, since I use it to overclock my GPU.

What CPU/frequency do you have, by the way? I'm running an i5 2500k OCed to 4.3ghz.

Game seems to use all 4 cores for me, unless I restrict it using affinity setting. It only ever uses 25% max though, whether that's a whole core or parts of several.

I used affinity settings to put a number of processes on 1 core, with the game on the remaining 3, but didn't see a major difference. I then moved all other processes to 2 cores, and ran the game alone on the remaining 2 and got frametimes of 16.6~ms and 60fps. Restricting the game to 1 core gave me frametimes of around 30ms and constant stuttering.

I have a 4770k at 4.4

I never quite understood MSI after burner / on-screen display / rivatuner / d3doverrider. Like a spider webs of connected but separate programs with similar UIs but distinct functionalities. Super messy >_>

Zenaku

I have a 4770k at 4.4

I never quite understood MSI after burner / on-screen display / rivatuner / d3doverrider. Like a spider webs of connected but separate programs with similar UIs but distinct functionalities. Super messy >_>

Can't imagine you having trouble with the CPU then, although I guess it could depend on if you're using GeDoSaTo and at what resolution. 1440 seems to be the limit for me; 2K can hit 60 every now and then, but it constantly gets throttled down to 30, with frametimes fluctuating like mad.

I've only started using MSIAB and RivaTunerSS a few weeks ago, but I find RT's frame limiter to be better than in-game or system based V-Sync, and it definitely reduces stuttering slightly. The UI could be better, but it does a wonderful job.

Ok then. Let's say I rip the PS3 version. I extract the raw H264 feed and convert the audio to something playable on PC (say AC3 or Dolby Digital). Then I combine both into mp4 format then add the WMP header to that. Theoretically the game would accept it or does it check the codec? hmm...If it is possible to hex the game and tell it to play the mp4 format file, since it's somewhat compatible since PS3 PAM was similar. So much stuff to try.

Levyne

Banned
Finally got to the point where I have full control of the party and only a tiny bit away from more crystarium roles for everyone.

Once these giant training wheels come off, this game is actually nothing egregiously offputting, mechanics wise. The fight with the Chapter 9 boss is the first time it really feels like you need to do more than just the first pass selection of "do I go offense or defense at this moment in time." Having to try to select paradigms in a way to smartly chain necessary actions together without much cooldown or to try to time an exact juggle or smite..it's not so bad. It's a wobbly crutch to lean on, but the game does get better after 20 painful hours. Still nothing but hallways, though, gotta get through chapter 10 to get the blinders off in addition to the training wheels.

I just wish you had slightly more control on AI members, though this problem in particular I might be able to adjust somewhere. I stagger an enemy and the swap to 2 commandos to try to juggle it but the the AI commando attacks a completely different, unstaggered unit. Mildly annoying.

Bittercup

Wouldn't it be possible to sniff out where the offsets are read from and change them? (durante pls)
I don't know. It's at least something that I can't do.
If someone else finds a way please let me know. I have all video files from the PS3 version already ripped and prepared.

Ok then. Let's say I rip the PS3 version. I extract the raw H264 feed and convert the audio to something playable on PC (say AC3 or Dolby Digital). Then I combine both into mp4 format then add the WMP header to that. Theoretically the game would accept it or does it check the codec? hmm...If it is possible to hex the game and tell it to play the mp4 format file, since it's somewhat compatible since PS3 PAM was similar. So much stuff to try.
If you replace the files in the wmps with mp4 video files the game simply ignores them, like they are missing.
You would have to modify the game to expect mp4 files and I haven't found where you could do that, if that's possible.

kick51

Banned
Finally got to the point where I have full control of the party and only a tiny bit away from more crystarium roles for everyone.

Once these giant training wheels come off, this game is actually nothing egregiously offputting, mechanics wise. The fight with the Chapter 9 boss is the first time it really feels like you need to do more than just the first pass selection of "do I go offense or defense at this moment in time." Having to try to select paradigms in a way to smartly chain necessary actions together with much cooldown or to try to time an exact juggle or smite..it's not so bad. It's a wobbly crutch to lean on, but the game does get better after 20 painful hours. Still nothing but hallways, though, gotta get through chapter 10 to get the blinders off in addition to the training wheels.

I just wish you had slightly more control on AI members, though this problem in particular I mean be able to adjust somewhere. I stagger an enemy and the swap to 2 commandos to try to juggle it but the the AI commando attacks a completely different, unstaggered unit. Mildly annoying.

It was a step in the right direction, in terms of making Final Fantasy actually strategic and somewhat challenging.

and apparently a lot of people bitched about that, so S-E went back on that and the International version added Easy mode and XIII-2 is so damn easy that it's not even worth playing (haven't played LR yet)

UnrealEck

Never preordering another of their games again and this is seriously going to affect anything I even do buy from them.
What an absolute joke.

TheTux

3 weeks just to add that exit popup in the non-windowed version of the game.

What a joke.

Edit: BTW my patch was 143MB big.

Nethaniah

Almost got excited there for a second, i figured when the message came along in october about this patch that it was already released and that this would be another patch, well, fuck me for thinking this and fuck Square for everything.

Levyne

Banned
Almost got excited there for a second, i figured when the message came along in october about this patch that it was already released and that this would be another patch, well, fuck me for thinking this and fuck Square for everything.

Yeah, I got confused in that way too.

Seanspeed

Banned
Framerate fluctuations, barely runs 30fps over here without any downsampling with a i7-2600k / titan.
I thought I remembered people talking about how it couldn't hit a solid 60fps, but I didn't realize some people were struggling just to get 30fps. Yea, that's an issue.

TheTux

I thought I remembered people talking about how it couldn't hit a solid 60fps, but I didn't realize some people were struggling just to get 30fps. Yea, that's an issue.

Indeed, I can't even get a steady framerate. It doesn't really matter if I run the game at 720p/1080p, it just never uses more than 15% of my CPU/GPU.

Even people with high-end PC have problems in some cases.

TheTux

Let's hope that XIII-2 will be a better port... just one month to wait.

Have they officially announced that it will be released in December?

We guess December because XIII's DiveIn version was (supposed to be) released the same day as the Steam version and XIII-2 is supposed to be released next month on DiveIn.

Is XIII available on DiveIn by the way? We know it was delayed, but is it available now?

Top Bottom