• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII PC |OT| Lightning must not be forgotten

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
That false advertising is more like it... :p
All on purpose, of course :) The thread was originally going to be a joke thread. I was basically done with the entire thing - it was filled with Toriyama pictures and silly pictures of Lightning.

I scrapped the whole thing when I realized how much it would please the haters.

:3

iosefe

All on purpose, of course :) The thread was originally going to be a joke thread. I was basically done with the entire thing - it was filled with Toriyama pictures and silly pictures of Lightning.

still got that first 10/10 courtesy of Toriyama in there though

DJIzana

If we are lucky, maybe Hexadrive worked on this....

Doubt it... and even if they did, you know the old saying... you can't polish a turd.

Hahaha I know. I still find it funny the lengths those people went to. Seriously... atrocious.

You did the right thing. I know how hard it is to pull off an OT and yours is great to look at.

Teletraan1

Banned
Cant wait to play this again even if I had problems with the game upon release. My whole gripe with the game other than the hallway complaints was that they rarely gave you a full party for long stretches of the game. It was always 2 characters. The game didn't actually seem fun to me until the party got to 3 for realsies. I often also dislike forced party members in all jRPGs. I would prefer if they let me roll with the characters I want. But the "story" here dictated who was in your group for far too long in the game.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
You did the right thing. I know how hard it is to pull off an OT and yours is great to look at.
Wow, this means a lot coming from you (you're the God of OTs imo). I love your Windows-threads, they're seriously one of the most stylish things I've ever seen on GAF.

Mesoian

What an overgeneralization.

There is no such thing as an "anime"-style characterization. Even among the big three Shounen series (Naruto, Bleach, One Piece) the way they each handle characterization is completely different from each other, and it gets far more various when you start looking into the more niche titles.

In fact, people should just stop using the word "anime" when they really mean "cartoonish" or "exaggerated". It's just incredibly silly. Every time someone uses it as an adjective I have to roll my eyes and it colors my perception of the rest of their post.

image.php

No seriously though, the only place where you tend to see these sort of archetypes found in FF13 is in anime. It is a very Japanese methodology of defining how a character acts. The only american cartoon I can think of where people act like Rikku or Vaan or Vanielle is the powerpuff girls, it's just not a common archetype here, and it's SUPER jarring if you aren't used to it. So much so that when it takes characters who are supposed to be straight men like Sazh or Snow, they come off as being almost over the top in their respective tropes. I don't think the japanese prospective on Snow is being a gigantic idiotic meathead. I don't think the japanese prospective on Sazh is Super Bernie Mac. But that's how they come across.

And I don't want to say exaggerated because that still requires a frame of reference to compare it to. If I say it's an exaggeration to most north american or european scifi, It greats a parallel that doesn't really work. If I say it's an exaggeration to most japanese scifi, it doesn't work because it's a parallel that's too close.

There's nothing wrong with emulating the general archetypes found in anime, but for the most part, the same people who can't make it through something like Code Gaess are the same people who are going to be bothered with how the characters are handled in FF13.

So yeah, it's fuckin' anime as hell. And like i said early, that's not what hobbles the characterization for me, but I can see how it can be for a lot of people.

wont buy unless there is some new stuff in this game which there is zero hope for?

I wouldn't count on it. Any new content will come from modding and there's a good chance that it'll be so difficult, no one will bother.

heiyu

I was expecting some more demanding specs, hope for a good port so i can dip on pc again (already played in shitty xbox version, 1 year later got ps3 and ffxiii again. Hope this is the defintive version for pc) i love the game

Teremap

Banned
No seriously though, the only place where you tend to see these sort of archetypes found in FF13 is in anime. It is a very Japanese methodology of defining how a character acts.
You... kind of made my point for me right here.

It's Japanese-y. You'll see these character archetypes show up in their live action, comics, light/visual novels, and video games as well, which makes it by definition NOT specific to anime. Hence why I get so annoyed when people use the word 'anime' as an adjective.

It's a pet peeve of mine. No amount of justification or rationalization is going to get me to suddenly accept it, sorry.

RPGCrazied

Still not getting it, think the PS3 version is fine. But do we know what kinda video options this has, other than increasing resolutions?

Doubt it... and even if they did, you know the old saying... you can't polish a turd.

Hahaha I know. I still find it funny the lengths those people went to. Seriously... atrocious.

A lot of sites and reviewers rolled on their reviews. Reviews were misleading man. I bought FFXIII based off of Ryan Clements review on IGN. So misleading.

Yoshichan

Still not getting it, think the PS3 version is fine. But do we know what kinda video options this has, other than increasing resolutions?

Not yet!

Mesoian

You... kind of made my point for me right here.

It's Japanese-y. You'll see these character archetypes show up in their live action, comics, light/visual novels, and video games as well, which makes it by definition NOT specific to anime. Hence why I get so annoyed when people use the word 'anime' as an adjective.

It's a pet peeve of mine. No amount of justification or rationalization is going to get me to suddenly accept it, sorry.

You gotta understand that most people's exposure to that sort of thing is going to be anime. It's mainstream enough where people who don't actively seek it out may still see some here and there through channeling flipping and osmosis. Japanese-y is never going to roll off the tongue. So anime will take it's place for lack of a better descriptor.

UnrealEck

It's likely going to be the same graphically at the highest settings. With the addition of AF and AA.
Plus there'll probably be postprocess mods like sweetfx and enb.

1 year for steam FFXV.

That's overly optimistic. All I am saying is XIII sales will in no way affect a XV PC port. SE sells a lot of things on Steam. They are more than aware of the PC game community. Other FF games do well so they know people are there. XIII selling really well or really poorly will not determine anything in relation to FFXV.

Raitningz

That's overly optimistic. All I am saying is XIII sales will in no way affect a XV PC port.

? It will show Square that there is a market for PC. It was one of their concerns why they didn't release XIII on the PC initially, despite it being developed on the PC.

kick51

Banned
again with the FFXV derailing

your game will have its chance to shine, don't worry

also i just bought this with GMG credit. not sure why lol

Do we know FFXV isn't a PC game ported to consoles? Wasn't that the case with XIII?

Every game is made on PC/Macs. The engine is probably optimized for Next-Gen Consoles though. They can do it and probably will do it. Just don't expect it day and date of the consoles.... Or the same year.

? It will show Square that there is a market for PC. It was one of their concerns why they didn't release XIII on the PC initially, despite it being developed on the PC.

Read post quoted all the way. SE knows the PC community. Other FF's do well on there. Regardless of what XIII does it won't affect FFXV. The only thing this affects is XIII.

again with the FFXV derailing

That's cute.

I was responding to someone who was talking about XV. Not the other way around.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Kagari, are you okay? Post if you're okay.

Edit: Also, I liked both Vanille and Hope. Come at me, haters.

Why would I care about a four year old port of a game I already played and consider to have zero replay value? Why would I care when SE is finally showing games that don't involve these characters. There are other SE games to care about for me now and in the future.

Also, this is a good time to say... quit PC port begging for XV. If SE officially announces it, cool. Until then, stop whining.

Yoshichan

Suddenly, quiet...

:D (Sorry, I just found it funny!)

HeelPower

Yoshiiiiiii

I just realized Vanille's quote is kind of spoilerific...

Oh well /: I guess it could spark some intrigue for first time players.

Yoshichan

Yoshiiiiiii

I just realized Vanille's quote is kind of spoilerific...

Oh well /: I guess it could spark some intrigue for first time players.
You're right, damn it :lol

Screw it, let the confusion and hype sparkle away!

Flandy

I feel like playing through this game. Dear god, what's wrong with me?

I'll gladly take a free copy, Yoshichan :lol

Yoshichan

I feel like playing through this game. Dear god, what's wrong with me?

I'll gladly take a free copy, Yoshichan :lol
All in due time, friend. All in due time :3
Yeah I think that actually makes things more interesting instead of just " a mysterious happy go lucky girl" lol
Haha, yup!

Yoshichan

Can't believe I'm considering taking time off from school when this gets launched... WHRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY YOSHI

I got to disc 3 on the 360 version.

I still have a lot of gameplay left. But the question is, is it worth playing through all that slog to get to where I left off?

Well, at least I can go back and right the wrongs I did on my first playthrough like selling all the upgradeable parts!

Yoshichan

Weekend will be right around the corner when it gets launched DDD:
Thursday and Friday though >.< God, it's gonna be painful being @school while everyone else is playing this. God, that is infuriating :(

DAMN IT, I can't even go into this thread anymore. SO MUCH HYPE.

Yoshichan

is it gonna be more of a contest? if so, i can't draw to save my life
It's not going to be completely random, but it's also not going to be a contest that requires any skills whatsoever!

HeelPower

Thursday and Friday though >.< God, it's gonna be painful being @school while everyone else is playing this. God, that is infuriating :(

well I have midterms right before it...(luckily not during launch)

Torturous wait D:

I still have a lot of gameplay left. But the question is, is it worth playing through all that slog to get to where I left off?

Well, at least I can go back and right the wrongs I did on my first playthrough like selling all the upgradeable parts!
Do it, now you can play together with the rest of us who are replaying it or playing it for the first time.

Me too, with my current connection I won't be playing this at least until the weekend.

Oh well, if anything I'll rush through the first chapter or so to keep up with everyone else.

I got to the boss right after the huge open field part. Not sure how far along that is

Top Bottom