• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII PC |OT| Lightning must not be forgotten

Orayn

What makes it possible for Durante to fix certain games, but not others?

I hope FFXIII falls in to the former camp.

DSFix and DPFix were built around intercepting and changing DX9 function calls that pertain to resolution, so it depends on the version of DirectX is being used and how the game's renderer is set up. It also depends on whether or not Durante wants to play the game and feels like devoting the effort to getting the game running at a higher res. :p

(GeDoSaTo is a bit different and is more about adding downsampling and other tweaks to games that already support arbitrary resolutions.)

Tain

lol, wait, wait, wait

you're telling me motherfuckers put in the work to make it run at 60fps but not at arbitrary resolutions?

lol shit, maybe this is like the Revengeance UI situation times 100.

Kanokare

For the most part, SE probably never had the PC in mind so it was pretty much a direct port. It's good enough that we got 60fps which I feel is more important than 1080p. Both would be great of course. For future projects (KH and FF) I hope they see that we're willing to buy their products on the PC so they have us in mind during development rather than an afterthought .

I'm just an optimistic as fuck guy and look at the brighter side of things :D

impact

Banned
This is me right now:

Ive_Made_a_Huge_Mistake.jpg

To add insult to the injury, I bought the game on Nuveem and they are apparently out of keys right now so I'll have to wait to check this mess.

I'm glad you guys are now feeling the regret that I felt 4 years ago.

I warned you not to buy

kiyomi

I just Alt+Tabbed out of the game to look at my desktop, screen goes black, can't tab back into the game.

Had to restart my PC.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Thanks.

Since the game isn't native 1080p does that mean Square haven't touched up the textures, like they have done with other remasters? Or is that neither here nor there when it comes to the resolution they've locked the game to?

Also to those who are playing and have extensive experience with the console games, how good does the fps increase look and can you notice anything else that has been improved?

Its just a port, they didn't touch anything up besides 60fps in game.

If you want higher resolutions in game, Durante better find a way to unlock the resolution at certain times or touch up FMV's FFX HD style, cause otherwise the game is gonna turn to shit every so often real quick in 1080p, macroblocking up the ass.

That terrible hair dithering i'm seeing in screenshots, is already very nostalgic from playing the 360 version...

720p is pretty bad but at least they let you use some good texture filtering right...?

Oh god... oh god why? This thread is going to turn against Yoshichan isn't it?

I can't believe how horrendous the performance is. I've got an i5 2500K at 4.2GHz and a GTX780, and while it's a relatively smooth 60fps in the field, it fluctuates wildly between 30-60 in battles, and any sort of full-screen effect reduces it massively (the screen dimming during the tutorial slows it down to 30fps).

With the complete absence of any video configuration settings, surely that's no good for their streaming service? Wouldn't they need it to be efficient?

MayMay

Banned
Oh, so this is a meltdown thread? =P

Hahaha, well, it'll be a couple of days before my download finishes, so by the time I'm starting the playthrough this will be mostly over.

Mine's done updating and the game is playing. :D

I'm a little bit disappointed in the graphics, Square Enix shouldn't have done nicer. But I'll play a little bit of it anyway. I'm sure something will work out.

It would be really nice of Durante to find a way to have graphics options. And you could tell Square Enix on their forums about wanting more graphics things.

For the most part, SE probably never had the PC in mind so it was pretty much a direct port. It's good enough that we got 60fps which I feel is more important than 1080p. Both would be great of course. For future projects (KH and FF) I hope they see that we're willing to buy their products on the PC so they have us in mind during development rather than an afterthought .

I'm just an optimistic as fuck guy and look at the brighter side of things :D

I'm glad for the unlocked framerate only because there will be tools to fix the resolution, it's much harder to uncouple locked frame rates.

Shin-Ra

No, 30 fps during cutscenes, but the pause screen is 60fps so the framerates jump. I'm 60fps locked during a battle with a GTX660 (well it is 720p only).

Also no xbox controller icons.
Full-screen menus were 60fps on PS3 too, which was nice because the in-game XMB would perform a lot better with the game at 60 underneath.

You guys, you guys!

bink2w32.dll in game exe directory

How painful is the macroblocking during cutscenes?
As bad as the X360 version? Or worse?
Bink video too? You are truly blessed.

Toth

720p is pretty bad but at least they let you use some good texture filtering right...?

Oh god... oh god why? This thread is going to turn against Yoshichan isn't it?

Modders and maybe SE will patch these in quickly. It's petty to attack the guy for a port that at least has some big possibilities at modding.

Its just a port, they didn't touch anything up besides 60fps in game.

If you want higher resolutions in game, Durante better find a way to unlock the resolution at certain times or touch up FMV's FFX HD style, cause otherwise the game is gonna turn to shit every so often real quick in 1080p, macroblocking up the ass.

That terrible hair dithering i'm seeing in screenshots, is already very nostalgic from playing the 360 version...

Darn it, all much ado about nothing then. I was going to wait on replaying the game until I got a gaming PC or if it came to PS4, but it doesn't sound like it's worth it.

I suppose it's my own fault. They didn't market it as a remaster or definitive edition in anyway.

DSFix and DPFix were built around intercepting and changing DX9 function calls that pertain to resolution, so it depends on the version of DirectX is being used and how the game's renderer is set up. It also depends on whether or not Durante wants to play the game and feels like devoting the effort to getting the game running at a higher res. :p

(GeDoSaTo is a bit different and is more about adding downsampling and other tweaks to games that already support arbitrary resolutions.)

Thanks. Sounds like it'll be black or white as to whether it is possible.

Time, mostly. The effort required to do something like this varies massively with how the game was written.

I really can't say if this would be a 2-days-fix or a 2-years-fix (and thus, in practice, no fix at all) or anything in between until I get at least 2 hours to look at what it does. And yes, I like using the number 2 if I need an arbitrary quantity :p

I'm still unpacking for 25 minutes, so I'll have a shower now and then I'll have a look.

Let me sift past all of the usual "SAVE US BASED DURANTE" "WORK YOUR MAGIC" "DURANTE TO THE RESCUEEEE" and just say genuinely from my heart, thank you for actually caring about and working to help your fellow gamers. I wish people who were actually paid for this kind of thing gave as much a crap as you do.

MayMay

Banned
Full-screen menus were 60fps on PS3 too, which was nice because the in-game XMB would perform a lot better with the game at 60 underneath.

Bink video too? You are truly blessed.

The files are way bigger than on Xbox, and apparently there are no compression artifacts - so I guess its alright.

Araris

Neo Member
The game was $15, hardly a massive crime all things considered.

Also to Nvidia users, please make sure to force "maximum performance" in your Control Panel for Power Management Options. I was getting 30-60fps spikes everywhere until I noticed my GTX 780 was sitting at 450Mhz (1100Mhz normally) clock speed. The GPU sits at 45C as well so this game is hardly that taxing, just make sure to force that and some AF from the control panel as well (looks a lot better).

The_Monk

I'm in Full Screen mode but the game does not take all the image in my Monitor. This happened me with Sleeping Dogs but Alt + Enter fix the issue. Not with this game, however.

Anyone with any similar issue?

With the complete absence of any video configuration settings, surely that's no good for their streaming service? Wouldn't they need it to be efficient?

Why would they? It's the final image that is compressed and can vary, the source video isn't going to matter from an efficiency stand point.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
forcing AA in driver and playing in window mode works

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Regarding custcenes: compression is good, probably a new encode.
Weird frame dips were there in the original versions a well.

Top Bottom