• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII SE Xbox 360 Console Bundle

ZeoVGM

Banned
Baki said:
Not worth it.

This is not how you do bundles. $100 extra = only a $20 discount.

You're forgetting the hard drive, which is $130 separately for half the space. Overpriced as it is, this is more than a $20 discount.

PS: 250GB HDD, who gives a s***. Extra controller + game = only $20 savings. Thats a pretty s***y deal especially since MS can easily sell elites for $250.

You not giving a shit (why are you censoring that, by the way?) doesn't make it not exist. A 120 GB hard drive for 360 is $130. You're getting a little over double that.

Yes, it's overpriced. That doesn't make change the amount you're saving.

Baki

omg rite said:
You're forgetting the hard drive, which is $130 separately for half the space. Overpriced as it is, this is more than a $20 discount.

I doubt people (especially those would buy FFXIII) care about 250GB over 120GB. Simply because 120GB is already pretty big for the average consumer.

omg rite said:

You not giving a shit (why are you censoring that, by the way?) doesn't make it not exist. A 120 GB hard drive for 360 is $130. You're getting a little over double that.

Yes, it's overpriced. That doesn't make change the amount you're saving.

I get your point. But the average consumer won't consider that. I really think MS can do a better bundle than this and I think they are jaded if they think this will pull in consumers especially if its the same price as the PS3 bundle.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Dra-Q said:
Final Fantasy belongs to the Xbox 360, great bundle.
w9a5v5.jpg

Am I doing it right?

Baki said:
But my point is, for someone who has no strong preference. The PS3 will offer them one disk, built in Wifi (and free online gaming and blu-ray if they care).

Well, if Sony does offer a similar bundle at a similar price, then yes, it would be a better deal for people who have no clear preference. At the same time, Sony would be losing more money on it than Microsoft.

Baki said:
I doubt people (especially those would buy FFXIII) care about 250GB over 120GB. Simply because 120GB is already pretty big for the average consumer.

Likewise, I doubt the average consumer would care about the difference between the game on one Blu-ray disc and 3 DVDs.

Baki

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Well, if Sony does offer a similar bundle at a similar price, then yes, it would be a better deal for people who have no clear preference. At the same time, Sony would be losing more money on it than Microsoft.

Likewise, I doubt the average consumer would care about the difference between the game on one Blu-ray disc and 3 DVDs.

I doubt Sony would lose money at $400. Lop off $60 and the PS3 goes for $340. Not a big deal for Sony.

Baki said:
I doubt Sony would lose money at $400. Lop off $60 and the PS3 goes for $340. Not a big deal for Sony.

On average, Sony is still losing $18 on every PS3 sold. Their 250 GB SKU is currently going for $350 and probably still selling at a loss. So how would a similar SKU at $340 and with an extra controller not be losing money?

Baki

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
On average, Sony is still losing $18 on every PS3 sold. Their 250 GB SKU is currently going for $350 and probably still selling at a loss. So how would a similar SKU at $340 and with an extra controller not be losing money?

I doubt they'd introduce the 250GB SKU if they were losing money on it. Methinks thats the SKU they make money out of.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
REMEMBER CITADEL said:

PS3 250 GB with custom paint job (same one as Japan or maybe black and with silver etching)
Final Fantasy XIII
Extra Controller
Voucher for PSN downloads of Final Fantasy VII and VIII.

$450?

Would people bite?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Kintaro said:
PS3 250 GB with custom paint job (same one as Japan or maybe black and with silver etching)
Final Fantasy XIII
Extra Controller

$450?

Would people bite?
I'd be interested, if it's the white/pink combo Japan. So far the 360 bundle just seems like a re-purposed elite from the description, and it hardly seems like something I'd need to have as a Final Fantasy fan. I already have a 360 so why would I want another that has nothing special about it?

Baki said:
I doubt they'd introduce the 250GB SKU if they were losing money on it. Methinks thats the SKU they make money out of.

If they're making money on that one, that means they're losing quite a bit on the 120 GB SKU (since the average loss is $18). I just don't see it. I'd say it's more probable that the 250 GB SKU is losing less money, but still losing some. And again, that extra controller adds a bit to the overall cost.

Or are you suggesting that Microsoft would be losing more money (or making less) on a similar bundle when we know that Xbox 360 hardware has been profitable for a while now?

Kintaro said:
Final Fantasy XIII
Extra Controller

$450?

Would people bite?

Possibly, but that's all speculation at this point. We don't even know what exactly will be included in the Xbox 360 bundle, let alone whether there would be a similar offer from Sony.

Ponn

Banned
Kagari said:
GameInformer thinks there will be a Splinter Cell bundle too.

See, now that is a game that makes sense in this kind of bundle. Actually I was looking at the release schedule and the week before FFXIII comes out Bad Company 2 comes out. That is also a game that would make sense in this type of bundle (not to mention BC2 actually has a LE version of the game for NA release...grrrrrrr).

People are arguing the value of the bundle and I don't think thats the part that people are shaking their heads at, I know i'm not. It's the context of the bundle with this particular game that doesn't make sense. Especially when you have two other games bookending FFXIII that would fit much better into this bundle. Some parent is going to get sold this bundle by a no-nothing clerk saying "oh it has a pretty looking game and it has two controllers so it must be two players. Perfect for your kids" and the moms going to take this home and the one kid is going to be sitting there complaining all he is doing is walking around and watching alot of cut scenes and the other kid is going to be sitting there holding the second controller saying when do I get to play against you with a sad face.

Ponn01 said:
Some parent is going to get sold this bundle by a no-nothing clerk saying "oh it has a pretty looking game and it has two controllers so it must be two players. Perfect for your kids" and the moms going to take this home and the one kid is going to be sitting there complaining all he is doing is walking around and watching alot of cut scenes and the other kid is going to be sitting there holding the second controller saying when do I get to play against you with a sad face.

I could potentially see the controller thing happening (although I don't think the inclusion of an extra controller with a single player game is much of an issue; unless FFXIII is the only game you ever intend to play), but isn't FFXIII a T rated game? Can you really blame SE or Microsoft for such a touching convergence of parents' and store clerks' stupidity? :)

Ponn

Banned
REMEMBER CITADEL said:
I could potentially see the controller thing happening (although I don't think the inclusion of an extra controller with a single player game is much of an issue; unless FFXIII is the only game you ever intend to play), but isn't FFXIII a T rated game? Can you really blame SE or Microsoft for such a touching convergence of parents' and store clerks' stupidity? :)

Modern Warfare 2 had a nice bundle over the holiday which was basically this

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Possibly, but that's all speculation at this point. We don't even know what exactly will be included in the Xbox 360 bundle, let alone whether there would be a similar offer from Sony.

I'm just playing along. :D

I thought the whole point of the FF console bundles was to get a special edition of the game along with a custom engraved console. Not to get a stock console with a stock copy of the game while paying $40 extra for an extra controller and more storage space.

Even if that is technically a "good deal" as per Microsofts pricing, the FF fanboys who buy into this stuff are looking for FF branded merchandise and other FF-related goods that they can wank over. They aren't looking to save money.

I'm still pretty sure this is just a placeholder and the real bundle will have a custom paint job, but if this is it, then I don't see this being a big seller. The casual player is more likely to pick up a $199 or $299 360 and a copy of the game separately and will put the extra $140 or $40 into something else.

surly

Banned
fernoca said:
Yeah..I sometimes wonder if the people compaining about disc swapping, have played games that recquire it. They complain as if you need to swap discs every 5 minutes or something.

Even on Mass Effect 2, which i loved..and they handled it..in a questionable way.. :p ..it was 2 times..in 27 hours it took me to play the game..not like I needed to swap discs every time I needed to vist a planet. Final Fantasy XIII will be the same amount of swaps, around the same hours..and has 1 more disc.
Why can't MS change the install feature so that you can install all of the discs from a multi-disc game, but only disc 1 needs to be in the drive to play through the entire game? I agree that swapping discs really isn't a big deal as the most swaps you'll do with any game is 3 and that's spread out over hours and hours of gameplay, but I don't see why they make you swap the disc when the game is installed.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
surly said:
Why can't MS change the install feature so that you can install all of the discs from a multi-disc game, but only disc 1 needs to be in the drive to play through the entire game? I agree that swapping discs really isn't a big deal as the most swaps you'll do with any game is 3 and that's spread out over hours and hours of gameplay, but I don't see why they make you swap the disc when the game is installed.
I think that'd be up to the developer of the game to set up an install option that works that way.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Kintaro said:
Final Fantasy XIII
Extra Controller

$450?

Would people bite?

why would they include an extra controller for a single player game bundle

fernoca

surly said:
Is not on Microsoft's side.
Developers can do it (see Forza 3) on which you're given the option to install the second disc before starting the game, granted it basically installs tracks and cars; but still the option is there.

Each discs has it's own "ID", which is why in the 'Install to HDD' option on the 360 you can't run multiple discs games from just one single, that will open loopholes and possible exploits, for people to install games, return them and run them from any single disc (and/or even claim that it was missing the first disc).

Jrmint

Dra-Q said:
Final Fantasy belongs to the Xbox 360
What does this sentence even mean?

Pretty lame bundle if there is no engraving or anything on the side of the 360. But I am sure it's fine if you don't own a 360 currently.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Including a play in charge kit with a supposedly long game would be a better idea for this bundle. I sure would have liked it during Vesperia.

surly

Banned
fernoca said:
Each discs has it's own "ID", which is why in the 'Install to HDD' option on the 360 you can't run multiple discs games from just one single, that will open loopholes and possible exploits, for people to install games, return them and run them from any single disc (and/or even claim that it was missing the first disc).
I think that's a pretty weak excuse though. If someone wants to play games for free on a 360, they already can. I really couldn't see many people buying or renting a game, then returning it and claiming that the first disc was missing from the case. They could just buy a 1 disc game now and then take that back and claim that there was no disc inside. I don't think a store is going to fall for either of those excuses.

matmanx1

I might be interested in this if the actual 360 itself ends up looking good. I have the Lightning Edition PS3 already so it would be something of a double dose of nerdiness to have both of the special edition FF13 consoles under my TV.

And about that faceplate: I don't mind the picture at all but the vertical orientation is a terrible, terrible way to present the art. I would never run a 360 in the vertical position (prone to disc scratching if it gets any sort of vibration at all!) so I'd always be looking at the picture sideways. That's just pure fail compared to the art on the Lightning Edition PS3. =(

I also wonder if this means the PS3 will be getting a bundle for FF13 in NA? Somehow I don't think it will. Has SCEA ever given us a cool PS3 bundle for a game that wasnt just a larger HDD and a standard copy of Uncharted thrown in?

Or you and 2 friends could split a FF13 game. Install it on each system and each take one disc. They lose 2 sales that way so it doesnt make sense.

surly

Banned
Leviathin25 said:
Or you and 2 friends could split a FF13 game. Install it on each system and each take one disc. They lose 2 sales that way so it doesnt make sense.
No, because you'd need disc 1 in the drive to play it and only 1 of you can have that at any one time. At worst, you could both install it in full and pass disc 1 back and forth, but that's hardly any different to installing it and passing all of the discs back and forth. Obviously if you could use any disc to authenticate and play the whole game, then what you're saying would happen, but I'm saying that they should use disc 1 as authentication to enable you to play through the entire installed game.

fernoca

surly said:
I think that's a pretty weak excuse though. If someone wants to play games for free on a 360, they already can. I really couldn't see many people buying or renting a game, then returning it and claiming that the first disc was missing from the case. They could just buy a 1 disc game now and then take that back and claim that there was no disc inside. I don't think a store is going to fall for either of those excuses.
Oh they do..some people are just..lucky I guess. That's why many retailers are enforcing and changing their return policies. Like back when Wal-mart, Sam's and Costco were selling Xbox 360s, but never scanned the serial numbers, so people went, bought Xbox 360s, swapped their broken units with the new one, took the box to the store, claimed it didnt' worked and they wanted their money back and there..new Xbox, for free.

Now at least most scan the serial number. ..:p ..but the disc thing it seems it can be done, it just depends on the developers..apparently.

surly

Banned
fernoca said:
Oh they do..some people are just..lucky I guess. That's why many retailers are enforcing and changing their return policies. Like back when Wal-mart, Sam's and Costco were selling Xbox 360s, but never scanned the serial numbers, so people went, bought Xbox 360s, swapped their broken units with the new one, took the box to the store, claimed it didnt' worked and they wanted their money back and there..new Xbox, for free.

Now at least most scan the serial number. ..:p ..but the disc thing it seems it can be done, it just depends on the developers..apparently.
True, things like that happen all the time. The point I was trying to make is that I can't see how the revised install system would make things any worse than they are now. If the current install system allows for that to happen, I don't see why any devs haven't taken advantage of it. Forza is different because you've basically got the equivalent of DLC packs on a disc. The same with the GOTY edition of Fallout 3, but it's even worse in that case because someone that only owns the regular edition can borrow disc 2 off a mate, install the DLC, then give it back. I can't see any downsides for devs/MS to using 1 disc to authenticate the game throughout.

That's a good deal but doesn't everyone already own a 360? Wouldn't it be better to bundle with a PS3 since not everyone has it?

Shadow Red said:
That's a good deal but doesn't everyone already own a 360? Wouldn't it be better to bundle with a PS3 since not everyone has it?

Yeah because thats what companies do, just stop selling when they think they've "sold enough". Time to stop production of the Wii, Nintendo.

H_Prestige said:
I thought the whole point of the FF console bundles was to get a special edition of the game along with a custom engraved console. Not to get a stock console with a stock copy of the game while paying $40 extra for an extra controller and more storage space.

IMO, this should be the point of every console bundle that has to do with a high profile release game but some companies get lazy and put in stock systems and stock games. Look at how well the MGS4 bundle did with the stock system and stock game. When those things sell, it gives others less incentive to do something special. There was the Gun Metal system but that was a super shitty deal in comparison to the stock system.

Then there is the craziness of the Halo3 system where it didn't even come with the game!!! What idiot marketing monkey came up with this idea? IMO there should be no special bundles that don't have a special console and the LE edition of the game included. Other than that, the only thing special you are getting is the art on the box it comes with.

Dr. Light

Kyoufu said:
You can import the CE from Europe.

FinalFantasyXIIICollector%27sEditionPS3.jpg

That's an option, I could get raped in the ass on Ebay by importing this already expensive CE from the other side of the fucking world. OR Square could get off their asses and annouce the NA CE already.

I refuse to believe SE is so stupid as to give the larger NA market the finger. Are they allergic to money?

Kyoufu

Dr. Light said:
That's an option, I could get raped in the ass on Ebay by importing this already expensive CE from the other side of the fucking world. OR Square could get off their asses and annouce the NA CE already.

I refuse to believe SE is so stupid as to give the larger NA market the finger. Are they allergic to money?

This wouldn't be the first time. If I'm not mistaken, the EU version of FFXII had a Limited Edition whilst the NA version did not.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Kyoufu said:
This wouldn't be the first time. If I'm not mistaken, the EU version of FFXII had a Limited Edition whilst the NA version did not.
It's the opposite I think. I've seen steel cased FFXII copies at GameStop.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Kyoufu said:

Nah, we did but it was limited to one retailer. Better examples of EU getting some recent Square games as CEs while the US did not: Crisis Core, Dissidia Final Fantasy, Star Ocean 4.

pr0cs

Wow, they sure put a lot of effort into this bundle..
No different packaging on the console itself, no faceplace, custom console color, controller design.. nada.
Nothing different than buying the game on its own.

I can't really see this bundle selling all that well. I don't really see the game itself selling all that well either, not on the 360 anyway. Have any jRPG sold well on the 360, I don't know anyone on my friends list pining for this game.

Top Bottom