• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII SE Xbox 360 Console Bundle

Acosta

Dr. Light said:
That's an option, I could get raped in the ass on Ebay by importing this already expensive CE from the other side of the fucking world. OR Square could get off their asses and annouce the NA CE already.

I refuse to believe SE is so stupid as to give the larger NA market the finger. Are they allergic to money?

Europe it's a bigger market for FF.

Kyoufu

Kagari said:
Nah, we did but it was limited to one retailer. Better examples of EU getting some recent Square games as CEs while the US did not: Crisis Core, Dissidia Final Fantasy, Star Ocean 4.

Oh, my mistake then.

Hex

Banned
Kyoufu said:
This wouldn't be the first time. If I'm not mistaken, the EU version of FFXII had a Limited Edition whilst the NA version did not.

US has an ok collector's edition in a steelbook case.
Edit: BEaten

Dr. Light

Kyoufu said:
This wouldn't be the first time. If I'm not mistaken, the EU version of FFXII had a Limited Edition whilst the NA version did not.

Pretty sure I own the NA FFXII collector's edition. I'll check again.

Yup, I do.

Europe it's a bigger market for FF.

I doubt it. You think sending this shit everywhere from Iceland to New Zealand but NOT the US makes sense? Does Square want my goddamn money or not?

GKANG

Banned
Fyrus said:
Instead of getting an Elite to replace my dying 360 I'm going to buy this now. The only thing bothering me about it is that it has FF13 bundled :lol Was gonna get the PS3 version...

I don't get it. The elite is better than this bundled console (even though you get a 120GB with the Elite.) Not sure if they're discontinued now, but my friend's 360 doesn't even support a HDMI cable, so if you're not getting one with this bundle maybe it doesn't support them either. Don't know though.

pr0cs said:
Have any jRPG sold well on the 360, I don't know anyone on my friends list pining for this game.
No JRPGs have sold "well" this gen outside of Japan on the HD twins. Well, Lost Odyssey made an appearance in a few Euro charts for a while (and did 200k in its first NPD) but that's about it.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Psychotext said:
No JRPGs have sold "well" this gen outside of Japan on the HD twins. Well, Lost Odyssey made an appearance in a few Euro charts for a while (and did 200k in its first NPD) but that's about it.

Demon's Souls.

Kagari said:
Demon's Souls.
I was impressed it showed up, but I don't consider 150k to be selling "well". I guess that comes down to your personal expectations though. I only really mentioned Lost Odyssey because of it's initial PAL performance.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Psychotext said:
I was impressed it showed up, but I don't consider 150k to be selling "well".

Game is well over 250K in the US, could be close to 300K now? stump has the numbers iirc. Plus 150K+ in Japan. Hasn't been released in Europe yet, but it's definitely one of the top selling JRPGs in the west for this generation so far.

pr0cs

Psychotext said:
I was impressed it showed up, but I don't consider 150k to be selling "well". I guess that comes down to your personal expectations though.
I haven't played it but everything I've seen suggests to me that it's pretty far from what most people would call jRPG.
Seems to me to be closer to a western rpg than a turned based jrpg.
Even then you'd have to be crazy to assume that it needed to have a 'bundle' created around it.

Kagari said:
Game is well over 250K in the US, could be close to 300K now? stump has the numbers iirc. Plus 150K+ in Japan. Hasn't been released in Europe yet, but it's definitely one of the top selling JRPGs in the west for this generation so far.
But again... I still personally wouldn't define it as selling "well". Nor would I Lost Odyssey on the whole.

(Plus as pr0cs says, it's more WRPG than JRPG)

If 500k worldwide sales is the definition of selling well, then I concede. Both Lost Odyssey and Demon's Souls sold well. :)

PSGames

Lost Odyssey was the best selling JRPG (before FFXIII) with over 800k worldwide. So Square should atleast get 1 million out of a 360 version but I would guess it doing over double that.

I'm actually kind of interested in this bundle for a few reasons.

One, I haven't played a main Final Fantasy game since the PSX days. Got into FF7 really heavily. Loathed 8. Played a bit of 9. Enjoyed Materia. Hated draw. Loved job classes in 9. The battle mechanics and overall design of XIII have me interested in a Final Fantasy game again. That's kind of a big deal, considering I skipped the last three full FF games.

Two, my 360 is old. Like, really old by 360 standards. It's a 20 gig model without HDMI. I think this one was made in 2007, if not earlier. It's sounding like a jet engine now. I've had freezing in a few different games lately. HDD access speed is starting to get chunky. So I've been thinking I might want to upgrade, and keep this one for emergencies.

Three, as much as I'd only really need 60 or 120 gigs...the 250 gig guarantees I'll never, ever, ever have space problems. Which I'd definitely appreciate.

Four, more controllers is never a bad thing. Hell, most of my controllers are getting worn down.

So...this bundle actually does have a place. It's for people like me. You know, the people who hold onto a system until it's just about dead. lol

PSGames

The Blue Jihad said:
I'm actually kind of interested in this bundle for a few reasons.

One, I haven't played a main Final Fantasy game since the PSX days. Got into FF7 really heavily. Loathed 8. Played a bit of 9. Enjoyed Materia. Hated draw. Loved job classes in 9. The battle mechanics and overall design of XIII have me interested in a Final Fantasy game again. That's kind of a big deal, considering I skipped the last three full FF games.

Two, my 360 is old. Like, really old by 360 standards. It's a 20 gig model without HDMI. I think this one was made in 2007, if not earlier. It's sounding like a jet engine now. I've had freezing in a few different games lately. HDD access speed is starting to get chunky. So I've been thinking I might want to upgrade, and keep this one for emergencies.

Three, as much as I'd only really need 60 or 120 gigs...the 250 gig guarantees I'll never, ever, ever have space problems. Which I'd definitely appreciate.

Four, more controllers is never a bad thing. Hell, most of my controllers are getting worn down.

So...this bundle actually does have a place. It's for people like me. You know, the people who hold onto a system until it's just about dead. lol

This bundle has cool boxart and all but honestly if you're looking to upgrade your 360 I would wait til the inevitable 'Natal+360 slim' bundles later in the year.

Dr. Light

InfiniteNine said:
Oh very nice, do they charge right away for pre-orders? I just want to know since it doesn't seem to be listed in the help section, if they charge upon shipping I'll place my order now.

You should at least wait a little while to give them a chance to annouce a NA CE. We still have a month to go.

Shadow780

InfiniteNine said:
Oh very nice, do they charge right away for pre-orders? I just want to know since it doesn't seem to be listed in the help section, if they charge upon shipping I'll place my order now.

I pre-ordered the GoW Ultimate Trilogy edition from them last week, haven't showed up on my CC account, so I guess they charge upon shipment.

pr0cs

PSGames said:
This bundle has cool boxart and all but honestly if you're looking to upgrade your 360 I would wait til the inevitable 'Natal+360 slim' bundles later in the year.
Does anyone actually think Microsoft will do a slim version? I doubt it considering how long and how invested they are in the current design.

pr0cs said:
Does anyone actually think Microsoft will do a slim version? I doubt it considering how long and how invested they are in the current design.
Combined GPU & CPU on a single chip seems like the perfect time to redesign the motherboard, and from there on the casing. So why not. Plus it looks like they want to do that whole "Natal relaunch" thing.

Let's see...

I want FFXIII. So 400 - 60 = 340. HDD to me is worth 150 (price of stand alone 120 GB) = 190. New controllers are 50, so I'd need to flip my old 360 and the HDD for 140 in order, making the entire upgrade (new hardware, 250 gigs, new controllers) about 150 investment. If I can flip my old 360 and 60 GB HD for 150 then this is a worthy upgrade for me.

So in other words, this isn't a bad idea for those looking to upgrade their kit, and want FFXIII.

Shadow Red said:
That's a good deal but doesn't everyone already own a 360? Wouldn't it be better to bundle with a PS3 since not everyone has it?

yes, EVERYONE already owns a 360. so truly, this bundle makes no sense!!

pr0cs

Psychotext said:
Combined GPU & CPU on a single chip seems like the perfect time to redesign the motherboard, and from there on the casing. So why not. Plus it looks like they want to do that whole "Natal relaunch" thing.
I think they'll want to see how natal does before they invest in the engineering to make a new case. I expect they'll milk natal for a year or so, if it does they'll announce the 720 with full natal support and totally new hardware. IMO the 360 is nearing the end of it's lifespan.

Banned
pr0cs said:

After seeing how many people double dipped with the PS3 slim I think it would be a smart move on Microsoft`s part. That said I still dont understand why anyone would buy a console they already own just because it was thinner but it was happening.

pr0cs said:

I will be very surprised if there isn't a slim version to coincide with Natal.

Jeels

I didn't know the US had a population of less then twenty two million. =P I guess everyone does have a 360.

PSGames said:

Normally I would wait, but I don't know if my 360 is going to last that long. lol. I've been stupidly lucky so far. Not confident my luck will hold out.

Plus, even though I'd expect some sort of Natal bundle down the road, I've never been an early adopter. And I fully expect there to be a lot of launch day issues with Natal. Despite how excited I am for it, it makes far more sense to wait it out a bit after launch. Let all those weird bugs get ironed out first. heh

Then again, I could argue that it's a waste to even consider this FFXIII bundle, because there are cheaper ways to upgrade my 360.

I don't know. In a lot of ways, the XIII bundle is probably my best bet. It's guaranteed to be the newest hardware iteration. It'll have the HDD space to where I'd never need to delete games and could keep more than two installed retail games at a time. Plus, I'd get to play Final Fantasy on a shiny new console.

Hrm. Ugh. Decisions.

pr0cs said:

I'm pretty sure they'll do a redesigned version. Whether it will be any slimmer than the current model is another matter entirely.

Valhalla revision of the motherboard (the one with unified CPU/GPU) is next on the roadmap (and already a little behind the schedule, but so was Jasper). It's a great opportunity to redesign the outside of the console as well.

Also, if they ever announce a SKU with built-in Wi-Fi, I think we'll see many people double dipping.

MightyHedgehog said:
No, I don't think PS3 has ever officially come with HDMI or even component included, while component (HD capable)/composite (SD) hybrid cables did come included with the X360 Pro SKU and above for the first few years. Since the change, no system comes with HD-capable cables included, so singling out the X360 seems a bit suspect when it was the only one of the three this gen that did at one time.

HDMI and component cables sold separately is a concession to retailers (for accessory sales) and the fact that half or more of the addressable market is still on SD or older, pre-HDMI ED/HD sets.

Pehaps this is a discussion for another time, but how many fucking concessions are they making to retail? Everytime I turn around, something else is coming out about how console and game manufacturers are caving to pressure from retailers. Price matching on digital titles, only getting 2 weeks to prove their worth, Used titles being pushed in front of new ones. It's kinda BS

RPGCrazied

Hows this a special edition? :( It just lightning slapped on a cardboard box, just like the NA cover.

Maybe they will announce a proper CE at this x10 event.. is it tomorrow?

...or its a bust

Mandoric

Banned
Str0ngStyle said:
Pehaps this is a discussion for another time, but how many fucking concessions are they making to retail? Everytime I turn around, something else is coming out about how console and game manufacturers are caving to pressure from retailers. Price matching on digital titles, only getting 2 weeks to prove their worth, Used titles being pushed in front of new ones. It's kinda BS

Retail needs a lot of concessions to stay happy with a 10%-15% margin on software--which may or may not be returnable if it doesn't sell--and a 3% to negative margin on hardware.

Alternatively, we could have $100 games like everywhere else in the world.

R-User!

TINFOIL HAT TIME! 0_0

So did Microsoft/Square-Enix/Both of them sort of, (for the time being) fuck over the U.S. Final Fantasy fan-base out of a LE/CE/SE by agreeing (assuming S-E did) with MSoft to not create an LE for the U.S. market in exchange for a Console Exclusive 360 bundle?

Microsoft wins by having the bundle to drive systems, and Square-Enix wins by being "allowed" to go multi-platform.

PS3 and 360 owners lose out on a LE/CE/SE.

Non-HD console owners win cuz they can "jump in" with a "great valued" bundle.

I own Wii/PS3/360 but would have liked to get a PS3 Limited Edition being that I am a FAN of Final FANtasy...

/tinfoil hat.

R-User!

Psychotext said:
Just 360. PS3 owners could import the European SE.
Yes... Or we could be catered to like Europe by being offered a 100,000 print run (or 50,000) numbered limited edition, right?

R-User!

Metalic Sand said:
A meaningful reply that greatly contributes to this thread...

Yea...

Seriously... I'm curious about what peoples thoughts/ideas about WHY S-E would take the approach that they're taking in regards to the U.S. Market.

You have any fully fleshed-out thoughts on this matter?

imtehman

Banned
Dabanton said:
Do you ever have anything positive to say? Every post i've seen from you this week has been just you bitching about something usually MS related.

i'll say something positive when there's something positive to say.

THE LEAST THEY COULD DO is at least have a design on the console, you know, like the jp ps3 version or the MW2 version.

HECK, RE5's came in red!

but a white console (stock) with 2 controllers(clearing inventory, plus i already have like 6 controllers since they break so easily) 250gb hard drive (i have an elite, do not need) and the actual game (which i do want) and they call this a special edition?

this might be great for someone who wants ffxiii and doesn't own a 360 and want to finally jump in or for someoen who doesn't own either a 360 or ps3.

but for me, who would at least want to spend some cash on one of my favorite franchises to commemorate a launching of a game that comes every 5 years, has to settle for a hardback strategy guide.

shitty bundle is shitty.

Talon

imtehman said:
but a white console (stock) with 2 controllers(clearing inventory, plus i already have like 6 controllers since they break so easily)
What the hell are you doing with your controllers?

Top Bottom