• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadRNG

So, it's not a class I'm going to be using often, but here goes.

Onion Shield vs Allagan Round Shield.

Which is better, GO!
On paper in terms of overall (long term) mitigation, Allagan/Holy shields are better. I am too lazy to find the maths/figures but the benefit is less than 1% difference in overall mitigation.

In practice I vastly prefer Onion. Even with slightly lower overall mitigation, you will end up mitigating more total hits. This is more important to me, as I prefer smoothed out damage. Most of the time the only thing that should kill a tank is burst, and I will take a higher chance to reduce that burst over a lower chance but slightly higher reduction.

Jinko

Log into Mogstation, then click on the One-Time Password option in the Square-Enix Account Settings menu. You should be able to see your emergency removal password in red letters in the box.

I just checked and I have nothing in red, there is a serial number, is that it ?

suzu

If you're using the SQEX Token (mobile app), make sure you write down the serial number somewhere.

You will need that number, if for some reason your app resets or you need to remove it from your account.

Aeana

I just checked and I have nothing in red, there is a serial number, is that it ?

Sorry, apparently the emergency password only applies to the software token. For the hardware token, the only way to remove it from your account if you lose it is to contact support.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Ah, gotcha. It's gotta be a little bit more reasonable to have "Lost the physical token" when it's about the size of a thumb drive, than it is to "lose access to a piece of software".

Number45

Sorry, apparently the emergency password only applies to the software token. For the hardware token, the only way to remove it from your account if you lose it is to contact support.
Eeep! Maybe I'll keep mine (assuming I actually go through with the LE purchase) as a souvenir.

On that note: do all LE pre-orders get early access to the game?

Keep the OP the same, when I started the game a few weeks ago it really helped a total idiot newb get his bearings. I have not played MMO's in forever and the last one was Star Wars.

Stuart444

When you guys get a tank (or any class but I see Tanks do this the most) ask to be kicked/booted for a variety of reasons (such as someone tried to give them tips and were promptly told to "fuck off" and when someone said "That's rude" they go "well boot me then" or when they get a dungeon they don't like in DR), what do you do?

Do you go "sure" or do you tell them "eat the penalty or finish the dungeon"

I almost always tell them to eat the penalty. At that point, one of two things happen. 1. They disconnect at the source (their internet) which happened once ("Can you guys boot me"... Silence for 5 minutes and then the tank disconnects) and we proceeded to do the rest of Tam-Tara while their name was still in the duty list lol. or 2. They leave after realizing they won't be booted and they eat the penalty. Had that happen once and funny thing is, we were 2 minutes from the final boss, he could have just finished it instead of eating the 30 minute penalty.

So yeah, what do you do? Boot them or let them choose to eat the penalty/disconnect/finish the dungeon.

If they are honestly going to be a jerk. Tanks, or other classes and ask to be kicked. Hell no. Make them eat that penalty with salty tasty tears of anger.

I just started playing and I can say with all the Duty Finder crap I have gone through, if some jerk is going to be a giant ass because they cannot take the pointers from another player or players they can eat that penalty, it is dreadful as hell to wait to get into duties as it is already.

Granted there are some bad groups out there but I have yet to experience a group so bad as that I could not finish the duty with them out of sheer horror at being stuck with them.

suzu

Some people can't take tips or constructive criticism well. Even if you try to dress it up in a nice way, they will still think you're an elitist mocking them. Or "don't be so serious, it's just a game". D:

Sorian

Banned
You got's to be hardcore, aint nobody got time for non DPS clams.

On another aspect of Duty Finder and parties in general. Is it easier to find people for duties at higher levels? I am at 24 and it is a freaking nightmare just for the first 4 dungeons.

Duty roulette is fine, takes 20min for me as a dps most days, not optimal but far from terrible. But yes, if you are just queing for a specific dungeon and you aren't a class in need, expect an hour if not longer.

Thanks for pointing that out. Duty Roulette it is. I just got into the guild and I would rather play with complete strangers and learn the dungeons up to a certain point instead of making a complete ass out of myself with guild members joining lower level instances so I can progress the story line.

I finally got to the point in the game that I can use a mount. For some reason it was anti climatic. Did a bunch of quests hit 4 instances, ran around and collected 2k in tickets for my grand company so I could get Chcobo insurance and when I turn it in all that is exciting is that I was able to name the Chocobo. I have yet to even ride it as I have the collectors edition and have the CE mount that came with it...

I am hoping to hit 30 in Thm and then run archer up to 15 and get Black mage as my main class until 50. Coming from WoW and Star Wars it is seriously awesome that I do not need to have any alts whatsoever. The only thing that is permanent is my point allocation to my stats as I level right? I mean those do not change if I change from Caster DPS to Tank do they?

Noi

Stat allocation is fixed per-class, not per job. You keep the same stat allocation when swapping from Scholar to Summoner cause they have the same base class, but changing from Paladin to Black Mage will have different stats.

Stat allocation is fixed per-class, not per job. You keep the same stat allocation when swapping from Scholar to Summoner cause they have the same base class, but changing from Paladin to Black Mage will have different stats.

That makes this game even more brilliant... Hot damn. I cannot wait to catch up and do end instances with the rest of you guys. So far this game has yet to disappoint. I know it still has that new car smell for me but it is seriously awesome what they have done with this game so far.

suzu

Thanks for pointing that out. Duty Roulette it is. I just got into the guild and I would rather play with complete strangers and learn the dungeons up to a certain point instead of making a complete ass out of myself with guild members joining lower level instances so I can progress the story line.

I am hoping to hit 30 in Thm and then run archer up to 15 and get Black mage as my main class until 50. Coming from WoW and Star Wars it is seriously awesome that I do not need to have any alts whatsoever. The only thing that is permanent is my point allocation to my stats as I level right? I mean those do not change if I change from Caster DPS to Tank do they?

I wouldn't worry about making mistakes. Your guild/fc members are less likely to be snappy about it than randoms too, so don't be afraid to ask.

Every class gets their own stat allotments. Also you can reset stats later by purchasing a specific item from your grand company for 10k seals.

Do I get everything in the guild bank if I'm post 20k?

Is this a trick question? What if there is a run on the bank by the officers... and then they form a new guild called NGAF to show their elitism over the GAF guild?

If not, and you do happen to win everything in the guild bank if you are lucky enough to be the 20 thousandth post... will you throw some Gil my way? Travel fees are expensive.

Sorian

Banned
Is this a trick question? What if there is a run on the bank by the officers... and then they form a new guild called NGAF to show their elitism over the GAF guild?

If not, and you do happen to win everything in the guild bank if you are lucky enough to be the 20 thousandth post... will you throw some Gil my way? Travel fees are expensive.

1 gil for all my closest friends because I wouldn't want anyone to accuse me of being cheap.

I have no friends

/cry

BadRNG

So yeah, what do you do? Boot them or let them choose to eat the penalty/disconnect/finish the dungeon.
Honestly have only seen this once. He wasn't rude about it, guy claimed he had to go pick up friend. When asked why he couldn't take penalty he said he'd be able to make it back within 30 minutes. Group collectively called bullshit and he stayed, not saying anything else rest of run.

So Yoshi-P... I think you should remove the lock out now...
So eager to farm for my SCH book? :)

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Honestly have only seen this once. He wasn't rude about it, guy claimed he had to go pick up friend. When asked why he couldn't take penalty he said he'd be able to make it back within 30 minutes. Group collectively called bullshit and he stayed, not saying anything else rest of run.

So eager to farm for my SCH book? :)

Um. Only if I can also get my bow ;-;

chrono01

So Yoshi-P... I think you should remove the lock out now...
At least this gives me more time to anticipate the loot drops for next week to, ultimately, be disappointed once again.

Oh, and it allows Alena more time for Dark Souls II and Krael to stop the harassment of store clerks in Yakuza.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
FFXIV GAF waiting for 2.2

patience1bjigm.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom