• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.
Player housing 5 months away then? Yikes that's going to be a killer for my GF. Don't know if she will be able to hold on that long as it was a major bonus for her. Next update is sounding like balls now.

KeRaSh

I have a keyboard set up just for this game. I started out thinking I'd be fine for the most part without one, but after awhile it became obvious I wouldnt be able to get by.
But you're right, a lot of people dont talk in dungeons, and it can lead to wipes.

Speaking as a person who played the shit out of WoW, FF14 is a smooth transition to controller MMO'ing for me. I'm very happy with targetting, since discovering the R1 or L1 targeting stuff.

L1 / R1 targeting? Could you explain?
I hate SMN pets getting in the way of targeting stuff during FATEs. Haven't found a way to get around this, yet.

No need to bite my head off, just letting you know.

Sorry, not biting head off, just stating our disappointment. It was her big excitement especially and with endgame being so awful in this game, it really is going to be hard to see either of us lasting that long in the game. The previews we keep looking up didn't state FC housing was coming first, they talked like it was coming in the first update. Still not seeing anywhere stating FC is first, but whatever I assume ppl here are more informed from the forums or whatever than these crappy previews.

They've always said FC housing was coming first and player housing was coming later. Ever since housing was first announced they've said this.

If you haven't been following the game until recently, I could see you getting that impression.

If you want a house, just form your own FC and then buy one. Shouldn't be hard to find 3 other people to help you form a free company.

Controller players can run instantly. Just push the left stick away from whatever it is you're trying to avoid. I don't understand the confusion. (Or how anyone could play this or FFXI with KB&M)

Controller users cannot properly use elusive jump. A reason why I will never be able to use a controller for the game.

They've always said FC housing was coming first and player housing was coming later. Ever since housing was first announced they've said this.

If you haven't been following the game until recently, I could see you getting that impression.

If you want a house, just form your own FC and then buy one. Shouldn't be hard to find 3 other people to help you form a free company.

That's actually a reall good idea, :lol

Munba

FC housing will be indeed more fun than the private one. And with the possibility to make 1vs1 pvp tournament inside (your dojo). D:

pitbull

Banned
what a shit show

AACFE614AE1A2A4A0DC621116D28D4B5B47282C9

i see you staring at me from across the crowd....

L1 / R1 targeting? Could you explain?
I hate SMN pets getting in the way of targeting stuff during FATEs. Haven't found a way to get around this, yet.

While your cross hot bar is active (either meaning you are holding down L2 or R2, or you have it toggled on with mixed or toggle mode) you can change the enemy you have selected by pressing L1 and R1.

It works great in FATEs, when the target you want to select isn't that important, but it can take some getting used to when you want to select a specific enemy.

Yikes, that's really bad. Bunch of hard cores gonna leave maybe.

Nah, worse has happened in other games and anyone with sense won't throw a snitfit over one boss needing a quick fix. If anything I think most people I know will appreciate a break from her for a week
emot-v.gif

KeRaSh

Controller users cannot properly use elusive jump. A reason why I will never be able to use a controller for the game.

I must be doing it wrong
right
then because I'm using a controller (PS3) and can use Elusive Jump just fine...

While your cross hot bar is active (either meaning you are holding down L2 or R2, or you have it toggled on with mixed or toggle mode) you can change the enemy you have selected by pressing L1 and R1.

It works great in FATEs, when the target you want to select isn't that important, but it can take some getting used to when you want to select a specific enemy.

Thanks for the info. Will give it a try the next time I'm online and see if I can find a use for this method.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I am a gamepad player;. I can't stand palying KBM except for Strategy/RTS games, everything else... Gamepad for me. Hell, I am so into this game because I can play it on gamepad without being hindered. I still keep my keyboard to type and chat, while sometimes I use my mouse to focus on enemies faster when there's a lot of people, but otherwise I don't feel hindered or with problems. I love leaning back in my comfy couch (hah!) and playing this beautiful game in my home theater. Gamepad for the win!

Item Box

I only use a controller cause I'm too lazy to find proper mapping for keys that won't make my fingers cramp after 5 seconds of play

that and it feels better

pitbull

Banned
Hey Shouta, whats your MNK rotation look like?
Or any high level monks.

depends on the fight really but you want 3 greased up, twin snakes, true strike, dragon kick, mark of death, and demolition up all the time.

some replace true strike with fracture and dots are replace with [the rock toss aoe] for trash mobs

there's still no set "rotation" per say but know where you need to stand and what buffs each moves gives you should be 90% of it

They'll leave because they can't exploit? I'm sure SE could literally not care any less if they quit.

Why can't they?

You can not do an instant precise camera control with the contoler, meaning you can't use the skill in it's most effective way. As a means of exact and fast positioning.

it's more that if you're using a controller you can't do an instant 180 degree turn and activate it to move you forward

This. Except not only forward. It is a skill that you can use to jump anywhere, unlike the targeted once, but you need to be able to rotate your character fast enough for it to be effectively used that way, since the jump is always backwards.

creid

it's more that if you're using a controller you can't do an instant 180 degree turn and activate it to move you forward
Why not? If you're using legacy controls you can immediately change the direction your character is facing.

I'm confused. Why can't you do an instant 180 degree turn on the controller?

Are you talking character or camera?

If you don't use legacy controls on a gamepad then you're doing it wrong.

Aeana

They'll leave because they can't exploit? I'm sure SE could literally not care any less if they quit.

Seems strange to me. It seems pretty clear that SE tuned turn 5 to be uncompletable for the moment, so why would people be upset that they can't continually wipe for hours? I guess some people still have hope that they'll be able to do it.

Yikes.

Ultrabum

Seems strange to me. It seems pretty clear that SE tuned turn 5 to be uncompletable for the moment, so why would people be upset that they can't continually wipe for hours? I guess some people still have hope that they'll be able to do it.

Yikes.

Ya I mean. Nothing makes hardcore raiders want to play more than telling them you probably can't beat something yet. Some people have gotten pretty close, and they are all still getting gear upgrades from coil + myth cap.

Its more about the precision. To use it as movement skill and not just placement you need to have exact precision to where you are trying to go, while in a normal jump so you don't lose time when you could be heading in your desired direction, and being able to rotate right back the other way right on landing to continue movement without any stopping or moving back in the wrong direction.

creid

Its more about the precision. To use it as movement skill and not just placement you need to have exact precision to where you are trying to go, while in a normal jump so you don't lose time when you could be heading in your desired direction, and being able to rotate right back the other way right on landing to continue movement without any stopping or moving back in the wrong direction.
What situations do you use this in?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

Nobody is going to quick because they closed an exploit.

It's not like anybody could farm that boss --or even kill it once-- anyway.

You thought server lag played a part in Titan pools, just wait until you experience those tornado things. The inconsistency with those things is making it impossible to progress through the fight.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
We just go all out DPS the entire fight. Much easier that way.

Agreed, it is super easy to guess when the split will be, but there isn't much reason to hold back DPS.

Hell, we don't feed either snake after the split, we just DPS race the fight at that point.

Aeana

Agreed, it is super easy to guess when the split will be, but there isn't much reason to hold back DPS.

Hell, we don't feed either snake after the split, we just DPS race the fight at that point.

The reason to hold back DPS is so the split occurs with no stacks. I mean, I guess it's our gear, but if we didn't do that I don't think we could possibly win. It already gets completely insane near the end damage-wise building from zero stacks after the split.

Skilletor

Why is everyone after this?

For the looks?

Yep.

When they have vanity slots, I will wear these only. I got 4 parts in two runs. I'm very lucky. :D

Not going to bother with the arms and legs. Maybe when I level up another mage. The stats are really good for the level, but I care more about how awesome they look.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
The reason to hold back DPS is so the split occurs with no stacks. I mean, I guess it's our gear, but if we didn't do that I don't think we could possibly win. It already gets completely insane near the end damage-wise building from zero stacks after the split.

Do you have a scholar on your team?
Originally we had 2 WHM and it was tough to keep the tanks up, once we got a SCH and a WHM things got much easier.

I mean, I'm still kinda confused as to why the controller is not as precise. I'm not a DRG so I don't know the specifics but is the jump based on your character positioning or the camera positioning?

Gamepad players can do a 180 turn just as easily as anyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom