• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chille

Well I cleared a9s last night, we gonna attempt a10s tomorrow night, lets see what happens.

*I am gonna guess death, lots and lots of death

C1SdtizXEAAgvP7.jpg

AtticuSMT

Banned
Quick question.

I started FF14 in October and less then a week or two after I had family issues I had to deal with. I'm not finally home and good to settle back into playing and not needing to drive 9-15 places a week. And lo and behold when I settled down I forgot all my info outside of my username.... so I sent in request to have my security questions reset... has anyone else done this and if so how well does Square Enix work with these requests.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Today is my first day back at work since getting this last week

I wanna videogames

dramatis

Quick question.

I started FF14 in October and less then a week or two after I had family issues I had to deal with. I'm not finally home and good to settle back into playing and not needing to drive 9-15 places a week. And lo and behold when I settled down I forgot all my info outside of my username.... so I sent in request to have my security questions reset... has anyone else done this and if so how well does Square Enix work with these requests.
If things go smoothly, you should be okay. The SE text chat support is actually not bad.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Soooo does A11S even have an enrage? Cruise Chaser started slow casting GA 100 around 4 percent and we all died. Was that the enrage or cause the pillars made us fall? I guess I need to tell my group to step up dps a little. I try to dps as MH a lot too and it does help but I can't always be doing it especially when last phase is so hectic.

The enrage in A11S is allegedly an ATM you can't get on.
The only practical way to take that long is to take too long in earlier phases.

Quick Question: I used to play this, lapsed, but with FFXV out I'm inspired to dig back into it soon. I left Pre-Heavensward, would you guys suggest I wait for Stormblood or jump back in now? And, if I buy the upgrade to Heavensward, will that include a month of gametime? Or will I have to buy the $20 expansion and then buy a month?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Quick Question: I used to play this, lapsed, but with FFXV out I'm inspired to dig back into it soon. I left Pre-Heavensward, would you guys suggest I wait for Stormblood or jump back in now? And, if I buy the upgrade to Heavensward, will that include a month of gametime? Or will I have to buy the $20 expansion and then buy a month?
The expansion doesn't include any playtime. If you're interested in playing Stormblood you should jump back now and clear the whole ARR/HW main story, unless you want to pay for the story skip potion to enjoy Stormblood from day 1.

demonkaze

Is there any good levelling guides for Gathering classes 50-60? Haven't touched my Miner since the ARR days when I first hit 50 on it.

Pejo

Gold Member
So I got back in game last night for the first time in nearly a year+, and as expected, everything feels super foreign to me now. I decided to just continue on the main story quests to unlock Heavensward (I bought it at release, but never even made it to the content). I got held up at the Ramuh Hard Mode fight. One of my old friends from the server jumped on her DRK and pretty much solo'd Ramuh with my healing as backup. What a crazy power difference 10 levels and a bunch of ilevels make. She had like 40k HP, compared to my measly 4k as a SCH at level 50 with Allagan gear from Coil. Sounds like I have some some upgrading to do.

So a few questions, if anyone can help:

- What is the best way to level up now? Grinding FATEs still?
- What's the fastest and easiest way to get geared to an appropriate level to at least do dungeon roulettes again?
- Would I be better off playing Healer/Tank/DPS to learn the new content? I used to main WAR, played WHM in raids, and pissed around on SMN and NIN for fun. NIN is my "best" geared right now, but that's pretty much from Crystal Tower ilevel 110 gear, so it's still trash. I do have all of the pre-HW jobs at 50 with relics though, so I could pick up anywhere.
- Is crafting worth it for income? How are people getting money these days? I have Alchemist to level 50 for crafting and FSH to 50 for gathering.
- Any good resources for skill rotations and bulding good macros or skill layouts? My finger dexterity needs some work, and I had a hell of a time trying to do the multiple chain attacks and ninjutsu on NIN vs. a practice dummy last night. I can't imagine doing all of that while trying to dodge bad zones and move to adds, etc. Is it better to use controller now? I never tried it but I'm up for giving it a shot.
- This one is less likely to get an answer because of complexity, but are there any new game elements or things introduced from HW -> Now that I need to know about and start working towards? Like a new currency or daily progress thing that I should be doing every day.

Thanks to anyone who answers one or more of these.

garath

At what point can you go back to earlier dungeons unsynced? I started playing Thanksgiving weekend with a friend but he hasn't played nearly as much as I have and his highest job is 32. I've been queuing up with him on whatever dungeon hes on as a tank (he's playing healer) and we get instant pops which is nice but if it's possible, I'd love to just rip through the dungeons with him unsynced. I'm only 53 ilvl 100 though so maybe need some growing to do first.

At what point can you go back to earlier dungeons unsynced? I started playing Thanksgiving weekend with a friend but he hasn't played nearly as much as I have and his highest job is 32. I've been queuing up with him on whatever dungeon hes on as a tank (he's playing healer) and we get instant pops which is nice but if it's possible, I'd love to just rip through the dungeons with him unsynced. I'm only 53 ilvl 100 though so maybe need some growing to do first.
Unsyncing dungeons gives no XP though

In all likelihood, at your current gear level you'd likely get through it quicker with 4 competent players (unless it's like Sastasha or something), and since you get insta-pops as a tank anyway I wouldn't worry about it.

As for when you have the option, check if it's already available by clicking the settings button at the top of Duty Finder. You might not get it til after Heavensward tho.

Unsyncing dungeons gives no XP though

also this

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Soooo does A11S even have an enrage? Cruise Chaser started slow casting GA 100 around 4 percent and we all died. Was that the enrage or cause the pillars made us fall? I guess I need to tell my group to step up dps a little. I try to dps as MH a lot too and it does help but I can't always be doing it especially when last phase is so hectic.
I believe the soft enrage is just Cruise Chaser recasting GA-100 over and over until all your pillars are dead and you fall to your deaths.

You should probably consider the second GA-100 the enrage, which would destroy your last pillar and wipe you with common strategies. I hear there's a way to baby the pillars so that you can get past the second GA-100 if you really want to go that route, but you really should be able to beat that timer with current gear.
- Would I be better off playing Healer/Tank/DPS to learn the new content? I used to main WAR, played WHM in raids, and pissed around on SMN and NIN for fun. NIN is my "best" geared right now, but that's pretty much from Crystal Tower ilevel 110 gear, so it's still trash. I do have all of the pre-HW jobs at 50 with relics though, so I could pick up anywhere.
- Any good resources for skill rotations and bulding good macros or skill layouts? My finger dexterity needs some work, and I had a hell of a time trying to do the multiple chain attacks and ninjutsu on NIN vs. a practice dummy last night. I can't imagine doing all of that while trying to dodge bad zones and move to adds, etc. Is it better to use controller now? I never tried it but I'm up for giving it a shot.
- This one is less likely to get an answer because of complexity, but are there any new game elements or things introduced from HW -> Now that I need to know about and start working towards? Like a new currency or daily progress thing that I should be doing every day..
- It sounds like you played pretty extensively before, so just go with whatever job you like.
- Don't know about guides, but check out FFlogs.com for records of what players are doing in top raids. You can lift openers and rotations from the records there.
- You can clear Alex Normal raids to get tokens that you can eventually trade for i250 gear.
- The newest week-capped tomestone grind is Tomestone of Lore. That gets you i260 gear.
- One notable new weekly thing to do is Wonderous Tails, which is something that you can find from a kid NPC named Khloe in Idyllshire (there's an NPC near the big aether crystal that starts the quest). Once a week, you get a sticker book that contains 16 instances you can do that week. You only need to complete 9 of them. Each instance cleared adds a sticker to a random spot on a 4x4 grid in the book. Line up four stickers and you get a prize from the NPC, such as tomestones, gear, or items you can trade for Tier V materia. The more lines you get, the better the prizes.

You can probably cut through all the dungeons below level 50. Give it a try.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
So I reached HW MSQ #65/94
Almost seeing the finish line

Is the Dragon War MDQ complete also? or are they going to be adding more MSQ through those quarterly updates or no more MSQ till Storm blood release

Also why do I always sucker myself to be a completionist, that I sidetrack myself with side quests and hunts lol
I want to have all Aether Currents unlocked, it feels so good doing quests on the map and reaching the enemy at a good pace

1.5 level away from 60, then I can jump my ilvl hella quick...
What do you think is best way of at least hitting ilvl 250 for my WAR without burning too much gil.
I want to finish all MSQ up till whatever is available
Can't believe I trucked through 2.3 and reaching the end of HW in under 10 days

Any cool gear accumulating tricks you have would be appreciated

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Man I just got back to playing since nearly a year ago and I am LOOOOST. No idea where to begin. Last I played I was still a BLM (i93) trying to get the one after the relic weapon or whatever the fuck that was. I started doing some story quests to progress it but... I remember before the was a nice change log of stuff for changes and to-do stuff. Anyone have a link for those?

Pejo

Gold Member

Thanks so much. Had no idea about that Wonderous Tails thing, but it sounds exactly like what I wanted to know. I'll also check out that site for rotations, and work towards i250/260 stuff after hitting max level. My friend last night was telling me of some new event or location that makes leveling really fast, but I can't remember the name of it. Dark Castle or something of that nature? She said 4 DPS can go in and clear a bunch of it without needing a proper party setup, or I could probably even hit it up solo for a bit.

Think I'm going to stick to NIN for now, because I find it really fun, but I might go dabble in WAR after I learn pulls and strategies on new dungeons.

Also really excited to try DRK and AST out eventually.

I'll admit, RDM suckered me back in, as my favorite class from FFXI, but I'm actually really enjoying the game again, and I'm actually excited to see how the story plays out since I've heard nothing but good things about it post HW.

Man I just got back to playing since nearly a year ago and I am LOOOOST. No idea where to begin. Last I played I was still a BLM (i93) trying to get the one after the relic weapon or whatever the fuck that was. I started doing some story quests to progress it but... I remember before the was a nice change log of stuff for changes and to-do stuff. Anyone have a link for those?

About the relic, there's really no point in doing it now unless you want to grind for glamour.

Best to continue with the story since there's another one at level 60 if you really want one.

dramatis

- What is the best way to level up now? Grinding FATEs still?
- What's the fastest and easiest way to get geared to an appropriate level to at least do dungeon roulettes again?
Easiest way to level is to do Palace of the Dead 51-60.

Easiest way to gear is buy crafted gear. However, your options at 60 are as follows:

Centurio Seals: Hunts in Heavensward. This also rewards daily exp, a pretty substantial amount if you complete all the lvl 3 marks daily. However, they're not available until you hit the HW content, and I think you have to be a certain level before you get to hunt lvl 3 marks. But the seals you get are good to net you some i170 gear, with the option to purchase upgrade items you can use to turn that i170 gear into i180. Best used for quick accessories.

Lower tier lvl 60 dungeons: You'll eventually have to do these to get the lvl 60 roulette and the expert roulettes. Gear from i160 and up drop from them. Obviously RNG means it's variable how well you can get geared with this only.

Lore tomes: the 'previous tier' of tomes, which means you can buy gear from about 20 ilvls below current max. Problem is that it is only accessible when you hit roughly 'endgame' of HW (technically you can buy before you complete story, since the area to buy gear with tomes is accessed before final story bits).

I don't believe so. The pillars are only the soft enrage because eventually they will break due to CC moves.

For 95% of groups that second ga100 is the hard enrage. Surviving past that requires perfect aoe/damage placing on the towers on top of virusing the double whirlwind.

Are you meeting the 54% skip shield limit break that gives it a damage boost? That flat damage boost on top of mechanics living through and cleaning up last phase alot harder. If not, just make sure people save all their cooldowns for after lapis and push.

Yeah, we skip the shield all the time and it is so much less stressful on us healing final phase. Isn't disable better for the whirlwinds, btw?

Boof

I have a bit of a greedy request. If no bites that's ok. I'd like to get the recruit a friend rewards but I have no friends that want to play or no longer play. Do any of you have an account that has not registered a recruit a friend code yet? I'd love to send you one to get some of those rewards. I bet then we could probably chain off each other and hook each other up!

Just send me a pm with your email and ill send you the code. You then enter the code in Mog Station. This might be a nice way to hook each other up with some neat rewards.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I've already registered a code for someone. But if multiple people are interested we can get a chain going.

Pejo

Gold Member
Easiest way to level is to do Palace of the Dead 51-60.

Easiest way to gear is buy crafted gear. However, your options at 60 are as follows:

Centurio Seals: Hunts in Heavensward. This also rewards daily exp, a pretty substantial amount if you complete all the lvl 3 marks daily. However, they're not available until you hit the HW content, and I think you have to be a certain level before you get to hunt lvl 3 marks. But the seals you get are good to net you some i170 gear, with the option to purchase upgrade items you can use to turn that i170 gear into i180. Best used for quick accessories.

Lower tier lvl 60 dungeons: You'll eventually have to do these to get the lvl 60 roulette and the expert roulettes. Gear from i160 and up drop from them. Obviously RNG means it's variable how well you can get geared with this only.

Lore tomes: the 'previous tier' of tomes, which means you can buy gear from about 20 ilvls below current max. Problem is that it is only accessible when you hit roughly 'endgame' of HW (technically you can buy before you complete story, since the area to buy gear with tomes is accessed before final story bits).

Thanks, I appreciate this detailed run-down. So my progression should look like this:

Level 60 - Palace of the Dead -> Dungeon (LV60) to i160'ish while farming level 3 marks (I assume this is like NM hunting?) -> 180ish -> Build up Tomes -> 220ish? That should be good enough to get where I'd like to be before the new expansion drops.

Also, what is that weird Aura that some players have? is that an item or equipment or a title or what? I saw it on a DRK with mostly i250-i260 gear, and it was a red wavy aura around his whole body.

SkyOdin

Also, what is that weird Aura that some players have? is that an item or equipment or a title or what? I saw it on a DRK with mostly i250-i260 gear, and it was a red wavy aura around his whole body.
That visual effect is the Dark Knight's Darkside buff. It is a buff that the class has to manage that some people leave on all the time. It was originally going to be a cool dark flame effect, but the devs downgraded it to some silly red lines before Heavensward released. Other classes also can generate glowy auras, but few can be left on 24/7 like the DRK's.

A few pieces of body armor do glow, namely a few pieces of augmented crafted armor from the 2.x patchs.

dramatis

Thanks, I appreciate this detailed run-down. So my progression should look like this:

Level 60 - Palace of the Dead -> Dungeon (LV60) to i160'ish while farming level 3 marks (I assume this is like NM hunting?) -> 180ish -> Build up Tomes -> 220ish? That should be good enough to get where I'd like to be before the new expansion drops.

'Aura' gear is special crafted gear, it's mostly for glamour purposes rather than of practical combat use at high levels.

You phrased your question as "how can I get to ilvl to do dungeon roulette", so I left out the other means of getting gear (when you first hit 60) that you might need a better minimum ilvl to get into. Once you get past about i170 or so, you can also do these:

Alex Gordias/Midas Normal: Midas is the higher tier, so you'll need some lower tier gear before you can do it. They're the endgame raids, except these are the easy ones. The levels drop tokens that you exchange for armor (2 pedals for feet, 4 springs for legs, etc.) in the "Mor Dhona" of HW. The downsides of this method is 1) queue time and 2) possible bad parties. For Gordias and Midas, you can get unlimited amounts of drops as long as you run them.

Void Ark/Weeping City: The 'Crystal Tower' of HW. Currently Weeping City is still locked to one drop per week. But Void Ark you can grab however much you want, it gives you ilvl 200 gear (but you need to be i175 to enter).

The Centurio Seals can also be used to buy your AF2 gear, which is higher level than the i170-180 gear I mentioned. But obviously it is more expensive.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Mother of Fuck that is all Holy

DAT Bismarck (Hard) fight, Gawd Damn!, DAT FUCKING MUSIC!, My Goodness

Sweet Jesus!
So Good!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Cleared A9S tonight. First time I've ever cleared a savage.

Still kind of confused how drops work in savage areas other than 1 manifesto page per week.

If you clear for the week, and don't get any of the drops, you're unable to lot on other chests you might see for the week if there are enough first week clears in the party?

katagai

Still kind of confused how drops work in savage areas other than 1 manifesto page per week.

If you clear for the week, and don't get any of the drops, you're unable to lot on other chests you might see for the week if there are enough first week clears in the party?

You can still lot on stuff (I think), but since you cleared it for the week, your presence in the party will penalize the run and result in fewer chests. If a party has a certain number of people who have already cleared for the week, it'll result in no chests appearing.

LProtag

What kind of endgame content am I going to be doing if I'm just playing pretty casually? As in, how much stuff am I going to be locked out of for not being able to take the game super seriously?

ebil

I've been losing packets like crazy lately, so had to call off A12s for tonight. :( Oh well, our 7th tank coat can wait a couple days I guess.

You can still lot on stuff (I think), but since you cleared it for the week, your presence in the party will penalize the run and result in fewer chests. If a party has a certain number of people who have already cleared for the week, it'll result in no chests appearing.
You only get to roll once per item per floor. If you clear a specific floor multiple times you won't be allowed to roll at all for any clear after your first for the duration of the lockout. If you don't get any drop, try next week or buy it when you get enough pages.

If 1-4 people have already cleared you only get 1 chest. If 5+ people have already cleared you get 0 chest.

What kind of endgame content am I going to be doing if I'm just playing pretty casually? As in, how much stuff am I going to be locked out of for not being able to take the game super seriously?
You probably won't be doing the Savage raid but you can still run the Normal one even being super casual, as well as the Alliance raid.

Depending on how casual we're talking, you might not be running the current Extreme Primal while it's relevant. They're still relatively accessible to casual players as long as you're willing to spend time learning them though.

Kenai

With cross server PF soon you should be able to do everything but current Savage content, although depending on your skill and ability to learn it may take a bit of time to do some of the newer Primals like Sophia EX. They are just harder versions though, so you will still see the story about it and get to experience the fight on an easier mode if you so choose (although the mechanics can be very different).

But normally, you will be running the DF for Tomes to purchase up to date gear for whatever job gear and then working towards whatever vanity stuff you want. There's different gear sets (some job locked, some not) pets, mounts, furniture, music ect. As much or as little as you want.

zarnold56

How important are the gathering and crafting jobs at end game? I am leveling a conjurer and picked up botanist when I could. It is really boring to level. First time playing this game.

Arkeband

Banned
How important are the gathering and crafting jobs at end game? I am leveling a conjurer and picked up botanist when I could. It is really boring to level. First time playing this game.

You can always buy food and potions from the marketboard, but becoming a culinarian or alchemist does allow you to make them 'cheaper' like they would in most other MMO's.

The other crafting classes are generally completely useless in terms of PVE/PVP unless you have massive amounts of money to pour into making crafted gear as soon as a raid tier drops.

However it's nice to be able to repair/meld all of your gear whenever you want.

Gathering classes are not useful other than for accumulating items for crafting and some other secondary gameplay systems.

Leveling my alt, I learned that the 2.x lvl 50 quests only give 4800 xp now. What a huge bummer. From almost 30k by end of story to 5k.

Does anyone know if that increases at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom