• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
The most noteworthy thing out of Zurvan, from a game development standpoint, is that they took control of the player's camera for the mid-fight limit break.

I mean, there was nothing stopping them from doing that before, but it looks like we can expect things like this from future fights.
I guess they're experimenting with this sort of thing more and more. They sort of did this for the intermissions in A11, but this is the first time they actually turned off our UI.

The animation itself was pretty lame, though. It was like a really bad 3d movie trick.

I do think I like Dun Scaith more. The last fight is hilariously anime.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
As someone hi has been playing on and off since release, I enjoy the game mechanics.

What I don't like is being fucking COMPLETELY tied to the god damn story quests. Anyone really decking into it now is just at SUCH a step back with having to do something like 300 quests in order to make progress and even unlock heavenward stories.

It is just SUCH a big hurdle it's borderline annoying. They needed to add the story skips, and possibly level skips with this patch. You can still go back and do Potd and learn and earn class mechanics as you play through, which is honestly a really good way to earn XP and see what your class is going to be like.

I hit 40 on monk and am just so SICK and TIRED of porting around from place to place to what amounts to fucking almost nothing but wastes of time.

I hear this criticism from time to time and while it doesn't apply to me I got to say that this is for the most part a narrative driven MMO and if your not invested in the story than your going to have a hard time making progress.

Ultimately though it might not be in Square-Enix's financial interest to allow players to catch up to the current content so easily because your more likely to unsubscribe once you caught up.

Sure you can say the opposite is true where making a brand new player go through the entirety of 2.0 to access 3.0 could make them unsubscribe but I think Square-Enix hopes that you unsubscribe because of the lack of new content (in which case you may come back to the game) instead of quitting because there's too much to do (In which you are less likely to return) so if unsubscribe is unavoidable than Square-Enix might as well make as much as money as possible out of players in your situation.

It's going to be interesting to see how they handle this in 4.0 (unless they already mentioned something about it).

Arkeband

Banned
I guess they're experimenting with this sort of thing more and more. They sort of did this for the intermissions in A11, but this is the first time they actually turned off our UI.

The animation itself was pretty lame, though. It was like a really bad 3d movie trick.

I do think I like Dun Scaith more. The last fight is hilariously anime.

I don't know if it was our group or not but the last fight took forever, and it doesn't help that he starts the second half with some obnoxious stoneskin buff that makes you do 0 damage to him. All 24 people were going "is there something we're missing?"

I agree that the animation in Zurvan was lame but it was basically the same thing as the screen-shatter from King Thordan.

I hear this criticism from time to time and while it doesn't apply to me I got to say that this is for the most part a narrative driven MMO and if your not invested in the story than your going to have a hard time making progress.

Ultimately though it might not be in Square-Enix's financial interest to allow players to catch up to the current content so easily because your more likely to unsubscribe once you caught up.

Sure you can say the opposite is true where making a brand new player go through the entirety of 2.0 to access 3.0 could make them unsubscribe but I think Square-Enix hopes that you unsubscribe because of the lack of new content (in which case you may come back to the game) instead of quitting because there's too much to do (In which you are less likely to return) so if unsubscribe is unavoidable than Square-Enix might as well make as much as money as possible out of players in your situation.

It's going to be interesting to see how they handle this in 4.0 (unless they already mentioned something about it).

Ultimately they are going to have to change how they approach the glut of mindless go-here-now-go-there quests that accompany the five content patches of each release. They're also going to need to trim some of the fat of the 1-50 experience. Forcing people to pay extra money just to skip a large chunk of your own game isn't going to solve the problem for the majority of people who won't do this.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Ultimately they are going to have to change how they approach the glut of mindless go-here-now-go-there quests that accompany the five content patches of each release. They're also going to need to trim some of the fat of the 1-50 experience. Forcing people to pay extra money just to skip a large chunk of your own game isn't going to solve the problem for the majority of people who won't do this.

I have very little experience with MMOs outside of playing Phantasy Star Online (Starting with V2 all the way to Blue Burst) or a few hours with Word of Warcraft.

So I don't know if other modern MMOs have fixed the "bland" side quests structures but to me at least I don't mind how FFXIV handles their Quest structures because that's how I perceive MMOs to be like.

I'm heavily invested in the story so I have an incentive for doing all the Side Quests and Main Story Quests regardless of how mundane they may be. As an example I will tell you that the Side Quests in the Heavensward Expansion are some of the most memorable ones I played so far (ignoring most Moogle Quests) from a story perspective.

I don't have an answer on how Square-Enix should approach this issue since the only frame of reference I have is that my roommate also voiced this same issue and it took him nearly 2 months to go from 2.0 all the way to the start of 3.0

Arkeband

Banned
I have very little experience with MMOs outside of playing Phantasy Star Online (Starting with V2 all the way to Blue Burst) or a few hours with Word of Warcraft.

So I don't know if other modern MMOs have fixed the "bland" side quests structures but to me at least I don't mind how FFXIV handles their Quest structures because that's how I perceive MMOs to be like.

I'm heavily invested in the story so I have an incentive for doing all the Side Quests and Main Story Quests regardless of how mundane they may be. As an example I will tell you that the Side Quests in the Heavensward Expansion are some of the most memorable ones I played so far (ignoring most Moogle Quests) from a story perspective.

WoW has dynamic quests that finish on the fly, have unique UI interfaces, etc.

You can only get so far away from "kill this thing" or "collect this thing", but they at least take strides to mask it. In addition, quests from the same area tend to overlap, meaning you can accept a bunch, complete a bunch, and if you have to return to the quest giver you're making less back-and-forth trips.

The answer is for Square-Enix to stop making such stupid quests that are like "lets go to the lower left hand side of Azys Lla" and then force you to fly to the upper right hand corner for no reason. It literally only exists to waste your time.

They can also just wholesale remove a lot of the 1-50 quests without losing any narrative. Turn making a cake into one quest instead of five.

Wilsongt

I'll wait a couple of months to schedule time off for Stormblood. SE loves to change their release dates and I don't want to take that time off now only to learn the release will be pushed back a few weeks later on.

garath

As others have already said, you can cut the MSQ up through 2.5 in half and not lose a shred of the narrative. So many of the quests are a mindless slog and I personally came close to quitting a few times since so much of the games content is dependent on the MSQ. I persevered and have made it through to heavensward. Where I yet again am locked into MSQ to unlock things. I'm level 55 but can't catch up to my warrior quest line since I'm locked out of the zone (I think.. I couldn't find a path to get there that wasn't blocked off).

I wish they could find a way to cut the main story fluff out. The actual storyline was decent but the actual game that I have enjoyed have been the dungeons and the character progression and even some of the trials.

The story skip potions are a nice approach but there was a lot of the story that was really fun to play through. I'm sad that will be skipped along with the "go feed this to the chocobo and come back" quests.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Speaking of MSQ complaints, I was happy to be in the home stretch but it feels like 2.5 is taking as long as like 2.1-2.4 combined for some reason. I thought I'd be done by now but I'm not even halfway through it.

So close, yet so far.

I held off doing Haukke Manor for the MSQ for a few days but I finally did it today.
I was worried cause I'd just upgraded my ACN to SCH and didn't have any healing experience, but the run went well. Nobody died!
It's satisfying and worrying to finally be at a point in the game where it's possible to be low on MP. Gotta use my Aetherflow stacks widely.

Speaking of MSQ complaints, I was happy to be in the home stretch but it feels like 2.5 is taking as long as like 2.1-2.4 combined for some reason. I thought I'd be done by now but I'm not even halfway through it.

So close, yet so far.
2.5 story is huge yeah. Get ready for some long cutscenes.

Squishy3

As others have already said, you can cut the MSQ up through 2.5 in half and not lose a shred of the narrative. So many of the quests are a mindless slog and I personally came close to quitting a few times since so much of the games content is dependent on the MSQ. I persevered and have made it through to heavensward. Where I yet again am locked into MSQ to unlock things. I'm level 55 but can't catch up to my warrior quest line since I'm locked out of the zone (I think.. I couldn't find a path to get there that wasn't blocked off).

I wish they could find a way to cut the main story fluff out. The actual storyline was decent but the actual game that I have enjoyed have been the dungeons and the character progression and even some of the trials.

The story skip potions are a nice approach but there was a lot of the story that was really fun to play through. I'm sad that will be skipped along with the "go feed this to the chocobo and come back" quests.
The only times I really think what you're saying are applicable in the Titan questline and the Garuda questlines, as well as the 2.1 and 2.2 questlines immediately after beating the base MSQ. In Heavensward, all that stuff really isn't there and is largely relegated to sidequests (which you probably won't even have to do when Stormblood comes out and they up the EXP gain like they did for ARR) and the only thing that might be tedious that you'd need to do is unlocking aether currents.

But ARR is different since a) it's when the game launched and b) there really wasn't all that much there at launch, so they really needed to be able to pad out the story. Plus it was also missing a ton of features that we just take for granted now. The problem ultimatey boils down to: If they go around redesigning older content, they need to rejigger story beats/moving around NPCs and such and that's taking actual resources away from developing new content versus say something like Lord of Verminion that probably didn't take any resources away from other things in the game. (since it was probably done by whatever people handled all the Gold Saucer stuff) Look at how Blizzard redesigned WoW with Cataclysm but still didn't even touch zones like Silithas, let alone all of TBC still existing in it's launch state.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Hey all. So I played for a month back in late 2013 (my sub ran out on New Year's Day 2014, specifically) on PS3, got up to the end of the 2.0 story content that was available at the time. Housing wasn't even a thing yet when I stopped. Anyway I recently did the PS3-to-PS4 thing and I've kinda gotten the urge to jump back in. Thing is, I really don't quite have it in my budget to both re-sub AND buy Heavensward right now (I KNEW I should have gotten Heavensward when it was $10 last month). Would there be enough solo stuff to do to keep me occupied for a couple weeks until I can get Heavensward? Also, I've hit 50 on my main class (BRD), and I know without Heavensward the level cap won't be unlocked, but I could just level other jobs in the meantime, right? I wouldn't be missing out on anything XP-wise (here's my character, BTW).

Thanks for any help, and I know it's probably silly of me to be considering re-subbing right now at all, but the urge is strong. :lol

Squishy3

Hey all. So I played for a month back in late 2013 (my sub ran out on New Year's Day 2014, specifically) on PS3, got up to the end of the 2.0 story content that was available at the time. Housing wasn't even a thing yet when I stopped. Anyway I recently did the PS3-to-PS4 thing and I've kinda gotten the urge to jump back in. Thing is, I really don't quite have it in my budget to both re-sub AND buy Heavensward right now (I KNEW I should have gotten Heavensward when it was $10 last month). Would there be enough solo stuff to do to keep me occupied for a couple weeks until I can get Heavensward? Also, I've hit 50 on my main class (BRD), and I know without Heavensward the level cap won't be unlocked, but I could just level other jobs in the meantime, right? I wouldn't be missing out on anything XP-wise (here's my character, BTW).

Thanks for any help, and I know it's probably silly of me to be considering re-subbing right now at all, but the urge is strong. :lol
There's 100 quests to do after finishing ARR, so yeah, there's stuff to do before being able to buy a copy of Heavensward. The only downside is if you had Heavensward you'd be getting EXP from them as well as whatever dungeons you do plus the daily leveling roulette bonus EXP, so you're missing out on that. (which isn't a huge deal, but you'd have a decent level advantage going into Heavensward content if you did own it and wouldn't be level-gated behind doing some quests.)

Edit: Oh hey, they announced during that preorder stream that Heavensward will come with all purchases of Stormblood. So I guess every expansion going forward will come with every previous expansion (Blizzard style but instead of just putting it on your account you get it when buying the new one.)

Xion_Stellar

Depending on how often you play the entirety of 2.1-2.55 can last you weeks but if by any chance you haven't bought Heavensward by June than buying the new expansion Stormblood in June will include Heavensward for free.

Yes you can level other classes and jobs.

eliza0224

I held off doing Haukke Manor for the MSQ for a few days but I finally did it today.
I was worried cause I'd just upgraded my ACN to SCH and didn't have any healing experience, but the run went well. Nobody died!
It's satisfying and worrying to finally be at a point in the game where it's possible to be low on MP. Gotta use my Aetherflow stacks widely.
I agree, you gotta plan it right or the team could get fucked up! Haha

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I don't know if it was our group or not but the last fight took forever, and it doesn't help that he starts the second half with some obnoxious stoneskin buff that makes you do 0 damage to him. All 24 people were going "is there something we're missing?"
Oh yeah, that happened to my group too. I saw 0 damage and we were all wondering if he was supposed to have some sort of plot armor removal, or if he put down his defenses himself. I was circling the boss to see if it was a positional thing like A11's shield, and was saving cooldowns to pop them when I started seeing damage numbers again.

I guess it was just a really strong stoneskin after all?

I like how silly that beam battle was, though. It was hilarious.

Kronotech

Stupid question but I need some controller help. I'm going to need to reluctantly add a 3rd hot bar set. It's easy to tab back and forth between only two but I don't want to have to tab through twice to get back to my home cross bar.

Any way to make the double trigger (LT + RT) crossbar only show up when the triggers are pressed and not show up through the tabs? Does that make sense? Am I yelling in a foreign language?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
One more thing...is the console version patcher still ridiculously slow? The last time I tried updating the PS3 version when there was a free login period it was something like "~7000 minutes remaining" despite the fact that I have a 40Mb/s connection. It won't even allow me to run the patcher without subbing, apparently, but if that shit's gonna happen again I won't even bother.

iammeiam

Any way to make the double trigger (LT + RT) crossbar only show up when the triggers are pressed and not show up through the tabs? Does that make sense? Am I yelling in a foreign language?

Let's say you have LT+RT/RT+LT on bar 8.

Go into Character Configuration, down to Hotbar Settings, and over to Custom. There are two sections you care about: Enable customization when weapon is sheathed, and Enable customization when weapon is drawn.

If you pick the customization option for sheathed, drawn, or both, you change which bars you'll cycle through tapping RB. So for weapon drawn, select customization, and check off the bars you want to cycle through. Leave bar 8 unselected, and you won't cycle through it. You can still get to the other ones by manually navigating to them if you need to, but it means you won't cycle through them.

Xion_Stellar

Stupid question but I need some controller help. I'm going to need to reluctantly add a 3rd hot bar set. It's easy to tab back and forth between only two but I don't want to have to tab through twice to get back to my home cross bar.

As far as expanded Controls on a controller goes you have 3 Options.

1- Enable a 3rd Cross Bar but that does mean you might have to press the L1 or R1 Button twice to cycle back to the home Cross Bar (Ex: Your on the 2nd Cross Bar so to go back to your 1st/Home Cross Bar you have the hit the button twice).

2- You enable the Expanded Crontrols and by holding the L2 AND R2 button your given access to 8 more button prompts that you customized yourself. This way you don't have to cycle through a 3rd Cross Bar to go back to your 1st/home Cross Bar

3- You enable the Wide Cross Bar and an extra us display on Screen.This extra Cross Bar is displayed at all time even while your using the 1st/home Cross Bar or the 2nd Cross Bar. To Access this extra Cross Bar you double tap the L1 or R1 Button. This way you don't have to cycle through a 3rd Cross Bar to go back to your 1st/home Cross Bar

So to explain the new controls you would in this mode you will pre L1 or R1 Button once to cycle through 1st/home Cross Bar to the 2nd Cross Bar like you normally would but to access the Wide Cross Bar you double tap the L1 or R1 Button and if you want to go back to the 1st/home Cross Bar or the 2nd Cross Bar you double tap the L1 or R1 Button twice again.

One more thing...is the console version patcher still ridiculously slow? The last time I tried updating the PS3 version when there was a free login period it was something like "~7000 minutes remaining" despite the fact that I have a 40Mb/s connection. It won't even allow me to run the patcher without subbing, apparently, but if that shit's gonna happen again I won't even bother.
If you're having trouble downloading a patch or you feel like it's downloading too slow you can always change your systems DNS to see if you see any improvements while downloading a patch.

Squishy3

I agree that the animation in Zurvan was lame but it was basically the same thing as the screen-shatter from King Thordan.
Dun Scaith stuff:
If you look towards the end of the fight Diabolos gives himself a buff that applies a heavy DOT to himself but gives him even more strength, so he's literally killing himself to try to kill you. I think this fight probably puts Diabolos as one of the strongest things we've fought in the game so far, haha, considering it's 24 people while stuff like Thordan/Nidhogg etc. are just 8.

garath

The only times I really think what you're saying are applicable in the Titan questline and the Garuda questlines, as well as the 2.1 and 2.2 questlines immediately after beating the base MSQ. In Heavensward, all that stuff really isn't there and is largely relegated to sidequests (which you probably won't even have to do when Stormblood comes out and they up the EXP gain like they did for ARR) and the only thing that might be tedious that you'd need to do is unlocking aether currents.

But ARR is different since a) it's when the game launched and b) there really wasn't all that much there at launch, so they really needed to be able to pad out the story. Plus it was also missing a ton of features that we just take for granted now. The problem ultimatey boils down to: If they go around redesigning older content, they need to rejigger story beats/moving around NPCs and such and that's taking actual resources away from developing new content versus say something like Lord of Verminion that probably didn't take any resources away from other things in the game. (since it was probably done by whatever people handled all the Gold Saucer stuff) Look at how Blizzard redesigned WoW with Cataclysm but still didn't even touch zones like Silithas, let alone all of TBC still existing in it's launch state.

I hear you on the resources. But more than keeping vets engaged, new players have to have a good path in. New players are the lifeblood of a MMO. I started with someone who couldn't take the ARR MSQ and he quit. I've been trying to talk him back in but frankly I don't blame him. I guess story skip is their answer but it sucks because a) you have to pay for that privilege and b) you would actually miss out on some really cool moments that can hook a player in.

I disagree that the Titan quest line was the only tedious part too. There were many many many tedious pointless quests that did not move the main story forward in any meaningful way and literally felt like a waste of time. I know it's a MMO and that's the mantra of these games but when the rest of the game is so awesome I felt a little robbed being forced to ensure that.

It's nice that heavensward improves on that but we're talking 130 hours of time to get there (that's what it took me).

Cmagus

I didn't see these posted yet but here are some better shots of the collectors edition. They've added 2 addition items for pre-order bonuses.

dlmeUot.png

WQbN35g.png

jgqljQT.png

qoccgRO.png

LAsuQ6B.jpg

HY0AjZA.png

RxO0HeR.png

meGzfDw.png

TOkW878.png

KT8H42M.png

Why don't you have your 270 relic yet?

The outside world is a silly place, so you should be inside doing A1S runs.

11-3 best coast had A1S bonus. :v

I really love the Mudra changes. Not only do I not have to worry about Raiton turning into Rabbit Medium anymore but I also get sick visual bugs that fuse two mudras together creating shit like exploding shurikens and electrified pillars of water

ANIME

Omni

Relic seems like so much effort

I'm not sure I like the WHM one enough to go out of my way to complete this step. Maybe. Would be easier to just buy the 12s one hmmmm

Cmagus

Does anyone know if the early access is SE store exclusive for Stormblood?

It will be for other pre-orders as well. Last time if you purchased the physical you got a code for early access, if you buy it through steam or PSN it's automatically added to your account.

TFORTOM

Neo Member
GAF, as a DRG, how do I stop ending up face down on the ground all the time? I know it's a running joke that we always end up on the ground, but I really want to improve!

I just finished the Great Gubal Library and ended up on the floor for each boss fight, in part to it being my first run through the dungeon and not knowing the boss mechanics, and the other being unable to get out of the AOE fast enough. I ended up looking up the mechanics to the 3rd boss whilst I was out for the count during the second to alleviate one issue, but the AOE has always been the bane of my existance.

The server tick is never in my favour, being Australian, so I'm always at least a second or two behind everything else, giving me a smaller window to get out of the AOE. Beyond that, the only thing I can think of to get out of the AOE fast is to be able to do some sort of quick turn around and run backwards, right now I can only strafe using Q and E, and hope that I escape the perimeter. Legacy controls let you do the quick turn with S. but it makes everything else more difficult to control, whilst Standard has everything I want but pressing S has you just walk backwards sloooooooowly. Usually I'm able to get out of the AOE in time, but there's always those instances where you don't.

Basically, any tips or tricks you folks have to not being a Drop Dead Dragoon? Or is it just expected at this stage, and I shouldn't worry about it.

Qvoth

The server tick is never in my favour, being Australian, so I'm always at least a second or two behind everything else, giving me a smaller window to get out of the AOE. Beyond that, the only thing I can think of to get out of the AOE fast is to be able to do some sort of quick turn around and run backwards, right now I can only strafe using Q and E, and hope that I escape the perimeter. Legacy controls let you do the quick turn with S. but it makes everything else more difficult to control, whilst Standard has everything I want but pressing S has you just walk backwards sloooooooowly. Usually I'm able to get out of the AOE in time, but there's always those instances where you don't.

are you playing in tonberry server? it's the unofficial sea and oceanic server, tonnes of australians here, it's japanese data centre so it's still better than US servers
regarding legacy controls, i don't understand why you say "it makes everything else more difficult to control", i changed from standard to legacy when i was still in the beta of ARR and never looked back

Vic_Viper

Here is a big close up of the figure from the collectors edition in case anyone was wondering. Last one I promise lol.

This is so sick.

Is the Stormblood CE going to be available to preorder at Gamestop and Amazon or is it Square Enix Store exclusive like the Nier and FFXIV CE?

TFORTOM

Neo Member
are you playing in tonberry server? it's the unofficial sea and oceanic server, tonnes of australians here, it's japanese data centre so it's still better than US servers
regarding legacy controls, i don't understand why you say "it makes everything else more difficult to control", i changed from standard to legacy when i was still in the beta of ARR and never looked back

Tonberry is the one! I guess my net is not up to snuff as it were.

Perhaps I'll give Legacy another go, I imagine it just takes some getting used to!

Kronotech

Let's say you have LT+RT/RT+LT on bar 8.

Go into Character Configuration, down to Hotbar Settings, and over to Custom. There are two sections you care about: Enable customization when weapon is sheathed, and Enable customization when weapon is drawn.

If you pick the customization option for sheathed, drawn, or both, you change which bars you'll cycle through tapping RB. So for weapon drawn, select customization, and check off the bars you want to cycle through. Leave bar 8 unselected, and you won't cycle through it. You can still get to the other ones by manually navigating to them if you need to, but it means you won't cycle through them.

As far as expanded Controls on a controller goes you have 3 Options.

1- Enable a 3rd Cross Bar but that does mean you might have to press the L1 or R1 Button twice to cycle back to the home Cross Bar (Ex: Your on the 2nd Cross Bar so to go back to your 1st/Home Cross Bar you have the hit the button twice).

2- You enable the Expanded Crontrols and by holding the L2 AND R2 button your given access to 8 more button prompts that you customized yourself. This way you don't have to cycle through a 3rd Cross Bar to go back to your 1st/home Cross Bar

3- You enable the Wide Cross Bar and an extra us display on Screen.This extra Cross Bar is displayed at all time even while your using the 1st/home Cross Bar or the 2nd Cross Bar. To Access this extra Cross Bar you double tap the L1 or R1 Button. This way you don't have to cycle through a 3rd Cross Bar to go back to your 1st/home Cross Bar

So to explain the new controls you would in this mode you will pre L1 or R1 Button once to cycle through 1st/home Cross Bar to the 2nd Cross Bar like you normally would but to access the Wide Cross Bar you double tap the L1 or R1 Button and if you want to go back to the 1st/home Cross Bar or the 2nd Cross Bar you double tap the L1 or R1 Button twice again.

If you're having trouble downloading a patch or you feel like it's downloading too slow you can always change your systems DNS to see if you see any improvements while downloading a patch.

You guys are awesome. Definitely gave me what I needed. Whew!

psyfi

Banned
I bought the PS4 copy of this that was on Amazon a few weeks back, but I didn't get a PS4 until today. Downloading now! I'm really excited to try it. It'll be my first MMO! I'm gonna go for a melee DPS (which I've heard is good for beginners) or healer class. Is there any way I could be useful to anyone here at a beginner's level?

I bought the PS4 copy of this that was on Amazon a few weeks back, but I didn't get a PS4 until today. Downloading now! I'm really excited to try it. It'll be my first MMO! I'm gonna go for a melee DPS (which I've heard is good for beginners) or healer class. Is there any way I could be useful to anyone here at a beginner's level?
I'm only level 32 on my main class right now so I mostly just watch the FC have fun on their endgame raids in the chat. :p
If you want a referral code let me know!

SkyOdin

I have to say, I am really appreciating the short queue times for full-scale Frontlines. PvP has never been this convenient. I hope it lasts more than a week.

Xion_Stellar

I have to say, I am really appreciating the short queue times for full-scale Frontlines. PvP has never been this convenient. I hope it lasts more than a week.

I don't know if PVP will consistently stay this busy but just just in case Im trying to get all of my GARO equipment as soon as possible.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
After wiping at 1% with a RF training party with 7 minutes left on the clock, joining a random PF party which didn't even require a certain ilv allowed me to finally clear Zurvan Ex (we did it in one run, yay).

I'm going to wait until my ilv is higher than the current 254 to farm the weapon though.

Lanrutcon

I haven't started my Anima yet, but the models look interesting.

CanI just wait a few months until they nerf some of the stupider steps? A few of the steps right now look like they'd just make me quit and go play something else.

Heartfyre

GAF, as a DRG, how do I stop ending up face down on the ground all the time? I know it's a running joke that we always end up on the ground, but I really want to improve!

I just finished the Great Gubal Library and ended up on the floor for each boss fight, in part to it being my first run through the dungeon and not knowing the boss mechanics, and the other being unable to get out of the AOE fast enough. I ended up looking up the mechanics to the 3rd boss whilst I was out for the count during the second to alleviate one issue, but the AOE has always been the bane of my existance.

Basically, any tips or tricks you folks have to not being a Drop Dead Dragoon? Or is it just expected at this stage, and I shouldn't worry about it.

For general AOEs, I've not had an issue when using a controller, and I play on an American datacentre while living in Europe. Might we worth trying it out with a controller? You say that it's usually fine, but you should be able to step outside of the vast, vast majority of AOEs.

The main reason that the Drop Dead DRG is a thing is because of Jump attacks. You can never know when a boss is about to drop an AOE on you, and the animation lock for the Jump attacks is such that after you launch, the AOE can drop, and by the time you land back down and try to get out of the AOE, it's too late.

That's just the way the job works in the game. You can only try to mitigate it so much before you're losing DPS, so it's better to take the damage, hope you survive it, and let a healer fix you up.

d00d3n

What should I start doing to get a good experience with the game? I am at the very beginning at some kind of road stop after my car broke down. There is a diner, and a monster behind it that I killed as a part of some kind of quest. It all seems a bit aimless and not very fun ... What should I do to change that?

Heartfyre

Did I imagine it or did I read somewhere that in 3.5 or Stormblood there will be changes to Aether Currents etc for flying?

They pretty much said it was to be the same as before. You have to attune to the currents in each area before you can fly, so that you're forced to explore the area on foot first before they give you the QOL convenience of bypassing it all. The right choice, I think -- Coerthas Western would just be a white blur in my mind unless I had to, at one point, navigate it all on foot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom