• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoCross

Leveling secondary jobs is so painful even with the armory bonus. Is PotD really the fastest way? It's becoming boring really quick.

Gala

I chose to buy the game again on Pc, because I was not confident enough to play tank on PS4 and I have a blast leveling warrior. I went PotD with Gladiator to get provoke and then switched to Marauder and I'm already level 40 after a day with a mix of roulettes, dungeons and PotD.
Though I have to say all gear looks horrible on my little Lalafell so far. Do you guys have any recommendations for glamour?

Korezo

I chose to buy the game again on Pc, because I was not confident enough to play tank on PS4 and I have a blast leveling warrior. I went PotD with Gladiator to get provoke and then switched to Marauder and I'm already level 40 after a day with a mix of roulettes, dungeons and PotD.
Though I have to say all gear looks horrible on my little Lalafell so far. Do you guys have any recommendations for glamour?

Do people go solo to lvl in PotD?

Thorgal

Give this a look

https://ffxiv.eorzeacollection.com/glamours

Apoptomon

EDIT:
You can post all of them, you'll just be counted as 1 entry. Don't struggle with what you want to post.
OK, can I make this my post my entry for the Ultros-GAF screenshot submissions.
tumblr_opmejqBvfz1rw99s1o1_1280.png

tumblr_opmejqBvfz1rw99s1o2_1280.png

tumblr_opmejqBvfz1rw99s1o4_1280.png

tumblr_opmejqBvfz1rw99s1o5_1280.png

tumblr_opmejqBvfz1rw99s1o8_1280.png

tumblr_opmejqBvfz1rw99s1o6_1280.png

tumblr_opmejqBvfz1rw99s1o7_1280.png

dabig2

Leveling secondary jobs is so painful even with the armory bonus. Is PotD really the fastest way? It's becoming boring really quick.

If you're DPS, it's either PotD or FATE grinding since dungeon queues for these guys can be long, especially ARR dungeons. So basically PotD is your best option along with your daily roulette. If you opted to not do all the sidequests as you progressed through the story, you can also do those to break up the grind.

Animekatt

Here I am again, the crazy lady that has been doing the mentor roulettes the last 8 months to get my mount. As of yesterday, I'm done!!!!

Now I can go back to play Persona 5 in earnest. I wanted to be done with the mentors before SB hit.

I expect the SB story will be good. Combat changes should hopefully be interesting.

I expect content wise it will be similar to Heavensward launch.

No idea how Eureka will turn out since there is no real information on it.

I think they need more stuff like PotD and Aquapolis though.

Maybe a coliseum type thing with challenging mechanics fights.

There are a number of criticisms concerning Diadem but a big one I think is how the fates are just your kill easy monster fates.

They are so easy that there is no challenge or any need to pay attention outside of maybe one or two FATES where the mobs do something outside of the norm like the one where the Sanua's blast people who aren't the tank.

Shoving AFK smash monsters in FATEs is not engaging content imo. There needs to be more effort in encounter design outside of trials.

In this game the encounters need to have actual mechanics in order for them to be interesting. If I can setup a macro to execute a bunch of moves and get food while it's going on because the monsters pose no threat whatsoever with their standard AAs and occasional circle/cone AOE then I consider that a failure to maintain engagement.

Omni

Here I am again, the crazy lady that has been doing the mentor roulettes the last 8 months to get my mount. As of yesterday, I'm done!!!!

Now I can go back to play Persona 5 in earnest. I wanted to be done with the mentors before SB hit.
Congrats!!

How many does this need again? I think I've done like... 20 mentor roulettes. I got bored of the same two dungeons over and over. Always Aery and Sohm Al. I never get anything interesting.

Animekatt

Congrats!!

How many does this need again? I think I've done like... 20 mentor roulettes. I got bored of the same two dungeons over and over. Always Aery and Sohm Al. I never get anything interesting.

Yep it's 2000 mentors. In the beginning I did 5 a day, then I went up to 10 a day for a few months.

And Thanks! :D

Squishy3

Congrats!!

It's all fun and games until you get T9 where all the mentors are the ones holding the party back.

iammeiam

Where exactly are they moving them too?

somewhere TOTALLY AWESOME
Servers in the new data center.
While we are aware that many of you are curious as to the actual physical location of the new data center, please understand that for security reasons specific to the operation of an online game, we are unable to divulge that information to the public. What we can tell you is that the servers will remain on North American soil, in an area that features an advanced Internet infrastructure.

You're insane. Now get off FFXIV and play Persona 5! <3 It's just too good.

Also, Astrope looks pretty awesome. I hope you have a friend to ride it with since it's a two seater. Have fun showing it off :D I think this mount takes 5 years or so if you do it casually. Insanity so you do get to brag xD

Animekatt

It's all fun and games until you get T9 where all the mentors are the ones holding the party back.

Believe it or not, I never got any of the coil turns. You are right about fellow mentors doing worse than the others though... I kept face palming so hard during Odin, Leviathan EX, amongst others.

Allard

I expect the SB story will be good. Combat changes should hopefully be interesting.

I expect content wise it will be similar to Heavensward launch.

No idea how Eureka will turn out since there is no real information on it.

I think they need more stuff like PotD and Aquapolis though.

Maybe a coliseum type thing with challenging mechanics fights.

There are a number of criticisms concerning Diadem but a big one I think is how the fates are just your kill easy monster fates.

They are so easy that there is no challenge or any need to pay attention outside of maybe one or two FATES where the mobs do something outside of the norm like the one where the Sanua's blast people who aren't the tank.

Shoving AFK smash monsters in FATEs is not engaging content imo. There needs to be more effort in encounter design outside of trials.

In this game the encounters need to have actual mechanics in order for them to be interesting. If I can setup a macro to execute a bunch of moves and get food while it's going on because the monsters pose no threat whatsoever with their standard AAs and occasional circle/cone AOE then I consider that a failure to maintain engagement.

Diadem's problem is they took a concept that really isn't designed for instancing and threw it into their instance system. If people had the ability to just 'go' into the location and group up organically so that people could stay as long as they wanted and could group up when the boss encounters showed or wanted to help kill fates like we used to do with atma grind/crystal grind etc then I think it would find a niche. Right now people stick around long enough to finish the content and if there is no bosses up they disappear unless they want to gather because the reward for doing fates is miserable and annoying, meanwhile the people who want to stick around do other things have a timed clock and no way to reorganize groups while in the field leading to them too not wanting to do the content. What they need to do is merge their instance zoning system into something clusterwide. You go into the zone, anyone from any server on the cluster can be in it, but there is a maximum amount of people you can have in a zone before the need to create another one. You can still have the party queue system to match players into the zone so a small decent group can be easily organized but open it up for future players joining. Diadem doesn't just die because of the lack of content people want to do, it dies because there is no way to refresh the content short of leaving early yourself.

And yes something a bit more sophisticated would be nice as far as content, but the concept was damaged right from the start by all the limitations imposed using the duty finder system to match people as the only way to create a party.

I wonder if we'll get a video like this on the 21st?

Diadem's problem is they took a concept that really isn't designed for instancing and threw it into their instance system. If people had the ability to just 'go' into the location and group up organically so that people could stay as long as they wanted and could group up when the boss encounters showed or wanted to help kill fates like we used to do with atma grind/crystal grind etc then I think it would find a niche. Right now people stick around long enough to finish the content and if there is no bosses up they disappear unless they want to gather because the reward for doing fates is miserable and annoying, meanwhile the people who want to stick around do other things have a timed clock and no way to reorganize groups while in the field leading to them too not wanting to do the content. What they need to do is merge their instance zoning system into something clusterwide. You go into the zone, anyone from any server on the cluster can be in it, but there is a maximum amount of people you can have in a zone before the need to create another one. You can still have the party queue system to match players into the zone so a small decent group can be easily organized but open it up for future players joining. Diadem doesn't just die because of the lack of content people want to do, it dies because there is no way to refresh the content short of leaving early yourself.

And yes something a bit more sophisticated would be nice as far as content, but the concept was damaged right from the start by all the limitations imposed using the duty finder system to match people as the only way to create a party.

I hope they learn from this in regards to whatever Eureka ends up being.

Diadem as a piece of throwaway content that doesn't really hold much importance to anyone in the grand scheme of things is one thing, but where you'll be going to do your relic weapon stuff is another thing entirely.

EDIT: Also, anyone know if there is any reason at all to use Ifrit over Garuda? Seems like Contagion is too strong to give up.

BLCKATK

EDIT: Also, anyone know if there is any reason at all to use Ifrit over Garuda? Seems like Contagion is too strong to give up.

Ifrit has a stronger auto-attack plus he will actually weave his skills relatively well when placed on Sic. I've found Garuda better nearly all the time but for those situations where you aren't getting a ton of mileage out of Contagion, he'll deal some decent damage.

Thanks for the answers.

I hope that Warriors maintain Butcher's Block as their high damage/aggro combo.

I feel that is one of the reasons why it feels smooth to tank with it in addition to the free stance switching.

I also wonder about their 4 other moves.

We know that one of them is a shoulder charge.

I wonder if one of them might be stronger than Fell Cleave.

Omni

Dumped a few more million into my house. I'm not sure how much I've spent in total, but I think I'm more or less finally finished! Until 4.0, I suppose haha. If we're able to move I'll be doing that and whatever. But for now!

Outside:

Inside:

I love those primal miniatures! I need the Nidhogg and Alex ones still but they're a bit pricey (Nidhogg scales are 5 million each on MB). Will have to farm for those later. But yeah!

BLCKATK

Thanks for the answers.

I hope that Warriors maintain Butcher's Block as their high damage/aggro combo.

I feel that is one of the reasons why it feels smooth to tank with it in addition to the free stance switching.

I don't think you have much to fear about losing it. It works rather well. A good solution would be to use Warrior as an example for the other tanks.

The only thing I would argue that Warrior should lose is Storm's Path. It's a piece of their utility that I feel could be in the right hands on Paladin who is more defensive. Sure, it's not used much after you are done with progression, but I feel it's effect (Enemy damage dealt down by 10%) is still powerful. Warrior can keep the skill Storm's Path, it just becomes a bigger life drain attack in exchange (Dare I say 100% of damage dealt?). Rage of Halone should receive Slashing Debuff in tandem with STR Down, and Delirium should receive Slashing Debuff in tandem with INT down.

Here are some simple PLD adjustments I would do if I was in charge.

Reduce Sheltron cooldown to 20s.
Add a trait that increases Block Strength, and adds a proc for Clemency and the new Banish-like skill, something like a 15% chance that after a block, Clemency/Banish is an instant cast for half-potency.
Add a new skill for a Storm's Path equivalent that is a weaker potency, but reduces enemy damage dealt by 10%. It can combo off of Riot Blade.
Change the Divine Veil to not require a heal to proc, and increase the size of the shield slightly (12% of the Paladin's max HP).
Bulwark as well as increasing Block Rate, should allow you to block magic while active. Circle of Scorn should receive a longer cooldown (45s-60s) but hit harder, and instead of a DoT, give the enemies Magic Vulnerability up for 15s. Then it combos with the new PLD spell.
Last but not least, give Flash a low potency initial hit as well as blind.

I don't think that is asking for too much.

Animekatt

Dumped a few more million into my house. I'm not sure how much I've spent in total, but I think I'm more or less finally finished! Until 4.0, I suppose haha. If we're able to move I'll be doing that and whatever. But for now!

Outside:

Inside:

I love those primal miniatures! I need the Nidhogg and Alex ones still but they're a bit pricey (Nidhogg scales are 5 million each on MB). Will have to farm for those later. But yeah!

Very nice!

Think I might go Highlander for the expansion.

I would go Hiqo'te but they don't exist in this game so Highlander is the way to go if you want something that looks a bit more formidable.

I don't think you have much to fear about losing it. It works rather well. A good solution would be to use Warrior as an example for the other tanks.

The only thing I would argue that Warrior should lose is Storm's Path. It's a piece of their utility that I feel could be in the right hands on Paladin who is more defensive. Sure, it's not used much after you are done with progression, but I feel it's effect (Enemy damage dealt down by 10%) is still powerful. Warrior can keep the skill Storm's Path, it just becomes a bigger life drain attack in exchange (Dare I say 100% of damage dealt?). Rage of Halone should receive Slashing Debuff in tandem with STR Down, and Delirium should receive Slashing Debuff in tandem with INT down.

Here are some simple PLD adjustments I would do if I was in charge.

Reduce Sheltron cooldown to 20s.
Add a trait that increases Block Strength, and adds a proc for Clemency and the new Banish-like skill, something like a 15% chance that after a block, Clemency/Banish is an instant cast for half-potency.
Add a new skill for a Storm's Path equivalent that is a weaker potency, but reduces enemy damage dealt by 10%. It can combo off of Riot Blade.
Change the Divine Veil to not require a heal to proc, and increase the size of the shield slightly (12% of the Paladin's max HP).
Bulwark as well as increasing Block Rate, should allow you to block magic while active. Circle of Scorn should receive a longer cooldown (45s-60s) but hit harder, and instead of a DoT, give the enemies Magic Vulnerability up for 15s. Then it combos with the new PLD spell.
Last but not least, give Flash a low potency initial hit as well as blind.

I don't think that is asking for too much.

They're going to be buffing something on Paladin.

Only need to wait 11 more days to find out.

Why does Yoshi play a god damn lalafell?

That looks really cool... damn... WAR with more aoe potential is nice. That move reminds me of Presea's move in Tales of Symphonia. The one where she slams the ground and all rocks come up

It could be an AOE or buff, Paladin's looks like an AOE attack.

I have no idea what the hell the Dark Knight one is supposed to be.

Looks like he's falling off a cliff.

Here's the translations.

Paladin said:
Knight 's new action of Knight. Horizontal rotation!

Warrior said:
A new action of the warrior is done at Jansa. Tail lamp processing!

Dark Knight said:
A new action of the dark knight at a certain place. Longitudinal rotation

From today it is finally "Omega in the dimension: Omega in the dimension: Delta edition zero type" Yoshida participation final adjustment started!
I am going to die on the spirit of "First look / unprepared, thank you!"

What I usually do is:
1-10: Hunting log, FATEs, any super low level side quests you may have.
10-15: Hunting Log (should be rank 2 at this point), FATEs, Guildhests (the first time bonus exp is really good at low levels) and maybe a few leves to get to 15.

I can usually get a class to 15 in a couple hours. After that, do your roulettes, run some PotD and do some leves. Also, try and go for the weekly challenges. They give great exp for low level classes. PotD can get boring but it beats the hell out of farming dungeons like Stone Vigil, Arum Vale, etc. If you are a Tank or Healer, I would mix in some dungeon runs though as queue times are pretty short.

Tip for when nearing lvl 30 and up to lvl35. At camp tranquil, there is a leave called "Adamantoise Tears." You have to collect 5 eggs and if you just sprint to them it takes a whopping 40-50 seconds to complete the leve and gives great exp. I usually do that around that level to mix things up a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom