• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's more noticeable on certain classes than others (NIN is pretty bad) but the easiest to notice it on is probably DRK. At a ping of 30-50 or so, you can double-weave your off-GCDs without issue as long as you hit the buttons quickly enough, but at 90ms, your GCD will clip no matter how fast your fingers are.
It changes the whole class for the worse, in a big way, if you have to plan everything around only using one off-GCD per GCD, especially during sensitive parts of a fight like your opener.
However, having said that, the solution to that problem is not to magically try to place the servers somewhere that everybody can get 30-50ms (a physical impossibility), but rather to actually fix the game and its client-server relationship so that an extra 0.05 seconds of latency isn't preventing you from performing three actions in a greater-than-2.0-second interval.

Goodbye DRK.

Soooo which is it? No double weaves in the mid-100s or 90s?

I guess it means you better like clipping your GCD. I'm going to test it tomorrow when I get the chance.

Dark Knight without double weaving oGCDs is really dumb though. The thing about it is how fast it can get with its oGCDs.

So not being able to do that will probably lower the enjoyment factor of it a lot.

Which means for me the choice will be between Paladin and Warrior.

I guess it means you better like clipping your GCD. I'm going to test it tomorrow when I get the chance.

Dark Knight without double weaving oGCDs is really dumb though. The thing about it is how fast it can get with its oGCDs.

So not being able to do that will probably lower the enjoyment factor of it a lot.

Which means for me the choice will be between Paladin and Warrior.

I think I'm hardcore then I read stuff like this.

I'm glad I don't care this much.

Squishy3

I think I'm hardcore then I read stuff like this.

I'm glad I don't care this much.
It's going to make the biggest difference for speed kills and the like than anything else, and certainly wouldn't make things unclearable, and it won't even matter for most of the content in the game... but yeah. It still sucks. I'm not affected as heavily as some people but I'm still going from 60ms to 90.

Maybe they should work more on making more oGCDs that go together that are easier to weave into one GCD. My frame of reference is Dragoon, where it's way easier to weave together Blood for Blood and Battle Litany, than it is, say, Blood of the Dragon. I might even just be crazy, I don't know.

But now everybody gets to feel like GL3 Monk with Arrow and Fey Wind

It's going to make the biggest difference for speed kills and the like than anything else, and certainly wouldn't make things unclearable, and it won't even matter for most of the content in the game... but yeah. It still sucks. I'm not affected as heavily as some people but I'm still going from 60ms to 90.

Maybe they should work more on making more oGCDs that go together that are easier to weave into one GCD. Or god forbid, and do the crazy thing and increase the GCD for everyone.
308736936452030464.png

But now everybody gets to feel like GL3 Monk with Arrow and Fey Wind

They could probably reduce the recovery on oGCDs so you can fit two in with more latency but no one in Japan likely experiences this so zero percent chance of that happening.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Change it so you can use only one oGCD between skills.

Reduce GCD to 2 seconds base.

Monk players:
FFBXjyV.gif

Monk players:
FFBXjyV.gif

There's that, but the recovery on oGCDs just fucks over people at a certain level of latency and doesn't really add anything by it being there.

Since it's worked in the past I think this could be changed if someone could create a plan to get Yoship to play at a North American event on the east coast then have him play a job that double weaves then when he clips his GCD someone nearby will say something about the lag and how great it would be if you weren't locked out of using GCD moves for a certain amount of time after a oGCD.

I think after that making the change would shoot to the top of their to do list.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like

Monk players:
FFBXjyV.gif
Here's us on PS4 attempting to do the same thing:

egrWG1q.gif

iammeiam

Soooo which is it? No double weaves in the mid-100s or 90s?

It's going to be influenced by fairy buff/skillspeed values/arrow, but for most people you're not going to feel the clip until you hit mid-100s.

Behold!

14.084 - 11.657 = 2.427 seconds between logged GC actions, with a double oGCD in between.

I have 532 skill speed, which should put my base GCD at 2.43 seconds. There's no clip there (I can also generally tell by feel when I'm clipping but I'm trying to provide more evidence than just I say so.) My ping has always historically been over 100, and when it crosses into about 140 I can tell because my entire opener collapses in on itself.

There will be a skill speed at which 100ms is going to make you clip noticeably on double oGCDs, and triple oGCDs are torture, plus things like the fairy buff can throw it off, but a 100ms ping *is not* job ruining.

I don't want to act like it's nothing, because there will be some kind of adjustment period for people whose latency doubled and it's possible the FFLogs top 10 people are going to see major upsets since they do a lot of super precise buff coordination, but I'm relatively sure no other combat sequence in FFXIV is as button-intensive as the first 20 seconds of the MCH opener, and it doesn't register that "oh god this is broken nothing fucking works" stag until mid-100s.

nerd addendum: the other complicating factor is whether or not the clipping actually registers as a difference; if you're clipping .1s of the GCD each time you double oGCD, it's going to take a lot of double oGCDs without a boss jump to actually cost you a full GCD (this gets more convoluted than just that but for ease of discussion i'll go with that.) The primary concern is going to be missing synch buffed windows that were tight before (or the mythical extra wildfire GCD), and the overall problem with doubles will get worse the more skill speed you have, but it's why I'd encourage people to just try it before freaking out over raw numbers.

Mitark

I bought this game at launch on PC but didn't play, then bought the A Realm Reborn (Collector's Edition) on PS4 in hope to play and i was excited ,but for personal reason i didn't even open the box , i still have the Collector's Edition and then i saw that samurai will come back with Stormblood and got excited again!! because i was samurai in FF11 (My 1st job to 75) and i played since the US launch on PC and quit during 2008 on Ragnarok server

and i went to recover and active my FF11 Playonline account to see if there's anyone i know still play ,but i need to make SE account ( i didn't have one at the time) to link it to my Playonline account 1st and do transfer data to SE account ,thanks god that i still have my FF11 information and even the discs and everything, everything went smoothly, and i downloaded the full install and updated and man.. when i heard the Playonline music again ; ; unfortunately no one still play.

anyway that was on March 31th 2017 the same day i saw old post from gaffer about amazon deal ,so i bought it on PS4 digital code and made character on Ultros then later i found that my friend play on Ragnarok server ( same server name as FF11 heh) but he stopped playing since long time,i convinced him and two other (all family member) to play the game, so i made other character on Ragnarok.

and now we are 4 progressing slowly through story quest in hope to make it before Stormblood launch but we still on 2.0? we are close to The Ultimate Weapon quest
https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Operation_Archon

and now I'm Bard lvl54 and i love the job ( i leveled all classes to 20~30 to see which one is for me)

iammeiam

They're disabling Gilgamesh and Balmung transfers and character creation when SB launches to prevent a rush.

They're also bumping the transfer gil cap to encourage people to GTFO high pop servers.

Nice for Euro people to get to keep some gil at least.

Also new Euro servers coming, and all-datacenter bribes to transfer there:
Transfers to designated Worlds will be free of charge.
EXP bonuses will be applied to designated Worlds (up to level 60).
Gil and free play time will be awarded to newly created characters that reach a certain level on designated Worlds.
EXP bonuses will be applied to newly established Worlds (up to level 60).
Gil and free play time will be awarded to newly created characters that reach a certain level on newly established Worlds.

It's going to be influenced by fairy buff/skillspeed values/arrow, but for most people you're not going to feel the clip until you hit mid-100s.

Behold!

14.084 - 11.657 = 2.427 seconds between logged GC actions, with a double oGCD in between.

I have 532 skill speed, which should put my base GCD at 2.43 seconds. There's no clip there (I can also generally tell by feel when I'm clipping but I'm trying to provide more evidence than just I say so.) My ping has always historically been over 100, and when it crosses into about 140 I can tell because my entire opener collapses in on itself.

There will be a skill speed at which 100ms is going to make you clip noticeably on double oGCDs, and triple oGCDs are torture, plus things like the fairy buff can throw it off, but a 100ms ping *is not* job ruining.

I don't want to act like it's nothing, because there will be some kind of adjustment period for people whose latency doubled and it's possible the FFLogs top 10 people are going to see major upsets since they do a lot of super precise buff coordination, but I'm relatively sure no other combat sequence in FFXIV is as button-intensive as the first 20 seconds of the MCH opener, and it doesn't register that "oh god this is broken nothing fucking works" stag until mid-100s.

I'll count myself among the lucky who are escaping with under 100 ping (90).

But I'm thinking of all the people (seeing quite a few on reddit) learning that this new server change is fucking them hard and not an actual improvement as marketed.

Already seen some who have pings so high they aren't planning on playing anymore because it's too damn high.

I can't imagine how that feels to get done in right before an expansion you were anticipating comes out.

I wonder why other game companies don't seem to have this server issue but for SE it's this weird thing. Like having your only NA server in Montreal, Quebec. What the fuck is up with that?

Apparently the EU server used to be in the same place? Not even in Europe? And here they don't even have multiple server locations. Like WoW has east/west/central coast servers IIRC. Then there's the current situation where they just flip coasts instead of putting the server in a more central location.

Since other game companies don't seem to have this issue in regards to servers my initial assumption is that SE doesn't know what they're doing.

I would really like to know if there's an explanation for why the NA and EU servers were placed in Montreal in the first place.

Like an explanation so good I could say "wow, I completely understand, there's absolutely nothing they could have done better here, they chose the best option available for the players and there was nothing else they could have possibly done" but my pessimism tells me that such an explanation doesn't exist.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Surprisingly I have 2 characters (alt + name reservation that I'll never use) on Aether and have deleted 99% of my fantasia alt characters on Primal.
And also stopped drinking fantasias for the most part.

I'm a changed man.

Unless I lose that permanent one-sided fantasia bet.

iammeiam

my only regret is they didn't add a Goobue race for you to fantasia into forever

But I'm thinking of all the people (seeing quite a few on reddit) learning that this new server change is fucking them hard and not an actual improvement as marketed.
There are groups I feel bad for. There are also groups of people freaking over raw numbers, making statements I know to be false from personal experience. The number of people the shift to 100ms is going to measurably impact is much, much smaller than the number of people mad about being told their experience got worse (people who don't ride the GCD as-is raging about clipping is interesting.)

The EU people? it sucks for. South America? This is shit for them. I'm not saying people dramatically affected have no right to be upset, just that the response so far is disproportionate from people who don't actually know how they're impacted in-game.

The servers had to leave Montreal. The Level3 issue was causing a ton of problems--SE and ISPs finger-pointing as people lost usable game access during primetime for weeks or months. People on PS4 were stuck with no options, people on PC were experimenting with VPNs to try and get around packet loss, but a lot of people were getting increasingly less forgiving of the interruptions. The routing was always going to change. This isn't the best solution, and god knows I love to rant about stupid stuff SE does (h8 u diadem), but there are a lot of people annoyed by being over 100ms because they were told it's bad. I'm just saying it's not job-destroying and while I was aware of my higher overall ping, it's never been the thing that held me back. Me being bad was usually the thing that held me back.

I wonder why other game companies don't seem to have this server issue but for SE it's this weird thing. Like having your only NA server in Montreal, Quebec. What the fuck is up with that?

Apparently the EU server used to be in the same place? Not even in Europe? And here they don't even have multiple server locations. Like WoW has east/west/central coast servers IIRC. Then there's the current situation where they just flip coasts instead of putting the server in a more central location.

Your first paragraph goes a long way towards answering the second--if they were trying to keep costs down due to uncertain populations, they were going to locate the non-JP servers together. Two datacenters to maintain for a game with ?? population. Since they stuck Europe in with NA, that has to be east coast. When they realized Europe could support a datacenter all on its own with no need to worry about leaning on the NA population, they moved them. Europe being gone let them investigate new options. Sacramento who the hell knows why.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I'll count myself among the lucky who are escaping with under 100 ping (90).

Already seen some who have pings so high they aren't planning on playing anymore because it's too damn high.

I can't imagine how that feels to get done in right before an expansion you were anticipating comes out.

Since other game companies don't seem to have this issue in regards to servers my initial assumption is that SE doesn't know what they're doing.

I would really like to know if there's an explanation for why the NA and EU servers were placed in Montreal in the first place.

Like an explanation so good I could say "wow, I completely understand, there's absolutely nothing they could have done better here, they chose the best option available for the players and there was nothing else they could have possibly done" but my pessimism tells me that such an explanation doesn't exist.
They were rushed and it was their first game server outside japan. Must have figured they could kill 2 birds with 1 stone by hosting both NA and EU servers at the same data center in the east coast.

Current Facilities
During development for A Realm Reborn, we strongly felt that the establishment of a North American data center was necessary to achieve the type of game experience we wished to provide. Though faced with a tight development and preparation schedule, we were able to realize our goal in time for ARR’s launch.

However, the endeavor hasn’t been without its challenges. The FINAL FANTASY XIV NA data center was Square Enix’s first attempt at establishing game servers outside of Japan, and as such, we have spent much time quietly tackling related problems since the center’s inception four years ago.

Some of these problems have included voltage overload and a lack of physical space for additional servers, ultimately leading to an inability to efficiently optimize servers or expand the scale of data center itself.

As a result, players have been repeatedly inconvenienced with server crashes and protracted server maintenance periods.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/...garding-North-American-Data-Center-Relocation

Mitark

They were rushed and it was their first game server outside japan. Must have figured they could kill 2 birds with 1 stone by hosting both NA and EU servers at the same data center in the east coast.

didn't know that, even FF11? not a single FF11 server outside japan? that's surprising but since i was on Ragnarok i guess this is right because japanese player were playing the game for long time before the US launch

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Montreal was bad and this is bad.

I play from Russia on NA data center - a conscious choice that used to be possible - because there's people I know and people I'd like to play with.

Ping went up from 136 with wtfast which was workable to 205 with wtfast.
It would appear that routing improved because even with a ping that high the gameplay feels relatively smooth (truly designed for 220ms?!?!?!) but on closer inspection there's a lot of clipping here and there.

It's basically no longer competitive for me.
Kind of disappointing honestly and I'm at a loss.

Pretty close to just quitting because SB isn't looking that hot anyway.

Haly

Most NA games have two NA data centers, east coast and west coast.

Evidently S-E doesn't feel the current NA base can support it. People being pigeonholed into their chosen servers just exacerbates the issue.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!

Evidently S-E doesn't feel the current NA base can support it. People being pigeonholed into their chosen servers just exacerbates the issue.

I'll rev up that fantasia addiction again and fund an east coast datacenter for you all.

Splitting the NA data centers to East and West would create the problem of people being forced onto different servers and splitting friends up. So I can see why they wouldn't feel it was worth doing.

The biggest problem is that the game has never been massively profitable, it's not clear if they have even made back the money spent on the game going back to developing 1.0, and it's subscriber base has never been that large even in the ARR era. There's a reason why there is so much cash shop shit you can buy in this game.

Wagram

Well I re-subbed to Pingzapper to see the difference. It's perfectly fine on it and exactly the same as before. So if anyone on the east coast feels the new ping is unacceptable you can use the below code for some free time (for both of us):

https://pingzapper.com/ref/wagram

Seriously though. Really frustrating they couldn't just go mid US.

Haly

Splitting the NA data centers to East and West would create the problem of people being forced onto different servers and splitting friends up. So I can see why they wouldn't feel it was worth doing.

Yes, I mean, it's just one of many holdovers from 1.0. Two servers for the US would have to be done at the very start of the game.

iammeiam

On mobile so can't test my ping but people from my country averaging 220-300 ms so yeah, goodbye Eorzea, hope it was fucking worth it.

When you get home maybe try a trace route? I'm seeing a lot of reports that part of the SA/LA ping problem is that it's routing through Amsterdam at some point; if so it might theoretically be fixable? If some routing changes haven't propagated for you yet, or some VPN shenanigans. The situation is bullshit for you but if the path it's taking really is shooting off the Europe first for reasons the problem is less Sacramento and more the shit in between.

BLCKATK

Went from 23ms to 87ms but I didn't feel any noticeable difference after about 30 minutes of play. I feel bad for the people that are getting screwed by this.

When you get home maybe try a trace route? I'm seeing a lot of reports that part of the SA/LA ping problem is that it's routing through Amsterdam at some point; if so it might theoretically be fixable? If some routing changes haven't propagated for you yet, or some VPN shenanigans. The situation is bullshit for you but if the path it's taking really is shooting off the Europe first for reasons the problem is less Sacramento and more the shit in between.
Even if the routing gets fixed I doubt it will go under 220. When the LoL servers were in California I used to average 240ms on them.

scy

Just quickly tested DRK on a dummy and the difference was immediately noticeable.

Very much so when you use Blood Weapon.

Doesn't ruin the job but...

feels bad man.

I'm sitting at 80-90ms at the moment, albeit artificially I suppose, and I'm not really seeing any issues? Salted Earth + Blood Weapon is still an awkward pairing but that's mostly due to the nature of casting SE without losing time but BW into SE (with it on a x15 <t> macro) has it cast pretty cleanly. All the other common pairing of skills (DP+DA, C&S+LB) seem to still fire and with a fair amount of leeway. Pretty tight timing for some 'wrong' pairs like DA+C&S on the same oGCD but otherwise it's been fine?

Just random dummy tests of rotating through the openers I know, anyway.

For non DRK things, WAR @546 SSPD breakpoint I can 9-hit Berserk with time to spare without delaying my Berserk activation like I used to have to (aka, eat a forced small clip). DRG doesn't have any awkward 2x oGCDs but I'm also under the 599 SSPD breakpoint by a fair amount so I may not be running into any crunch. I don't NIN well enough to comment on the rotation flow but I still can't Huton at the max speed I smash buttons at which is ass still but eh.

IMBored

To new worlds on Chaos.
Thanks but no thanks.

Also doesn't clarify if the free transfer his only moving from other EU servers to the new ones. More, limited to 20M gil transfer now, but if it "works" they might remove the limit (aka wait until you transfer XD).

iammeiam

Also doesn't clarify if the free transfer his only moving from other EU servers to the new ones. More, limited to 20M gil transfer now, but if it "works" they might remove the limit (aka wait until you transfer XD).

They actually list designated worlds as their own thing, across data centers:
Moreover, players who to transfer to or create new characters on designated Worlds across all data centers will receive special bonuses as described below.

Transfers to designated Worlds will be free of charge.
EXP bonuses will be applied to designated Worlds (up to level 60).
Gil and free play time will be awarded to newly created characters that reach a certain level on designated Worlds.

So if you transfer to a designated dead NA server, you won't have to pay, they'll give you bonus EXP up to 60, and hand you money and some free sub time if you start a character there and level it enough.

IMBored

They actually list designated worlds as their own thing, across data centers:

So if you transfer to a designated dead NA server, you won't have to pay, they'll give you bonus EXP up to 60, and hand you money and some free sub time if you start a character there and level it enough.

But what if I transfer from a NA server to a designated EU server? I'll only trust I when I see it, but really don't want to move anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom