• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matchew

I don't have Heavensward, but if buy Stormblood will I also get Heavensward?

Playing on ps4 if that makes a difference.

Yeah I was thinking monk or BLM.

Or maybe potentially a tank, don't know yet. Hmm...

I don't have any issues at all with hotbar space on controller with MNK, BLM, or PLD, so they would be great choices. You can make anything work though, especially if you use the W Cross Hotbar (I main MCH on controller, and it works great now that I've got a solid setup).

Anaithsol

Neo Member
I don't have Heavensward, but if buy Stormblood will I also get Heavensward?

Playing on ps4 if that makes a difference.

Yes, Stormblood will include Heavensward; it won't be necessary to purchase it beforehand on any platform if you're not in a rush to experience that content before Stormblood's release.

Aeana

It's amazing to me how I can go a year+ not playing this game, but as long as I import my old key bindings, my fingers know exactly what to do. I went right into a dungeon on SCH first thing after coming back and I got carried by muscle memory.

Foxxsoxx

Cool thanks. I'm just starting out, so no point in buying Heavensward.

Definitely recommend leveling something to 50 and finishing the main story quests if you aren't going to buy the skip potions. There is a ton of stuff to do before you can even access things.

Slashing debuff from Maim lasts 24 seconds.

Damage buff from Storm's Eye lasts 30 seconds.

Fell Cleave reduces Infuriate CD by 5 seconds.

So inbetween Storm's Eye you'll have 2 combos to use on either Butcher's Block (aggro) or Storm's Path (extra meter).

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Ah so now that we are no longer a Bowmage and because of the balance update people want to jump back on the Bard bandwagon? Pshhh us real Bards stuck with the Bard through the thick and thin regardless of Wanderer's Minuet.

lol at the title change.

Nah dude. Bowmage is dead and buried where it belongs.

studyguy

Any time I hear about shooting bows. This comes to mind.
H2Kp54C.jpg

Also bowmage was the worst coming off of BRDs being the ones to run around frantically in 2.0

I noticed a bunch of the cross role actions are stuns/silences/binds.

What I'm wondering is if any of the content they are putting out will even feature enemies that can be stunned/silenced/binded. Or will they only be useful when you are killing mobs outside of trials/dungeon bosses.

Baelsar's Wall and Solm Al Hard featured a couple newer enemy types.

Like the archers that put DoTs on random people, the gels that explode after a cast time and those flying bots that tether to a party member.

Perhaps if they include more new enemy types that require stuns/silences/binds it will be worth taking them.

BLCKATK

I noticed a bunch of the cross role actions are stuns/silences/binds.

What I'm wondering is if any of the content they are putting out will even feature enemies that can be stunned/silenced/binded. Or will they only be useful when you are killing mobs outside of trials/dungeon bosses.

Baelsar's Wall and Solm Al Hard featured a couple newer enemy types.

Like the archers that put DoTs on random people, the gels that explode after a cast time and those flying bots that tether to a party member.

Perhaps if they include more new enemy types that require stuns/silences/binds it will be worth taking them.

I think allowing roles to spec for them gives them more freedom on including them. For 8 man fights you are always going to have at least 1 tank, guaranteed Stun and possible Silence. You will probably have one Physical DPS, ranged or melee, and they have access to tons of CC like that. Healers got CC as well and you will definitely have one. So they have a lot more freedom to make mechanics involving them since almost every party will have access to it.

iammeiam

CC is semi-frequently a thing in raid--A6S and A8S had silence required for Mind Blast, stuns and slows used on Brawler orbs to stagger their impact, etc. 3S had stuns/slows/silences in a few spots, 4S had stunning the legs to not get whomped, 7S had slows on the heart. IIRC 5S might have had stunning the snakes during Steel Scales cast? Nothing really notable in Creator, but historically raids have had a couple of things to stun or silence or slow. Putting them in cross-role makes sense because it will let them be a little more insistent about the type of interrupt--Quad pistons in A3S could be stunned or silenced, but with this they could just move it to stun only and not worry about people picking jobs that don't line up.

I think allowing roles to spec for them gives them more freedom on including them. For 8 man fights you are always going to have at least 1 tank, guaranteed Stun and possible Silence. You will probably have one Physical DPS, ranged or melee, and they have access to tons of CC like that. Healers got CC as well and you will definitely have one. So they have a lot more freedom to make mechanics involving them since almost every party will have access to it.

It seems that divorcing CC from normal abilities used in damage rotations is the way to go. I'm pretty sure we had a discussion in this thread about this exact topic some time ago.

CC is semi-frequently a thing in raid--A6S and A8S had silence required for Mind Blast, stuns and slows used on Brawler orbs to stagger their impact, etc. 3S had stuns/slows/silences in a few spots, 4S had stunning the legs to not get whomped, 7S had slows on the heart. IIRC 5S might have had stunning the snakes during Steel Scales cast? Nothing really notable in Creator, but historically raids have had a couple of things to stun or silence or slow. Putting them in cross-role makes sense because it will let them be a little more insistent about the type of interrupt--Quad pistons in A3S could be stunned or silenced, but with this they could just move it to stun only and not worry about people picking jobs that don't line up.

I hope non savage content features more stuff like this because I never knew there was a single boss fight in this game in which slow was actually useful.

LordKasual

Banned
Ah so now that we are no longer a Bowmage and because of the balance update people want to jump back on the Bard bandwagon? Pshhh us real Bards stuck with the Bard through the thick and thin regardless of Wanderer's Minuet.

lol at the title change.

Watching my DPS go to hilarious heights with Raging+Hawk+B4B Empyreal Arrow Barrage is the only payoff I got for playing BRD.

And I stuck with that class through Heavensward 3.0....when switching to Minuet actually resulted in a DPS loss in many occasions...not to mention Wardens Paeon being literally useless on launch. (still is honestly)

Heavensward has been rough on BRD. I don't feel bad for jumping ship, but I paid my dues :(

BOI

Let me introduce you to an old friend of mine:

ADS_Turn_1.png

His name was "manage your party's CC wrong and i kill you"

BOI

Let me introduce you to an old friend of mine:

ADS_Turn_1.png

His name was "manage your party's CC wrong and i kill you"

Yeah, I read about that fight a long time ago but only did it when I was doing all of binding coil unsynced so it didn't really matter at the time IIRC.

I just want them to add more things to non savage content that will reward usage of the new cross role CC abilities since I think they can build upon the little experiments they added in the last two EX dungeons.

iammeiam

Yeah, I read about that fight a long time ago but only did it when I was doing all of binding coil unsynced so it didn't really matter at the time IIRC.

I just want them to add more things to non savage content that will reward usage of the new cross role CC abilities since I think they can build upon the little experiments they added in the last two EX dungeons.

It would be nice if they did, but I'm a little skeptical in that moving them all to cross-role might actually make having the skills rare. MCH had a stun, a silence, a slow, and a bind native. They're now all getting moved to cross role, and there's zero chance I'm wasting four cross-class slots getting them all back. They can get away with it in Savage while relevant (they pretty consistently go back and nerf things so when Savage is random-DFable CC isn't as mandatory) because people can adjust what they cross into per fight, but as a rule of thumb they won't put anything into DF that you can't beat with any possible party comp.

LordKasual

Banned

I feel like Coil's fights were all vastly more interesting than what Alexander has given us so far. Second Coil in particular had some really clutch ass fights. Turn 7 to 9 in particular were pretty insane.

But yes, giving all classes a standard (but customizable) array of CC to use means that Savage raids in the future will hopefully make some good use of CC. I'm guessing the real reason that we dont see any enemies like ADS up there anymore is because forcing parties to coordinate CC on that level is just too aggravating.

Someone burned their off-GCD stuns? Fully resisted, mechanic fail, party wipe, GG

iammeiam

I feel like Coil's fights were all vastly more interesting than what Alexander has given us so far. Second Coil in particular had some really clutch ass fights. Turn 7 to 9 in particular were pretty insane.

But yes, giving all classes a standard (but customizable) array of CC to use means that Savage raids in the future will hopefully make some good use of CC. I'm guessing the real reason that we dont see any enemies like ADS up there anymore is because forcing parties to coordinate CC on that level is just too aggravating.

Someone burned their off-GCD stuns? Fully resisted, mechanic fail, party wipe, GG

They mostly went over like a lead balloon and destroyed raiding and whatever, but I'd argue that with some tuning changes 3S, 6S, 8S, and 11S could be Voltron'd into a respectable coil tier (and then 3S as tuned could be its own Savage.) 3,6 , and 8 all coincidentally feature some CC (and I'd say 3S adds phase is probably up there in terms of coordination checks in the game) and their lack of popularity might contribute towards Creator having none.

Alexander was super uneven overall (and the only reason I no longer think of 4S as the worst fight in the game is because 9S exists), but I do think it had its moments.

Vic_Viper

Just watched the Stormblood new job trailer and holy shit these changes look insane! Was that a new Egi for the Summoners? Looked like a giant blue dragon!?!

My item level is way too low to do the last several story trials/dungeons. It kind of feels like it would be silly to spend time grinding out a bunch of gear that will be obsolete in less than a month.

The game will probably give you the minimum ilvl gear to start doing SB content when it's released. So if you don't want to play now you probably won't have to.

The bigger issue you will not likely find a lot of people doing the old HW content right around when SB is released. They'll all be leveling up in the new content.

Getting a baseline level of gear is pretty easy though, I think I just ran Void Ark for a few days and then some Weeping City and Dun Scaith and I was mostly there. Cleared Alex Normal a few times too to get a decent weapon. I had some help from my old raid group members giving me some crafted gear to get me over a couple of ilvl humps so I could get into a few of those places but it was otherwise not terribly difficult.

Aeana

Victor Strange and Xtech hooked me up nicely with gear, I'm ever in their debt as always (I swear they are always helping me out when I come back to this game). Now I've got what I need to finish off the story.

Now the only dilemma I have is deciding whether to main SCH or AST for the expansion.

LordKasual

Banned
It's Bahamut

Still the best cutscene in the history of FF

I agree with this statement

Answers still hasn't been beaten, and after hearing the Stormblood theme, it probably wont ever be :(

not to say its bad or anything

Edit:

Oh fuck if you slow down the part where the Derplander yells and does Steel Cyclone, in the background you can see the Roe Paladin truck someone and use Spirit's Within

Love square's CG man

Xux

This expansion looks pretty neat. I guess I'll try and get back into this game for, like, the fifth time, lol.

The new Jobs look super cool. Love that they brought back Yukikaze, Gekko, and Kasha.

Victor Strange and Xtech hooked me up nicely with gear, I'm ever in their debt as always (I swear they are always helping me out when I come back to this game). Now I've got what I need to finish off the story.

Now the only dilemma I have is deciding whether to main SCH or AST for the expansion.

SCH is the one that can DPS a lot because of the fairy

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

Do you want to focus on dps with some pet management and snipe burst single target heals group heals as well as shielded heals that let you focus on dpsing a bit more.

-Shield your tank with adlo before big hits happen or a big pull
- Learn how to control your fairy abilities manually so they are not being wasted
- Learn how to manage your aether flow stacks to use abilities when they are optimal to be used.
- Learn how to focus on dpsing as much as possible and learn the limits of what your fairy can do and the timing it takes for a tank to go down before you pop back into healing with a emergency tactic -> swift cast -> adlo -> lustrate to burst heal back up before going back to dps
- At the end of the day you are still a healer and keeping people alive is the most important thing there will be plenty of moments where you will not be able to dps much or feel like you cant. It's up to the sch to figure out the difference between the two after you get better at the class

or

Do you want to do a card drawing mini game while managing heals over times, the card effects can be very potent giving party wide 10% attack boost and more. Ideally you still do light dps by making sure you are keeping your DoTs up on targets. This class has a lot more to manage at once. It can play a shield style like sch but the whm form is much better overall imo.

-Learn all your card abilities, what they do when used, their potency when spread, and their effects if you consume them to buff another card.
- Learn to keep dots up at all times using the aid of your heal over time spells on the tank
- Keep a tight focus on hate and pay attention to phases in a fight where lots of adds could spawn as HoTs tend to be threat magnets and if you and your tanks are not positioned well there is a potential for you to go splat.
- Learning to make a habit of letting your hots bring the non tanks hp back up after aoes and not wasting mana though sometimes burst aoe healing is needed, it's the job of the player to learn the difference.

They are very different play styles but both are very fun.

Aeana

Yeah, I know all about the playstyles of both. I mained SCH in 2.0 (got FC first Twintania kill, etc. with it), and I mained AST in 3.0 and I liked it even when it was considered "bad." I don't enjoy DPSing even a little bit, but I've always done it when I had the time because speeding things up helps everyone. Either way, I just have to decide which to go with this go around.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
If you don't like dpsing, I'd say go AST, people are typically going to expect the SCH to be DPSing and will save you the headache of dealing with those people getting on your case if you are not in the mood that day

I've never seen it happen before but I wonder what the response would be to a tank that does their threat combo till they get aggro then afks/watches netflix until it's time to throw out another one.

Squishy3

i get the fun game of suffering through pf hell or a weekend static with people i don't know since i'm on sub status in my current static now for stormblood. wheeeeee

Kenai

Yeah, I know all about the playstyles of both. I mained SCH in 2.0 (got FC first Twintania kill, etc. with it), and I mained AST in 3.0 and I liked it even when it was considered "bad." I don't enjoy DPSing even a little bit, but I've always done it when I had the time because speeding things up helps everyone. Either way, I just have to decide which to go with this go around.

I switched to AST from SCH in 3.0 and haven't looked back. They've received nothing but substantial buffs since then and even when Balance is toned down they should still be in a good spot, SB shenanigans notwithstanding. I'm also not a huge fan of DPSing while healing, but since we spend a lot of time card shuffling in addition to normal healing duties we won't get yelled at for low DPS.

SB should give us more time to keep up DOTs assuming nothing happens to the ones we have now that Cleric Stance dancing won't be a thing, but since I assume MP problems will still be an issue like at the start of every expansion I don't expect we will need (or be able to) to keep up much more than that til the content is on farm again outside choice DPS windows.

And we have the best damn spell effects in the game so there's that too.

KuroNeeko

Finally reached level 50 after way too many characters and restarts!..

This is my first 50 and I did it as NIN. I don't feel like NIN (up to 50), is particularly strong or useful, but I just love the aesthetic, the flips while jumping, the mudra (especially dotan lol), and will probably take it up to 60 as well.

How do the other job quests compare to NIN? I've done SCH / SMN up to 42, and I like the SCH line (but not the SUM one).

Looking at deciding a main, I think NIN will be one and hopefully BRD and AST will be too more. I'm really interested in trying SAM / DRK as well though!

Two MSQs away from finishing 2.0 and it feels like there is still way, waaaay too much stuff to do in this game. I don't know how / when I'll get to Stormblood lol.

I switched to AST from SCH in 3.0 and haven't looked back. They've received nothing but substantial buffs since then and even when Balance is toned down they should still be in a good spot, SB shenanigans notwithstanding. I'm also not a huge fan of DPSing while healing either, but since we spend a lot of time card shuffling in addition to normal healing duties we won't get yelled at for low DPS.

SB should give us more time to keep up DOTs assuming nothing happens to the ones we have now that Cleric Stance dancing won't be a thing, but since I assume MP problems will still be an issue like at the start of every expansion I don't expect we will need to keep up much more than that til the content is on farm again.

Yeah, I started as a SCH as well, but have been dying to play AST. I don't leaving the healing to a fairy. Still need to actually reach Heavensward, but I knew from the moment I saw the class reveal that I wanted to go AST.

Valor

Why couldn't you find out where they're keeping the turret buddies. Think of their sacrifices.

All these teases about actual information. A shame they couldn't give those in the actual letter :| Just a sheet with all the tooltips and a giant WIP please.
Yeah seriously. MCH I wanna know the most about. That and Dragoon. I feel Dragoon is getting the shaft. Pun unintended, but accepted nonetheless.

Don't do this to me Galen, I'm already too excited about bowmage's welcome demise.
Welp. I mean. It's back?

Stormblood was a mistake.
EMBRACE YOUR RANGED OVERLORDS.

<derisive reaction gif>
The more you push me away the closer I long to be~

Hey man, I was right there in the muck in 3.0 Turned out MCH just felt better this tier for me. Oops. I played that class from 2.0 until 3.2 or something. Bard's rework is really appealing to me as someone who doesn't like being a strictly support dps.

Are they actual Archers again or still pseudo caster support DOT watchers? I leveled a MCH to 60 just to play a proper ranged DPS.
I feel that they're actually becoming more of a traditional "Bard" in that a lot of their new actions focus on music. The song they're playing changes the way that they dps for 30 seconds at a time. Bloodletter resets are no longer a thing. Unless you're playing Ballad. That's one example.

If the new timers on the new Venomous/Windbite are correct there are a lot less dot watchers than before, since they're 30s instead of 18. Much less worrying about upkeep, more about shooting arrows and singing songs.

Yeah seriously. MCH I wanna know the most about. That and Dragoon. I feel Dragoon is getting the shaft. Pun unintended, but accepted nonetheless.

Welp. I mean. It's back?

EMBRACE YOUR RANGED OVERLORDS.

The more you push me away the closer I long to be~

Hey man, I was right there in the muck in 3.0 Turned out MCH just felt better this tier for me. Oops. I played that class from 2.0 until 3.2 or something. Bard's rework is really appealing to me as someone who doesn't like being a strictly support dps.

I feel that they're actually becoming more of a traditional "Bard" in that a lot of their new actions focus on music. The song they're playing changes the way that they dps for 30 seconds at a time. Bloodletter resets are no longer a thing. Unless you're playing Ballad. That's one example.

If the new timers on the new Venomous/Windbite are correct there are a lot less dot watchers than before, since they're 30s instead of 18. Much less worrying about upkeep, more about shooting arrows and singing songs.

Got any details on Paladin/Warrior/Dark Knight?

Aeana

I switched to AST from SCH in 3.0 and haven't looked back. They've received nothing but substantial buffs since then and even when Balance is toned down they should still be in a good spot, SB shenanigans notwithstanding. I'm also not a huge fan of DPSing while healing, but since we spend a lot of time card shuffling in addition to normal healing duties we won't get yelled at for low DPS.

SB should give us more time to keep up DOTs assuming nothing happens to the ones we have now that Cleric Stance dancing won't be a thing, but since I assume MP problems will still be an issue like at the start of every expansion I don't expect we will need (or be able to) to keep up much more than that til the content is on farm again outside choice DPS windows.

Yeah I know you've been AST for a while. I'm honestly not sure exactly what all of the major changes have been since I quit, but the bits and pieces I heard sounded really good.

I'll just have to mess around and put some thought into it. I really enjoy both!

Now that I think about it, though, I used to get a lot of enjoyment out of doing things with both SCH and AST that people said would be "impossible." I think that was really the whole reason I enjoyed AST in 3.0, because people kept saying it was crap and couldn't do x or y, so then I'd go do x or y and feel good about it. In 2.0, SCH had a certain reputation for being less capable than WHM during certain stretches of content, and I ended up solo healing a lot of content and had a blast.

So maybe I just need to wait and see which healer people think is worst this go around and play that.

Edzi

Everyone seems really high on AST so I'm thinking of giving the job another go. I only did the first job quest, and dismissed it as lame... But I've enjoyed healing with SCH enough where I kinda wanna continue leveling the other healer classes too.

Everyone seems really high on AST so I'm thinking of giving the job another go. I only did the first job quest, and dismissed it as lame... But I've enjoyed healing with SCH enough where I kinda wanna continue leveling the other healer classes too.

Insta shield/heal will spoil you.

A changelog without numbers would do fine too but seems it'll be a gamble.

Iirc for heavensward there was some datamining going on during the long maintenance before the expansion but doesn't leave much time to figure out the new playstyles of classes. Wish they released a bit more info on each class. I mean there's still time but in the live letter they said stuff like "look forward to new stuff when you play it" and what not so guess they'll keep it secret.

Will probably stick to SCH/PLD/MNK and then add RDM or BLM depending on which looks more interesting. Or maybe bard.

iammeiam

We should get an info dump whenever the press embargo is up, although there were sizable changes in the HW stuff between press preview and eventual release, and then E3 in the few days before early access will get us reports of any big changes in what should be the final numbers.

Then we'll get datamining right before EA, at least a few wildly inaccurate tooltips, and a total cluster as people jump into and out of the new jobs wildly. And then the best part--PFs for the EX Primals randomly banning jobs everyone's heard are bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom