• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Wow, never thought of that. Thanks for the heads up.

Mind you I would never leave my lala but still good to know if I wanted to experiment or something...

I switched my Roegadyn from female to male and was surprised to see the items didn't switch with me. Nor was I able to redo the events (i.e. Lightning) for the other gender. So, I'm fucked.

I really dislike how attributes and resistances are handled in this game. Too much weight on the primary attribute and resistances feel completely meaningless.

I completely agree with this. But how would you have resistances be handled without possibly skewing attribute gear to assign resistance bonuses.

Kintaro

I completely agree with this. But how would you have resistances be handled without possibly skewing attribute gear to assign resistance bonuses.

Either ditch them or create encounters or gear where resistances matter. However, because the game has completely ditched elemental weakness/strengths in players and mobs, they should just ditch them altogether. I mean, in theory, in order to take on the Primals, we should be looking for any way to stack elemental resistance gear/etc in order to even stand a chance. But no. Fire spells hurt Ifrit the same as Ice/water does.

Isaccard

I switched my Roegadyn from female to male and was surprised to see the items didn't switch with me. Nor was I able to redo the events (i.e. Lightning) for the other gender. So, I'm fucked.

Rejoice for even in [sex change, why would you roll a female] the goddess will be with you

Zomba13

What will we get from CT/AK/WP when Phil tomes are gone? Will we just get the Myth tomes? Will we get myth tomes equal to the Phil tome amount? What about Phil tome mats? Will they get moved to myth tomes?

So many questions. 2.2 is a mystery.

Teknoman

Either ditch them or create encounters or gear where resistances matter. However, because the game has completely ditched elemental weakness/strengths in players and mobs, they should just ditch them altogether. I mean, in theory, in order to take on the Primals, we should be looking for any way to stack elemental resistance gear/etc in order to even stand a chance. But no. Fire spells hurt Ifrit the same as Ice/water does.

I wouldnt mind having to search for fire resistant armor/acc and ice/water weapons to beat up on Ifrit and so on. Would have made things abit more interesting. Boost resist to stand a chance, then learn the fight to actually win.

Caster limit break 3 really does not seem that blinding, are people really that sensitive to that during dodging moments?
Last time I did Titan HM, when the BLM lv3 was cast only me, the tank and another player survived. The LB user couldn't move to dodge, and all the other players died to plumes. I saw them shining in the middle of the explosion and ran away, but who knows what the others saw due to different PC/PS3 specs...

Last time I did Titan HM, when the BLM lv3 was cast only me, the tank and another player survived. The LB user couldn't move to dodge, and all the other players died to plumes. I saw them shining in the middle of the explosion and ran away, but who knows what the others saw due to different PC/PS3 specs...

You did well to run, you ran away from the light at the end of the tunnel and they did not. You escaped death.

aceface

What will we get from CT/AK/WP when Phil tomes are gone? Will we just get the Myth tomes? Will we get myth tomes equal to the Phil tome amount? What about Phil tome mats? Will they get moved to myth tomes?

So many questions. 2.2 is a mystery.

Looks like I'm not farming tomes for a week. Because if myth tomes are all of a sudden going to become as plentiful as philosophy, what's the point.

Munba

When we were doing treasure map parties to raise funds for FC housing, one of my first maps/chests had one in it. We hadn't established any rules regarding minion drops and at the time no one knew they would be that rare or worth anything of significant value so we all rolled on it. The person that won used it.

I doubt we did over 500 total maps but probably a pretty large number somewhere in-between and we never saw another one.

I just recently got a Tonberry Minion and it took me less than 50 maps. I'm trying to get the Tiny Bulb now and then I'lll start farming for the Tonberry again to sell or give to friends. Will it let you attempt the Piesteskin map solo or with a Chocobo? It might be worth trying to farm that one solo but the rarity seems pretty high.

Which map drops tiny bulb?

Kintaro

Rejoice for even in [sex change, why would you roll a female] the goddess will be with you

I like Roegadyn females. T-T

I honestly wouldn't mind if I could rock Lightning's hair and outfit as a cross dressing male Roe.

Clipse

Looks like I'm not farming tomes for a week. Because if myth tomes are all of a sudden going to become as plentiful as philosophy, what's the point.
Yup, same here. This week will be the first week I don't cap Myth since I first hit 50. Got my weekly CT loot last night so I'm all set for the week.

Taruranto

why would you want to dress like lighting or that snow dude anyway

WolvenOne

Gonna still farm Myth and Phil Tomes, because I'm planning to take advantage of the new market for Myth Tome Mats. XD

EDIT: Hopefully the exchange rate between Phil and Myth Tomes is good. If it is I'll effectively walk into 2.2 with more more Myth then you can technically hold, and I'll be able to really take advantage of those Myth Tome prices. I'm hopeful that at least for awhile they'll go for the same price Phil Tome Mats did in 2.0. 20K a pop would be sweeeet. XD

Edit Edit: I'm expecting Myth to remain a valuable commodity at least for awhile, for a few reasons. First, people are going to need it for Relic Trains, and anybody in sub-lvl90 armor is going to continue upgrading at least for awhile. Second, because it'll likely take weeks to upgrade to AF2 or Relic Zodiac's, the crafted Lvl90 gear is going to be at least initially the most sensible upgrade, at least for anyone with Gil to burn. As presumably it'll allow players to attach Materia to the armor. Eventually the whole server will have ran out of uses for Myth and everyone will be putting it into Myth Tome items for resell, but until then I expect the price of Myth Tome Mats to be decent.

Kenai

I wouldnt mind having to search for fire resistant armor/acc and ice/water weapons to beat up on Ifrit and so on. Would have made things abit more interesting. Boost resist to stand a chance, then learn the fight to actually win.

I dunno. I like it in theory, but in actual practice that would totally screw over a few classes that make heavy use of certain elemental attacks with no real choice on switching up spells (like BLM) . It seems unfairly stacked against them since while every class uses a few different damage types the majority of them all focus on one certain type of damage. unless you want to add things like Blunt resistant mobs for MNKs, piercing resistant for DRGs/BRDs, threat resistant mobs for tanks, ect.

I mean, just imagine an endboss like Twintania randomly being resistant against Fire and being weak against piercing, which would be a "realistic" scenario. That'd basically kick out all BLM and MNK mains from Turn 5, and DRGs/BRD would be stacked. Even if BLMs could build Magic pen or whatever, ithat'd mean taking away from their current primary/damage stats to do so, so they'd never catch a class able to take advantage of the boss's weakness. That is just a general example, imagine getting kicked from a 4 man DF after waiting an hour in queue just because it had mobs/bosses with heavy resistance to your damage type. This type of thing happened a lot in FF11 and several older MMOs like EQ and it led to certain classes being much less desirable and wanted for all kinds of content. Even if it makes the fights more boring in some ways I much prefer this game's point of allowing skilled people to play the class they want without being shunned (more or less).

Not calling you out personally, but I think a lot of people on GAF underestimate the amount of people wiping on the game's hardest content now. Even in this thread, some of the people struggling to find statics/groups capable of clearing stuff can be heartbreaking (and the amount of people calling the content easy while wiping to it on any given attempt is...weird?). I'd like more gear progression variety to be sure, but I think for the time the game's been out, the content's difficulty has been fine. We just need more content period, which is coming.

There's also the problem of there not realistically being enough space to hold full sets of resist gear on top of what we already have to level crafts and various jobs, plus everything else like vanity and holiday stuff. I have more room than some, but still...

Guess I'll max out my Philo tomes before next Thursday...somehow.

And microtransactions...ewwwww. It was bad enough in some F2P MMO's I played, I don't want to see it again.

Teknoman

I dunno. I like it in theory, but in actual practice that would totally screw over a few classes that make heavy use of certain elemental attacks with no real choice on switching up spells (like BLM) . It seems unfairly stacked against them since while every class uses a few different damage types the majority of them all focus on one certain type of damage. unless you want to add things like Blunt resistant mobs for MNKs, piercing resistant for DRGs/BRDs, threat resistant mobs for tanks, ect.

I mean, just imagine an endboss like Twintania randomly being resistant against Fire and being weak against piercing, which would be a "realistic" scenario. That'd basically kick out all BLM and MNK mains from Turn 5, and DRGs/BRD would be stacked. Even if BLMs could build Magic pen or whatever, ithat'd mean taking away from their current primary/damage stats to do so, so they'd never catch a class able to take advantage of the boss's weakness. That is just a general example, imagine getting kicked from a 4 man DF after waiting an hour in queue just because it had mobs/bosses with heavy resistance to your damage type. This type of thing happened a lot in FF11 and several older MMOs like EQ and it led to certain classes being much less desirable and wanted for all kinds of content. Even if it makes the fights more boring in some ways I much prefer this game's point of allowing skilled people to play the class they want without being shunned (more or less).

Not calling you out personally, but I think a lot of people on GAF underestimate the amount of people wiping on the game's hardest content now. Even in this thread, some of the people struggling to find statics/groups capable of clearing stuff can be heartbreaking (and the amount of people calling the content easy while wiping to it on any given attempt is...weird?). I'd like more gear progression variety to be sure, but I think for the time the game's been out, the content's difficulty has been fine. We just need more content period, which is coming.

There's also the problem of there not realistically being enough space to hold full sets of resist gear on top of what we already have to level crafts and various jobs, plus everything else like vanity and holiday stuff. I have more room than some, but still...

Well i definitely see your point there, just like in XI people would stack certain jobs or damage types, while excluding others, sometimes barring progression unless you had a linkshell or close friends to work with. I think I, personally, just miss elemental / dark X holy weaknesses because its been a staple of the FF series forever.

But while elemental resists are in the game, they could stand to make the base damage go down with different elemental aspected rings or resist potions, or make the potions last longer.

WolvenOne

While we're on the subject.

I don't mind Micro Transactions for purely cosmetic items such as Fantasia's, especially if it really is, "micro." Micro transactions for additional retainers seems, odd, especially if you're just using them for inventory management. That's almost akin to paying for 8 inventory pages as opposed to the default 4.

I'm not going to get upset about it though, I haven't maxed out my first retainer yet, (though I really ought to make a second.) So, it'll be awhile before I feel I need a third.

They were supposed to add a third retainer in a previous patch. I hope they at least put that one in for free.

I hope so, too. There are three main city-states...so having three retainers to deploy (one to each city) just makes sense. Any more after that can require microtransactions; I'd be fine with that.

Also, good to hear all the news about relic weapons. And, nice, they're entering production on the first official expansion...so, we'll see it a year from now at the earliest? Maybe?

WolvenOne

I hope so, too. There are three main city-states...so having three retainers to deploy (one to each city) just makes sense. Any more after that should require you to pay; I'm fine with that.

Also, good to hear all the news about relic weapons. And, nice, they're entering production on the first official expansion...so, we'll see it a year from now at the earliest? Maybe?

At the earliest. I'm expecting it to be closer to 18 months. So, summer 2015, ish. That's just because they said they're in early production of the expansion now. I'd think an expansion the size of 2.0 would take at least 18 months to develop, especially if they're putting out regular content upgrades between now and then. I most definitely could be wrong though.

Zomba13

While we're on the subject.

I don't mind Micro Transactions for purely cosmetic items such as Fantasia's, especially if it really is, "micro." Micro transactions for additional retainers seems, odd, especially if you're just using them for inventory management. That's almost akin to paying for 8 inventory pages as opposed to the default 4.

I'm not going to get upset about it though, I haven't maxed out my first retainer yet, (though I really ought to make a second.) So, it'll be awhile before I feel I need a third.

Paying for Fantasia is ok, same as paying for server transfers. It's an extra, added thing and in other MMOs that offer those services it's also paid for. Paying for more retainers isn't cool though. I can see it being fine in a F2P environment or a one time pay thing (like Guild Wars) but it kinda sucks here. It'd be like paying for additional moogle storage or gobbie bags in FFXI.

WolvenOne

Just, making a quick little checklist of the sort of content we'd expect from an expansion, if the "content equal to 2.0" statement is to hold true.

• 3 Additional Cities to explore.
  • Four additional regions to explore.
  • Class Quest for each job for levels 50-70, (or whatever the level cap is going to be,) plus Class Quest lines for a few additional Jobs.
  • Three new Primals, or something comparable.
  • Up to Seventeen Dungeons and/or Raids (I'd expect fewer then this, I'd also expect the expansion to have more Raids then 2.0 had.)
  • A big ole heaping handful of main story line content, of course.

Am I forgetting anything obvious?

Kenai

Well i definitely see your point there, just like in XI people would stack certain jobs or damage types, while excluding others, sometimes barring progression unless you had a linkshell or close friends to work with. I think I, personally, just miss elemental / dark X holy weaknesses because its been a staple of the FF series forever.

But while elemental resists are in the game, they could stand to make the base damage go down with different elemental aspected rings or resist potions, or make the potions last longer.

Yea I think they could do more with our personal resist attributes if they are going to stay around. Right now the main thing they are for is a little backstory flavor when you pick your Guardian. My toon has a water guardian so my water resist is a bit higher than normal but I'm sure no one is going to notice in the Leviathan, fight lol.

I think they should rethink their idea of potions in general. The elemental attributes will probably be redone once they figure out how to rethink our base attribute reallocation, since that's pretty bad right now too. Back in1.0 I remember you could pick element attribute points as you levels just like you pick the primaries now so I'm sure it's leftover from that. Hopefully they'll figure out something before the next expansion.

Allard

At the earliest. I'm expecting it to be closer to 18 months. So, summer 2015, ish. That's just because they said they're in early production of the expansion now. I'd think an expansion the size of 2.0 would take at least 18 months to develop, especially if they're putting out regular content upgrades between now and then. I most definitely could be wrong though.

The main difference is they aren't taking an extraordinary amount of time rebuilding a game from the ground up. Content is content, they might need some work for any new content systems coming into place (All but assured at this point with the path they have been hinting at that 3.0 is going to introduce personal/company airships/flying elements), but nothing comes close to rebuilding pathing AI, the full overhaul from the ground up of the visual engine, full rebuild of the entire combat system and consequentially all the jobs/classes retooled, and perhaps most of all the complete rebuild of their server technology. A lot of the work they did rebuilding the game was designed for expansions down the road too so a decent amount of the heavy lifting has already been done before launch of 2.0.

Trying to find the old "2.0 Content Map" but the concept and rebuild phase took up half the 2.0 calendar, the other half was implementation and alpha/beta testing (which took WAY longer then the initial calender referenced by like 4-5 months). My guess is something around E3 or TGS will be expansion announcement with some conceptual ideas (like new classes/jobs being teased, new concept for the expansion and rudimentary look at new zones and concept art), and we see it arrive either late this year or early next year with latest being the summer. They said in an interview recently that they were worried 3.0 would come sooner then they could finish all the work for CT so they were planning to potentially continue CT into 3.0 to give you a bit perspective.

WolvenOne

The main difference is they aren't taking an extraordinary amount of time rebuilding a game from the ground up. Content is content, they might need some work for any new content systems coming into place (All but assured at this point with the path they have been hinting at that 3.0 is going to introduce personal/company airships/flying elements), but nothing comes close to rebuilding pathing AI, the full overhaul from the ground up of the visual engine, full rebuild of the entire combat system and consequentially all the jobs/classes retooled, and perhaps most of all the complete rebuild of their server technology. A lot of the work they did rebuilding the game was designed for expansions down the road too so a decent amount of the heavy lifting has already been done before launch of 2.0.

Trying to find the old "2.0 Content Map" but the concept and rebuild phase took up half the 2.0 calendar, the other half was implementation and alpha/beta testing (which took WAY longer then the initial calender referenced by like 4-5 months). My guess is something around E3 or TGS will be expansion announcement with some conceptual ideas (like new classes/jobs being teased, new concept for the expansion and rudimentary look at new zones and concept art), and we see it arrive either late this year or early next year with latest being the summer. They said in an interview recently that they were worried 3.0 would come sooner then they could finish all the work for CT so they were planning to potentially continue CT into 3.0 to give you a bit perspective.

I had not thought of that. Your right that this time they won't have to rebuild from the ground up, so that should simplify things somewhat.

aceface

According to YoshiP, after launching in China this summer, the next big project they are looking at is the expansion (and after that, DirectX 11 support). I think getting it this year might be a stretch but I think that early next year is definitely possible.

You can't create encounters where resistances matter without completely revamping the Black Mage class.

Isaccard

Just, making a quick little checklist of the sort of content we'd expect from an expansion, if the "content equal to 2.0" statement is to hold true.

• 3 Additional Cities to explore.
  • Four additional regions to explore.
  • Class Quest for each job for levels 50-70, (or whatever the level cap is going to be,) plus Class Quest lines for a few additional Jobs.
  • Three new Primals, or something comparable.
  • Up to Seventeen Dungeons and/or Raids (I'd expect fewer then this, I'd also expect the expansion to have more Raids then 2.0 had.)
  • A big ole heaping handful of main story line content, of course.

Am I forgetting anything obvious?

A blog feature on lodestone would be cool

Kenai

You can't create encounters where resistances matter without completely revamping the Black Mage class.

They might be able to switch between being more resistant against magic in general vs physical and visa versa, but I think they have done that for a few fights already (T4? I think).

WolvenOne

A blog feature on lodestone would be cool

That'd be more a wishlist then content we could definitively extrapolate from the "content equal to 2.0," statement.

Though, as long as we're doing a wishlist of these sorts of features. It'd be nice to essentially blog or tweet statements and progress to lodestone or whatnot, from directly within the game.

Allard

According to YoshiP, after launching in China this summer, the next big project they are looking at is the expansion (and after that, DirectX 11 support). I think getting it this year might be a stretch but I think that early next year is definitely possible.

Depends on the route they take, if they go the WoW route (full Expansion beta testing) and don't announce it till TGS, I don't expect it to launch till Summer of next year. But if they go the FFXI route of not doing any generic content beta testing (The most likely thing till they implement a proper public test server) for the expansion and announce it at E3, I personally see it coming out almost exactly a year from now, with potential to come out in the tail end of this year.

As for what I expect in the new expansion (given what they have said previously). Unless they finally intend to open Ishgard within the next two main patches, I expect Ishgard and the relevant regional expansion content, Ala Mihgo and their regions to finally get implemented. I see the first expansion will be like FFXI Zilaart was to the main game, an expansion designed to fill out relevant parts of the main games world that have yet be filled out alongside new areas hinted at but not shown (I'm still waiting for you open up Western Black Shroud dammit! you have paths and concept released for it just give it to me already!). Also unless they add it in before the expansion I expect the other base class second jobs will get implemented alongside 3-4 new classes with accompanying jobs.

I also expect new content types alongside the usual content dungeon/raid suspects. The aforementioned flying elements alongside content for Ishgard. They had a lot of ideas floating around for what to do with Ishgard. They went from making it a 4th starting locale, to a great PvE city similar to Aht Urghan from FFXI where all 4 class types helped tip the scales of major battle incursions. Who knows what the design for that place is supposed to be now.

WolvenOne

I'm not done with the interview just yet, but, it sounds like the Leviathan Weapon at least will be above the old iLvl cap. Who knows by how much though, could be another ilvl95 like the Allagan Weapons, or could be full on 110. (I'd hope not actually.)

aceface

The PS4 version beta test began on February 22. Can you tell us what the players' reactions were like?

Yoshida: We had a substantial number of downloads of the PS4 version. We haven't publicized the number so I can't say specifically... but one of the main concerns that came up which surprised us was people saying that the UI was small and hard to see. It's actually the same size as the PC version, but it may be a difficult transition when moving from the PS3 version. Because of that, with the next beta test phase that starts April 4, we'll have a UI appearance which is more in line with the PS3 version.

The fact that the outcry about the small text size was surprising/puzzling to them is hilarious.

WolvenOne

I'd be stunned if the first lvl cap raise was higher than 60.

Dunno, I assumed 70 because so far the XIV development team seems to have a taste for increments of 20. Also, unless future Class Quests come a lot more frequently then every 5 levels, 60 probably wouldn't be enough to really be enough to tell a decent story.

Granted, they very well could have a Class Quest at every single level, or whatnot.

The fact that the outcry about the small text size was surprising/puzzling to them is hilarious.

They had the exact same problem with the Xbox 360 beta of FFXI. The text was super tiny in the first phase same as PC version, people complained, then it got as big as the PS2 version text.

You know what they say about history repeating itself.

WolvenOne

Final thoughts on the expansion. I'm thinking that sometime roughly after the 3.0 expansion hits, we'll finally see Ifrit/Titan/Ruda Nightmare Modes. They'll be pretty desperate for content that's challenging for people at the new Level Cap, and recycling is of course the quickest and easiest way to fill that immediate need.

dcye

Dunno, I assumed 70 because so far the XIV development team seems to have a taste for increments of 20. Also, unless future Class Quests come a lot more frequently then every 5 levels, 60 probably wouldn't be enough to really be enough to tell a decent story.

Granted, they very well could have a Class Quest at every single level, or whatnot.

They plan on running this game for a decade, they aren't giving you 20 levels in the first expansion.

Allard

Final thoughts on the expansion. I'm thinking that sometime roughly after the 3.0 expansion hits, we'll finally see Ifrit/Titan/Ruda Nightmare Modes. They'll be pretty desperate for content that's challenging for people at the new Level Cap, and recycling is of course the quickest and easiest way to fill that immediate need.

I'm expecting Omega Weapon either at the end of 2.0 or start of 3.0. New fight with all 6 elemental Primals fused into it including Levi, Ramuh and shiva :p. Or I suppose they could also wait and make it a bigger fight sometime in a later expansion and use the FFV/FFXI style appearance.

WolvenOne

I'd actually be disappointed if they rolled out the Omega weapon as the endboss for 3.0, as it'd feel a bit too much like a rehash to me.

As for the final 2.0 battle. Well, eventually we've got to have a fight against Bahamut proper. Though I haven't beaten T5 yet, so I don't know what the final cutscenes say about the prospect of seeing that fight anytime soon.

Player: "Pft, I don't need that third retainer, I got enough space as it is."
---
SE: "We have re-implemented elemental resist type encounters into the game. Everyone will need specific resist sets for certain fights going forward."
---
Player: "Hmm, while I was trying to store all of this resist stuff, I realized I'm out of retainer space..."
---
SE: "That'll be 10$ for a third retainer please."

^ That scenario is just waiting to happen.

Then ditch resistances or revamp the BLM class. Or both. I don't really like what they did to the Black Mage class. =P

Well, at least it's a step up from FFXI BLM.

WolvenOne

Player: "Pft, I don't need that third retainer, I got enough space as it is."
---
SE: "We have re-implemented elemental resist type encounters into the game. Everyone will need specific resist sets for certain fights going forward."
---
Player: "Hmm, while I was trying to store all of this resist stuff, I realized I'm out of retainer space..."
---
SE: "That'll be 10$ for a third retainer please."

^ That scenario is just waiting to happen.

I don't think it'll happen. So far Square has seemingly gone through great lengths to make this game accessible to less invested/experienced players. Making fights so heavily dependent on elemental resistances and weaknesses would all but undo that, it'd be a near 180 in terms of game design.

I could see maybe, soft-weakness/resistance worked in, but nothing that'd either make current classes unplayable for certain enemies, or, would require users to keep a large amount of extra equipment on hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom