• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You think so? It's dramatically simplified from FF11 BLM. Fewer abilities, elements don't matter, no concept of magic burst. In what way is it a step up?

Well there are fewer abilities, elements don't mater, and there is no concept of magic burst.

WolvenOne

So, I realize we don't have solid information yet, but assuming AF2, Allagan 2, and Relic Zodiak gear progression works similarly to Myth/Allagan Gear Progression in 2.0, what is every ones tentative upgrade path?

I'm planning to give the tank I'm tentatively planning to run Coil2 with, first dibs on tanking gear, since he's typically maining the fights. However, since I'm Tank I think armor is more important in the long term, especially if Leviathan does indeed drop a weapon that's above lvl90. Yeah I know Twin does too, but the Allagan Axe doesn't have any Parry, so I'm not sure it's actually an upgrade. <_<;;

So, I think unless things look very different, I'm going to be going after AF2 and the Leviathan weapon first. Which means it'll probably be weeks before my character really gets a major upgrade, but, that was par for the course in 2.0.

I made a random mancat today to see their animations. They're mildly amusing. I feel conflicted now.

It is ok. Curiosity is not to be stifled, but if you grow more conflicted with your choices of possibly making a man cat character please reach out to us for help so we can at least try to change your mind.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
So, I realize we don't have solid information yet, but assuming AF2, Allagan 2, and Relic Zodiak gear progression works similarly to Myth/Allagan Gear Progression in 2.0, what is every ones tentative upgrade path?

I'm planning to give the tank I'm tentatively planning to run Coil2 with, first dibs on tanking gear, since he's typically maining the fights. However, since I'm Tank I think armor is more important in the long term, especially if Leviathan does indeed drop a weapon that's above lvl90. Yeah I know Twin does too, but the Allagan Axe doesn't have any Parry, so I'm not sure it's actually an upgrade. <_<;;

So, I think unless things look very different, I'm going to be going after AF2 and the Leviathan weapon first. Which means it'll probably be weeks before my character really gets a major upgrade, but, that was par for the course in 2.0.

It's hard to plan out anything without solid information. Another reason why I'm pretty frustrated over their silence so close to the patch release.

Taruranto

Well, at least it's a step up from FFXI BLM.

Yeah, no.

FFXI BLM was one of the most complex job and it was faithful to the FF tradition, XIV BLM barely feels like you are playing a mage job.

69nuCIg.jpg

Kinda exaggerated but gets the point at home.

WolvenOne

It's hard to plan out anything without solid information. Another reason why I'm pretty frustrated over their silence so close to the patch release.

Yeah, really wish they'd just unveil all the armor and such we could potentially get already, so I could make a more solid battle plan. Following the basic battleplan I used for 2.0, makes sense, but I'm running on an lot of assumptions right now. :p

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
It is ok. Curiosity is not to be stifled, but if you grow more conflicted with your choices of possibly making a man cat character please reach out to us for help so we can at least try to change your mind.

I'm making one in the character creator right now. Haven't fantasia'd yet though, but I'm seriously considering it.

You think so? It's dramatically simplified from FF11 BLM. Fewer abilities, elements don't matter, no concept of magic burst. In what way is it a step up?

I should mention my opinion is based off FFXI BLM from Zilart to Treasures of Aht Urhgan (I totally butchered this spelling like 5 times before I goggled it). So I'm not sure if things drastically changed since then but...

Even with elements mattering in FFXI; doing sky, sea or any of the King Camps (any fight with decent length to it, basically) as a Blm was still super yawn territory. The whole idea of having to sit down midfight for periods of time just to recoup MP created a very bland experience to me. Only fun I had as a blm in FFXI was when I was a part of the Stun rotation for fights like Cerberus. Ability wise, if you take out all of the fluff (Shock, Rasp, Choke etc. stuff that Rdm would only have hope in landing end game), and factor in where the cap is at the moment in FFXIV, they even out quite a bit.

As for magic burst, I'll give you that, that was a really neat concept that I dearly miss (hell, skillchains in general I wish we had still). But if I had to take everything I disliked about FFXI Blm in order to gain magic burst back, I can't say I would.

FFXIV Blm with magic burst would be godly though@@

Yeah, no.

FFXI BLM was one of the most complex job and it was faithful to the FF tradition, XIV BLM barely feels like you are playing a mage job.

Kinda exaggerated but gets the point at home.

Yeah you're right, hugely exaggerated infact. I'm speaking strictly endgame also, where that chart would be stripped down to 7-8 spells tops.

Edit -- Just to reiterate, I'm in no way saying the current Blm style is really good or anything, I just think it's better then where they used to be in the FFMMO-verse.

teiresias

you can order the soundtrack from cdjapan, yesasia, play-asia and other retailers. don't have to go with their online shop. i played the last release on the PS4 and it played without issues. cd option would have been very nice, i'm a little sad too.

Ah. Good to know. Thanks. Play-Asia it is!

Jayhawk

End-game BLM in FFXI had to worry about when sleep would wear off on mobs in Einherjar and Dynamis, and managing hate and MP is more difficult as BLM without gimping your damage too much in FFXI compared to FFXIV.

Allard

Think the only thing I want for the 'future' of this game to be brought back is variable gear stats/specialty effects. I hate the itemization in this game, its boring and gear acquisition feels more like a level grind then working towards something truly rewarding. I miss having AF gear that enhanced abilities and traits :(. I know why they got rid of them, but I hope they slowly bring them back in some form even if the advantage is only slight. Need to have some type of gear spec customization to work toward other then the primary stat(s) and critical/secondary stat. Not even WoW, the so called inspiration for this games vertical geared nature has flat stats, special gear always had special characteristics, especially armor set bonuses. Hell they had them in 1.0 for gods sake.

WolvenOne

Btw, I'd check this myself, but I'm online via my phone at the moment and can't really check myself.

What is the current typical cost of the various pieces of Materia and equipment you need to make a Relic? I only have a Bravura so far, but I'll probably start work on the Relic for my Dragoon before too long here.

Also, I'm thinking the price of Materia is going to go up now that ilvl90 crafted gear is presumably going to be available. How much do you guys think Materiaprices will jump? Spirit binding might be a worthwhile economic activity again.

BLCKATK

Wish I got to see it. Saw the Siliconera article summary and was really intrigued. I agree with Yoshi-P on a lot of points.

Zomba13

I did it GAF. Put the server transfer request through to move from Sargatanas to Ultros. Will make an alt on Sarg though to pop in on the dots.

Kenai

You don't remember all the bad things? I guess it may have changed after I quit in mid WotG, but 99% of the time endgame a BLM's spell list was Thunder4/Thundaga 3 unless it resisted Thunder/was weak to Ice, then Blizzard4/Blizzaga3 instead. Wait for a Light/Darkness SC to MB, then maybe hit one or two more nukes/Drain/Aspir and then sit, rinse and repeat. I guess Sleepga sometimes too.

At least in this game you have Firestarter/Thundercloud procs to add a bit of excitement. No sitting down to rest MP either. It *is* simpler but I can't call it worse.

So after my group eats a fireball, is it better to use Medica or Cure 3?

Learning Twin alternatively as WHM and SMN is quite the learning experience...

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Got my drg to lvl 46 atm. Getting some of my AF and doing story missions. Fun Fun!

Only played for like 2 weeks now or so? Jeez -.-'

Everyone finally got their Allagan weapons

D10D6D111CB28BE6BB419658550886AD254D25C4

13 kills later!

Honestly in hindsight though, I guess that's not such bad luck. A few weeks ago I was reading horror stories from groups who have been killing him since the twister mechanic was figured out, and quite a few of them was still missing 1-2 weapons. *shudder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom