• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT7| 1000 years DRAGONSONG War

Status
Not open for further replies.

Item Box

Are you fucking kidding me?
905??
QbadP.png

I ain't even on your servers, GAF.

the question is why not? too much drama for you? (pun unintended)

ok that pun was intended

With Heavensward so close and all, do we know whether or not it will be worth it to continue pursuing my Zodiac? I'm currently on the alex farm: 52/75.

Not really but it'll give you something to do during the time until expansion. I'm doing mine just to say I did one relic for 2.0

Frumix

Suffering From Success
With Heavensward so close and all, do we know whether or not it will be worth it to continue pursuing my Zodiac? I'm currently on the alex farm: 52/75.

Zodiac weapon quest line is over. The weapon will serve you pretty well into 50-60 leveling since item level won't exceed 135 right off the bat, but after that it will outlive its usefulness, somewhere below the cap at the earliest, and in 3.1 at the latest. It looks cool, and you will have done the whole Zodiac "story", so you decide whether it's worth your time.

iammeiam

I think your Paeon timing was pretty spot on for a normal scenario, but I do think the Selene played a big part in the inflated usage. Honestly I wouldn't worry a whole lot about it since Selene isn't really normal and unless you're doing hiddenJPSstrats.docx you won't encounter a scenario like that very often.

If you do, and there's no Ninja to goad the MNK, maybe throw Paeon out like 30 seconds earlier?

See I think if I move Paeon it would make more sense to just drop it as soon as the first add goes down; I get leery about losing the GCD and a half to sing + taking the DPS hit (lololol bard DPS) while the second add is up since we saw liquid hell a few times.

I dunno. I may have completely forgotten which number add was up a few times last night, and am still completely baffled by SCH MP (I'd functioned I the they have stacks = fine for MP philosophy forever, but apparently that's not true), so there were a few times I was just randomly guessing anyway.

Part of it is just that timing out songs is the closest thing I have to trying to strategize so trying to account for different scenarios (Selene, no Ninja, whatever) gives me something to think about.

Kinda on the same boat. I just got a Novus but I'm not sure if I want to sink my precious time on a single weapon. I can use those time to level up my alt and gathering job instead.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Might just order a digital copy of the CE.

So if I have the PC version and Mac version I have to still pay $59.99 for the MAC version? Fuck.

LowParry

Kinda on the same boat. I just got a Novus but I'm not sure if I want to sink my precious time on a single weapon. I can use those times to level up my alt and gathering job instead.

I read that you'll get some sort of advantage finishing up to Zeta. I rather level other jobs at this point and save my gil for the expansion.

scy

See I think if I move Paeon it would make more sense to just drop it as soon as the first add goes down; I get leery about losing the GCD and a half to sing + taking the DPS hit (lololol bard DPS) while the second add is up since we saw liquid hell a few times.

It's free DPS time but P1->P2 transition is a few free ticks if no buffs are up. Just cancel it going into the add itself?

The other thing for that scenario is Goad can be used like ... right after the pull starts and it'll top off the TP fine without waste. An early invig and then a full one later should sustain a full 5m without a Paeon, even with SSPD/Selene/don'tfuckingfracturebro. At that point it's more about the Ninja's TP pool I think and not the Monk.

...or the tank but who cares about me.

Edit: Without Ninja+Monk, just never sing hohoho but, yeah, probably P1->P2 transition or after first add for a few ticks.

Zodiac weapon quest line is over. The weapon will serve you pretty well into 50-60 leveling since item level won't exceed 135 right off the bat, but after that it will outlive its usefulness, somewhere below the cap at the earliest, and in 3.1 at the latest. It looks cool, and you will have done the whole Zodiac "story", so you decide whether it's worth your time.

So, as a person who basically just started working on Atma, how far should I even go in the upgrade process? Is Zodiac (or something equivalent) pretty much a prereq for clearing FCoB? I think I would rather prep some alts or start working on other gear while the expansion drops.

Valor

I would argue tank before Ninja. Typically I'm sitting fine for the duration of phase 2. I never even think about my TP usage after my first invig. Maybe that's because Ash is playing paeons or something in p2. I'm not even sure.

Basically I never have TP issues in 13 as Ninja, so either I'm doing something wrong or I'm finally able to take the bard for granted.

Edit: I still say it's best to paeon after the second add is dead (you can skip a gcd when the hp is whittling down to empty and just paeon through that bit) Then start singing ballad or something during jiggaflare. Foe's for Twin Jr and whatever is needed in p4.

So, as a person who basically just started working on Atma, how far should I even go in the upgrade process? Is Zodiac (or something equivalent) pretty much a prereq for clearing FCoB? I think I would rather prep some alts or start working on other gear while the expansion drops.

Zodiac is most definitely not needed for FCoB.

If you're just started on Atma, then you can probably go with a Shiva weapon instead since you won't be getting an equivalent relic for a long while.

"No" answer:
- The information about what role Zodiac will have in the expansion is sketchy at best, so "worth it" is a big gamble.
- The i120/i130 weapons that you need a tomestone for will become widely available at the end of the month and are a decent upgrade if you don't have one already, so if you just want a stronger weapon and you're not doing Final Coil, there's that.
- If you are doing Final Coil, you might as well try for the i135 Dreadwyrm weapon and skip all the tedious Alexandrite/light/dungeon drop farming.
- It's a lot of effort and time.

"Maybe" answer:
- The relic grind is Something To Do, so if you don't hate it and don't mind a grind, might as well keep it on the back burner.

"Yes" answer:
- Zetas are the best weapon in the game right now
by a small margin
- If there are further meaningful plans for them in Heavensward, it'll be a pain having to go back to A Realm Reborn to complete your relic when you could be killing dragons with cyberdragoons in Ishgard, assuming that the quest stays the same.
- If you're not doing Coil, it's the only other way to get an i135 weapon, if that matters to you.
- Some of the tomestone options are really bad and some of the Dreadwyrm weapons are not fully amazing, if you like to min/max.
- It's something to do in the time spent waiting for HW.
- If you're invested in it already, you might as well finish. It might be good for levelling to 60 in HW too.
- They glow.

I would argue tank before Ninja. Typically I'm sitting fine for the duration of phase 2. I never even think about my TP usage after my first invig. Maybe that's because Ash is playing paeons or something in p2. I'm not even sure.

Basically I never have TP issues in 13 as Ninja, so either I'm doing something wrong or I'm finally able to take the bard for granted.

Edit: I still say it's best to paeon after the second add is dead (you can skip a gcd when the hp is whittling down to empty and just paeon through that bit) Then start singing ballad or something during jiggaflare. Foe's for Twin Jr and whatever is needed in p4.

he does for a bit sometimes. also no response to the 1st page

Zodiac is most definitely not needed for FCoB.

If you're just started on Atma, then you can probably go with a Shiva weapon instead since you won't be getting an equivalent relic for a long while.

Well, by "just started", I actually mean 8/12. I think I'll finish this up since I'm almost done, then just say screw this quest line and go back to advancing the story. Thanks.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
1.0 works just as well, doesn't it?

If you can still do the free upgrade from 1.0 to 2.0 account, then it should work.
You'll have to do all the Main Story Quests in 2.55 to access Heavensward storyline anyway and you can bet Angary's collection of hats boatload of features will be locked behind it.

LaneDS

- The i120/i130 weapons that you need a tomestone for will become widely available at the end of the month and are a decent upgrade if you don't have one already, so if you just want a stronger weapon and you're not doing Final Coil, there's that.

Is that confirmed? Nice, if so.

Giving up after I complete the last couple books. Since coming back to the game the relic grind has been the thing I think is least enjoyable for me to work on (whereas the rest is pretty great!).

I think I'm going digital CE. The dragon statue doesn't interest me that much although the art book would be nice.

My song queue for T13

- Foe + BV at beginning (like usual)
- Short Paeon during 2nd add when all oGCD on CD, stop Paeon when one of oGCD is ready (usually Raging Strike).
- Short Ballad during Giga + DB, stop when adds pop
- Foe on Twin
- Whatever needed during P4

Shy Fingers

Banned
Thanks for all the answers on Zodiac guys!

I already have the Augmented Ironworks weapon, so I'll just continue on doing it as something to pass the time rather than actively working for it.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
If you can still do the free upgrade from 1.0 to 2.0 account, then it should work.
You'll have to do all the Main Story Quests in 2.0 to access Heavensward storyline anyway and you can bet Angary's collection of hats boatload of features will be locked behind it.

You can't just jump directly to the expansion pack?

Like I got 2.0, level 30, not much but still. So I would have to complete 2.0 before playing the expansion?

Giving up after I complete the last couple books. Since coming back to the game the relic grind has been the thing I think is least enjoyable for me to work on (whereas the rest is pretty great!).

I think I'm going digital CE. The dragon statue doesn't interest me that much although the art book would be nice.

I got the ARR CE and I don't think I've opened the art book. Statues and other physical things from other CE's just collect dust. No shame in getting digital.

Like I got 2.0, level 30, not much but still. So I would have to complete 2.0 before playing the expansion?

It's unclear. You have to complete the last story quest they're adding, that much is certain, it is unclear wether or not you have to do everything else before too or not. You won't be able to do Heavensward stuff at 30, that's for sure, and you'd most likely need to finish the 2.0 questline on your way to 50, but not sure about the 2.1 to 2.5 stuff other than that last step. Maybe, sounds pretty annoying to be honest for new players as there's a lot of dungeons and some of them have shitty queues even now(like the newest trial Chrysallys).

I'd highly recommend playing the game between now and the release and catching up on the story, if only that, just in case of. You can do it pretty casually at a decent pace just running one dungeon a day for the bonus. Otherwise you might have to wait at 50 for a while doing pretty crappy quests until you can go into Heavensward. I guess you'll still gain xp though, so that's something.

Sorry, that might be a mistake actually. I had a quick look and didn't see it flat out confirmed. However, given that WoD's lockout is going to be removed, I'd be surprised if the tomestone weren't added at this point.
Incidentally, if you want to plan for this chance, it might be better to save a Carbontwine, as there's no telling if it'll be an item drop or a weekly quest reward.

LaneDS

I got the ARR CE and I don't think I've opened the art book. Statues and other physical things from other CE's just collect dust. No shame in getting digital.

Yeah, and the Heavensward CE is gigantic by comparison. I like my physical CE for ARR (I actually tossed my 1.0 CE which was a super lazy CE) and did spend a little time going through the extra content but just don't have room for another giant box.

If the statue was, say, a character in one of the cooler armor sets (like Gaius or a DRK) I'd probably bite. Still need to look up what the Blu-ray contains, but I doubt it'll swing my opinion much.

Sorry, that might be a mistake actually. I had a quick look and didn't see it flat out confirmed. However, given that WoD's lockout is going to be removed, I'd be surprised if the tomestone weren't added at this point.
Incidentally, if you want to plan for this chance, it might be better to save a Carbontwine, as there's no telling if it'll be an item drop or a weekly quest reward.

Ah, no worries. Hopefully that'll be the case but I won't be bothered if it doesn't actually happen.

Tiops

Yay, a new thread to make stupid questions.

Let's make the first one then: I currently have 5 DoH classes at 50, and will soon start the hard part of the process. I found some guides to see how should I progress on it for the star itens and beyond, and they say what equipment and I need and which I should meld, but they don't say what I should meld and how much stats I need (I can only find the threshold for 4-star crafting, and I believe it will take some time to get there).

So... how should I proceed with these melds?

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
It's unclear. You have to complete the last story quest they're adding, that much is certain, it is unclear wether or not you have to do everything else before too or not. You won't be able to do Heavensward stuff at 30, that's for sure, and you'd most likely need to finish the 2.0 questline on your way to 50, but not sure about the 2.1 to 2.5 stuff other than that last step. Maybe, sounds pretty annoying to be honest for new players as there's a lot of dungeons and some of them have shitty queues even now(like the newest trial Chrysallys).

I'd highly recommend playing the game between now and the release and catching up on the story, if only that, just in case of. You can do it pretty casually at a decent pace just running one dungeon a day for the bonus. Otherwise you might have to wait at 50 for a while doing pretty crappy quests until you can go into Heavensward. I guess you'll still gain xp though, so that's something.

Alright thanks for the clear up :)

Kinda sucks that I can't just jump in on the expansion :( oh well

Frumix

Suffering From Success

You will have to complete the main story quests as well as hard modes of Ifrit, Titan and Garuda, which are about 10 hours of gameplay and cutscenes on top of the pre-cap main scenario. You don't have to do anything else and gear level of 95-100 should be sufficient for everything in the main storyline. Heavensward storyline will continue directly from the ongoing serial so that's probably the reason for this decision. The only annoying part to this is that along the way there are instances that aren't done very much because they're story-only.

Alright thanks for the clear up :)

Kinda sucks that I can't just jump in on the expansion :( oh well

Well the expansion starts at 50 anyway, they're not adding content pre50. If you play one of the new class, you'll have to do the old content anyway so you could do your story then, it's just there's a bunch of story between 2.0 and 2.5 that would take a while to complete especially with slower queues for the primal fights and stuff.

Does anyone know if Square Enix Europe processes payments for preorders of physical items immediately or on release?

I.e. If I preorder the physical CE do I have to pay now?

Frumix

Suffering From Success
If i get the ps4 version will i be able to play on pc?

You will also have to buy the PC version separately but the subscription time and the account are 100% shared.
If you plan to play both versions in the expansion you will need to buy separate copies of the expansion as well.

studyguy

Let's make the first one then: I currently have 5 DoH classes at 50, and will soon start the hard part of the process. I found some guides to see how should I progress on it for the star itens and beyond, and they say what equipment and I need and which I should meld, but they don't say what I should meld and how much stats I need (I can only find the threshold for 4-star crafting, and I believe it will take some time to get there).

This is basically it I think.

Honestly if you can find someone to create the artsian gear for you, it's basically a matter of building towards artisan/supra/lucis more than anything. Fortunately now, you can just get artisan and you're set for pretty much anything. As far as where you should start on star crafts, it just depends on what mainhand you have at the time. The bottom of that page has a pretty broad outline of where to start including pre-bis builds if you really want spend some gil. I would just go straight to artisan ASAP.

Once you have your artisan, you can basically make most anything, just build towards supra or lucis from there to make it easier.

you should always look at what the maximum meld each piece of gear can hold. use ffxiv.ariyala.com to look. Then you meld based on how expensive the materia is, so you aren't blowing up 400k materia b/c you melded a 20k materia in the 100% slot. If you don't want to meld, try and get the turn in gear from talon in mor dhona. They are slightly worse than max melded af gear I believe, but you don't have to worry about melds. Also get the ixali gloves w/ 10 oaknots

iammeiam

Worst case I expect Felix to start wanting to do tomestone carries after unlock.

Possibly with his CNJ.

It's free DPS time but P1->P2 transition is a few free ticks if no buffs are up. Just cancel it going into the add itself?

IIRC, Raging tends to come up shortly before push and depending on Earthshaker targeting/how much I hate the healers right then I may have HE/B4B/Barrage still running. But I guess it does all depend on transition timing and whether or not I decide to try eating giga with B4B up/frantically try to click it off or if I hold everything for the add.

And to be fair we did all care a lot whenever you died. Maybe not about your TP, but your death was noted and mourned.

Is there a danger of wasted ticks Paeoning after first add, though? I know post-second is standard, but if it regens the same why wait? Actual sincere question because I'm probably missing something. Pioneering these double-SCH T13 song rotations.

S05pbuK.png

Depressingly neither the US nor EU site show the bonus video disc in a proper case. Unless it's version dependent and PC only gets a DVD in a sleeve or something.

Tiops

This is basically it I think.

Honestly if you can find someone to create the artsian gear for you, it's basically a matter of building towards artisan/supra/lucis more than anything. Fortunately now, you can just get artisan and you're set for pretty much anything. As far as where you should start on star crafts, it just depends on what mainhand you have at the time. The bottom of that page has a pretty broad outline of where to start including pre-bis builds if you really want spend some gil. I would just go straight to artisan ASAP.

Once you have your artisan, you can basically make most anything, just build towards supra or lucis from there to make it easier.
I kinda want to go through all the process and spend as little money as possible, actually. And I also don't have a lot of money :( . My wife is working on her Miner while I work on my Botanist too, so we can be self sufficient with gatherer materials.

you should always look at what the maximum meld each piece of gear can hold. use ffxiv.ariyala.com to look. Then you meld based on how expensive the materia is, so you aren't blowing up 400k materia b/c you melded a 20k materia in the 100% slot. If you don't want to meld, try and get the turn in gear from talon in mor dhona. They are slightly worse than max melded af gear I believe, but you don't have to worry about melds. Also get the ixali gloves w/ 10 oaknots
I need to take a look at this Talan guy, I still didn't talk to him.

scy

IIRC, Raging tends to come up shortly before push and depending on Earthshaker targeting/how much I hate the healers right then I may have HE/B4B/Barrage still running. But I guess it does all depend on transition timing and whether or not I decide to try eating giga with B4B up/frantically try to click it off or if I hold everything for the add.

If buffs are up then, ignore what I said~

Valor

Worst case I expect Felix to start wanting to do tomestone carries after unlock.

Possibly with his CNJ.

Is there a danger of wasted ticks Paeoning after first add, though? I know post-second is standard, but if it regens the same why wait? Actual sincere question because I'm probably missing something. Pioneering these double-SCH T13 song rotations.
Hmm. Maybe I'm just thinking that it'll help sustain for the last add, so maybe it only needs to be up for a short duration. I guess in the end, you're saying if you get 8 ticks of paeon no matter when you sing, it'll be fine as long as those 8 ticks come off. Maybe the best way to decide when to do it is depending on what cooldowns are available for each add. Devil is right in that you'd wanna sing when cds are over and all that. I don't think it really matters if you sing after the first or the second, so I would say as long as you sing after one of them it's probably fine. Second add was when melee dps were getting into the danger zone, but you can totally be preventative instead by singing a bit after the first one.

tl;dr both probably work, so pick it when you feel more comfortable.

edgefusion

What is this dragon statue about in the collectors edition? Every copy should come with a Ravishan Goldhawk statue instead.

#Ravi

Argh I need to find out if they charge for preorders at release or now

If it's at release I'll get a physical one but if it's at the time you preorder then I won't

If only their website wasn't down I could check!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom