• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT7| 1000 years DRAGONSONG War

Status
Not open for further replies.

aceface

Final night of 2.x craziness

aQG6h10.png

BadRNG

you basically get to use 1 combo and geirskogul and thats it if im reading everything right. thats not really what i expected. i really hope it doesn't work like the way im thinking it does or thats seriously underwhelming.
That is the basics but I think you are underselling it, what were you expecting? The combo is extra damage but the main point is keeping Blood of the Dragon uptime. This lets you use Geriskogul which is oGCD and high damage.

So the entire DRG rotation will be built around maximizing Geirskogul use without ever dropping BotD (as every use lowers your current BotD buff by 10s). BotD also increases Jump/Spineshatter damage by 20%.

It's a pretty huge damage increase for DRG, and it will add some skill to the class as you not only need to balance Geirskogul use properly without wasting BotD uptime, but positional potency differences on the 4th combo skill is absolutely massive compared to other positional attack bonuses. 100 to 290! That's not even mentioning the fact 290 potency by itself is very high.

I would not be surprised if DRG surpass MNK as best dps.

blood of the dragon is so underwhelming. what is even the point of that.

im thinking after you complete full thrust or chaos thrust. you pop blood of the dragon and go ham on either wheel or fang they reapply blood of the dragon. Dont even use other skills until you have to reapply heavy thrust or w/e.

Thats what it seems like but idk. The whole blood goes away when another weaponskill is used is throwing me off

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
im thinking after you complete full thrust or chaos thrust. you pop blood of the dragon and go ham on either wheel or fang. Dont even use other skills until you have to reapply heavy thrust or w/e.

Thats what it seems like but idk. The whole blood goes away when another weaponskill is used is throwing me off

You are reading it wrong

Ken

That is the basics but I think you are underselling it, what were you expecting? The combo is extra damage but the main point is keeping Blood of the Dragon uptime. This lets you use Geriskogul which is oGCD and high damage.

So the entire DRG rotation will be built around maximizing Geirskogul use without ever dropping BotD (as every use lowers your current BotD buff by 10s). BotD also increases Jump/Spineshatter damage by 20%.

It's a pretty huge damage increase for DRG, and it will add some skill to the class as you not only need to balance Geirskogul use properly without wasting BotD uptime, but positional potency differences on the 4th combo skill is absolutely massive compared to other positional attack bonuses. 100 to 290! That's not even mentioning the fact 290 potency by itself is very high.

What I don't get is that BotD ends when you use a WS that's not Sharper Fang or Wheeling. Those two extend BotD's duration but I assume you can't reach another Sharper/Wheeling unless you go through step 1 of combos which would end BotD?

BotD > Combo3 > Fang/Wheeling > Geirskogul + Jump Spam the rest of BotD's duration...?

I'm pretty confused lol.

What I don't get is that BotD ends when you use a WS that's not Sharper Fang or Wheeling. Those two extend BotD's duration but I assume you can't reach another Sharper/Wheeling unless you go through step 1 of combos which would end BotD?

BotD > Combo3 > Fang/Wheeling > Geirskogul + Jump Spam the rest of BotD's duration...?

fang/wheel dont say combo action at all, which means they arent part of the combo persay. like you dont need to do other moves infront before you get their bonus. Thats why I think you just mash out fang/wheel as many times as you can while you have blood of the dragon up

Double check that by logging into your account at the Mogstation. I never entered payment info for the Steam trial, but I still had to create a FFXIV account with Square Enix. When I logged into the Mogstation my FFXIV account was clearly labeled "Steam." A PC code will not work with the Steam free trial.

So I just looked at Mogstation and I can't find the word Steam anywhere. This is pretty confusing.

Ken

fang/wheel dont say combo action at all, which means they arent part of the combo persay. like you dont need to do other moves infront before you get their bonus. Thats why I think you just mash out fang/wheel as many times as you can while you have blood of the dragon up

So do Fang/Wheel not consume the Sharper/Enhanced buffs? So Fang > Geirskogul > Fang > Jump > Fang > SSD > Fang > Geirskogul...?

So do Fang/Wheel not consume the Sharper/Enhanced buffs? So Fang > Geirskogul > Fang > spam?

that idk. thats what Im wondering as well. I dont think so since it doesnt say they do, but who knows. itd be pretty dumb if fang/wheel did consume the buffs since like you said you get barely anything out of bLOD

MogCakes

The mindblowing announcements at E3 this past couple of days has made me realize that it's time to move on from my time in XIV to other games I have in my backlog.

And of course I bought the Physical CE of Heavensward. Bahhh

The goes away is describing the buff you get from chaos thrust. Think of it like trying to manage grease lightning and mnk stances

Chaos thrust -> gain buff -> conume with skill and increase duration-> repeat

so youre saying blood of the dragon buff itself doesnt go away when using other weapon skills. only sharper buffs.

that'd make more sense

Stuart444

The goes away is describing the buff you get from chaos thrust. Think of it like trying to manage grease lightning and mnk stances

Chaos thrust -> gain buff -> conume with skill and increase duration-> repeat

I had the same issue and reading the skills again, yeah you're right since that line is only under additional effects. If it was before it, it would mean BotD.

so youre saying blood of the dragon buff itself doesnt go away when using other weapon skills. only sharper buffs

Yes.

I'm guessing my main issue right now is where does Geirskogul fit in the new rotation.

Pre-Cast BotD-H-IDCW-P-TTTF-TTTF

And then the effect ends upon reuse of a different skill other than Fang and claw or Wheeling thrust? so its one wheeling thrust I hit True thrust and boom BOTD is gone?

I'm thinking its just a translator error cause theres no way BOTD should end when I start a new combo with something other than fang and claw or wheeling thrust.

Veldin

The Blood of The Dragon tooltip just has terrible wording. It's easy to see why anyone would be confused as to how it works.

I'm guessing my main issue right now is where does Geirskogul fit in the new rotation.

And then the effect ends upon reuse of a different skill other than Fang and claw or Wheeling thrust? so its one wheeling thrust I hit True thrust and boom BOTD is gone?

I'm thinking its just a translator error cause theres no way BOTD should end when I start a new combo with something other than fang and claw or wheeling thrust.

the botd buff will still be up throughout. you have to manage the duration w/ gierskogul and fang/wheel. only the sharper buffs go away when using other skills.

Stuart444

See above. BotD won't end. Look at the fact that it says "effect ends" under ADDITIONAL effects. Not before. Meaning it applies to the additional effect which has it's own duration and everything.

BadRNG

I'm pretty confused lol.

So do Fang/Wheel not consume the Sharper/Enhanced buffs? So Fang > Geirskogul > Fang > Jump > Fang > SSD > Fang > Geirskogul...?

I think you guys are reading the tooltip wrong, or I am reading the tooltip wrong. Someone is reading it wrong. My understanding is the skill Blood of the Dragon by itself is describing three effects; the BotD itself that increases jump damage/lets you use Geirskogul, the fact that Full Thrust and Chaos Thrust will now give a new effect, and that third new effect itself which is either Sharper Fang and Claw or Enhanced Wheeling Thrust. That third effect is the one that will go away if you use a different weapon skill.

So, for example, it'd go

BotD (15s on buff) > Impulse Drive (13.5) > Disembowel (11) > Chaos Thrust (8.5) PLUS adds buff Sharper Fang and Claw (10s) > at this point you have 10 seconds to use Fang and Claw to get 23.5 seconds on BotD, if you use any GCD other than Fang and Claw you will lose Sharper Fang and Claw and must redo the combo.

Does that make more sense?

Stuart444

BotD (15s on buff) > Impulse Drive (13.5) > Disembowel (11) > Chaos Thrust (8.5) PLUS adds buff Sharper Fang and Claw (10s) > at this point you have 10 seconds to use Fang and Claw to get 23.5 seconds on BotD, if you use any GCD other than Fang and Claw you will lose Sharper Fang and Claw and must redo the combo.

Does that make more sense?

Pretty much, Here is a simple way to think of it.

The effect is just another part of the combo. You'll only ever get the effect after chaos/full thrust which allows you to do your fourth part of the combo. If you use any other GCD, you have to restart your combo just like with any other combo.

That sounds about right I think.

BadRNG

yea I got it now
They could of probably worded it better. Reminds me of all the tanks that thought det increased healing received.

DRGs will have so many oGCDs to fit in now.
Already had more than anyone else with BRD close on our heels, now it's not even a contest.

Is there gonna be a new OT for HW?
Gooood question. We are at PLD rotation level page count.
just a little over 24h away from losing this joke

Ken

Was anyone even working on an OT for HW?

TBH the current OT has enough relevant HW info we could just stick to this? Maybe we should just have an Early Access/Expansion thread while keeping this the OT?

BadRNG

more stuff

DRK's Reprisal lets you get 10% damage reduction after a successful parry (parry redeemed?), Dark Mind is some kind of single target foes? If i'm reading that right.

Ahhhhhhh they just played Answers live ;-; I am slayed forever ;-;-;-;
Kagari stop partying and give us them hot scoops.

Ken

more stuff

DRK's Reprisal lets you get 10% damage reduction after a successful parry (parry redeemed?), Dark Mind is some kind of single target foes? If i'm reading that right.

Kagari stop partying and give us them hot scoops.

I've got a hot scoop Kagari is promoted to DRG for Alex.

*clap clap*

The Blood of The Dragon tooltip just has terrible wording. It's easy to see why anyone would be confused as to how it works.

I think you guys are reading the tooltip wrong, or I am reading the tooltip wrong. Someone is reading it wrong.

thinking it might be a little of all of this. im rereading it now and its making more sense. still trying to come up with a rotation

(BL)HT(internal release)>Impulse Drive(B4B)>Disembowel(BOTD) >CT(PS) > Fang and Claw (Jump)

Phelb >TT(Spineshatter dive)>VT> (Life surge)FT(Dragonfire Dive> Wheeling Thrust(Geirskogul-is this OGCD or GCD?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom