• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT7| 1000 years DRAGONSONG War

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sounds like you should be able to maintain it indefinitely as long as there's a target to maintain the rotation on, but you probably want to pop Geir when the Blood comes off cooldown or before the boss becomes untargetable for a period of time.

Some people are reading it as a hard cap of 30 cumulative seconds though on reddit which is possible considering how vaguely worded it is.

Ken

So can Blood of the Dragon be extended infinitely with a maximum of 30 seconds' duration at any one moment? Or is it gonna drop off you think?

I just need this shit in my hands now. I can't make a definitive rotation like this lol

I guess you could Geirskogul on BotD's with more than 23 or 20 seconds depending on if you need to reapply HT/Phleb or not. The first BotD and Fang/Wheeling Thrust should net you 27 second-ish duration.

I'm guessing the key will be figuring out a rotation that includes as many Geirskoguls as possible and dropping BotD off when it's no longer needed (like when Jump and SSD are down, and you won't be hitting CT/FT before BotD is up) for a few GCDs before BotD comes off CD again.

My brain is not capable of this so I'll leave smarter people to figure it out.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Some people are reading it as a hard cap of 30 cumulative seconds though on reddit which is possible considering how vaguely worded it is.

Suppose it is, that's 45 seconds out of possible 60 uptime before you can recast Blood again. So pop Geir at the end then recast. Shouldn't affect the rotation that much but the fact that HT has been extended to 24 seconds hints it's intended to be continuous.

Suppose it is, that's 45 seconds out of possible 60 uptime before you can recast Blood again. So pop Geir at the end then recast. Shouldn't affect the rotation that much but the fact that HT has been extended to 24 seconds hints it's intended to be continuous.

I had always envisioned it to be a form of greased lightning or astral fire that had to be maintained throughout the fight rather than something that falls off on its own. Not to mention the 15 seconds between recast and drop if it does work like that seems like such a 3 foot gimme to just make it continuous.

My brain is not capable of this so I'll leave smarter people to figure it out.

Bout to give up myself for the night. Might just be better to wait for some more hands on experience.

dcye

I'm pretty worried a out how big this is gonna be. I have horrible internet and iI doubt I'll be able to download anything more than maybe 10Gb? before EA goes live.

_woLf

Finally beat the main story leading up to heavensward

If Yda and Y'shtola are really dead then i'm going to be SO pissed.

Ken

I'm pretty worried a out how big this is gonna be. I have horrible internet and iI doubt I'll be able to download anything more than maybe 10Gb? before EA goes live.

Probably add an extra hour or five on top of EA start for 1017.

I'm going to guess it's like...25 GB on PS4.

Got an invite to the FC thank you so much, now just waiting for EA to start fresh from a new class get it to 50 and start working on that 50 content and try to catch up haha. Give me a good chance to make friends long before im at the point to play. So you all will just be dying to group up with me ;)

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
how do you guys deal with no being able to play?

I got FFIX and dragon quest heroes ready to play. Got a sick note for the whole week, can't do much else than playing and lie down/sit around

Gridman

Neo Member
I've been playing GLD on another server with some friends and I'm just not enjoying tanking. I feel too stressed when going into dungeons with random people because I don't want to mess up my role in the party. It has gotten to a point that I dread dungeons coming up in the story because I know I have to do it and my friends are all in end game content so they aren't really around to go in them with me. I just recently unlocked PLD and am ready to do the Haukke Manor dungeon; but I have put off going in because I never have fun. I think I already know the answer but should I consider switching to another class? I've read what people say on other forums about tanks that can't do their job right and I don't want to mess up one time and become the center of those topics.

WolvenOne

I've been playing GLD on another server with some friends and I'm just not enjoying tanking. I feel too stressed when going into dungeons with random people because I don't want to mess up my role in the party. It has gotten to a point that I dread dungeons coming up in the story because I know I have to do it and my friends are all in end game content so they aren't really around to go in them with me. I just recently unlocked PLD and am ready to do the Haukke Manor dungeon; but I have put off going in because I never have fun. I think I already know the answer but should I consider switching to another class? I've read what people say on other forums about tanks that can't do their job right and I don't want to mess up one time and become the center of those topics.

Tanking can be a bit stressful, seeing as you have a lot of responsibility and all. If the pressure is sapping all the fun out of the job I'd suggest switching to a different class.

Kenai

It's up to you. I dislike tanking because as you said I get very stressed out. But other people find healing very stressful and I love it (I like ranged cause i can see what's going on in a fight much better).

A large part of it might just be the fear of jumping in so maybe try and see how it goes? Say you are new and most people will be understanding and you'll get the hang of it. If you really don't like it you are only a few button clicks away from another job. A lowbie dungeon like HM is a great place to learn.

Wagram

The fact that there's zero new inventory expansions in this upcoming content expansion is absolutely unfathomable and embarrassing. Crafters are packed to the brim and instead of actually giving players more inventory their temp solution is add more purchasable retainers for $2.

This is a joke Yoshida.

Sandfox

The fact that there's zero new inventory expansions in this upcoming content expansion is absolutely unfathomable and embarrassing. Crafters are packed to the brim and instead of actually giving players more inventory their temp solution is add more punchable retainers.

This is a joke Yoshida.

Isn't that limitation due to the PS3 version? If so they might increase inventory with the next expansion when they drop that version.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
p2iKC8j.png

Hey this looks like a change that should've been done months ago.

Isn't that limitation due to the PS3 version? If so they might increase inventory with the next expansion when they drop that version.

Well there's this fresh interview.

Nohar

The fact that there's zero new inventory expansions in this upcoming content expansion is absolutely unfathomable and embarrassing. Crafters are packed to the brim and instead of actually giving players more inventory their temp solution is add more purchasable retainers for $2.

This is a joke Yoshida.

Yeah, I'm not really happy either. Still, it is manageable with only 2 retainers. I sold a lot of items in order to make some space. Though, if there is one thing that bugs me, it is that we don't have more armory space.

WolvenOne

Nah, it's because of the Armory system, where each single character can be every job/class. It dramatically increases the amount of data the servers have to track per character. They could alleviate this by doing slightly less frequent server checks, but that's all I can really think of.

Or working on the backend code a bit. Not certain how much that contributes, but it could only help.

Wagram

Nah, it's because of the Armory system, where each single character can be every job/class. It dramatically increases the amount of data the servers have to track per character. They could alleviate this by doing slightly less frequent server checks, but that's all I can really think of.

Or working on the backend code a bit. Not certain how much that contributes, but it could only help.

Yeah, it's this, but and while completely understandable they should have addressed this already. You can't not have some type of inventory increase on an expansion. The incompetency of the XIV team sometime drives me bonkers.

Yeah, I'm not really happy either. Still, it is manageable with only 2 retainers. I sold a lot of items in order to make some space. Though, if there is one thing that bugs me, it is that we don't have more armory space.

Other than rings though, armory space isn't a terribly large issue once you get a bunch of the classes to cap. It's annoying when you're still leveling and have various set of gears at various levels and stuff but once you're at cap, you really only need a few sets, like 5(tank/heal/int DPS/dex DPS/str DPS) then a few more slots for like accuracy gear or vit/str gear for tanking and so on, but all in all, you barely use half of it, and then crafting/gathering is like one set for everything nowadays so that's super simple(kinda sucked back when it was AF for every class though).

I thought they said something about a retainer for free, but it's not in the prelim patch notes. It could be a quest reward though and they might not have mentionned it because of that. I pay for an additional retainer, still less expensive than a "normal" sub with the limited sub+retainer fee, so not a huge issue imo, and I keep a lot of garbage that I could realistically sell and not bother with.

I actually sold a bunch of the stuff I had, my first retainer had like all those crafting monster drops like imp wings and megalocrab shell and so on, but in the end those are only used in very specific stuff and they're all dirt cheap so I cleared most of it out. I kept all the gathered materials(and dungeon/gc stuff) on my 2nd retainer, that one has like 2slots free but I have even the low level stuff I can buy for cheap from beastmen vendors and so on, just cause I don't want to have to run there everytime.

I think overall inventory management isn't so bad once you're at cap, it's pretty crappy when still leveling and need to keep a lot of stuff "in case of" and you're not really rich enough to just throw it away and buy it back later if you need it. As you get higher levels, you need less and less space, besides glamour(which I guess if you're into eats all your slots easily).

Kenai

Other than rings though, armory space isn't a terribly large issue once you get a bunch of the classes to cap. It's annoying when you're still leveling and have various set of gears at various levels and stuff but once you're at cap, you really only need a few sets, like 5(tank/heal/int DPS/dex DPS/str DPS) then a few more slots for like accuracy gear or vit/str gear for tanking and so on, but all in all, you barely use half of it, and then crafting/gathering is like one set for everything nowadays so that's super simple(kinda sucked back when it was AF for every class though).

I thought they said something about a retainer for free, but it's not in the prelim patch notes. It could be a quest reward though and they might not have mentionned it because of that. I pay for an additional retainer, still less expensive than a "normal" sub with the limited sub+retainer fee, so not a huge issue imo, and I keep a lot of garbage that I could realistically sell and not bother with.

I actually sold a bunch of the stuff I had, my first retainer had like all those crafting monster drops like imp wings and megalocrab shell and so on, but in the end those are only used in very specific stuff and they're all dirt cheap so I cleared most of it out. I kept all the gathered materials(and dungeon/gc stuff) on my 2nd retainer, that one has like 2slots free but I have even the low level stuff I can buy for cheap from beastmen vendors and so on, just cause I don't want to have to run there everytime.

I think overall inventory management isn't so bad once you're at cap, it's pretty crappy when still leveling and need to keep a lot of stuff "in case of" and you're not really rich enough to just throw it away and buy it back later if you need it. As you get higher levels, you need less and less space, besides glamour(which I guess if you're into eats all your slots easily).

Yea a lot of classes share gear once you are in coil which is nice.

I am kinda worried about launch leaving me cluttered though since there's going to be a lot of AF we are gonna have to use until Alexander opens up. And for crafters it will taken even longer since they are likely gonna use the same body sets for several patches. The worry is probably unfounded since I don't think i am gonna be speeding more than a handful of additional jobs to cap after I meander through the 3.0 story, but still.

Even if they can't handle a base inventory increase, there's really no excuse as to why we can't get more retainers for free. Asking people to pay an extra 16 bucks a month for max inventory space is insane.

They should of at least given us one or two new ones for free, I thought that was the original plan to begin with. But nope, money grab.

I want them to make that stupid amoire better. I would have loved it if they let us store armor sets in it like in 11. :(

BadRNG

I want them to make that stupid amoire better. I would have loved it if they let us store armor sets in it like in 11. :(
It would be amazing if you could store different sets in there. A section for Allagan, PvP, Ironworks, etc.

They should have let us turn in soldiery and high allagan stuff for seals or desynth it...
Uh, they are. FCOB and poetics stuff too. it's in the prelim notes.

WolvenOne

It would be amazing if you could store different sets in there. A section for Allagan, PvP, Ironworks, etc.

Uh, they are. FCOB and poetics stuff too. it's in the prelim notes.

Which creates its own problems, if you want to use the stuff for glamour again at any point. (Why did I turn in my BcoB Tank set for seals, why!?)

I wish they had a system to let you glamour gear after it left your inventory. Like being able to buy Replica's of any armor you turned in for seals.

Ken

This expansion is not really welcome back friendly... I thought you cloud just buy and play :/

Um, AFAIK they've been telling people for awhile now that you need to finish the Main Scenario to gain access to Ishgard and 99% of Heavensward content.

It's not a big deal though since you have two to four weeks to catch up and be there for the release of Alexander normal and Esoteric tomes, respectively.

WolvenOne

This expansion is not really welcome back friendly... I thought you cloud just buy and play :/

Well, you can, but you still have to level up to do the level appropriate content. Plus there's a story so you have to go through it. The story quests introduced between patches 2.1 and 2.5 really isn't all that long though, and will award experience starting Friday. People just hitting the 2.1 story now will probably be 51 or higher by the time they actually hit Heavensward content.

HAttyboy

Um, AFAIK they've been telling people for awhile now that you need to finish the Main Scenario to gain access to Ishgard and 99% of Heavensward content.

It's not a big deal though since you have two to four weeks to catch up and be there for the release of Alexander normal and Esoteric tomes, respectively.

Ok, I havent been so active on FF XIV front, It was yesterday I saw the new expansion was coming on Friday, thought why not need something on my vacation.
Ok, that good to hear and those two are the new raids?

Well, you can, but you still have to level up to do the level appropriate content. Plus there's a story so you have to go through it. The story quests introduced between patches 2.1 and 2.5 really isn't all that long though, and will award experience starting Friday. People just hitting the 2.1 story now will probably be 51 or higher by the time they actually hit Heavensward content.
Ok, true that! but I was hoping to start a new machinist and trying to rush leveling up.

Ken

Ok, I havent been so active on FF XIV front, It was yesterday I saw the new expansion was coming on Friday, thought why not need something on my vacation.
Ok, that good to hear and those two are the new raids?

Ok, true that! but I was hoping to start a new machinist and trying to rush leveling up.

Alexander is the new casual raid with weekly lockout on gear. Esoterics is weekly capped currency.

Even if you're not up to Heavensward content, the stuff leading to it is still good, and gives context as to why it's required before accessing Ishgard.

All you need to do is complete the pre-3.0 story and you'll be able to unlock MCH, which you'd definitely be able to get to 50 and maybe even 60 in two weeks.

Yeah wouldn't be too surprised if the new story rewards were like a full set of soldiery gear or something like that, giving you i100 and an easy time to clear the story instances. Plus it'll make you feel like those crappy fedex quests they're sending the savior of Eorzea on actually are rewarded appropriately.

WolvenOne

Yeah wouldn't be too surprised if the new story rewards were like a full set of soldiery gear or something like that, giving you i100 and an easy time to clear the story instances. Plus it'll make you feel like those crappy fedex quests they're sending the savior of Eorzea on actually are rewarded appropriately.

Well the Materia was nice at least.

OMG I have long road head of me, did count the quest I did have left it was 96. So how many hours is this going take?

Depends on you reading the text and watching the cutscenes or not, but I think it's like 5-6hours if you skip and like 8ish if you don't or so, from what I've read. It's not that bad, a lot of the quests are like 5mins. Could be more with slow queues for the group stuff though.

HAttyboy

Depends on you reading the text and watching the cutscenes or not, but I think it's like 5-6hours if you skip and like 8ish if you don't or so, from what I've read. It's not that bad, a lot of the quests are like 5mins. Could be more with slow queues for the group stuff though.

ok, nice!

Managed to finish my three main goals just barely in time for Heavensward- finished my first Zeta (Monk), got Dragoon to level 50, and completed the Hildibrand quests. I cannot wait for early access to start- I'm feeling really good about this expansion.

Apt101

Ouch, I have to grind up gear just to enter the new content? Eeesh, I guess I will be playing WoW instead after all. But thank you for the OP, saved me some money and grief.

Scher

Ouch, I have to grind up gear just to enter the new content? Eeesh, I guess I will be playing WoW instead after all. But thank you for the OP, saved me some money and grief.

Well, based off what they've said, you won't need to grind for any gear. The story quests going up to patch 2.55 are supposed to now contain gear rewards that should have you geared enough to do the necessary content by the time you reach it, if my understanding of what they've said is correct.

Klyka

Banned

No,you just need to beat the story to unlock it. And once Heavensward goes live, that story will give you proper itemlvl equipment to go directly into heavensward.

Apt101

Well, based off what they've said, you won't need to grind for any gear. The story quests going up to patch 2.55 are supposed to now contain gear rewards that should have you geared enough to do the necessary content by the time you reach it, if my understanding of what they've said is correct.

No,you just need to beat the story to unlock it. And once Heavensward goes live, that story will give you proper itemlvl equipment to go directly into heavensward.

Ah, cool. Is this solo content or does one have to finish group scenarios or dungeons or what not? Sorry I have been away a long time, forgot the terminology.

Klyka

Banned
Ah, cool. Is this solo content or does one have to finish group scenarios or dungeons or what not? Sorry I have been away a long time, forgot the terminology.

Could you tell me where you stopped playing? I can give you a better description then.

But yes, there is group content, but not like,crazy amounts of it.
And you will easily get groups for it. Especially since now you can actually go into that content with a less than full party AND their levels won't be syncd, which means you could,if you wanted to, have high level/gear players just pull you through that stuff.

That's some bullshit, did they rework bard songs because MCH doesn't really get a penalty for using regen

They lose the turret damage, which is a 60potency autoattack, and they lose mana over time just the same. The main advantage I see is they don't have cast time and the positionning thing(but that's also a downside depending on the fight), plus supposedly they regen less than bard songs? That said 60potency autoattacks is probably less than 20% dmg, so yeah don't know.

Edit: New Lustrate is 600potency instead of 20% health. Means it'll be affected by stuff like Dissipate(and also healing reduction debuffs and what not). I can now see a better use for Dissipate, since you can then dump 3 lustrates with increased potency right after using it, or 2 lustrates+new aoe heal. Still don't like the idea of having to swiftcast the pet back up right after but eh. Oh can't Lustrate with Cleric Stance anymore, which sucks really bad.

Apt101

Could you tell me where you stopped playing? I can give you a better description then.

But yes, there is group content, but not like,crazy amounts of it.
And you will easily get groups for it. Especially since now you can actually go into that content with a less than full party AND their levels won't be syncd, which means you could,if you wanted to, have high level/gear players just pull you through that stuff.

I didn't even finish my legendary weapon or what not. Two pieces of item level 90 gear. I finished the original story and defeated some bosses on hard. I only played from release and then off and on over the next four or five months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom