• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT7| 1000 years DRAGONSONG War

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now I'm at the "Please wait while your payment is verified" been like that for over a minute now. Not sure what I should do, don't want to be charged twice.

chrono01

Now I'm at the "Please wait while your payment is verified" been like that for over a minute now.
Same thing happened to me. Credit card? It takes a while but it should give you "Thank You" page afterwards.

Let me know if you receive a confirmation email. I still haven't. :(

I did- didn't have to wait too long for it either.
Well that's great.

I'm not going to order another in-case my first order went through. The thing cost me $160+USD, as shipping to Canada was insane. I'm not about to pre-order another that I may/may not be able to cancel later on.

I'll just hope for the best that my order went through.

Same thing happened to me. Credit card? It takes a while but it should give you "Thank You" page afterwards.

Let me know if you receive a confirmation email. I still haven't. :(

Yeah by Credit card. As soon as I saw your message it finally went through and I seemed to have got the order confirmation about 10 seconds after it went through.

Layd Dly

Was able to finally sign in on my phone, but cant get past shipping, also isnt shipping supposed to be free over $100, the cheapest options is $8.99

chrono01

Yeah by Credit card. As soon as I saw your message it finally went through and I seemed to have got the order confirmation about 10 seconds after it went through.
Thanks.

I checked my credit card history and I see a charge listed for $0.66 from Square-Enix, so I assume it went through alright. The emails are probably just a little delayed.

iammeiam

My cart loaded... Once... And then when I was filling in my shipping address the only thing in the State drop down was "please select a state" or whatever.

Amazon, pls save me.

Okay, so the SE store said that my "information are invalid" at the end of the checkout process, but I got an e-mail confirming that my order went through. So, I think I got it?

Please look forward to it:
79aUjrf.jpg

9yI2cRn.jpg

Hope they bring additional servers online to alleviate the inevitable Heavensward login issues.

Thanks.

I checked my credit card history and I see a charge listed for $0.66 from Square-Enix, so I assume it went through alright. The emails are probably just a little delayed.

Your welcome! and yeah hopefully should appear for you soon. I have a $.50 charge from them so it's all set for me. Glad that it's not the whole amount as a pre-authorization charge.

Hey guys! So i'm thinking of getting into FFXIV, but I have a few questions and this seems like the place for them

I've been a long time WoW player and I have no particular reverence for the Final Fantasy IP (i've never beaten a final fantasy game), will a lot of the enjoyment of the game be lost on me as a result? I imagine there's a lot of callbacks to previous games and such.

I've always been a healer/support in MMOs but i'm thinking of changing it up this time. Are queue times for DPS insane at max level? I'd like to try black mage or summoner but i'll probably just go healer if it would become a pain to get into dungeons and gear up as dps

If my friend ends up getting it as well in the future, I saw that I can switch to a level 1 class to level and play with him, will I be able to redo the quests I've done previously so I can quest with him?

Also what is the main draw for you guys over WoW? On the surface they seem like pretty similar games but i've seen a lot of people in threads mention they dislike WoW but love XIV

one of my FFXIV friends is on the road and can't preorder and they've asked me to do it for them from their account. I'm so glad I'm not doing it for myself because I'd be frustrated as hell.

I had to enter their zip code over and over before I got to shipping and then it won't continue past that. *prays to RNGesus*

Please look forward to it:
79aUjrf.jpg

Hope they bring additional servers online to alleviate the inevitable Heavensward login issues.

Providing more server resources for a typical webservice like an online store is very different from providing more servers for a MMORPG though.

Providing more server resources for a typical webservice like an online store is very different from providing more servers for a MMORPG though.

Stop being a server bully.

Korra did yours go through???

Yea. I redeemed my early access code, too, which means no refund possible. However, if CE starts selling for a shit ton, I'll put mine on eBay and pick up the digital CE and give that code away to the buyer.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Hey guys! So i'm thinking of getting into FFXIV, but I have a few questions and this seems like the place for them

I've been a long time WoW player and I have no particular reverence for the Final Fantasy IP (i've never beaten a final fantasy game), will a lot of the enjoyment of the game be lost on me as a result? I imagine there's a lot of callbacks to previous games and such.

I've always been a healer/support in MMOs but i'm thinking of changing it up this time. Are queue times for DPS insane at max level? I'd like to try black mage or summoner but i'll probably just go healer if it would become a pain to get into dungeons and gear up as dps

If my friend ends up getting it as well in the future, I saw that I can switch to a level 1 class to level and play with him, will I be able to redo the quests I've done previously so I can quest with him?

Also what is the main draw for you guys over WoW? On the surface they seem like pretty similar games but i've seen a lot of people in threads mention they dislike WoW but love XIV

1) Callbacks are never integrated in a way that looks like "Hey guys! Remember this from that one good game we made?" It's more like, the way events transpire in this game somewhat resemble events in other games, but it's completely made its own. In this way you can enjoy the game even without any knowledge of the past Final Fantasy games.
2) Anecdotal, but DPS queues are alright at max level, nowadays they're pretty bad in levelling instances however. There's absolutely an overabundance of DPS queueing and if waiting 15-35 minutes is not your thing... yeah. Unlike in WoW small parties take 2, not 3 dps for every 1 tank and 1 healer which further complicates the issue.
3) You can't redo any storyline or side-story quests, but they're all single player oriented anyway. You will however be able to assist them with FATEs (repeated open world events) or instances at any level equal or below you.
4) I played very little of WoW, but there's two main draws in this for me. First is style, in visuals, in music and in storytelling. XIV will go out of your way to give proper context to anything you do, even if it's boring fetchquesting. Early level quests in WoW are just one box with accept/reject. There's a series of quests that have virtually no gameplay value and exist solely to tell you something more about random NPCs you might've encountered on your quest. Music, that one's obvious, it's Final Fantasy. The other draw is usability. It's kinda hard to make judgement here as in WoW you can customize UI in any way you wish, but in XIV, the UI is designed so well, for both KBM and controller players, that any other MMORPG just honestly feels incompetent in this department. Another advantage many will name are frequent content updates.

Valor

You don't necessarily have to be a fan of the franchise to enjoy the game, I don't think. Most of the allusions or callbacks aren't super blatant for the most part.

DPS queue times are pretty bad while leveling for dungeons, especially the lower leveled ones since they are required to get through the story and there's little incentive for people to run them more than once. Once you hit endgame, though, the dps times aren't as bad, but they're nowhere near as fast/instant as healer or especially tank.

You can't redo any main story quests or side quests with lower leveled classes, no, but you can still accompany him on doing his quests until he hits instances that you aren't allowed to party for. You just won't get any of the quest rewards for them.

Can't answer the last bit since my WoW time is pretty minimal.

Not being a fan of FF wouldn't be too much of an issue, there's callbacks and it's FF at its core, but FF really is just a lot of generic fantasy stuff with a bit of uniqueness. The lore and world are also self contained and don't require any prior knowledge of the franchise.

DPS queue times aren't insane, but they're obviously longer than healer. 10-20mins queue seem to be the norm depending on the content and time of the day, with sometimes more for certain stuff. Healer is more like 3-5mins and Tank 0-5mins.

You can't redo quests, so no, and you can't help him for story instanced stuff. You can however do dungeons and stuff together, which is good xp but whenever he gets to certain parts in the story he'll have to do some quests alone, and for other stuff you can follow him but you can't actually do the same quest so that's not very fun.

I'd say the games are super similar. The main differences would be console play which is a big thing for a lot of people, slower combat which makes console play more viable as well as a more relaxed feel to the game(though for some people it is instead a major negative about the game since it's well, a lot slower, the base GCD is 2.5secs instead of WoW's 1.5secs), job system which lets you play one char that can be every class, though in many respects that's similar to playing a druid/paladin/monk in wow where you can respec to every role and the fact they add content at a much faster pace than wow does. That last point is probably the biggest point for people who played wow for a long time, they add way way more content to the game.

There's a lot of stuff that WoW does better I'd say, but there's some things that make FFXIV a game that's more fun to play in the long term. Also, and that's important, you can definitely play both, by alternating them and playing each when there's new content. This means you never play during content draught. Just alternate subs.

WolvenOne

You don't need intimate knowledge of previous Final Fantasy games to enjoy FFXIV, it helps sure, but it's not necessary. For example, I highly enjoyed the Crystal Tower 24 man raids, but I never REALLY played FFIII, which the raids are based on.

I've never played WoW, but from what I've gathered, here are the main draws.

• Visuals, while WoW is a bigger world, Eorzea is breathtaking as far as MMO worlds go.
  • Frequency and size of content updates, players get significant new content every three to four months, and smaller content and quality of life updates in between those.
  • Combat is similar, but FFXIV's combat is slightly less simplified than current WoW.
  • Story, you'll either love it or be bored to tears by it, there seems to be no real middle ground for some reason. Either way, most agree that XIV's story is more involving than WoW's.
  • Lots of lil distractions, Triple Triad, Chocobo Racing, stuff like that.

Of course there are dungeons and raids and whatnot, but those are standard MMOfare, so I didn't list them.

Stop being a server bully.

Yea. I redeemed my early access code, too, which means no refund possible. However, if CE starts selling for a shit ton, I'll put mine on eBay and pick up the digital CE and give that code away to the buyer.

#NotAllServers

#StopServerLoadInequality

rubius01

I know i'm lttp here angary, but this what I do:

start fight with FOE+BV (riou can't count for shit) let it run out
on 3rd megaflare (when mp is to 720) do paeon. this will go through the first parts of phase two.
recharge mp throughout phase two, and hold it until after divebombs
after divebombs do ballad+bv, untill sins appear, then turn it off. Tira should have 3500 to 4000mp
go through second set of divebombs and as soon as twin appears do FOE until mp is gone, or untill its only pain left.
pop x-ether during TF, and then play it by ear. either recharging mp to max, or do a quick 500mp ballad.
At 10% fuck everything and do foe

Me and moara were synched all through second coil tp-wise but in T10 is where everything got out of wack.

which melee class has the best AOE potential? I read it's dragoon, is that true?

Probably dragoon, though Ninja looks kinda close with proper setup and if you don't compare on a duration too close to Blood for Blood since Dragoon tends to crush during that. Monks can aoe really hard for like 10secs every 3mins. I don't think it really matters though since you rarely need aoe for actual boss fights, and trash is well, trash.

Thanks for the replies! That's a bummer you can't redo quests, I might just wait for my friend before I start playing so we can do them together.

WoW raider here that started in January (Ahead of the curve done) to take a break while BRF came out.

1. I essentially missed all of 1.0/only played a few console games and it doesn't matter. If you've never played a story-based mmo before it might be a bit jarring that you're essentially gated until you do the story quests. It's not like WoW where you hit max level and everything is suddenly good to go minus ilvl restrictions. I've been max level for a few days and still can barely do anything because I haven't finished the story.

2. DPS queues for this game are insane. So much that I remember reading leveling guides for the game to prepare myself and then when I started to play (as a tank) I didn't do anything in those guides because my dungeon queues are instant and the exp from dungeons are MASSIVE. Leveling as a dps in this game seems like a completely different game.

3. Nah, one character is convenient but it also means there's no alt-game like WoW.

4. I switched over to FF14 because I loved 11 back in the day but also because the rhythm of 14 is different. The gcd and ability rotations have a refreshing flow compared to WoW's procs and auras. Tanking takes a bit more thought in this game than on my war in WoW.

Either way, if you're a WoW vet the game will be fairly simple.

iammeiam

"An error occurred during checkout. Sorry for the inconvenience." Ohgodwhy.

Initial draw was the existence of a console version because I hate mouse and keyboard controls and a system designed with controllers is mind was appealing, and that it's a really pretty game.

Reason I stuck with it as opposed to my usual MMO approach of hitting max level and then running away (which I've done with WoW twice, once in Vanilla and once around Cata launch and which I kind of infamously almost did here for like a day but please let's not discuss it it was a bad time all around) is mostly the GAF community
as full of jerks and bads as it is.
I'd done GAF guilds on a couple other MMOs but they were kind of dead? GAF FC is just super active and pretty entertaining even when there's not much to do in the game.

WoW has a crapload more to do, FFXIV is unsurprisingly content-light given its relative youth.

OH SHIT I GOT ONE

You were wrong. This is a thread of tears and blood, nothing more.

In all seriousness, I can help answer your questions. Appreciating the lore and setting is helped by having played past FFs, but it's hardly necessary. Everything here stands on its own.

I wouldn't say queue times are insane, but they are longer for DPS classes; I'd say it's a case by case scenario, but I'm pretty certain from my experience with WoW, my queue times as a Mage were much higher than they are as a Black Mage here (and they get shorter as you get to higher level dungeons). Healers are obviously in higher demand though, so it's little to no wait.

You can class swap just by changing gear sets. It's very nifty and easy to do. You can max out all classes on one character. However, you can't redo static quests; to ameliorate this, they made repeatable quests called Levequests, hunting logs, and daily dungeon bonuses that speed up leveling immensely. Getting to max level rarely feels like a chore.

I was playing a bit of WoW before coming over here, but I was new to that too. It felt too dated to me. I also didn't like that pretty much everyone I ran into was a veteran player, strapped up with heirloom gear. The whole thing felt tilted towards vets and they weren't really as tolerant as one would hope. On the other hand, FFXIV has one of the best MMO communities I've had the pleasure of playing with. The game is beautiful, the combat is far more dynamic than it is in WoW, everything is streamlined and fine-tuned. The only catch is that the PvP design is dumb as hell, but it's likely they'll fix it once the expansion rolls around. Also, FFXIV has the best upkeep of any MMO; meaty content drops every few months, where by the time an actual expansion rolls around, they've already dropped enough free content to qualify as an expansion on another MMO. And it's just so detailed. I mean, everything is crafted to perfection, from the scenery and soundtrack to the class designs, character designs, just everything. They put a lot of love into this game and it really shows.

XenoRaven

which melee class has the best AOE potential? I read it's dragoon, is that true?
It kind of depends. Dragoon's Doom Spike is a strong AOE, but it's directional. So with a huge mass of mobs you might find that you miss a couple. NIN AOE is in a circle around them. You just drop Doton and start throwing some shurikens.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Ill be surprised if i can get the physical CE now. At work and the site is even worse on the phone. Pretty disappointing on Square's part thus far.

Valnen

Just successfully checked out with Paypal despite not having the money available. Let's hope they hold to their word about not charging until a few days before it ships, otherwise I won't be able to pay rent!

iammeiam

I did it! I completed the hardest content of the 2.x cycle and obtained a PS4 CE preorder!

Maybe. I used PayPal and realized I have absolutely no idea which credit card PayPal defaults to. In B4 order cancelled on June 18th because the card on file expired last year.

LaneDS

So the assumption is since they're shipping at or after release that the early access code will be sufficient for the first couple weeks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom