• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV - 30 minutes of gameplay (Japanese)

Exentryk

I almost forgot that we are getting a FF7 Remake, holy crap.

bTcGJPw.gif

Hopefully this'll have a better combat system than the mess that is FFXV.

Koozek

You can auto-target the magic already. You can try it for yourselves in the Platinum demo. You have to hold either L1 or R1 (I can't remember which off the top of my head).

You don't have to awkwardly target if you don't want to.

Edit: I had no idea I was cleared to post. I wonder how long I've been waiting for no reason, lol.
Haha, welcome fellow Mognetter! Be prepared to brainwashed into the GAF hive-mind of our Empress Kagari.

EDIT: LOL, you could've posted since 06-24-2016 looking at your profile.

DrBretto

Banned
Haha, welcome fellow Mognetter! Be prepared to brainwashed into the GAF hive-mind of our Empress Kagari.

EDIT: LOL, you could've posted since 06-24-2016 looking at your profile.

Haha, I'm an idiot, lol. I think I literally only couldn't because I wasn't logged in this whole time.

Edit: and as a lone wolf, I am more likely to start my own cult.

bunkitz

Off-topic, but since some are talking about VIIR, what engine are they using for it? Seeing the graphical downgrade for XV is worrying me, because while I don't usually care too much about graphics and have a low enough standard to be happy with pretty much everything we get these days... I'd really like for the final game to look as good as what has been presented so far.

You get dialog choices.

Ah, I guess that could've been what happened...

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
So much depth and strategy!

They've generally been pretty quiet on it so it's hard to say. I hope we get another trailer at PSX with perhaps a look at other characters like Tifa and Aerith.

Being quiet isn't a bad thing. Better they wait and show things when they're ready.

Off-topic, but since some are talking about VIIR, what engine are they using for it? Seeing the graphical downgrade for XV is worrying me, because while I don't usually care too much about graphics and have a low enough standard to be happy with pretty much everything we get these days... I'd really like for the final game to look as good as what has been presented so far.

UE4

Gbraga

Lol, that gif is looking faster to you because it is only showing the end part of the spell cast. It's not really different than how it is in Platinum demo. Still a clunky hot mess. Even when you can lock on to enemies, the spell doesn't track them after you press the button, lol.

giphy.gif

You're, right, the whole thing is slow, but the casting itself is fast enough, if you only show that part.

Maybe an upgrade down the line will make it better, but why would I waste points into something so boring? It needed to be more interesting the moment you can cast it for the first time.

Or they could make every spell more like Blizzard. I'm ok with Blizzard being clunky because it's not the quick damage attack that Fire is, Blizzard makes a bigger impact that persists while you do your regular melee fighting.

Voror

Being quiet isn't a bad thing. Better they wait and show things when they're ready.

Oh I'm not complaining. I figure they're being quiet since they're busy working on it. I hope they do reveal a bit more soon though or at least at PSX at the earliest. I'm very curious how they're adjusting the systems like materia for the new gameplay systems.

wmlk

You're, right, the whole thing is slow, but the casting itself is fast enough, if you only show that part.

Maybe an upgrade down the line will make it better, but why would I waste points into something so boring? It needed to be more interesting the moment you can cast it for the first time.

Or they could make every spell more like Blizzard. I'm ok with Blizzard being clunky because it's not the quick damage attack that Fire is, Blizzard makes a bigger impact that persists while you do your regular melee fighting.
Apparently it tracks if you hold one of the buttons (L1 or R1)? I don't have access to the demo right now so I can't see for myself.

The thing will also 6 months old before release, and they haven't shown how tapping works yet in the new build, so it's all speculative.

Nvm, 8 months lol

Oh I'm not complaining. I figure they're being quiet since they're busy working on it. I hope they do reveal a bit more soon though or at least at PSX at the earliest. I'm very curious how they're adjusting the systems like materia for the new gameplay systems.

I could see certain materias working like KH skills. For instance, you equip cloud with death blow you get access to the move.

Ray Down

Banned
Nomura & CO will pull a DQ anniversary.

Look guys it's the start of FF7 anniversary year, from September 7 2017 to September 7 2018!

It will release before September 7 2018, for it's anniversary.

Nomura & CO will pull a DQ anniversary.

Look guys it's the start of FF7 anniversary year, from September 7 2017 to September 7 2018!

It will release before September 7 2018, for it's anniversary.
I have doubts dq11 makes it so I doubt ff will too. Be prepared for nomuras burning passion to transfer over from kh3 where he will change everything about it and his ambitions will get the best of him and the first part comes out by 2019 xp
And by that time the better ff remake will be announced

wmlk

Apparently some Roberto Ferrari character designs he did years ago were cut due to story changes.

https://twitter.com/redmakuzawa/status/770273193009434625

Btw Gentiana face changed a bit right? She looks so different now compared to 2013 to me at least.
How does she look so different? She looks the same to me.

You're not going to replicate super realistic CG renders of their faces from E3 2013. Heck, Noctis doesn't look very similar to that if that's the only thing we're comparing to. Gladio looks very different and looks like a dolt in game.

Dark_castle

Hopefully this'll have a better combat system than the mess that is FFXV.

FFVIIR definitely will have a better battle system than XV. It's not that we've seen a lot of the game, much less played a slice of it. It's Nomura I simply trust in delivering a fun, responsive action combat. I mean I'm not exactly picky when it comes to a action combat. I don't need tons and tons of game mechanics on top, just something that works, is fun to pick up and play, no button holding garbage, and I'm good. I doubt Nomura would disappoint in this aspect.

I just hope someone reign in Nomura and Nojima when it comes to the story/characters/writing of the remake.

Damn, this game is like a collection of game design philosophy which doesn't sit well with me. Let's see;

Button holding to attack/defend

Infinite ground combo, like you keep doing basic attack, Noctis keeps swinging the weapon like an idiot. No stamina, no limit to basic attack, no nothing.

Highly prioritized, uncancellable character animations during combat

Minimal enemy attacks being choreographed to allow player a fair time to react and dodge

Noctis controls like a tank, in a freaking Action RPG. He has to realistically, physically turn his body around like in a Pokemon game before he then starts moving in the direction you pressed.

Dodge roll having no i-frames (lolwat)

Magic works as consumable where you have to farm, as they take up one slot and is not something player can dynamically chain into their melee attacks to

Musou like encounters where enemies can come in swarm, making AOE attacks more encouraged and resulting in spammy situations.

Atrocious boss designs where you have to sit through scripted sequences, cutscenes or "quest" leading to the fight. There's even tailing mission thrown in for good measure.

The fact that party members are uncontrollable and can sometimes get in the way of player's view, especially at tight spaces like the ice cavern.

Camera is not great.

I'm sure if I think harder, I could come up with more design decisions that I dislike in XV, and that's just combat related gameplay. Haven't even talked about how I don't like the open world design with its huge but barren, flat, uninteresting world level design, etc.

Ray Down

Banned
I have doubts dq11 makes it so I doubt ff will too. Be prepared for nomuras burning passion to transfer over from kh3 where he will change everything about it and his ambitions will get the best of him and the first part comes out by 2019 xp
And by that time the better ff remake will be announced

See I think DQ will make it for 2017, maybe not May like Horii wants but really I'm sure it will come out this year. KH3 and FF7R are a toss up, I don't see both coming out in 2017 at all.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I simply don't see how people have any insight into Nomura's combat at all. Kingdom Hearts is a single style of combat and it's not a particularly complicated one. It tells me nothing about VIIR.

wmlk

Who started this Nomura body pillow levels of obsession? I'm actually curious.

Like, when did Lord or whatever start.

How does she look so different? She looks the same to me.

You're not going to replicate super realistic CG renders of their faces from E3 2013. Heck, Noctis doesn't look very similar to that if that's the only thing we're comparing to. Gladio looks very different and looks like a dolt in game.

Practically the entire cast got slight changes, Ignis is the one that largely remained intact.

Ydelnae

Apparently some Roberto Ferrari character designs he did years ago were cut due to story changes.

https://twitter.com/redmakuzawa/status/770273193009434625

Btw Gentiana face changed a bit right? She looks so different now compared to 2013 to me at least.

I don't know whether I want those designs published in an artbook along with other Versus XIII artwork or just kept under wraps until the distant future so I don't fantasize on what could have been.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Who started this Nomura body pillow levels of obsession? I'm actually curious.

Like, when did Lord or whatever start.
I got the impression it started out rather sarcastically, parodying Square's over-reliance on Nomura in the 2000s. But I could be mistaken.

wmlk

Practically the entire cast got slight changes, Ignis is the one that largely remained intact.
Noctis, Gladio, Ignis, Verstael, Iedolas, Ardyn, Aranea, and Gentiana look the same. That's quite a few. Some made the transition from CG better than others.

Ydelnae

What games does Square have for next year?

Nier 2: Automata (Spring 2017)
Dragon Quest XI (Spring 2017, but it's going to get delayed imo)
Dragon Quest VIII 3DS (Spring 2017)
Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age (Spring 2017)
Final Fantasy Type-0 Online (Early 2017)
Final Fantasy XI Remake for mobile (Early 2017)

And Kingdom Hearts Unchained Chi is getting a season 2. Other than that, nothing else is announced.

Top Bottom