• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV - 30 minutes of gameplay (Japanese)

wmlk

But for real, does Magic really track the enemy if L1 or R1 is held? That would clear any issue I have with its usage.

Mediking

Yeah, would suck to accidentaly know that [­spoiler]Noctis kills both Prompto and Ignis.[/spoiler]

EDIT: Wait, why isn't it working?

[­spoiler]Regis is alive in the form of Bahamut[/spoiler]

EDIT2: WHAT IS GOING ON, HELP

Let's not forget my very old prediction about a huge plot moment in the game...

Cloud7

Do you want them? I think having Cissnei show up will be fine enough for me.

Even still i think a few of the misshapen blobs that were FF7 NPC's will end up being somewhat ascended extras in any case

I think that none of the Compilation original characters should show up at all in the Remake. Expanding on characters like Scarlet, Biggs, Wedge, etc is fine but keep those Compilation people out.

Toth

The only thing I have against Gentiana being Shiva in disguise is that Tabata specifically commented on Leviathan being a female and the closest summon to the goddess. If we draw parallels between the goddess and the Oracle, Gentiana is the closest person to Luna.

Ah, I gotcha. Then Gentiana is Leviathan if this all pans out as it's hinted at

wmlk

Do you want them? I think having Cissnei show up will be fine enough for me.

Even still i think a few of the misshapen blobs that were FF7 NPC's will end up being somewhat ascended extras in any case
I think I'm just beginning to be disappointed at the idea that this is a Remake of a game I already know a lot about, through the original and the compilation.

Like, with this game I saw designs like Ardyn and Gentiana and I'm looking forward to hearing and seeing more about them. It's not nearly the same in the Remake.

It's not like VII is massively nostalgic to me either.

We have footage already:

DaringQuarterlyDevilfish.gif

instaiqsdy.gif

Wait, we can see Prompto dying in one gif while Ignis is next to him, but in the other gif we see Ignis dying while Prompto is next to him.

Time travel confirmed?

DrBretto

Banned
But for real, does Magic really track the enemy if L1 or R1 is held? That would clear any issue I have with its usage.

Yes. I've done it myself. And you can test it for yourself with the Platinum Demo. It looks exactly like the GIF with the coerl.

wmlk

Yes. I've done it myself. And you can test it for yourself with the Platinum Demo. It looks exactly like the GIF with the coerl.
OOOOOOOHH

I'd love to see this.

I made the gif with the Coeurl for demonstration purposes but it actually doesn't track where the enemy is. It only fires where the enemy was when you tapped it. Not sure if you're confusing it.

DrBretto

Banned
OOOOOOOHH

I'd love to see this.

It's whatever button targets but isn't the lock target button. I hated the PD scheme, lol, so I can't remember which one it was. I want to say R1. You have to hold it while you're casting the spell, but it's quick and it was a huge relief for me as well.

Mediking

I can't see them exploring something like that in the story, to be honest. Not even getting into the theory itself, just tonally.

Hahaha I don't mean like forbidden love. I mean like... there will be a huge moment where Noctis and Luna will both find out they are related.

wmlk

Our @Infest did this VO comparison of the recent (semi-)master footage:

FINAL FANTASY XV : English vs. Japanese Dub (Master Version) EXTENDED

As someone who watches mostly subs for anime (other than the occasional incredible dub like with Champloo and Bebop) and even some anime without any dubs, listening to this without the video just highlights that the English localization is pretty damn good.

They play off of each other pretty well. Gladio is still the biggest issue for me.

Also, the newspaper scene too lol. They don't sound upset at all. Are they upset in Japanese? No idea, but they sure sound like it.

Asd202

So
Ifrit
is confirmed...
That first 4chan leak got everything right, didn't it. All of the story details up to collecting weapons from dead kings have now been confirmed. It even correctly predicted the technical problems of the late-game areas (Tabata says they're focusing on optimizing those areas to the level of the starter areas now), the delay, the DLC, the ever-changing script, the cut designs... But I guess we are getting clothes that aren't black, so that's the one thing it got wrong.

Wasn't this guy exposed as a hater spreading bad info about the game?

Mailbox

Our @Infest did this VO comparison of the recent (semi-)master footage:

FINAL FANTASY XV : English vs. Japanese Dub (Master Version) EXTENDED

Yeah this is a thing about the dubs I noticed while watching both. They pretty much handle themselves the same in terms of acting, with the only real differences being that Ignis in the Jp dub is a bit better and the mixing in the Jp dub is a ton better than the En dub. In fact that's my only real issue with the English dub. The mixing doesn't really work well for outside areas. It feels like theres no real distance between people when they talk.

That said, this video cemented that I'll be sticking w/ the English Dub for at least my first playthrough :)

Infest

I'm surprised so many people prefer the english dub. I personally will play the game with japanese voices of course and I actually prefer every single actor of the cast. However I also really like the english Ardyn. And maybe I'll give the german dub another try for my new game+ playthrough.

Voror

Wasn't this guy exposed as a hater spreading bad info about the game?

I think it might have been that he was right in some respects but was putting everything as negative a light as possible? Hard to say. Certainly hope it doesn't end up as bad as he was painting it as.

Koozek

I'm surprised so many people prefer the english dub. I personally will play the game with japanese voices of course and I actually prefer every single character of the cast. However I also really like the english Ardyn. I'll also maybe give the german dub another try for my new game+ playthrough.
It seems like Japanese + German subs is the way to go for us:
In the German version he says "Wir brauchen einen Plan! Verstecken wir uns!" ("We need a plan! Let's hide!")

So it seems it's translated from the Japanese version directly.

I remember FFX's German subs saying something completely different at times than the English VO and I didn't konw why back then. Now I know it was translated from the Japanese script directly and not from the English.

I'm still thinking about it, but I'm slowly warming up to the thought of playing with JP VO. I just hope that every line of random banter is subtitled too.

Voror

Hmm so what do we have confirmed for summons and what would people like to see?

Confirmed:
Ramuh
Leviathan
Titan
Carbuncle
Ifrit
Knights of the Round?

Ones I'd like to see:
Shiva (all but confirmed I guess)
Bahamut (this is probably a shoe in)
DOOMTRAIN
Alexander
Diabolos
Odin

Granted, Tabata said there weren't that many summons so I suppose I shouldn't expect to see anymore than the top two out of those I'd like to see.

Gbraga

I hope the portuguese subtitles (if there are any) are also translated directly from japanese.

I'm assuming it will be, because of all the recent changes to the script. If they had to wait for the english localization first, that would probably be a bigger time waste than getting people who can do it from the original.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I think that none of the Compilation original characters should show up at all in the Remake. Expanding on characters like Scarlet, Biggs, Wedge, etc is fine but keep those Compilation people out.

Not gonna happen. You should have prepared yourself for that from the start. Like it or not, compilation is apart of this universe and will be tightly integrated with this version of FF7, far more than the OG FF7 was.

Gbraga

Bring on HD Genesis! Can't wait.

Since they're going episodic, can't they just sneak in a Crisis Core Remake as one of the episodes? :')

wmlk

I just wanna play Before Crisis. I hear it's really good and involves the actual interesting characters from the Compilation.

Ray Down

Banned
Bring on HD Genesis! Can't wait.

Since they're going episodic, can't they just sneak in a Crisis Core Remake as one of the episodes? :')

Do it Hexadrive!

I just wanna play Before Crisis. I hear it's really good and involves the actual interesting characters from the Compilation.

At this point I think it's dead. would need a drastic remake at this point. Unless they make it a small downloadable title.

Turin

Banned
Not gonna happen. You should have prepared yourself for that from the start. Like it or not, compilation is apart of this universe and will be tightly integrated with this version of FF7, far more than the OG FF7 was.

Obviously, much of that is getting retconned as much as some of the stuff in the original game will be tactfully(hopefully) retconned.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Obviously, much of that is getting retconned as much as some of the stuff in the original game will be tactfully(hopefully) retconned.

I'm sure some very small things will be changed from compilation to make game compatible sense(i doubt we'll see any genesis appearances in the flashbacks of nibelheim for example), but they will be following the compilation as a basic template for events and scenarios,characters designs and such far more than attempting to recreate the 1997 original 1:1 is my point, which Nomura already said they were not doing.

I just want a new FF7 that makes use of current technology, i don't care personally how they do it as long as they don't listen to fans about it

I'm sure some very small things will be changed from compilation to make game compatible sense(i doubt we'll see any genesis appearances in the flashbacks of nibelheim for example), but they will be following the compilation as a basic template for events and scenarios,characters designs and such far more than attempting to recreate the 1997 original 1:1 is my point, which Nomura already said they were not doing.

I just want a new FF7 that makes use of current technology, i don't care personally how they do it as long as they don't listen to fans about it

Ha ha, same!

Voror

That was the mobile one with the Turks, right?

Thinking about that comment about traveling by train in the second half thus making it linear, does that mean that we lose access to the Regalia and it's ability to fly? I confess it does sort of worry me that we could encounter a Xenogears situation, though I don't necessarily mind a focus towards the story.

Turin

Banned
Before Crisis did seem pretty cool. The Turks are a very interesting group.

I agree with the ending sentiment although he's already confirmed the crossdressing and goofy off kilt humor will be present so I'm sure he's keeping some awareness of the fans. Of course, that doesn't mean it'll become Feedback Fantasy VII.

Tone is one of Nomura's strong suits when he wants it to be. That'll play a key part in how he brings everything together.

Gbraga

That was the mobile one with the Turks, right?

Thinking about that comment about traveling by train in the second half thus making it linear, does that mean that we lose access to the Regalia and it's ability to fly? I confess it does sort of worry me that we could encounter a Xenogears situation, though I don't necessarily mind a focus towards the story.

I have no reason in particular to feel that way, but the instant impression it gave me was: "Regalia gets rekt, bros take the train to continue their journey, get the Regalia v2 with the ability to fly torwards the end, and the game allows you to revisit any area at that point"

wmlk

We know that the train has been an emphasis since at least 2014. Yeah, the game will have parts that are undercooked, but I think here Tabata's only reconfirming story things we already knew.

Voror

I have no reason in particular to feel that way, but the instant impression it gave me was: "Regalia gets rekt, bros take the train to continue their journey, get the Regalia v2 with the ability to fly torwards the end, and the game allows you to revisit any area at that point"

Okay that could definitely work then. Like they get it back from the shop and get told they made a few adjustments. But the important question is: is this a regular train or Doomtrain?

Just watched the 2013 trailer on a whim, which made me a bit sad. Granted, that gameplay sequence is clearly all cgi or rough test stuff. Hell, the whole trailer is pretty much that. I'd completely forgotten about that digital map that shows up when Noctis is climbing the ships.

It's been said before, but Nomura sure knows how to make a compelling trailer.

Just watched the 2013 trailer on a whim, which made me a bit sad. Granted, that gameplay sequence is clearly all cgi or rough test stuff. Hell, the whole trailer is pretty much that. I'd completely forgotten about that digital map that shows up when Noctis is climbing the ships.

It's been said before, but Nomura sure knows how to make a compelling trailer.

Kojima and Nomura have a gift in that regard, both can make excellent trailers and games that are fun to play.. Storywise well heh

Top Bottom