• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV - 50 min video

Ishida

Banned
Can I say that the amount of variety in the enemies is astounding? gotta say I like the fact that flands, piscodemons (Mindflayers), arachnae, ff1 style scorpions and Zuu are in brought in great detail in this game?

Yeah, it truly seems like the Final Fantasy of old. I'm really loving the enemy variety and their amazing designs!

killatopak

Hopefully the delay eases some of the people's worries here.

IMO I don't see any problem whatsoever at least not glaring ones. Voice? I don't know, I'm not a native English speaker but I don't find any problems. I'll definitely play on English VA because I don't want to miss tidbits of conversation while travelling because I don't understand Japanese. Lighting is fine but could use some polish on day time. The part where they were in the cave after the little boy's tip was absolutely amazing. Animation could also do some work so they won't slide or clip but it's pretty negligible.

I just hope Neo mode is supported.

Okay, so I know it's incredibly common in JRPGs, but I really, really dislike the kind of framing device they're using right up-front.

Having said that, the beginning of chapter 1 and the title card is like, the exact thing I was hoping for from this game.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Ah fuck 'em.

Ni No Kuni did it beautifully.

foliiv.gif

Ni no Kuni sure looks beautiful.

But it being fun is another story.

Woops, I posted in the wrong thread. Copypasta:

Only skimmed through the video because I don't want to see too much of the opening chapters.

Yeeeeeeah, I'll be playing this with the Japanese audio (not that I wasn't going to before, but this doubly confirmed it for me).

pablito

I enjoyed the video quite a bit but holy shit @ Gladio's sister. Why are we still having animations/body language like that. Horrible.

Ishida

Banned
Npcs in the Witcher 3 look leagues better, and somehow, the lip sync in W3 is even better. I'll give this game character animation but in the current state it's quite unpolished, especially the animations they use for non cutscene conversations, particle effects are comparable as well. Lighting in TW3 looks a lot better especially during character close ups. Duscae gave Witcher 3 a run for it's money. This video however certainly do the game any favors.

No. NPC's in The Witcher are some of the ugliest motherfuckers.

Lighting in TW3 can't even come CLOSE to what FFXV is doing, there is not even a contest. Lighting in The Witcher is nothing to celebrate, really.

Dali

Just watched the whole video. My thoughts are maybe the compression was bad and I was watching a bad youtube video because it was choppy as hell. Hopefully youtube is the reason for the crappy framerate. Also, a lot of ridiculous hairdos. Like performance crippling stupid (possibly), as well as stupid looking in general.

On the plus side, I finally think I saw a person not white (or whatever the word it is when Japanese try to make things universal but essentially make their avatars white) and that was nice. Admittedly I haven't engulfed all the media between this and the cg movie, but I have half been watching it a bit and I think it's nice to place a fry cook person of color in the game as a nod to the existence of people of color. :)

On the non sarcastic up side, after the first 30 minutes of the video, it did start to get interesting. The combat in the first bit was boring, but both the combat and the story were kinda interesting by the end. I collected the crap out of monsters in FFX, so if the diner missions are a collectathon end game leading to a fight with an ultimate monster, then that would be fun.

artsi

Can't watch right now. Is all of the footage from the beginning of the game?

It's the first 3 chapters (condensed to 50 minutes by editing) that the press also got to play. They're basically showing us what they'll be writing about.

jett

D-Member
This also looks flat and barren?

It's a world map. Since it's not a 1:1 overworld, you get to your destinations and locations quickly, so the barren factor doesn't matter. And it definitely looks more pleasing to the eyes than what FFXV got going on at the moment. Trying to chase western open worlds is probably what has caused so many problems to this game and to VsXIII. Hell, you don't even need that to be a successful western RPG. The Mass Effect games don't have open worlds.

I haven't explored an actual, whole world in a Final Fantasy game in 16 years. Would enjoy doing that again.

Npcs in the Witcher 3 look leagues better, and somehow, the lip sync in W3 is even better. I'll give this game character animation but in the current state it's quite unpolished, especially the animations they use for non cutscene conversations, particle effects are comparable as well. Lighting in TW3 looks a lot better especially during character close ups. Duscae gave Witcher 3 a run for it's money. This video however certainly do the game any favors.
- Witcher 3 also had an aggressive LOD on consoles with a lot of pop-in.
- Witcher 3 was developed by a Western studio with a priority for English voice acting.

- As you said in the 'current state', so it is in development and might look better on release, or perhaps on NEO.

I'm laughing so hard at people celebrating this shitty lighting like it's the second coming of god.

Agni's Philosophy looked better, hell even Duscae looked better.

FF really makes people blind it seems.

Ishida

Banned
I'm laughing so hard at people celebrating this shitty lighting like it's the second coming of god.

Agni's Philosophy is a tech demo, not a full blown game. Are you being serious right now or just pretending...?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Bonus (from the previous gif)

1471365696-noct2.gif
I'm liking Ignis more and more

Anyone have any clear shots of the rest of the timeskip cast? To be honest, I barely noticed anything different. Gladio's samurai bun and Ignis' dealwithit.gif glasses are all that I picked up on

Skilletor

I would hope Agni's Philosophy looked better since it was just a tech demo.

lol

Ferr986

Other than Gladio's sister acting like she was retarded (so basically like 80% of anime girls), I kind of like what I see.

"Are you serious?" says the one praising this like it's the best lighting.

I can't.

Being a tech demo means shit, Arkham Knight reached UE demo levels.

Styles

I am just happy that it looks like an actual game that is fun to play and not some pre-rendered target BS they have been feeding us for years. 🙏

Brings a tear to my eye.

Do you have high hopes for the game?

Yeah, can't wait to pay 60$ for each part of the game.

Sarcasm, obviously.

Did you feel that way for Starcraft 2 or the Mass Effect trilogy? Because that's what Nomura is doing with this game.

The lighting alone in the VII-R video looks so much better.

Manu

Looks good. At times great. At times meh.

It most certainly doesn't look like shit, unless you're purposely looking for things to complain about.

It's a world map. Since it's not a 1:1 overworld, you get to your destinations and locations quickly, so the barren factor doesn't matter. And it definitely looks more pleasing to the eyes than what FFXV got going on at the moment. Trying to chase western open worlds is probably what has caused so many problems to this game and to VsXIII. Hell, you don't even need that to be a successful western RPG. The Mass Effect games don't have open worlds.

I haven't explored an actual, whole world in a Final Fantasy game in 16 years. Would enjoy doing that again.
This might be just your opinion but after FFXIII, if they had decided to go for a world map like Ni No Kuni, the shitstorm would be HUGE and they would be mocked.

I Am Setsuna also has similar overworld. I am fine with it but people just expect next generation stuff from a FF and sadly this means an open world like in the Western games.

Maxim726X

Watched the first few minutes, and the battle system looks improved, which is a huge relief.

Is it still basically 'hold square to kill' or has it moved beyond that? I've been in media blackout mode since the Platinum demo.

Skilletor

"Are you serious?" says the one praising this like it's the best lighting.

I can't.

Being a tech demo means shit, Arkham Knight reached UE demo levels.

I only see people comparing it to Witcher 3. I don't know what you're reading.

And I don't really know what you're talking about. Arkham Knight doesn't look as good as Agnis Philosophy...so, yeah, don't understand your point.

SPAW

Only major drawback watching about 25-30 min was the English voice acting. Playing Duscae with Japanese audio and English subtitles was not optimal as so much is going on at the same time on screen that I really hope their performances grows on me.

MilkBeard

Damn, the first battle theme that plays in the vid is so good. It reminds me of older Final Fantasy games, for sure. Can't wait to hear the other battle themes too.

Watched the first few minutes, and the battle system looks improved, which is a huge relief.

Is it still basically 'hold square to kill' or has it moved beyond that? I've been in media blackout mode since the Platinum demo.

You don't have to hold..it's still there.

Top Bottom