• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV - 50 min video

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
As illustrated, at launch, W3 had performance issues, but CDPROJECTRED even with necessary downgrades from their earlier trailer footage, knew how to design an engine that scaled with lowering fidelity and still provide excellent results.

Luminous unfortunately was designed in the opposite direction, where you can ONLY get good results in a high end environment and the lower fidelity you go, the worse the game looks, until you can't run the game on the system anymore.

That's bad coding in this day and age, and def should not be dismissed by blaming the hardware.

I'm being 100% serious. I'll admit FFXV needs more AA other than that I think you guys are getting fooled by the bright, vibrant colors and the fields of grass. Give me a shot of a region in W3 that's more like that PS4 FFXV screenshot.

Game is gorgeous, by no means perfect on PS4 compared to PC but it looks MILES fucking better than what FFXV is bringing out. Maybe a possible PC version of FFXV is gorgeous too we'd have to see.

But comparing PS4 Witcher 3 vs PS4 FFXV is a no contest man, it's a battle you're not going to win.

GWMqna2.jpg

xm5RtqO.jpg

5OFTMYm.jpg

wmlk

It's been established like an infinite number of times now that TW3 looks better in wide open areas, and FFXV looks superior when the draw distance can be much less.

It's beating a dead horse at this point.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
It's been established like an infinite number of times now that TW3 looks better in wide open areas, and FFXV looks superior when the draw distance can be much less.

At least The Witcher 3 had a horse.

/s

Tyaren

I'd say that is also debatable. (And how would you know if you haven't really played TW3 and seriously just asked if the land you saw was explorable.) The Witcher 3 has some really amazing interiors and cities. Want comparison screenshots for this too? ;)

wmlk

Like, if I downloaded that 8 GB video of FFXV which is still 3.5 months from release, I can show very honest comparisons between FFXV and TW3 that show FFXV as the clear winner in some regards. Both games have their advantages and disadvantages, and TW3 is a clear winner in wide open areas.

I'd say that is also debatable. The Witcher has some really amazing interiors and cities. Want comparison screenshots for this too? ;)

No. 1) I have shitty internet, and 2) you're comparing a game where you can frame shots to look pretty by actually playing the game to a game which is still 3.5 months away from release, and has like only 30 minutes of PS4 footage in what's most likely the most uninteresting segment in the game.

Do you see the difference?

I don't really think FFXV looks good inside the interiors either. People seem to equate blinding light flashes when you attack things in the dark with good lighting.

iGeodude

You mean like a barren steppe with just a few bushes here in there and some groups of cardboard trees? Sorry, there isn't any region like that in The Witcher 3. .__. The vegetation there is generally lush and the LOD may not be the best on console but it looks fairly good even 100 metres away.

Well in my opinion you can't compare the two, it's like comparing a field of flowers to a desert and saying the field prettier because the desert doesn't have any flowers. In your first W3 screenshot, the trees in the distance look pretty flat to me. I tried to find a picture of the Duscae region without overcast weather in the High Quality video to better compare the two games but I came up short.

Now don't get me wrong, I have noticed the downgrade of FFXV compared to its previous footage, but I don't believe it as terrible as people are making it out to be. The AA definitely needs to be improved before the game is released. I believe that will make a difference for the people that hate how the game currently looks and perhaps a brighter color palette for the W3 crowd.

Anyway I've said my two cents.

Mediking

.... I said this before and I'll say it again... W3 is a rarity. It's like finding a mountain of gold. I love that game but I don't use it compare to other games. Why not? Because... you know.... I want a good time from a game. Not a comparison contest. At least let FFXV prove itself when we play it. "But W3 has better writing and looks so good!" Oh God. I get it. I KNOW.

.... I said this before and I'll say it again... W3 is a rarity. It's like finding a mountain of gold. I love that game but I don't use it compare to other games. Why not? Because... you know.... I want a good time from a game. Not a comparison contest. At least let FFXV prove itself when we play it. "But W3 has better writing and looks so good!" Oh God. I get it. I KNOW.

We're not talking about the quality, but visuals. Showing what you can do on consoles. The engine for FFXV has to be a mess if it has to lower resolution and do whatever the fuck it's doing with the AA and the hair so it can run.

Game is gorgeous, by no means perfect on PS4 compared to PC but it looks MILES fucking better than what FFXV is bringing out. Maybe a possible PC version of FFXV is gorgeous too we'd have to see.

But comparing PS4 Witcher 3 vs PS4 FFXV is a no contest man, it's a battle you're not going to win.

Something I think FFXV does better is the sense of scale...The landscapes feel more realistically proportioned than W3. For instance, those mountains in W3 look the part for sure...but they are actually tiny in elevation. I can't think of any areas in W3 which convey the sense of scale even in Duscae. Witcher 3 looks more consistent point blank. I think as somebody else said though, FFXV on consoles looks like it is running an engine on minimum settings. I think on a beefy PC this will look more impressive overall than Witcher 3. Personally I think the Paris 2014 footage already did. Better lighting, better vegetation, better modelling (but less crafted level design, something which W3 absolutely excels at!).

Mediking

We're not talking about the quality, but visuals. Showing what you can do on consoles. The engine for FFXV has to be a mess if it has to lower resolution and do whatever the fuck it's doing with the AA and the hair so it can run.

Isn't there a saying about console gamers shouldn't freak out over visuals...? PC gamers, okay. I get it. High rig? Best graphics. But arguing over visuals in a console game.... I'll shut up. Haha

wmlk

You know what, I can play your game too. This is from Platinum Demo on PS4(?).

giphy.gif

Find me a time lapse like that of TW3 on PS4 that looks as good if not better. You know what, you probably can't, because each game has its strengths and weaknesses.

Comparing the strong parts of one game to the shortcomings of another and making a judgment on that isn't a very honest comparison.

Inuhanyou

giphy.gif

Find me a time lapse like that of TW3 on PS4 that looks as good if not better. You know what, you probably can't, because each game has its strengths and weaknesses.

Comparing the strong parts of one game to the shortcomings of another and making a judgment on that isn't a very honest comparison.

That's on a high end PC. They were not showing developmental footage on a PS4. That is saved for when they are cutting things down, far away from media footage.

Trace

Banned
IMO once people have their hands on both, you'll see some insane FFXV shots as well. It's really hard to compare shit quality videos (direct feed my ass) to carefully framed screenshots.

Hell there are shots of Enderal I'd put above most of the FFXV screens released, and some bad Witcher 3 shots.

AltIshmartep1.jpg

Inuhanyou

er.

Well, i take back my claim then. That is indeed impressive.

But i hope that the final product ends up looking similarly impressive to that timelapse.

As you may have noticed, i never played the platinum demo. I watched a friend play the Duscae demo at his house, but that was a while back

But is FFXV going to look like the Platinum demo?

No? The Platinum Demo was all tiny areas and most were interiors. The rest were corridors. Even that outdoor area where the timelapse was captured is actually very tiny.

Plus I think it ran at about 10 fps. The framerate in Platinum Demo was absolutely disgusting. It made combat feel like you were fighting underwater because of how sluggish the controls were.

Inuhanyou

I'm sure platinum was a good tech demo to show off the technology they were using...wasn't that what they said it was supposed to be anyway?

I'm hoping that the full game can keep that fidelity with the patched disc version

Tyaren

Well in my opinion you can't compare the two, it's like comparing a field of flowers to a desert and saying the field prettier because the desert doesn't have any flowers. In your first W3 screenshot, the trees in the distance look pretty flat to me. I tried to find a picture of the Duscae region without overcast weather in the High Quality video to better compare the two games but I came up short.

Now don't get me wrong, I have noticed the downgrade of FFXV compared to it's previous footage, but I don't believe it as terrible as people are making it out to be. The AA definitely needs to be improved before the game is released. I believe that will make a difference for the people that hate how the game currently looks and perhaps a brighter color palette for the W3 crowd.

Anyway I've said my two cents.

I myself think the screenshots Square Enix has provided us with are very unflattering. They probably asked the cleaner person to take some because they are too busy. ;) Also these screens are clearly compressed, pretty badly even. The game IQ doesn't look very nice but it is not that bad...at least not on PS4. So, that's that.
But just because there is no similarly barren and, honestly, dull environment in TW3 you can't just dismiss all comparisons. Duscae actually isn't meant to be a desert or dried out steppe. It looked pretty lush and with grass for miles in it's early PC stages. It now looks as it looks because they simply weren't able to make it as lush as they once wanted to. So I still do think the meadows of Toussaint are a fairly good comparison. The LOD is really a good deal worse in FFXV. You see trees swaying in the wind in TW3 for miles. The lighting in FFXV also doesn't hold a candle to TW3. Not since it's downgrade after Duscae Demo.
The pictures I posted earlier for the TW3 were by far not the prettiest I have. I just looked for open scenery by midday with some trees, nearby and in the distance, and distant mountain peaks, just like Duscae. I could now really get out the big guns of some beautiful shots with amazing lighting, even with overcast or thunderstom weather, but I won't because this thread isn't about TW3. So that were my last two cents regarding this matter. ;)

Holy crap I didn't realize how bad TW3 can look on consoles.

Honestly those screens (especially the one I quoted) don't look any better than the FFXV footage we've seen so far.

For any bad shot like this I can show you an amazing one. For FFXV we've only seen bad shots...and those were meant to be promo shots selected by SE.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Let's remember that no FF was ever the far and away graphical winner of any era.

FFX had the best facial tech of its era, but I always thought any given MGS2 scene tended to look better.

And FFXIII was one of the best looking games of its generation, but that was mostly owing to the polish of art assets. It wasn't considered far beyond the pack of ~2009 HD games in technical terms.

Any other FF game? Not even a contender. The PS1 games had great CGI for their day, I suppose.

(not to say Luminous -> PS4 isn't a bit underwhelming compared to promises)

Mediking

er.

But i hope that the final product ends up looking similarly impressive to that timelapse.

As you may have noticed, i never played the platinum demo. I watched a friend play the Duscae demo at his house, but that was a while back

Your tears taste so good!!!! :p

wmlk

But is FFXV going to look like the Platinum demo?

Procedural cloud generation has been added to the newer builds of FFXV. I see no reason why you can't replicate those shots.

And believe me, once we get our hands on the final game (a 40-50 hour RPG), we'll be able to find examples better than the time lapse. Because we can actually play the game and frame those pretty shots.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!

giphy.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqzN-3TE3oc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNsd6Sr7vfE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHPONjN76wM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic-t0xpkZDk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZTRcaHRSEE

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Let's remember that no FF was ever the far and away graphical winner of any era.

FFX had the best facial tech of its era, but I always thought any given MGS2 scene tended to look better.

And FFXIII was one of the best looking games of its generation, but that was mostly owing to the polish of art assets. It wasn't considered far beyond the pack of ~2009 HD games in technical terms.

Any other FF game? Not even a contender. The PS1 games had great CGI for their day, I suppose.

(not to say Luminous -> PS4 isn't a bit underwhelming compared to promises)

FF9
FF12

BocoDragon

I'm confused.

The games that launched on an ancient console at the same moment the new consoles were dropping?

FF9 wasn't even as pretty as its hardware contemporary Chrono Cross and FF12 wasn't even as pretty as its contemporary Okami.

I'd call those the definition of "par for the course" and nothing special.

JBwB

For any bad shot like this I can show you an amazing one. For FFXV we've only the bad shots...and those were meant to be promo shots selected by SE.

I already know the Witcher 3 can look utterly amazing (have countless screenshots on Steam).
I was merely pointing out that the Witcher screens that were posted here didn't look any better than any of the FFXV footage that has been shown.

Hmmm, I think FFXV does the macro environment scale better than W3, whereas W3 does the micro environment better for instance. I come from a country where the environments in Witcher 3 bear a resemblance (Scotland), and I think the game captures the pine wooded, and overgrown, rustic nature of areas of countryside. On the other hand, at a landscape scale, it doesn't really capture the feeling of space, nor topographical heterogeneity.

The arid environment in FFXV really resembles a place I lived in for a time in Chile (Copiapo Valley). The sense of scale and topography is pretty damn close to what I looked like where I lived, as does the vegetation dispersion at etc. My feeling is that both games have strengths in the visual realm, but just saying one does everything better than the other is inaccurate. I don't think there is even a question that W3 looks like the more polished product, but I also don't think there is a question that FFXV has a much better sense of scale. That is something I really like.

Falk

that puzzling face

er.

I feel like overall a lot of their optimization process has involved removing details/processing that don't affect the overall composition of shots (durr, captain obvious) but are really noticeable when you zoom in.

Feels like this is why the game still looks relatively offscreen and in smaller thumbnails (moreso than other games) and especially in motion, since it seems to want to preserve the overall composition of the scenes.

^ It helps that that GIF isn't full-size. The weather and day/night systems remains top-notch even when the assets are kinda pared down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-O8LQtXJYA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5AbD-d2Dag

Watch at 2x speed in a smaller window.

edit: Really, what I'm getting (which aligns with Tabata's messaging) is FFXV is about a complete, holistic experience, even if things like IQ in the master version footage do kinda fall apart when you pay close attention to them.

BocoDragon

Also FF13. It still looks pretty gorgeous. You can't really compare the two, I know, but if you put just a screen of FFXIII and FFXV beside each other like 90% of people would think XIII is the newer, prettier one. ;)

I do think FFXIII is the nicest looking FF in its era. And yeah it probably does look better than XV on a quick glance.

It feels really easy though, since it's basically a hallway with high resolution dolls standing in it.

That engine broke when they added more open spaces and NPCs bustling about (XIII-2 and LR).

artsi

Something I think FFXV does better is the sense of scale...The landscapes feel more realistically proportioned than W3. For instance, those mountains in W3 look the part for sure...but they are actually tiny in elevation. I can't think of any areas in W3 which convey the sense of scale even in Duscae. Witcher 3 looks more consistent point blank. I think as somebody else said though, FFXV on consoles looks like it is running an engine on minimum settings. I think on a beefy PC this will look more impressive overall than Witcher 3. Personally I think the Paris 2014 footage already did. Better lighting, better vegetation, better modelling (but less crafted level design, something which W3 absolutely excels at!).

Yeah pretty much. We've seen the tech demos, we've seen the PC footage of FFXV, and we know it can look amazing when supplied adequate hardware and all the engine features are enabled. But it's just not happening with (vanilla) PS4 or XB1 because unfortunately the engine isn't that suited for low performance systems.

It still looks very good, but not as good as it could.

I'm confused.

The games that launched on an ancient console at the same moment the new consoles were dropping?

FF9 wasn't even as pretty as its hardware contemporary Chrono Cross and FF12 wasn't even as pretty as its contemporary Okami.

I'd call those the definition of "par for the course" and nothing special.

Comparing Ookami to FFXII is truly bizarre. Ookami isn't attempting anything approaching the stylistic realism in FFXII.

If they were "par for the course," then what games rivaled them?

Inuhanyou

^ It helps that that GIF isn't full-size. The weather and day/night systems remains top-notch even when the assets are kinda pared down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-O8LQtXJYA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5AbD-d2Dag

Watch at 2x speed in a smaller window.

edit: Really, what I'm getting (which aligns with Tabata's messaging) is FFXV is about a complete, holistic experience, even if things like IQ in the master version footage do kinda fall apart when you pay close attention to them.

That's true too...

BocoDragon

Comparing Ookami to FFXII is truly bizarre. Ookami isn't attempting anything approaching the stylistic realism in FFXII.

If they were "par for the course," then what games rivaled them?

Okami came out in the same fall season so I was trying to be fair. Let's continue: Silent Hill 3? MGS3? You could really build a list if you start digging into Xbox/GCN/PS2 games.

Anyone playing a lot of top shelf PS2 games in those days certainly didn't have their jaws on the floor when XII came along.

It looks good. Great even. I love the look of XII. But in terms of being far and away beyond competition? It was not.

Toparaman

Banned
Comparing graphics in RPGs to games from other genres is silly. From 7 thru 10, FF was widely considered the gold standard in RPG graphics, western or Japanese, PC or console. And that's not what we're seeing here.

Top Bottom