• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV - 50 min video

ViciousDS

Banned
I haven't thought about the game design, but my FFXVI would be mainly inspired by Cowboy Bebop and where the main party are bounty hunters in space.

I've imagined a few trailers in my head cut to these tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRxPFRHwjcI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUsU9C_Lizw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nftxDrStny8

I have nothing else. I just know it looks cool as hell.

Oh, this the battle theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6jCJZEFIto

HIRE ME MATSUDAAAAAA

in......space you say

Ragnarok~0.jpg

Ray Down

Banned
I'd like to see Ito be given a shot at XVI. Been too long since we had a game from him.

But Yoshida has done some great work with XIV so if they want to give him a shot then I'd be for it too.

I'm curious what Tabata will do from here. I would like to see him head another Final Fantasy like Type-Next and see what he could do.

Tabata said already his next project isn't Type Next.

jiggle

Kagari may hate me.......since I'm going to mention this because it's her fave game.

Yoshida should be the one to lead the FFXVI team no doubt after a new FFXIV expansion is completed
Only if it`s between him or toriyama
Otherwise
raw

Not after the poop nugget summons

Tabata deserves another chance,not saddled with a crippled engine and hodgepodge of leftover ideas

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Isn't toriyama working on a undisclosed title.
Maybe FFX-3 spinoff, but fingers cross not FFXVI.

Toriyama is working on both FFX-3 and FF16. They are both duologies that will introduce lighting to the X universe which is also the 7 universe and combine them together to create the 16 universe. Agni will be lightning's loveable sidekick and is married to adult Hope. Snow also shows up.

Yoshida should be the one to lead the FFXVI team no doubt after a new FFXIV expansion is completed

Oh god, please no. The last thing we need is a new era of aggressively generic storylines that simultaneously fail at any attempts at drama so miserably, that FFXIII looks profound in comparison.

Kagari, does it seem like square enix has learned from XV's development in terms of dev time and trying to squeeze an engine on hardware it wasnt meant for. I know they switched to UE4 for a lot of their titles.

ViciousDS

Banned
I'm looking forward to the grind where you fight all the bosses of the game 500 times each before you can make the final weapon you need to defeat the final boss!

Only if it`s between him or toriyama
Otherwise
raw

Not after the poop nugget summons

Tabata deserves another chance,not saddled with a crippled engine and hodgepodge of leftover ideas

I think that's just Yoshidas mmo design and planning. He knows what hes doing to keep peoples time engaged.

Also the lore was already explained why you get little Effigy's instead of full summons. But just based on the cut scenes alone summons with Yoshida directing would be............BAH GAWD

I haven't thought about the game design, but my FFXVI would be mainly inspired by Cowboy Bebop and where the main party are bounty hunters in space.

I've imagined a few trailers in my head cut to these tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRxPFRHwjcI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUsU9C_Lizw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nftxDrStny8

I have nothing else. I just know it looks cool as hell.

Oh, this the battle theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6jCJZEFIto

HIRE ME MATSUDAAAAAA

I would pay day one for an FF like this, all I want is my goddamn star wars esque Space Opera Square why won't you give it to me!!!!

I don't find this too different from Episode Duscae outside of the bloomy look ED went for.

I think the skin shaders still look a bit more impressive compared to Witcher's characters, even though in some lighting/shadowing conditions it does look downgraded from before.

And all of this downgrade sadness got me looking at other games I haven't played in a while. I think Driveclub, ignore it being a non-open world game (it renders a very vast landscape though), pretty much has the similar tech features and issues. Both XV and DC strive for photorealism by utilizing some mass pseudo-GI tech with dynamic time of day and a robust weather system and volume clouds that changes the atmosphere and general look across the environment. It's a very pretty game but it can suffer from looking like a last gen game too. Several of the environment textures and IQ suffers massively, mid day lighting just generally does not look good despite the lighting system doing great work at other times of day. And this is a first party game.

Duscae landscape xbone screencap in comparison

Need the final game with whatever graphical touches for direct-feed captures to make any more comparison but I don't think it'll be too far off from Witcher 3, which can look very rough on console too.

Novigrad also got a notable downgrade from the its initial reveal too. Didn't they pretty much have to re-do all of their rendering and lighting since it was too taxing?

image_the_witcher_3_wild_hunt-24103-2651_0001.jpg

LtVZa96.jpg

I wouldn't be so quick to blame Luminous troubles considering what also happened here. Seems a lot of devs overshot their target, except the XV devs are only now finding out the consoles can't handle it because for whatever reason they decided to not make the PS4 the lead platform despite there being no PC version right now. :
Witcher 3 may have been downgraded but it still is one of the most gorgeous games ever.

Ffxv might be that on pc but we have no news what the pc version will entail

wmlk

Personally, I think Tabata deserves another shot. I feel like he has a pulse on what people want while having a vision of his own. I think that's necessary for FF to be a leading franchise.

But yeah, his next game is almost for sure a big budget new IP. He's been talking about it for a while. Since the Luminous team is in his Division now, I think it could very well be something like Agni's Philosophy. He's likely not touching FF for a while.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Kagari, does it seem like square enix has learned from XV's development in terms of dev time and trying to squeeze an engine on hardware it wasnt meant for. I know they switched to UE4 for a lot of their titles.

The real test will be how quickly titles like FF7R and DQ11 end up coming out since they don't have to worry about creating an engine on top of them.

jiggle

He said at the end of 2015 his next project is big.

It's parasite eve

I think that's just Yoshidas mmo design and planning. He knows what hes doing to keep peoples time engaged.

Also the lore was already explained why you get little Effigy's instead of full summons. But just based on the cut scenes alone summons with Yoshida directing would be............BAH GAWD
They created the lores
Imagine if the same idea infects the offline FF

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
SE better just get some else to make Type Next. Go get team ninja or from software.
I really wouldn't mind if they just got their Western studios to handle the grunt work on future Japanese-designed titles.

But the real issue was Luminous Engine and that's bye-bye. I'm sure SE Japan can handle UE4.

Nobody is saying they should have been forced to do anything. It just would have turned out better console wise in terms of quality if they had lead on PS4, and then they obviously could have ported easily to PC a competent port.

They only were ever advertising PS4 and XB1 for this game and have not seriously talked about a PC version. With that in mind, they should have prepared better for the SKU's they were advertising, instead of acting like PC components were the only option, and not even releasing a day and date version for PC.

Their workflow with Luminous is still messed up if they are releasing downgraded ports to console as a priority, and swatting those users while not even releasing on PC day and date to take advantage of that greater hardware, swatting the PC userbase as well.

Why even have this workflow in the first place in that case.

It's not really a workflow thing though. The tech stuf they are doing is similar to what every western dev does now.

Dice does it with BF
Acti does it with COD
Ubi does it with pretty much all of their gamees (ac, division, far cry, etc.)
Even smaller studious/projects like Ninja Theory with Hellblade are knee deep in similar arrangements.

Heck, look at all the non-japanese talent we've seen in the dev team. Those guys have been living and breathing this environment for a few years already.

The problem is Japanese management being stuck in their ways of (Sony) consoles and japan itself being the center. That's why nearly everything over there is Vita or PS3 baseline with PS4 being a port.

They used to go, "PC/Steam?" Never heard of it, and go all in on PS3.

Now Namco, Sega, Capcom, Konami, Tecmo Koei etc. are tripping over themselves announcing PC versions much sooner than expected/ at all/simultaneous release. Even SE and Platinum are now tripping with Near: Automata being day and date with the PS4. Level 5, Atlus, and a few others are the only ones holding out.

FFXV is a casualty of decade old management mindsets under different market conditions, while simultaneously trying to be forward thinking in terms of technology design and game development.

jiggle

I do wonder who will be in charge of character designs
Nomura and Yoshida are both gone
And Naora is not exactly known for that

wmlk

I do wonder who will be in charge of character designs
Nomura and Yoshida are both gone
And Naora is not exactly known for that

Oh, Nomura isn't gone. He'll for sure design characters for future titles.

Roberto Ferrari right now I think is a mainstay as well. He's in charge of the best designs in Final Fantasy XV tbh. He just needs to be reeled in a bit with stuff like Cidney, since that won't fly for main characters.

(Rikku in FFX-2 is even worse, and she's a main character)

It's not really a workflow thing though. The tech stuf they are doing is similar to what every western dev does now.

Dice does it with BF
Acti does it with COD
Ubi does it with pretty much all of their gamees (ac, division, far cry, etc.)
Even smaller studious/projects like Ninja Theory with Hellblade are knee deep in similar arrangements.

Heck, look at all the non-japanese talent we've seen in dev team. Those guys have been living and breathing this environment for a few years already.

The problem is Japanese management being stuck in their ways of (Sony) consoles being the center. That's why everything over there is Vita/PS3 baseline with PS4 being a port.

They used to go, "PC/Steam?" Never heard of it, and go all in on PS3.

Now Namco, Sega, Capcom, Konami, Tecmo Koei etc. are tripping over themselves announcing PC versions much sooner than expect/ at all. Even SE is now tripping with Near: Automata. Level 5, Atlus, and a few other are the only ones drinking holding out.

FFXV is a the casualty of a decade old management mindset, while simultaneously trying to be forward thinking in terms of technology design and game development.

Considering the domestic market requires them to pursue console/handheld releases. Unless you're writing the Japanese market off, in which case we live in dark, dark times.

Considering the domestic market requires them to pursue console/handheld releases. Unless you're writing the Japanese market off, in which case we live in dark, dark times.

I'm not writing them off, I'm just highlighting their thought process and why it makes sense (and why its so outdated compared to current trends). Its understandable considering how much the Wii U and PS4 are under performing over there compared to mobile, handheld and legacy hardware.

Contrast that with how these consoles and PC are performing over here (all three are doing excellently, barring MS's diminished market placement.) Japanese developers are better off targeting the larger audience across every viable platform in the west, while continuing to develop games with the japanese gamer in mind (just not their taste in platforms).

SE have said multiple times that they are hoping that that this game brings in significant PS4 sales in japan... in an era were consoles are continuously shrinking in japan. That's kinda like the prevailing core gamer mindset hoping that the mobile bubble bursts, but it only keeps getting crazier.

Inuhanyou

Having an engine that scales badly with the two major SKU's your releasing on is just bad. They could have had a much better time if they lead on PS4 done a marginal resolution lowering on XB1 and then ported to PC. There, you win cause you can scale the game how you want and get it on your platform and i win by getting the best possible experience on the hardware i've got too.

It seems to me that your dismissing the troubles of their engine, how it has notable problems scaling down to the SKU's they are making the game for primarily, and then acting like console users SHOULD be sacrificed just because of the hardware you like to play on.

I'm sorry but you said before that that kind of thinking was selfish, and yeah, it is very selfish of you to think in that manner.

Mediking

Kubo is free now, he will design FF16!

I know you're joking but...

Tite Kubo is one of my favorite manga creators... if anything... I want him to take a break and talk to the creators of Bakuman (the same guys behind Death Note) and gain inspiration. Bleach has amazing directing of scenes in the manga.

Heck, is there a manga OT on GAF that I can go to or something????

Inuhanyou

I know you're joking but...

Tite Kubo is one of my favorite manga creators... if anything... I want him to take a break and talk to the creators of Bakuman (the same guys behind Death Note) and gain inspiration. Bleach has amazing directing of scenes in the manga.

Heck, is there a manga OT on GAF that I can go to or something????

After that ending..jesus. No thanks. That last arc in general, but especially that ending.

butman

yes theres spots where it looks bad, mostly due to still needing polish, but much of the time it looks like the same FFXV weve been looking at for months! compare these to any screens released since episode duscae. Its really just about the same as it's ever been..if anything the AA is a little better here than its been before when the resolution doesnt compromise it. I think the final game will end up looking just fine.

here's a few similar shots from the uncovered trailer.

https://postimg.org/image/42tm3wki1/

Thanks for this. The game still the same since Uncovered trailer. Stop moaning folks.

HeelPower

Gotta hand it to square enix.

FFXV is almost GTA levels of ambitious when it probably wont sell half as much.

Regardless of how the game turns out exactly,there is no denying the massive efforts that went into this.

They tried.So I hope it pans out well.

I'm always smitten with Isamu Kamikokuryo's FF work, though I don't know if ever does a lot of character design outside of primarily focusing on being the art director. (I wish he would!) He drew my favourite versions of Lighting and Serah, and all the work he's done for XV has been breathtaking. I remember opening up my FFXII CE guide and seeing his work on the cover of the little artbook that came with it, my jaw pretty much fell off my face in awe. I'm so glad he's still with SE.

I'm really curious to see what Ferrari does with the FFVII cast. I think he's fantastic designer with specific details, like Cindy's hat, jacket, boots, Aranea's boots, it's just when it all comes together it's, er, not the most practical combination clothing wise for the ladies. I don't know how much of it is on him, or on the direction he gets given for the characters. I'd buy the hell out of his clothing line if he ever wants to go into fashion design.

The real test will be how quickly titles like FF7R and DQ11 end up coming out since they don't have to worry about creating an engine on top of them.

Thats true. Im a little hopeful for VIIR part one coming somewhat soon (within the next two years) because we got gameplay not long after the announcement.

Tyaren

vlcsnap_2016_08_18_19h37m20s466.png

Hate how those low res card board trees look like. :(
Did they look like this in Duscae...?
*going to try a comparison shot*

wmlk

The game looks absolutely stunning at the night time.

Even in the dungeons, the battle against the Arachne was great.

Having an engine that scales badly with the two major SKU's your releasing on is just bad. They could have had a much better time if they lead on PS4 done a marginal resolution lowering on XB1 and then ported to PC. There, you win cause you can scale the game how you want and get it on your platform and i win by getting the best possible experience on the hardware i've got too.

It seems to me that your dismissing the troubles of their engine, how it has notable problems scaling down to the SKU's they are making the game for primarily, and then acting like console users SHOULD be sacrificed just because of the hardware you like to play on.

I'm sorry but you said before that that kind of thinking was selfish, and yeah, it is very selfish of you to think in that manner.

I have a bias that I wear on my sleeve, and it definitely colors my opinion and my posts in this thread and FFXV threads in general. For like, the past 2 years. I'm a beggin' bastard, and I'm high as fuck over all the love PC has been getting from japan (and salty at all the snubs and downgrades).

You're right that we can have both. We could have both in regards to this game, its just a matter of waiting, which I hate.

None of that matters. The PS4/XB1 are the advertised versions, and its wrong to be misleading about it.

But at the same time, saying that what you are getting is a sacrifice is a little...extreme. There is no right way to prioritize the development of a game - a platform will be the lead: PC, Xbox, PS4, VITA, 3DS, NGAGE, whatever. Being upset that a situation isn't working out to your desires just because you have a PS4 and every other dev treats it better isn't an automatic right by nature either. There's only so much it can do when the conditions aren't lined up to play to its strengths/mitigate its weaknesses. Just look at the state of the Xbox One version. Those guys are eating a not insignificant amount of of dust, their version not being prioritized.

But it is still definitely wrong on the grounds that SE lead people on, its not consumer friendly. You're absolutely right, by default.

I expanded my thoughts on this after you posted. I don't think that anything I said about the other western developers dev environments being similar, changing market realities, and management decision speculation is unreasonable.

CGwizz

People keep comparing this to the witcher 3 still? The witcher is like a gen apart from this.

Sometimes the environments are Red dead redemption levels of bad.

I dont think there is a open world game this gen looking worse than this.

Ishida

Banned
People keep comparing this to the witcher 3 still? The witcher is like a gen apart from this.

Sometimes the environments are Red dead redemption levels of bad.

I dont think there is a open world game this gen looking worse than this.

lolwut.

The only game that looks better than this when it comes to open worlds on consoles is Horizon. The Witcher 3 cannot even match it.

Top Bottom