• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dramatis

Welcome to Mangaf. We're here to discuss manga-related things. Please read the rules regarding spoilers below.

Banner recommendations for this thread: Jan/Feb 2016 | Mar/Apr 2016 | May 2016 | Jun 2016 | Jul 2016 | Aug 2016 | Sept 2016 | Oct 2016 | Nov 2016 | Dec 2016

Simple rules to follow so we can discuss our favorite manga easily:

1. Sort of guide to how you should post.
In bold, put the name of the series as the first line in your post. Then you can go ahead and discuss whatever is on your mind without tags, okay? Make sure there is a space between the bolded name of the series and your text. Here's an example:
Hunter X Hunter 505

It rules and I don't know why!

2. Regarding manga scanlations.
duckroll said:
This is the last time I am ever going to say this. I believe I have mentioned this before. Do not ever, ever direct link to illegal piracy shit. This includes manga releases, manga scanlations, sites and apps which provide such access, etc. STOP DOING IT. This thread is for the discussion of manga, not for the exchange and distribution of illegal material. Don't ask, don't tell. Future offenses will result in normal moderation consequences. Do not reply to this message, just move along. If you have a question, PM me.

So to repeat, DO NOT link to any manga scanlations websites or ask where to read manga.

If you post a panel or page, there should be no logo of any site on it.​

3. Regarding spoilers in this thread.
We will discuss all the manga in one topic with no tags. If you don't want to be spoiled by the chapter as soon as the translation is out, do not come in here. Also, since we are not talking about the anime, you can mention new episodes without tags either since they are always behind or are filler. You should know well enough not to come in here not wanting to be spoiled. Please bold the header of your post as shown in rule 1 to help other posters avoid spoilers.

If you understand the content of the chapter you wish to discuss has significant spoilers for the series and wish to discuss without spoiler tags, and the chapter is a fresh (within 1 day) release, please add some additional detail to the bolded chapter title to indicate as such. Example:
Prison School 666 SUPER SPOILERS

I don't know what I could possibly spoil.
Exercise good judgement about spoilers.

Again, no spoiler tags for text needed, that is the benefit of coming here.

Caveats:
Leaks do not count as translation or scans. If a translation has not been released yet, spoiler tag any leaks and discussion of the chapter. Leaks should be sourced (a name/location at least, if a link is not possible).

Regarding image spoilers: "Please do not embed major spoiler images, ever."

4. I don't know what manga to read. Can you guys help?
Obviously the best way is to ask in the thread so we can give you recommendations that fit your taste better, but if you don't want to do then there are two excellent threads to check out for a list of good manga. Some good advice: don't ask for recommendations late Tuesday and Wednesday.

If you are a shounenhead and want your manga filled with hot blooded action then read cosmicblizzard's nifty thread of awesome battle manga.

If you prefer seinen manga or non-mainstream manga then read flawfuls thread of awesome lesser known manga.

If you want fluffy romance manga, NeoSoma has a chart of sweet and/or fluffy romance manga from /a/.

Other possibilities collected from this thread and link to a list of recommendations/impressions will be found in the second post below.​

Reading manga on tablets.
If you are looking for manga-reading tech on tablets, Jintor suggests Mango and suko_32 has more details on his tablet setup.

Links to official threads for individual manga/anime series, courtesy of MetroidPrimeRib
One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!
My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time
Berserk |OT| - Big men, bigger swords, biggest boatrides - Berserk #338 24/7/2015
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure |OT| Get back, Stand up
Shingeki no Kyojin manga thread of TOTAL SPOILER PANDEMONIUM
Hunter x Hunter Community Thread - OSU!
Naruto Manga |OT2| Not A Romance Manga
Dragon Ball Manga/Anime |OT| This isn't even our final thread
Toriko: Manga & Discussion | Put The World On A Plate!
Bleach Manga |OT| Return of the King
Prison school |OT| "WT" stands for "Working together"
Tokyo Ghoul:re Manga - We need a thread to talk about this (spoilers warning)
Onepunch-Man |OT| only S-Class heroes allowed
2015 Manga Reading Club Compilation

Community ventures
~ Manga Thread IRC ~ wonzo: Welp, went ahead and made a manga irc channel at #MangaGAF @ irc.rizon.net More info here.
Link to our resident Pixel King Neoriceisgood's full set of 100 manga/anime avatars
Akito's gallery of all the Weekly Shounen Jump covers

H00bT7x.jpg

Assorted manga commentary and interviews
bigkrev commentary and criticism of digital manga in the west.
Akito's gallery of all the Weekly Shounen Sunday covers
Mockingbird and Fancy Poster GAF fancy poster if you want it.
upandaway suggests a method for picking up new manga.
NeoSoma's One Page to Hook You In thread
curlyfriski discusses panel layouts. Additional comments from wonzo.
Interview with Toshio Maeda linked by Lain.
Shengar's Bechdel test on anime and manga.
An article on Inio Asano's workplace, courtesy of Semblance.
Lain's bad translations of interviews of Furuya and Kago.
Italian (?) licensed manga list from Lain.
Zweizer with an interview with Toshio Maeda (hentai manga artist).
Articalys: Space Brothers Mangaka Chuya Koyama interview

Odds and Ends from last thread
Manga GAF Shokugeki Character Popularity Poll, conducted by MetroidPrimeRib (8/24/15 - 8/28/15)
How Elfen Lied ruined veloxStrix's life.
Don't Read Bleach

Previous Threads
OT1
OT2
OT3
OT4 SEE FIRST POST FOR RULES
OT5 We Post on Wednesdays
OT6 Hot blooded smut! (missing)
OT7 This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.
OTL Not a lick of constructive conversation here
OTZ Reading Shounen Garbage > Watching Moe Garbage
OTX Attack on Titles
OTE Thought it was a smut paradise, it was shounen hell
OTP The Salt Smut Only Knows
OT13 Don't bite the dog that feeds the hand.
OTS Yeah I couldn't come up with a thread title ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
OTY Creatively Bankrupt
OT~ How can I Ignore Such a Magnificent...THREAD!

WALL OF SHAME FOR OT~
2Cb5JGM.jpg

So, why are the recent and not recent reads pretty much never things I ever see posted about in the thread? At most maybe one person talks about them. Seems pretty misleading to me since the way it's titled suggests they're titles that are currently popular among mangaGAF, and not just a bunch of random series that the guy making the thing likes and wants other people to read

bobohoro

Not a single manga on there I'm reading.
Should probably change that.
But only got time to follow my list of ongoings right now.

Zweizer

Banned
So, why are the recent and not recent reads pretty much never things I ever see posted about in the thread? At most maybe one person talks about them. Seems pretty misleading to me since the way it's titled suggests they're titles that are currently popular among mangaGAF, and not just a bunch of random series that the guy making the thing likes and wants other people to read

Where does it mention popularity? Pretty sure the intent is to have people discover some lesser-known series rather than pinpoint them towards something they'd see mentions of every page anyways.

Lain

Where does it mention popularity? Pretty sure the intent is to have people discover some lesser-known series rather than pinpoint them towards something they'd see mentions of every page anyways.

I also fail to see how Some Recent and Not So Recent Reads of Manga OT can be interpreted as misleading given the titles presented.
Let alone the fact that the banner has had series discussed by many posters too.
I'll be honest, that feels like a weird complaint.

dramatis

The title of the banner used to be "Popular reads", I remove "Popular" and still there's complaints that it's not popular reads.

Rather than assuming that the selection is due to my personal taste, how about you just ask how the banner is made

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Fuuka 97

Aoi and Fallen Moon finally get to work together. We'll see how this goes.

Everyone will flip out except Yuu who will refuse to let her in the band because her first name is Fuuka.

It will take another 50 chapters for him to let her in the band permanently and probably another 50 beyond that for him to start hooking up with her. Iwami stays losing.

Rhapsody

Banned
Everyone will flip out except Yuu who will refuse to let her in the band because her first name is Fuuka.

It will take another 50 chapters for him to let her in the band permanently and probably another 50 beyond that for him to start hooking up with her. Iwami stays losing.

Sounds on track for Seo.

Shouta

Boku Dake Ga Inai Machi/Erase Vol 5-6

Shieeeeet so much happens in these two volumes. I'm not going to spoil any of it for folks watching the show but man, this is great. I have one more unread volume then I gotta wait on volume 8.

Edit: You folks read Harlem Beat recently? Very enjoyable manga.

It doesn't anymore, and I get that that's the point, but if I didn't know better I'd definitely assume it was meant to be popular. If it's meant to be recommendations of lesser known titles, just say "a few recommendations" or something like that

Zweizer

Banned
It doesn't anymore, and I get that that's the point, but if I didn't know better I'd definitely assume it was meant to be popular. If it's meant to be recommendations of lesser known titles, just say "a few recommendations" or something like that

Isn't that pretty much what it says?

i mean it says, Some Recent and Not So Recent Reads of Manga OT so i can only assume people misunderstood it cause they didn't read the bold text?

bigkrev

Every time a new thread happens, I post "hey, I'm going to be here more!".... and then basically never post.

So this time, I'm saying I won't be here, and that might mean I will post more!

That said, if the end of Nisekoi kills me, expect a 10,000 word essay about why I should win a trip to Japan so I can kick Komi in the balls repeatedly.

Rhapsody

Banned
Domestic na Kanojo 79

Lewd. And looks like Natsuo's getting feeling for Rui now. Not sure how to feel because this is all because of that teacher lying.

bobohoro

Domestic na Kanojo 79

Lewd. And looks like Natsuo's getting feeling for Rui now. Not sure how to feel because this is all because of that teacher lying.

I mean, if Natsuo is really going through with just believing that, there wasn't much to his hope for getting back with Hina anyway. Sure, there's uncertainty in the situation and all, but if your resolve gets shattered by the ex-boyfriend casually dropping hints without even questioning that stuff, then you're probably better off getting it on with the hotter, cuter and younger model that's right next to you.

Common sense, which will not apply to Sasuga Kei works.

Tomo-chan 259

Fierce.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom