• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV - 50 min video

benzy

Regarding the car driving, here's a recent Q&A with one of the Lead Game Designers (AI & Buddy System), Prasert "Sun" Prasertvithyakarn.

Fan question:
"Why is it so easy to control the car (unrealistic) and why is there no freedom to drive?" (referring to the playable demo at the AFATH 2016 event)

Sun:
"We made it easy so everyone can play our game, including the casual fans who never played this kind of game before. In other open-world games, the car controls are realistic and the driving scenes are nightmare to some players who can't drive in real life so they keep crashing the car all the time and it's frustrating. We think that driving is not a key feature in this game so we should focus on the story and something more important. That's why the car will be easy to control. But we also have other features for the players to enjoy it, for the example; you can let the AI drives the car while you play with your camera and looking around the landscapes, this is not possible in other games because we're unique!"​

Source: http://www.mognetcentral.com/threads/about-the-car-final-fantasy-xv.5901/page-2#post-37641

Baffling reason for automated car control.

NullKaze

PR to Non PR translation:

"It would really ruin our game design if the car could go anywhere. There would be too many edge cases to handle because we didn't design the game from the beginning with a freeroaming car in mind. As such our world is generally not friendly for car travel.

There are also many technical reasons that this would be a nightmare. It's not like we didn't try though. Look at TGS 2014's trailer. Unfortunately at some point we determined it to be unfeasible... I'm sorry T.T.

Enjoy flying though! There are a lot less edge cases up there."
This is the actual reason.

Socivol

Why do none of the NPCs stare at noctis, since he is a prince i thought he'd be more of a bif deal in these cities and small gas stations. Here in the UK if the prince was out and about there would be news camera crews everywhere and paparazzi.

Not saying there should be all that but maybe NPCs should at least acknowledge him.
Also outside of his own kingdom he might not be well known. Outside of British royals I couldn't identify another prince in real life myself.

Go_Ly_Dow

At some point they have to drive over a bridge that collapses and the car flings them over to the other side as it falls into the ravine below. Sad music plays. It's a real tear jerker.

:'(

Then in the final cutscene it appears again and honks outside the palace. :eek: The guys run outside only to discover it used its last drop of gas to get back! They then all push the car to the nearest gas station.

THE END.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Last time I remember people complaining about a car being in FF. Now they want a full gran turismo experience.

Not being able to at least stop on a dime and exit wherever you want is absolutely horrible though. That's the entire point of having your own car.

Then in the final cutscene it appears again and honks outside the palace. :eek: The guys run outside only to discover it used its last drop of gas to get back! They then all push the car to the nearest gas station.

THE END.

BibleThump

NullKaze

Not being able to at least stop on a dime and exit wherever you want is absolutely horrible though. That's the entire point of having your own car.
But that's exactly what Chocobos are for.

The reason why they don't have off-road cars is because then they have to program collisions, behaviour in combat, AI reaction to cars, etc.

Just think of the car as the train and the Chocobos as the horses in this RDR-like open world.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
But that's exactly what Chocobos are for.

The reason why they don't have off-road cars is because then they have to program collisions, behaviour in combat, AI reaction to cars, etc.

Just think of the car as the train and the Chocobos as the horses in this RDR-like open world.

That's not what I'm saying. If it's just an on-rail mount to get from a region to region, fine, be that way, but not being able to stop anywhere along the way to go sightseeing manually or to pick up a quest sounds dumb.

Falk

that puzzling face

THE END.

What if FFXV really is a timeloop except every repetition has Noctis grow older and older

GDBaST7.png

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Last time I remember people complaining about a car being in FF. Now they want a full gran turismo experience.

It is a waste of time. The guy's in the interview's right, this is not a key feature of the game. Nobody buys this game to drive around.

Elios83

LOL indeed.
It's funny because it made me remember how people got their car in Batman last year and the reaction was pretty much "I didn't ask for this, it ruined the game design".
Now they want the full GTA/Forza Horizon experience in a Final Fantasy game....
Some people still haven't realized that a single game can't please everyone, it's absurd to try so hard to bash it whenever something is not like you wanted it to be.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
That's not what I'm saying. If it's just an on-rail mount to get from a region to region, fine, be that way, but not being able to stop anywhere along the way to go sightseeing manually or to pick up a quest sounds dumb.

But this is not true. In that sea coast video the guys stop randomly and go exploring!

ebil

Regarding the car driving, here's a recent Q&A with one of the Lead Game Designers (AI & Buddy System), Prasert "Sun" Prasertvithyakarn.

Fan question:
"Why is it so easy to control the car (unrealistic) and why is there no freedom to drive?" (referring to the playable demo at the AFATH 2016 event)

Sun:
"We made it easy so everyone can play our game, including the casual fans who never played this kind of game before. In other open-world games, the car controls are realistic and the driving scenes are nightmare to some players who can't drive in real life so they keep crashing the car all the time and it's frustrating. We think that driving is not a key feature in this game so we should focus on the story and something more important. That's why the car will be easy to control. But we also have other features for the players to enjoy it, for the example; you can let the AI drives the car while you play with your camera and looking around the landscapes, this is not possible in other games because we're unique!"​

Source: http://www.mognetcentral.com/threads/about-the-car-final-fantasy-xv.5901/page-2#post-37641
I'm the kind of players they're talking about and I completely understand their decision because I'm garbage at driving cars in games. This frustrates me and I don't want any of it in my RPG. I'm genuinely sorry you won't be able to enjoy driving around because of people like me.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
So the guy in the other thread lied on the Internet?

I haven't read but from the videos I've seen you can stop the car anywhere and get down exploring on your foot. I don't know if they changed this in the last couple of months?

Frumix

Suffering From Success
What am I missing here? He was able to stop the car at any point he wants. It just took some time because the stop state results in a transition to black screen as the guys get out of car? :S

Read point number 3 again. He describes how he drove way past the quest marker he got because he couldn't just stop when it appeared.

Falk

that puzzling face
Over here Noctis doesn't appear to be throwing a pokeball. Granted, it's a glorified parry/counter, but at least canon-wise Noctis doesn't seem to be shackled to using only pokeballs.

Revisiting this, it appears I was mistaken. It's still a glorified counter, but I was under the incorrect assumption that the ball thingoos needed to be thrown (thanks Pokemon GO) but in this little clip is a much closer shot of Noctis pulling out a ball, activating it, and fire is cast at the target area. No throwing involved.

Oops!

Philippo

Is this guy:
airplane_sunset.jpg

A new version of this one:
RawXgCM.jpg

?

Revisiting this, it appears I was mistaken. It's still a glorified counter, but I was under the incorrect assumption that the ball thingoos needed to be thrown (thanks Pokemon GO) but in this little clip is a much closer shot of Noctis pulling out a ball, activating it, and fire is cast at the target area. No throwing involved.

Oops!

I still don't like this magic thing :/

Go_Ly_Dow

I'm the kind of players they're talking about and I completely understand their decision because I'm garbage at driving cars in games. This frustrates me and I don't want any of it in my RPG. I'm genuinely sorry you won't be able to enjoy driving around because of people like me.

It's your fault! Get him!

Maybe read the reply chain? The car being unwieldy and limiting.
Here is what you said.

From what I have read. We can stop anywhere we want, the only constraint is that the car will drive for a while before stopping to the side of the road. But we can practically stop anywhere and go sightseeing along the road, no?

They have some dumb limitations programmed in place but taking control of stopping the car is not one of them. That would be stupid and take the fun away from the road trip aspect.

The other limitation is that the quests cannot be marked when in the car. They could have coded a menu specifically for this, just to get the quests marked, but they haven't. They only allowed map to be displayed when we are in the car. This could be inconvenient in case we want to mark the quest right away but it is not a dealbreaker.

The way the reply you quoted put it, he made it sound like a chore. But it doesn't look like one to me, personally.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Is this guy:
airplane_sunset.jpg

A new version of this one:
RawXgCM.jpg

?

I still don't like this magic thing :/
Yea I'd kinda enjoy a shot of Noctis doing something like this
king-regis-kingsglaive.jpg

tumblr_oa6xwt2uEL1uyw64po1_1280.jpg

not a fan of this ball mechanic thing. Is it still possible to stick your swords in enemies and use that as a catalyst for magic?

benzy

The thing is they also made a completely different casual mode where you don't even have to drive, the AI does it for you. So people like you who don't enjoy driving in games don't have to drive in this one. But then they went ahead and casualized the manual driving too so it feels almost as limiting as the fully automated mode. What's the point.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
"Why can't I drive the car" does remind me when FFVII newbies would say "why can't I just walk up and hit a button and attack the enemies directly?".

Isn't this an RPG???

But of course you kind of can more or less directly control the character in XV so I realize it's an imprecise metaphor for this game.

Ran rp

Yea I'd kinda enjoy a shot of Noctis doing something like this
king-regis-kingsglaive.jpg

tumblr_oa6xwt2uEL1uyw64po1_1280.jpg

not a fan of this ball mechanic thing. Is it still possible to stick your swords in enemies and use that as a catalyst for magic?

There's some fanart like this. Would be nice to see it in the game, though.

Here is what you said.

From what I have read. We can stop anywhere we want, the only constraint is that the car will drive for a while before stopping to the side of the road. But we can practically stop anywhere and go sightseeing along the road, no?

They have some dumb limitations programmed in place but taking control of stopping the car is not one of them. That would be stupid and take the fun away from the road trip aspect.

The other limitation is that the quests cannot be marked when in the car. They could have coded a menu specifically for this, just to get the quests marked, but they haven't. They only allowed map to be displayed when we are in the car. This could be inconvenient in case we want to mark the quest right away but it is not a dealbreaker.

The way the reply you quoted put it, he made it sound like a chore. But it doesn't look like one to me, personally.

You can stop anywhere, more or less, with the press of a button. The car will find the next appropriate point to pull over under AI control and do so, and it can stop more or less anywhere, or so it at least seems.

My concern when I played the game for 4 hours wasn't with the fact it did this (I think it's fine for what they're trying to do) but with the fact that it takes like 15 seconds to pull over any time you push the button, which is discouraging one from actually doing it. It's just a bit too slow.

I interviewed Tabata at gamescom, by the way... and we have a chat about the car mechanics there. That'll be up sometime this coming week.

Ran rp

minor NPCs

tumblr_o4xmc0vJo81u3o7smo2_400.gif

You can stop anywhere, more or less, with the press of a button. The car will find the next appropriate point to pull over under AI control and do so, and it can stop more or less anywhere, or so it at least seems.

My concern when I played the game for 4 hours wasn't with the fact it did this (I think it's fine for what they're trying to do) but with the fact that it takes like 15 seconds to pull over any time you push the button, which is discouraging one from actually doing it. It's just a bit too slow.

I interviewed Tabata at gamescom, by the way... and we have a chat about the car mechanics there. That'll be up sometime this coming week.

Looking forward to this.

How we went from this
j6346dh.jpg

to this
ugWIHl9.jpg

is beyond me, but Square better has a good reason for it.
The image you used here is from the Xbox One version BTW.

That doesn't sound good. Thanks for clearing it up.

Looking forward to your interview :)

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
PSY・S;214445265 said:
There's some fanart like this. Would be nice to see it in the game, though.

Yea fans already did half the work, it's the same kinda thing the dude would do so it's really surprising they haven't made any artwork of that.

How we went from this
j6346dh.jpg

to this
ugWIHl9.jpg

is beyond me, but Square better has a good reason for it.
Downsampled PC footage to consoles being the obvious one. Although that scene takes place in a small room so it kinda makes me wonder why it had to be adjusted that much.

The image you used here is from the Xbox One version BTW.
I think people are gonna be disappointed when the visual differences between the two turn out to not be as big as they imagine. PS4 version won't end up looking a whole gen ahead or anything.

Top Bottom