• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Demo Gameplay (XB1 & PS4 demos), Battle System, Night & Map Shown

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
The slowdown is obviously what western fans like because they love bullet time in games!

The Jump Festa stuff looked a lot more fluid, what the heck.

Turin

Banned
Jump Fest trailer from December didn't seem to have all those hitstun slowdowns so it must have been added quite recently.

ThornyLastHoki.gif

And now it's
LeanVillainousCarp.gif

My eye isn't as trained on this but might the top gif be at 30fps?

I know it's below that for the demo.

wmlk

one shotting enemies in the FFX demo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrKQVvJ5xVk#t=132

Either way a lot of the mainline FF demos had over powered characters. Considering this is not the intro of the game and a vertical slice of an early area with little or no story ties, it is strange they decided to hinder the characters to lower levels and few abilities. Epecially if they are using this demo for feedback in the final version.

You could oneshot enemies at Besaid in the actual game...

It's in a damn tutorial for crying out loud.

Turin

Banned
The attacks do look slightly more impactful in the Jump Festa trailer. Maybe it's the lighting.....

One of his first lines is something like (after they receive the missions to look for the crystals): "I don't know... It'll be tough... But I'll handle anything that comes my way."

Yeah, I liked his demeanor in the Arcade trailer.

But that game just looks ridiculously fun anyway. It had me salivating. :p

neoism

42 minutes of PS4 gameplay from the demo - http://youtu.be/kWO0mwafBJI?t=34m9s
3 minutes of Xbox One gameplay (non-live demo) - http://youtu.be/kWO0mwafBJI?t=24m37s

Demo is around 3 hours long - http://www.enixorigin.com/final-fantasy-xv-demo-about-3-hours-long/
Game is 60 percent finished - http://kotaku.com/final-fantasy-xv-is-60-percent-finished-1686950798

At the end of the live stream, Tabata held a short Q&A:

• Game Over - You get a game over when Noctis is unable to battle. Even if your HP drops to 0, it doesn’t mean you aren’t able to battle. First you are in a “critical condition” status. In critical condition, a red gauge is displayed and if that gauge runs out, you’ll get a game over. Before the gauge depletes, you can use items or be healed by your companions. If you heal, you’ll be fine.
  • Frame Rate - The demo doesn’t run at 1080p and 30 frames per second. Full HD is planned for the final version.
  • Scope - Is the full version map of Final Fantasy XV 10 to 20 times the size of the trial version’s? Tabata says, “I honestly don’t know (laughs).”
  • Weather - The weather will not change in the trial version. Weather changes are planned for the full version.
  • Weapons - The normal weapons you regularly use in battle are completely different than the Phantom Sword summon weapons. When you start the demo, you have regular weapons and those won’t increase, but you can obtain the Phantom Swords. The Phantom Swords are scattered around on the map, and you obtain them by searching. This is one of the extra elements outside of the story line.
  • Cooperation - There is only one co-op move in the demo. The co-op moves are really strong. It disrupts the balance because they are gradually learned through growth.
  • Side Elements - Side elements of the demo include searching for the Phantom Swords, as well as additional side elements that unlock after you reach the ending.
  • Data Import - There will be no data importing from the demo to the retail version. However, it’s possible Square Enix will give players some sort of bonus for having the demo save data.
  • Adamantoise - You won’t be able to battle the Adamantoise in the demo version. This is an element that’s being incorporated into the story.
  • Airships - Regarding airships, they have not been abandoned. Tabata says he’ll talk about it more after the demo version is released.
  • Ending - The ending of the demo touches on the story of the retail version.
  • Development Status - The full version is 60 percent complete. It might not seem like too big of an increase from the game’s 55 percent completeness at the Tokyo Game Show, but the fact is it’s progressed a lot. Since the progress of game development isn’t finished up uniformly, there is a possibility it will increase quite a bit seemingly at once from here on out.
Source and screenshots - http://gematsu.com/2015/02/final-fa...e-demo-special-reveal-live-stream-full-report
I will not buy a $60 dolla demo... but I'll watch it at least but still really REALLY disappointed in the 60% done comment... even though like they said it can/could go up really fast... as this point .... I'll have to say is it better fucking be released at LEAST in November... Otherwise they might as well release it on the 10 year announcement anniversary... which is fucking comical at this point...
The game looks fucking great and I bought a ps3(lol) for this and cant wait really..BUT
if square learns anything from this game its that you dont announce games before they are at least 40-50% complete...
Hell I wish they wouldn't announce shit for any game they release until 5 months out... Half the battle from being a FF fan for the last 20 years is the fucking wait... and 10 years is ridiculous

raven777

I will not buy a $60 dolla demo... but I'll watch it at least but still really REALLY disappointed in the 60% done comment... even though like they said it can/could go up really fast... as this point .... I'll have to say is it better fucking be released at LEAST in November... Otherwise they might as well release it on the 10 year announcement anniversary... which is fucking comical at this point...
The game looks fucking great and I bought a ps3(lol) for this and cant wait really..BUT
if square learns anything from this game its that you dont announce games before they are at least 40-50% complete...
Hell I wish they wouldn't announce shit for any game they release until 5 months out... Half the battle from being a FF fan for the last 20 years is the fucking wait... and 10 years is ridiculous

Considering what they did with KH3 I don't think they learned..

The slowdown is obviously what western fans like because they love bullet time in games!

I don't know if you're serious or not. But to me it just seems like them changing it because people complained about the hitstun before.

It's not releasing this year.

In fact, don't even expect it to release at it's 10th anniversary.

wmlk

I don't know if you're serious or not. But to me it just like them changing it because people complained about the hitstun before.

I think they just went overkill. There was some definite hitstun with the parry at the Jump Festa GIF. Now it's everywhere.

Falk

that puzzling face

western 2hu fans

I think they just went overkill. There was some definite hitstun with the parry at the Jump Festa GIF. Now it's everywhere.

Parry hitstun actually makes sense if a reaction command is required for the multi-person counter.

On every hit is sorta like everything is a limit break. It's like a 15min guitar solo. D:

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I don't know if you're serious or not. But to me it just seems like them changing it because people complained about the hitstun before.

Who and where are these people who complained? I'd like to slap them.

neoism

Considering what they did with KH3 I don't think they learned..

yeah even if we are lucky well get it by 2017..
I hope

thats just sad...... :*(

wmlk

Parry hitstun actually makes sense if a reaction command is required for the multi-person counter.

On every hit is sorta like everything is a limit break. It's like a 15min guitar solo. D:

For the parry it's great. For everything? It's a bit crazy.

The only hitstun was the sparks actually (and enemy animation of course).

And that was always there, since TGS.

Nope, there was definitely some during the zoom in at the parry. It held that frame for a few more.

Who and where are these people who complained? I'd like to slap them.

Over here? I remember someone (more than 1 in fact) complaining about hitting the Behemoth in that tech demo video at TGS.

After that, I don't remember if it was at Gaf (could've been elsewhere), someone complained about that part of the gif where Noctis is attacking a soldier nonstop.

Nope, there was definitely some during the zoom in at the parry. It held that frame for a few more.
Hitstun refers to the hit, not the parry.

TGS trailer was the one with these slow downs. They showed faster paced combat in Jump Festa and now we are back to the same slow downs in the demo. I'd say it depends on the video.

Also that short part of the Jump Festa trailer showing the combat seemed to be at a much faster pace compared to the previous footage. Even the E3 2013 build had a slower pace at certain places.

Over here? I remember someone (more than 1 in fact) complaining about hitting the Behemoth in that tech demo video at TGS.

After that, I don't remember if it was at Gaf (could've been elsewhere), someone complained about that part of the gif where Noctis is attacking a soldier nonstop.

Hitstun refers to the hit, not the parry.
I'd be one of them, but it was about the Behemoth's lack of reaction when being attacked, not the timing in between hits. I personally love it when there's no delay when attacking.

Mortemis

Banned
Jump Fest trailer from December didn't seem to have all those hitstun slowdowns so it must have been added quite recently.

ThornyLastHoki.gif

This is how it should be, fluid combat for combos and somewhat slowdown hitstuns for bigger attacks (like the spear).

Not every swing sending ripples through the air.

wmlk

I'd be one of them, but it was about the Behemoth's lack of reaction when being attacked, not the timing in between hits. I personally love it when there's no delay when attacking.

Yeah, I was concerned with the Behemoth in general not everything else. In fact, I was saying how good the feedback for everything else looked in comparison.

You really expect the Behemoth to react to a sword swinging at it? C'mon man... Heck, the Garulas are barely reacting lol.

Anyway, here's one of those people Kagari, slap him.

Mortemis

Banned
Yeah, I was concerned with the Behemoth in general not everything else. In fact, I was saying how good the feedback for everything else looked in comparison.

I think(?) it was you that made the post calling for people to make noise about hit stun. Look what you've done. D:

Lmao, jk. I didn't really like how the behemoth didn't react much at that point, but I'd take that over each attack zooming and slowing down.

wmlk

I think(?) it was you that made the post calling for people to make noise about hit stun. Look what you've done. D:

Lmao, jk. I didn't really like how the behemoth didn't react much at that point, but I'd take that over each attack zooming and slowing down.

I did! But it wasn't for hitstun.

I meant that there was no visual feedback. If you look at the video, there is visual feedback for the knights in the form of sparks when you hit them, but no blood or anything for the Behemoth.

This was my post. No mention about hitstun. In fact, I was saying how great the other parts looked (which didn't have hitstun either!).

Out of everything that was shown, the linkform crap with the Behemoth is by far the worst. There's literally no feeling of hit detection...it's just numbers popping up. Someone on /v/ equated it to filing taxes lol.

With the soldiers it's fine since there's proper hit detection, but bigger enemies like the Iron Giant and Behemoth are really weird from what we've seen from the past two years.

MelodicEqualDunnart.gif

Half the time it doesn't even look like he's hitting the Behemoth.

The initial strike doesn't even seem to touch it.

Just compare it to this:

ForthrightGrimAsianwaterbuffalo.gif

Dark_castle

Bheemoth shows a lot of reaction when it was burned by Fire Magic, but yeah physical attack seems to have little to zero effect on him, unless he was stabbed by a spear, seen in E3 2013 gameplay trailer.

Mortemis

Banned
I did! But it wasn't for hitstun.

I meant that there was no visual feedback. If you look at the video, there is visual feedback for the knights in the form of sparks when you hit them, but no blood or anything for the Behemoth.

This was my post. No mention about hitstun.

Oh yeah, now I remember all that now! Didn't remember much at first tbh, but I agree with you then. Guess we will see if there's anything come the end of the demo.

I hope it's not like all bigger enemies/bosses have no visual feedback.

wmlk

" There's literally no feeling of hit detection "

Not saying the word outright doesn't mean you didn't say anything about that.

...Except I was comparing it to something that looked great, and didn't have hitstun. I was saying that it should look something...which didn't have hitstun.

...Except I was comparing it to something that looked great, and didn't have hitstun. I was saying that it should look something...which didn't have hitstun.

That guard? He literally couldn't move with the amount of hitsun he had.

I wonder if there is way to fast-forward time like xenoblade or MGSV.

Description of the Phantom Sword did say he could manipulate "time and space".

Falk

that puzzling face
Should probably start referring to it as bullet time vs flinching.

(In all honesty 'hitstun' implies flinching more than it implies bullet time)

Mortemis

Banned
So you want the Behemoth to be stunlocked like that guard? What?

How would the Behemoth even attack you then?

He just wanted the attacks against Behemoth to be more pronounced and seen, rather than hit stun from what I got out of it.

In that vid it looks like the swords are passing through behemoth or just missing.

He just wanted the attacks against Behemoth to be more pronounced and seen, rather than hit stun from what I got out of it.

In that vid it looks like the swords are passing through behemoth or just missing.

Yeah, that's how it should look.

Did you see the size of the Behemoth? Did you see the size of that sword?

Anyway, now it's certainly more pronounced lol.

Top Bottom