• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Famitsu Info: Tabata (Type-0) codirector, considering PC, apps, more

Reveirg

Famitsu also confirms that Tai Yasue is co-directing Kingdom Hearts 3 (which is expected since it was confirmed to be the Osaka team). With both FFXV and KH3 ending up with co-directors, I guess the era of Nomura being the sole director of the "big" games he's in charge of is over. It makes sense though, as game development gets too large scale, having one person oversee everything can be detrimental to the production process.

I don't think him being the "sole director" of 2 AAA games at the same time ever happened.

I see how FFXV for PC might hurt their sales, but... i think that a release 6 months after consoles wouldn't hurt anyone

This.

I would have no problem with this and Square Enix shouldn't either. They will get most of their sales from the consoles at that point and be able to reinvigorate the game on the PC. Even if a whole bunch of people pirate it.

Nerokis

Whoa. Didn't expect Hajime Tabata to be co-directing. Assuming FFXV is good and successful, it seems Nomura and Tabata will have strong leadership roles within numbered FF from now on. How interesting. Yoshida, Tabata, and Nomura seem to be essentially leading Square's turnaround, at least on the software front.

I'm curious to see where Toriyama goes from here. He's handled an entire generation's worth of FF, but at the same time, it's interesting that they preferred to keep his focus on rehashes as opposed to moving him over to new numbered FF.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
They asked to see demand for Type-0 too actually. At least SE's western branches did.

Yes, but those people have zero power.

That said, again I feel what's going to happen is they will just see if they feel like doing it once they're at a later state of development, but they don't want to commit yet.\

People asking for the PC version should keep in mind how they treated the FFVII release with its shitty tacked on DRM.
I don't think you quite understand the awfulness PC gamers are willing to put up with.

This whole Xbox One DRM setup didn't really make me blink since I've experienced worse for years.

trmas

Banned
And people wonder why this wasn't PS4 exclusive - Square is in financial trouble and will release this on anything that can actually run it. PC version will happen - especially since that is the development environment.

And people wonder why this wasn't PS4 exclusive - Square is in financial trouble and will release this on anything that can actually run it. PC version will happen - especially since that is the development environment.

LOL, FFXV will sell the same whether it's on one platform or ten.

The problem with the series is that SE hasn't grown the fan base. FFVII grew it tremendously, and they've been losing fans gradually ever since.

iavi

They asked to see demand for Type-0 too actually. At least SE's western branches did.

I was going to say that it's not really a good comparison as FFXV would be work that's nearly done by time they ship the game on the consoles, just by the nature of the way they're developing it, instead of the new undertaking a localization can be, but... localization on Type-0 was rumored to have been complete, iirc...

I don't get this company.

ferr

Kumi Tanioka scored the Bastok side of Final Fantasy XI for the pre-expansion game. She is also the Crystal Chronicles composer, but that isn't main series of course.

While there was a lot of great music in FFXI elsewhere, the Bastok side had some really nice music. Kind of Mitsuda-esque at times.

UrbanRats

- They are considering releasing it on PC, and want people to show demand.

FFS, PC gamers should just have an official site where they can "show demand" for whatever title some developer is asking them to beg for, that week.

LETS GET BACK ON TOPIC:

In their marketing efforts they better put:

"From the people that brought you Final Fantasy VII and Kingdom Hearts"

It'll feel like a huge missed opportunity otherwise. Many of the people who worked on VII are working on this game and in an interview a few years ago the team said they were getting the same feeling they had when they were making Final Fantasy VII.

Square Enix marketing needs to go all out for this game. They are afraid to use nostalgia to sell their games but F that for this game. The FFVII team is mostly back together! It's okay to market it like that.

Edit:
@Shinta
0512_0nuod.gif

In there marketing efforts they better put:

It'll feel like a huge missed opportunity otherwise. Many of the people who worked on VII are working on this game and in an interview a few years ago the team said they were getting the same feeling they had when they were making Final Fantasy VII.

Square Enix marketing needs to go all out for this game. They are afraid to use nostalgia to sell there games but F that for this game. The FFVII team is mostly back together! It's okay to market it like that.
I don't think SE wants to emphasize that there are different teams working on different Final Fantasies. They want the games associated with the Square Enix brand, not the individual teams behind them. I would think they would want people to be hyped about every Final Fantasy, not flagrantly advertise which ones they should and which ones they might not.

Plus, you tell the average person that a new Final Fantasy is being made by the people who made FFVII and I think they'll say "No shit." The delineation of teams is something the hardest of hardcore get into, not the average Final Fantasy customer. Seeing a Final Fantasy advertised as coming from the people who made a Final Fantasy in the past would probably result in more laughter than excitement.

Also they better have a collectors edition! I swear to high heavens it needs to be there day 1.

I must have an OST, art book filled to the brink with Nomura's art and concept art and a Making of Final Fantasy XV. You know a making of would be entertaining as hell for this game to watch. 2 hours minimum or bust (make it like the MGS4 making of).

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Also they better have a collectors edition! I swear to high heavens it needs to be there day 1.

I must have an OST, art book filled to the brink with Nomura's art and concept art and a Making of Final Fantasy XV. You know a making of would be entertaining as hell for this game to watch. 2 hours minimum or bust (make it like the MGS4 making of).

Collector's edition considering S-E Europe track record is a given. But I agree with you, we need more behind-the-scenes videos in these games. If I'm not mistaken in the series only X and XIV got one.

Guys seriously just ignore Shinta. You won't get through. Lets get back on topic. Don't let him derail the thread any further otherwise the thread will probably get locked.

Collector's edition considering S-E Europe track record is a given. But I agree with you, we need more behind-the-scenes videos in these games. If I'm not mistaken in the series only X and XIV got one.

I just hope we get one in NA. We always get skipped over with collectors editions.

I find making of/behind the scenes stuff really interesting and I like seeing the inside at Square Enix. I think it's one of the coolest things a company can do.

Lulubop

This.

I would have no problem with this and Square Enix shouldn't either. They will get most of their sales from the consoles at that point and be able to reinvigorate the game on the PC. Even if a whole bunch of people pirate it.

Releasing it day one on PC isn't going to hurt anyone.

Releasing it day one on PC isn't going to hurt anyone.

It will probably drastically increase the number of copies of the game that get pirated, though. Especially if the game comes out early enough in the generation that no major hardware exploits have been uncovered.

Voror

Perhaps we didn't show enough?

LETS GET BACK ON TOPIC:

In their marketing efforts they better put:

Square Enix marketing needs to go all out for this game. They are afraid to use nostalgia to sell their games but F that for this game. The FFVII team is mostly back together! It's okay to market it like that.

I'd be surprised if they did that largely because I can't recall seeing SE do something like that before with pushing specific teams or creators. It would be some nice advertising, though it might also put people's expectations too high which could lead to backlash.

I'm curious how much this game is costing them. Are we looking at budgets similar to Tomb Raider where even selling a good amount isn't considered good enough? SE seem like they want to avoid that though.

In any case, I suppose this is good news though I've never played any games by Tabata myself. Only heard by word of mouth that they are very good. It's nice that he's getting an opportunity like this though.

And I'm glad they addressed the fact that they would barely give us any info before and are going to change that. It'd be great if we could get semi-regular updates on everything.

Voror

Short of sacrificing virgins outside their offices every single day, I don't know what more can be done.

Only hope I could see now is some sort of Vita version, but that seems unlikely given the lack of support. A PSN version released overseas would be great as well, but that the option hasn't been taken by now seems to make it just as unlikely.

Can we seriously talk about how great it is that Hajime Tabata was moved to console development?

This is the best thing, seriously.

This is also proves that Nomura talent scouts all the good people and keeps them for himself, which is kind of dickish.

Bladenic

Can we seriously talk about how great it is that Hajime Tabata was moved to console development?

This is also proves that Nomura talent scouts all the good people and keeps them for himself, which is kind of dickish.

I think it's an okay thing. I never got to play Type-0 obviously, and his other directorial games weren't exactly cream of the crop. They were decent enough though.

Voror

Missed this earlier, but I would totally buy this if they announced it.

But do CEs like this ever even happen? I'd be good with just the artbook and soundtrack personally myself.

Bladenic

Missed this earlier, but I would totally buy this if they announced it.

But do CEs like this ever even happen? I'd be good with just the artbook and soundtrack personally myself.

A CE would probably have a small art book and soundtrack, and some other small or inconsequential things. All the good shit is saved for those JP only Ultimania guidebooks.

CorvoSol

Pshaw, let Nomura talent scout the best, then in five years when he's sick of playing second fiddle to a man in love with a video game character, he'll leave the company, join MistWalker or make his own and we will all bask in at last being able to burn Square to the ground.

Uh, I mean, yeah, I'm freaking stoked that Tabata got moved to consoles. Guy deserves it after putting out Crisis Core and Type-0.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)

I'm curious about what he may plan for Takeharu Ishimoto in the future.

Yeah... dickishly awesome!!!

Top Bottom