• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV interview: Tabata talks delays, Versus, fan expectation and more

Status
Not open for further replies.
What was FF9 then? People complained how far FF8 had deviated from the "FF roots" so they went back to the old school feel for FF9. They implemented a skill learning system like FF6, and had 4 in a party, cartoony characters, etc. Seems that worked out pretty well for them.

Omg FF8 released in 1999 and FF9 was released in 2000. FF9 was not a response to anything. It was in development alongside FF8's development.

FF8 was extremely successful when it released, people need to knock off this false narrative.

Hope ffxv is successful for Tabata because he's been getting a lot of unjust criticism. Ffxv is trying something new from its predecessor and it should be applauded.

I'm honestly pretty annoyed that he (and some people in this thread) seem to think that people like turn-based purely because it's "nostalgic" and that action games are somehow an advancement of the RPG and not a different system entirely.

Not every new game needs to be turn-based, no, and I don't have a problem with XV not being turn-based. But to say that people who prefer that are just being nostalgic is very worrying and makes me think he doesn't understand what longtime fans of the series like about the series.

I feel sorry for Tabata whenever I read interviews like this; He got put into the role of doing this thankless task. He can't wait to be done with this game.

If I ever met Tabata in person I would thank him for the tough job he had to do taking over this project. I hope that after he is done with this game he can move on to something better and hopefully less stressful for him.

I'm hardly a purist when it comes to one or the other. As long as the game is fun and plays well, I'm in.

That said, I think it's telling that the turn-based/real-time thing seems perfectly split down the "realism" line.

Persona 5, DQXI, WoFF. All three have various iterations of turn-based combat, and all three are very much not realistic. Persona and DQ have their obvious anime look, and WoFF its own unique aesthetic.

I honestly don't think you could do a turn-based, realistic-looking RPG without it looking weird as hell. It sure wouldn't look right with FFXV, IMO, and I like what I've seen of FFVIIr's changed combat.

Kyoufu

Many people who played the master version said the combat is fun. Demos lacked a lot of mechanics so I can imagine it will be more interesting when you got magic, better weapons and more advanced skills unlocked.

The problem is basic evading feels crap. They couldn't even get it working on Microsoft's stage.

Prediction: XV will score lower than XIII did on Metacritic.

That really doesn't mean that much considering how reviewers have actually started to become stricter compared to last gen. You don't get automatic 8 nowadays because you ship AAA game and also 9s are not handed like candy.

Koozek

What was FF9 then? People complained how far FF8 had deviated from the "FF roots" so they went back to the old school feel for FF9. They implemented a skill learning system like FF6, and had 4 in a party, cartoony characters, etc. Seems that worked out pretty well for them.
Omg FF8 released in 1999 and FF9 was released in 2000. FF9 was not a response to anything. It was in development alongside FF8's development.

FF8 was extremely successful when it released, people need to knock off this false narrative.
There's some truth to it, though:

Development of Final Fantasy IX began before Square had finished development on Final Fantasy VIII. The game was developed in Hawaii as a compromise to developers living in the United States. As the series' last game on the PlayStation, Sakaguchi envisioned a "reflection" on the older titles of the series. Leading up to its release, Sakaguchi called Final Fantasy IX his favorite Final Fantasy game as "it's closest to [his] ideal view of what Final Fantasy should be". This shift was also a response to demands from fans and other developers. Additionally, the team wanted to create an understandable story with deep character development; this led to the creation of Active Time Events. The scenario for the game was written by Sakaguchi. He began early planning on it around July 1998. Director Hiroyuki Ito had the idea to make the protagonist Zidane flirtatious towards women.
Vivi, Zidane, Garnet, and Steiner in a full motion video sequence.

In the game's conceptual stage, the developers made it clear that the title would not necessarily be Final Fantasy IX, as its break from the realism of Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy VIII may have alienated audiences. This led fans to speculate that it would be released as a "gaiden" (side story) to the main series. By late 1999, however, Square had confirmed that the game would indeed be published as Final Fantasy IX, and by early 2000, the game was nearly finished. The developers made several adjustments to the game, such as changing the ending seven times. Director Ito had designed the battle system used in the game.

Burbeting

Banned
In regards to the versus purists, I think that it would have been better for XV to be completely it's own thing, and just let Versus be cancelled altogether at this point. It would have given XV better stance to stand on it's own without people constantly nagging on the changes it has made from Versus, and there would have been a sense of really new FF game coming, instead of relying on something that was revealed originally in 2006.

Skilletor

In regards to the versus purists, I think that it would have been better for XV to be completely it's own thing, and just let Versus be cancelled altogether at this point. It would have given XV better stance to stand on it's own without people constantly nagging on the changes it has made from Versus, and there would have been a sense of really new FF game coming, instead of relying on something that was revealed originally in 2006.

Definitely. I can't really fault people who have been looking forward to a game announced a decade ago being updset at changes.

Personally, after going through something like Brandon Sanderson taking over for the Wheel of Time, I'm more pleased that it'll be finished than at what could have been.

FF9 was considered by Sakaguchi to be 'the end of an era' and the whole point of it was to pay tribute to the past before moving on to different things and a different tone. had TSW been a success (as its production ran parallel to much of FF9), FF9 likely would've marked even more of a sea change than it already did. FF10 was quite different, and 11, which was greenlit at the same time as 9, was obviously a huge departure.

FF9 actually began life as a side-story spin-off that was meant to be a nostalgia fest. Very early on in its life it morphed into a numbered game after Sakaguchi was impressed by the vision around it.

Whompa02

My problem with comments like "move on" in regard to turn based is that...turn based is a gameplay style that has no age. It can be done well and differently, it can evolve. Action based gameplay isn't more relevant because people think it's "newer."

I agree, but people saying it HAS TO BE turn based, are totally not respecting a creative trying to evolve it in a fresh path. The purists make it difficult to side with them because they're totally unreasonable in regards to just letting a developer touch, "their precious franchise."

FF has been chopped and skewed so many times in the past, but it has to remain turn based? Like...what? Just doesn't make sense.

The only things that really tie FF together, for me, is the interesting mixing of mythologies.

The problem is basic evading feels crap. They couldn't even get it working on Microsoft's stage.

Does it? It took me like 5 minutes to "get it" and it was pretty simple after understanding the mechanic. Just takes a second to learn.

The Microsoft stage demo was a bad demo. I have no idea why they thought that would be a good showing.

Ishida

Banned

I never had a single problem evading in either Duscae or Platinum. Every time I got hit it was my own fault for not breaking the attack stance on time.

Development of Final Fantasy IX began before Square had finished development on Final Fantasy VIII. The game was developed in Hawaii as a compromise to developers living in the United States. As the series' last game on the PlayStation, Sakaguchi envisioned a "reflection" on the older titles of the series. Leading up to its release, Sakaguchi called Final Fantasy IX his favorite Final Fantasy game as "it's closest to [his] ideal view of what Final Fantasy should be". This shift was also a response to demands from fans and other developers. Additionally, the team wanted to create an understandable story with deep character development; this led to the creation of Active Time Events. The scenario for the game was written by Sakaguchi. He began early planning on it around July 1998. Director Hiroyuki Ito had the idea to make the protagonist Zidane flirtatious towards women.

In the game's conceptual stage, the developers made it clear that the title would not necessarily be Final Fantasy IX, as its break from the realism of Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy VIII may have alienated audiences. This led fans to speculate that it would be released as a "gaiden" (side story) to the main series. By late 1999, however, Square had confirmed that the game would indeed be published as Final Fantasy IX, and by early 2000, the game was nearly finished. The developers made several adjustments to the game, such as changing the ending seven times. Director Ito had designed the battle system used in the game.

FF9 is an homage to the roots and history of Final Fantasy. It's not an apology letter because of FF7 or FF8. That's the distinction.

Eidan

I applaud Tabata for taking a decade's worth of empty promises, and trying to actually make a game out of it.

joebruin

I'm honestly pretty annoyed that he (and some people in this thread) seem to think that people like turn-based purely because it's "nostalgic" and that action games are somehow an advancement of the RPG and not a different system entirely.

Not every new game needs to be turn-based, no, and I don't have a problem with XV not being turn-based. But to say that people who prefer that are just being nostalgic is very worrying and makes me think he doesn't understand what longtime fans of the series like about the series.

I think you are putting words in their mouth.

All he says is he doesn't think that the series should be pigeon holed to be one thing. If the development team wants to make the game a certain way they should get that freedom.

Arkeband

Banned
Basic evading felt great in Duscae I thought, and the perfect guard and damage cancel even better.

Have you ever played another action platformer before? Devil May Cry? Kingdom Hearts?

I mean, even in the final version, it's being criticized by the giant "PRESS [X]" prompts, essentially turning the game into a QTE fest, instead of using the basic industry standard of developing "tells" in animation that the player can pick up on and organically learn to dodge/guard.

I don't see how, objectively, what you experienced in Duscae could ever be considered "great" - it was a mess.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I don't think dividing the possibility of battle system between "RPG" and "action" is correct analysis.

First, FFXV is not an action game, aside from the fact that you control the character around the field. It's very much an RPG that plays out fast-paced in real time. That makes it more of an RPG than something like Skyrim (which is also still an RPG). With the speed at which you enter commands, and the auto-battle nature of it, you might get the mistaken impression that it's "action", but the emphasis is on strategy of commands, not technical dexterity on the control pad.

Second, I think FF has always evolved the RPG genre and I do not see XV as any kind of hard break from that tradition. Going back to the introduction of the ATB bars in FFIV, that too was a step away from actually being "turn based" into more of a "real-time" battle scenario. XV just seems like a similar transition towards "real-time" begun in IV, the only difference being a matter of degree.

I do think this series has continually innovated new RPG configurations, and has never been a tradition-beholden series unless explicitly stated (IX, 4 Heroes of Light, etc). Tabata is right.

DrBretto

Banned

This is why I think somewhere in the back of somebody's mind, they're doing the same treatment with FFXVI. I'd be willing to bet that one will be a fantasy based on fantasy, if not just for the juxtaposition.

Ralemont

not me
Have you ever played another action platformer before? Devil May Cry? Kingdom Hearts?

I mean, even in the final version, it's being criticized by the giant "PRESS [X]" prompts, essentially turning the game into a QTE fest, instead of using the basic industry standard of developing "tells" in animation that the player can pick up on and organically learn to dodge/guard.

I don't see how, objectively, what you experienced in Duscae could ever be considered "great" - it was a mess.

Kingdom Hearts 2 constantly has Reaction Commands which are glowing triangle symbols used for contextual counters and such so...

You're right about character action games.

This is why I think somewhere in the back of somebody's mind, they're doing the same treatment with FFXVI. I'd be willing to bet that one will be a fantasy based on fantasy, if not just for the juxtaposition.

If they really wanted to make something like FF9 though, it'd be an homage to say, 6-12 or something, like IX was a love letter to fans of 1-5.

Jinkies

Both Tabata and commentators are using time as a scapegoat just to elevate action-based systems and deprecate others. It isn't a rational argument, and I think Tabata must be simply conducting PR.

Tabata knows an action-based system is easier to sell, thanks to its highly visual nature and ease of access for players who might be bored by anything else. To say that would be suicidal, however.

First post backfire, goddamn. I don't see real-time/action-based as an evolution of turn-based, they are different things.

Anyway, I don't trust Tabata with a mainline Final Fantasy, so meh.

If XV scores lower then XIII, I'll cut my own head off.

Oh I'm pretty sure that's gonna happen.

Gbraga

The prompts are just for the times you can parry and counter with exclusive animations, not for every single attack you can dodge.

Kingdom Hearts 2 constantly has Reaction Commands which are glowing triangle symbols used for contextual counters and such so...

You're right about character action games.

Is he, though? At least Platinum certainly seems to be fond of contextual attacks with a button prompt showing you what to do every time you're in this situation, and in many cases followed by some QTE, usually mashing the button.

Whompa02

Inspired by Tidus?

xoGV64H.gif

Skilletor

Both Tabata and commentators are using time as a scapegoat just to elevate action-based systems and deprecate others. It isn't a rational argument, and I think Tabata must be simply conducting PR.

Tabata knows an action-based system is easier to sell, thanks to its highly visual nature and ease of access for players who might be bored by anything else. To say that would be suicidal, however.

I think Tabata is just saying that making a turn-based game just because that's how it's been is not how a game should be made.

People are using his comment to justify hating on turn-based battle systems without adding the context of the question to the quote.

Sure, Bayonetta and some DMC.

I'm not saying it feels character action tight. I'm saying the evades felt good to execute in Duscae once you got the timing down. Warp evading into a counter was sweet, and the damage recovery move was endlessly satisfying.

No, I don't think cued button promps feel great, but that's not what I'm talking about. In Duscae the prompts are for specific attacks with specially animated counters, but the regular attacks (which are the majority) can all be evaded and countered or canceled without any QTEs. It's in no way a QTE fest.

Also, ffs, there are no "objective" interpersonal criteria for what an individual finds to feel great or not. People on Gaf are so obsessed with objective criteria and quantitative indices. Those have only a weak relationship with aesthetic experience.

BocoDragon

These bets never work out, lol.

I could see it happening, even if XV is a better game. XIII was riding high on on FF prestige and reviewers were timid to eviserate it. This was a time when Jim Sterling's rare 4/10 was widely considered to be a trolling clickbait review, when that score might not be far off to how he game is perceived today.

With XV, the gloves are off, pessimism around the FF brand is in the air... Reviewers will feel very free to shit on the game if it displays glaring flaws.

Garlador

People shit a lot on FF13, including myself lol, but at least it got one thing right. It tried to build its own identity. And the execution wasn't the best, but it really tried.

Bravely Default felt more like Final Fantasy than FFXIII. LOST ODYSSEY felt more like Final Fantasy than FFXIII.

I'm all for forging your own path, but when you're THAT different and you disregard so much of what makes Final Fantasy work, just call it a brand new IP. Call it "Lightning and her Merry Band of Idiots" or "Toriyama's Waifu Simulator 3000" or something.

... Or maybe I'm just bitter that FFXIII felt it was too good for the traditional FF victory fanfare after regular battles, which even I used for my own wedding.

TheTux

Hajime Tabata: Well, the way the game is being made is completely different to what the original plan was, so in that sense it really is a completely different game. The hardware generation is so different that there’s just no way we could’ve carried that over.

Should have made that clear long ago, and people should learn to accept this aswell.

Jinkies

I think Tabata is just saying that making a turn-based game just because that's how it's been is not how a game should be made.

People are using his comment to justify hating on turn-based battle systems without adding the context of the question to the quote.

That is one side of it. You could see it as also saying it shouldn't be turn-based because that is how it has been (i.e. because it is old).

BocoDragon

Bravely Default felt more like Final Fantasy than FFXIII. LOST ODYSSEY felt more like Final Fantasy than FFXIII.

I'm all for forging your own path, but when you're THAT different and you disregard so much of what makes Final Fantasy work, just call it a brand new IP. Call it "Lightning and her Merry Band of Idiots" or "Toriyama's Waifu Simulator 3000" or something.

... Or maybe I'm just bitter that FFXIII felt it was too good for the traditional FF victory fanfare after regular battles, which even I used for my own wedding.
When FFX came out they basically said that all FF traditions were potentially on the chopping block forever after. A new day for the series. I haven't held my breath for things like "keeping the same fanfare" since then.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Damn. Kind of sad to see that the Versus cultists have put so much strain on Tabata and the team. I'm rooting for them.

You say cultists in such a horrible way, like it can't be anyone genuinely who doesn't like what 15 is doing in a vacuum for whatever reason based on changes within 15, it has to be a cult or cultists of Versus specifically because you've basically put it in your head that everyone who liked Versus's vision more is worse than scum.

I dislike that.

I also understand that there are idiots out there, and i genuinely feel bad for Tabata being the fall guy for those people who go beyond criticism or genuine concern for the state of the project and how its turned out. But there's no need for that in the opposite direction.

Jake2by4

Much as I hope it won't, there is a strong likelihood it will unfortunately.

These bets never work out, lol.

I could see it happening, even if XV is a better game. XIII was riding high on on FF prestige and reviewers were timid to eviserate it. This was a time when Jim Sterling's rare 4/10 was widely considered to be a trolling clickbait review, when that score might not be far off to how he game is perceived today.

With XV, the gloves are off, pessimism around the FF brand is in the air... Reviewers will feel very free to shit on the game if it displays glaring flaws.

Inspired by Tidus?

xoGV64H.gif

First post backfire, goddamn. I don't see real-time/action-based as an evolution of turn-based, they are different things.

Anyway, I don't trust Tabata with a mainline Final Fantasy, so meh.

Oh I'm pretty sure that's gonna happen.

I remain optimistic

Ralemont

not me

Tabata doesn't say anything like that here, though. He and the interviewer are saying the viewpoint that "FF should be turn-based because it has been in the past" is not a valid one. Maybe he's said action systems are an evolution from turn-based in other interviews I'm not aware of, though.

Anyway, it's interesting that skill tree differentation is one of the things they are balancing with the two extra months. His comment on one path being "actiony" and one "tactical" makes me think it might be about developing Noctis's twitch moveset vs. developing the whole party. I think a GAFer mentioned ability points are shared, so you can either make Noctis a powerhouse or evenly raise the usefulness of the group.

Is he, though? At least Platinum certainly seems to be fond of contextual attacks with a button prompt showing you what to do every time you're in this situation, and in many cases followed by some QTE, usually mashing the button.

I don't recall Metal Gear Rising having a button prompt for Parry, though. I suppose the difference is just the frequency of contextual prompts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom