• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV is now just one month away. Place your bets: will it be good?

Decado

From my perspective? Hell no. Square has been the master at spending a lot of cash pumping out shit for ages. Even when their games get good reviews, reading between the lines they don't actually seem that good.

8/10...but it is still boring to play. lol

Magnus

I'm expecting something really sound on the game mechanics front. Really great battle system, solid open world, compelling extra side content, etc. We know we'all get beautiful visuals and (probably) great sound and music.

I'm expecting absolute dogshit for the story, though. Like, Kingdom Hearts bad. It tends to be the likeliest victim of stuff that's been in development hell, right?

A good 70 with the chance of high 90 max.
Haha that's quite the gap

I'm expecting something really sound on the game mechanics front. Really great battle system, solid open world, compelling extra side content, etc. We know we'all get beautiful visuals and (probably) great sound and music.

I'm expecting absolute dogshit for the story, though. Like, Kingdom Hearts bad. It tends to be the likeliest victim of stuff that's been in development hell, right?
Kingdom hearts story is magnificent don't be mad because your heart is filled with darkness

kadotsu

Banned
There will be some parts of the audience that are primed to loathe this game I'll list their reasons from understandable to batshit insane:

• They followed the versus development closely and don't like the change while keeping the look and characters
  • They want FF to be a high budget turn based RPG
  • The usual "why does she dress like that" critique
  • They don't like that every FF is different and want their precious whimsy back
  • They don't like how "JPOP" or "bromance" the whole thing seems, which is really just a dog whistle for hating that the the gaming standard of masculinity is challenged. Those people also hate X with the exception of Auron.

My personal opinion of the game is that there are parallels to The Great Gatsby adaptation by Baz Luhrmann. It'll be crass at times, always over the top, a bit baggy but it will try really hard to preserve the essence of the work or in XV case the franchise. I'm also looking forward to seeing male characters that aren't emotionally detached war machine geniuses.

Will be reading reviews all the way up to launch and after. Hope its good, but I'm skeptical as well as my friends. Some think its gonna just be terrible. I wouldn't blame them either with how FFXIII turned out.
Highly doubt it will reach everyone's expectations. It'll hit the 80s on metacritic unless everyone is blown away, but we seen gameplay for months now so we know what to expect.
It'll be overhyped at launch and some will call it the greatest thing ever created since slice bread lol. Until months later when the dust settles and we re-evaluate it again for what its really worth.
We'll just have to wait and see. I hope the characters are likeable or relate-able. Otherwise, its gonna be a chore to finish the game. I don't mind the bromance, but is it believable?

Koozek

There will be some parts of the audience that are primed to loathe this game I'll list their reasons from understandable to batshit insane:

• They followed the versus development closely and don't like the change while keeping the look and characters
  • They want FF to be a high budget turn based RPG
  • The usual "why does she dress like that" critique
  • They don't like that every FF is different and want their precious whimsy back
  • They don't like how "JPOP" or "bromance" the whole thing seems, which is really just a dog whistle for hating that the the gaming standard of masculinity is challenged. Those people also hate X with the exception of Auron.

My personal opinion of the game is that there are parallels to The Great Gatsby adaptation by Baz Luhrmann. It'll be crass at times, always over the top, a bit baggy but it will try really hard to preserve the essence of the work or in XV case the franchise. I'm also looking forward to seeing male characters that aren't emotionally detached war machine geniuses.
Regarding that, there was a cool article on GameSpot last year:

Male Intimacy and Final Fantasy XV

benjammin

It'll easily be better than 13, but I don't think it will be great. I'm thinking very good, somewhere in the 80-85 range. I'm fully expecting a strong start to the story that falls apart as the game goes on, cringe worthy characters with average at best voice acting, but an immense world full of fun gameplay and side quests that make up for the other shortcomings. I'm really hoping that this is the game that can bring the series back to its roots and reinvigorate a formally incredible franchise.

From what I've seen I'm pretty confident it'll be good. Impressions have been pretty positive so far, and I imagine that will translate into good reviews, unless the game takes a stark turn for the worse at some point later in the story. I can't imagine it could be worse than FFXIII; that'd be a pretty hard thing to accomplish given the game seems like the complete opposite of XIII in terms of openess, haha. It may not live up to the hype around it, but I think it'll stand with the best FF games.

Damerman

the story of the first actual kingdom hearts is actually really good.

gunstarhero

I just hope it's not too long - would love if it's in the 40 hour area. Too many RPGs these days overstay their welcome imo.

I'm looking at you Xenoblade Chronciles X.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
If ff13 got a 90, then so will this

ff13 didnt get a 90

the story of the first actual kingdom hearts is actually really good.

I'll take it a step further and say despite the mocking of some people, many of the KH stories like 358, BBS, KH1 and COM are all very good and made me feel plenty of emotions. KH2 is average, Recoded is horrible, DDD is WTF.

So mixed...but i'd definitely not say they were all bad.

Ganondorfo

It will be good, but I dont think it will replace Final Fantasy VI as the best Final Fantasy game of all time.

I do hope that the soundtrack will be as memorable as Final Fantasy VI.

Rappy

Same. Tabata has shown a concerning lack of foresight in how he's split up the events, and i'm not just saying that either.

In general i hate game story and lore that heavily depends on outside material to make sense of the world. Halo and Gears have both started doing it to the detriment of the campaigns, and now FF15 dived head first into having entire major catastophes only mentioned in newspapers, where you have to watch entire prequel movies and anime specials to even have context for a lot of things.
I don't really feel that it is completely necessary to watch that outside material to have people enjoy the characters or story. The anime give a lot of detailed flashbacks of the main party, but just from in game it looks like they have a lot of character. For example, judging from the amount of sales of the Witcher 3 and DA: I it looks as though tons of people had not played the past entries, which definitely give some better back story to characters like Dandelion or Leliana.

Now for the insomnia stuff, I feel that much of the disappointment is expectations from what has been shown in Versus XIII footage. Well that's if they actually don't have any clear story for the second half of the game.

As for reception of the game? Even with the very positive previews so far, it will get plenty "average" reviews from many others (even with one here in this thread saying he's liked everything so far). But man, some of these people in this thread. With some saying it will be absolutely garbage (the actual extreme ones) and are still saying they will try it. With that attitude, you're set to hate the game and it's like hate-watching a movie just to shit on it. Well it's your money I guess and sales will help fund future games whether or not they are like FFXV in the future.

Kazuhira

The only thing im sure is that it won't be lower than a 70 metascore.
I want to believe all these years of waiting were worth it,not only for the players but for the team behind the game as well.

Astral Dog

It Will be Good, but also have its fair share of problems, Combat System, Plot, Design, Graphics and Characters will be critizised. one way or another

lots of brilliance, but also plenty of rough areas to pick on.

FFXV will be better recieved than XIII however, and that should be enough for some gamers.

I hope it's great of course but my optimism for it being actually great is completely different. I expect it to end in the 70s. Let's hope that's not the case.

dramatis

If ff13 got a 90, then so will this
If you look at Metacritic listing for 2016 only, only 12 games (not counting repeats for platforms) hit 90+ Metacritic average. On Opencritic listing for 2016, only 11 games hit 90+ average.

Compared to 2009 where about 21 games hit 90+ on Metacritic, it does seem like critics are being more critical nowadays.

I think it's guaranteed that XV is going to be good at least in the same way Star Wars: Episode VII was good by being not FFXIII and being more solidly made.

Gbraga

I agree with you on that, but you know how it is, lol.

I don't think it makes any sense, though. To have higher expectations because of the 10 years, I mean.

If anything, people should expect less because of the development hell. Who in their right minds look at it and think "hmm, 10 years in the making, that must be because it has more content than any other game in history, except for Duke Nukem Forever"?

Unless the reviews are 2 or 3 out of 10, it's a day 1 title for me. I really don't care overall. I just want to play a big budget current Gen FF.

Crayon

It looks like a bomb hit it. Everything I've seen has been awful. The character designs alone... it's like a bad dream. There's a person here who is very excited for it so I've been trying to act optimistic.

I would be very happy if it turns out good. Shocked, too.

silva1991

I don't think it makes any sense, though. To have higher expectations because of the 10 years, I mean.

If anything, people should expect less because of the development hell. Who in their right minds look at it and think "hmm, 10 years in the making, that must be because it has more content than any other game in history, except for Duke Nukem Forever"?

Agreed.

OrionX

Logic has nothing to do with matters of the heart. ;)

The fact is, even though it's not the same project it started as, a lot of people have had 10 years to imagine their own dream game in their head featuring Noctis. For some, that will be a difficult obstacle to overcome.

AdanVC

I think it will be GOTY material just for soundtrack alone. Pretty damn good stuff what I've been hearing so far.

Intel_89

If the demos are anything to go by I won't even bother with it. No story or visuals can make up for uninteresting gameplay.

I can see it going either way in all honesty. I can easily seeing it be a complete disaster or a pleasant surprise. However, if the game is good, people will still find in disappointing and act like the game is the worst thing ever.

Inuhanyou

As long as the game is good in a vacuum, we should be able to disregard everything the game has gone through.

That's what i'd like to say, but its definately going to be hard for people to disassociate themsevles and give an objective viewpoint.

This is where the non FF fans who are getting into the franchise with this game, and the fans who have not been paying attention to FF15 at all come in.

They have the responsibility of being the objective taste testers

Elios83

These threads are terrible imo.
What's the point?
Showing the mindset you already have on a game? In both ways of course.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
To be honest I don't know, even if it'll be the greatest jRPG possible western audience and reviewers in general tend to favor the genre a bit less than in the past. I would love for a 90+ score but I'm expecting more to be in 83/86 range. Not for real merits but for the genre it belongs too.

Inuhanyou

To be honest I don't know, even if it'll be the greatest jRPG possible western audience and reviewers in general tend to favor the genre a bit less than in the past. I would love for a 90+ score but I'm expecting more to be in 83/86 range. Not for real merits but for the genre it belongs too.

P5 will get above 90 MC

Top Bottom