• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV is now just one month away. Place your bets: will it be good?

Gbraga

Logic has nothing to do with matters of the heart. ;)

The fact is, even though it's not the same project it started as, a lot of people have had 10 years to imagine their own dream game in their head featuring Noctis. For some, that will be a difficult obstacle to overcome.

Oh, but I did too. I just have the common sense of not getting upset when the reality doesn't match my fanfic.

I get excited about games based on what they show, or just the overall quality I expect out of it, not stuff that I imagined.

That might be just because I lack imagination, though, so it might be something a lot of people just can't avoid.

P5 will get above 90 MC

For sure.

SaniOYOYOY

These threads are terrible imo.
What's the point?
Showing the mindset you already have on a game? In both ways of course.

Kinda agree with you here. People who follows the development will probably rank this high considering all the preview, people who don't will just bash this using the previous demos , not turn base,male intimacy, yada yada.
I think its best to let the game speak for itself in the review thread. Looking forward to the insanity and meltdown there wohooo !!

pablito

I think it will be, for me anyway. Other people have already made up their minds or have hangups about it that have nothing to do with the actual quality of the game, but it will affect their opinion anyway.

ZeroX03

Banned
Modern SE's track record
+ Tabata's track record
+ tumultuous development
+ fan expectations

I'd love for the game to be great, but considering the above I'm only confident enough to say the game will be competently made.

At least if WoFF is anything to go by, SE just sucks at making demos and XV's demos were just really awful representations of the game. Cuz they sucked.

OrionX

Oh, but I did too. I just have the common sense of not getting upset when the reality doesn't match my fanfic.

I get excited about games based on what they show, or just the overall quality I expect out of it, not stuff that I imagined.

That might be just because I lack imagination, though, so it might be something a lot of people just can't avoid.

I agree. I plan on judging the game by its own merits too, but I can understand why some would have trouble letting go of the past. Hopefully the game's just so amazing that it makes us all forget about its rough history! And it will be! Believe! :D

Buzz right now is mixed right?

I saw a lot of positive stuff on the first impression basis (much like 13 wowed critics in the first few hours)

Im wondering how it endures after extended play because once I peeled back the layers of 13 its magic wore of super fast

I'm actually most likely going to get this game, but it's giving off a vibe to me that it's going to be disappointing. It's just been in development too long and doesn't seem as immediately promising from the trailers as Persona 5, which you kind of have to compare it to.

I think it will be fine 85-90

The fans?

FF fans don't know what they want. Including me.

I hate these statements that treat a super large group as if it's one entity. Everyone wants different things, is the thing

I know what I want.

And for the most part, i'm getting it.

The game's gonna be bomb.

dramatis

This is actually sort of interesting to think about. From Opencritic (RPG and 2016 only):
Code:
92 The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine
90 Stardew Valley
88 Odin Sphere Leifthrasir
86 Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest (highest scoring of the 3)
86 Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse
86 Valkyria Chronicles Remastered
85 Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD
84 Dragon Quest Builders
84 Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II
83 Bravely Second
83 Tokyo Mirage Sessions
<-- Average: 81
78 World of Final Fantasy
76 Atelier Sophie
75 I Am Setsuna
75 Mario and Luigi Paper Jam
67 Exist Archive
59 Star Ocean 5
There's a number of titles not in here obviously, but I included the major JRPGs. The highest scoring RPGs of 2016 are W3's expansion and an indie game.

The median is 84.
The midpoint between highest and lowest score is 75.5, which is pretty far below the average.

One could probably determine where 15 will fall better using this range of values.

I know nothing about this game but all I know is that you can only control the lead character. I find that disappointing. Of course I have no idea what Im talking about and I have this game preordred.

I think it will be good. Probably high 70s low 80s for the Metacritic/Opencritic.

Still can't believe it is finally coming out though hahaha.

Zolo

How can there be a consensus if the game isn't even out yet?

Consensus from people that have played the Japanese version.

That said, critics are harsher now, but just for reference, we do have:

SMTIV Apocalypse: 85
Persona 4 (PS2): 90
Persona 4 Golden (Vita): 93

Buzz right now is mixed right?

I saw a lot of positive stuff on the first impression basis (much like 13 wowed critics in the first few hours)

Im wondering how it endures after extended play because once I peeled back the layers of 13 its magic wore of super fast

On your first point, no, I think the buzz from people who have played the most updated build is overall solid. There are some complaints about aspects of the game, but the overall consensus seems to be "This is a really good game, which is shocking given its history".

Your second point is spot-on. It's possible things will fall apart. I'm optimistic though; they are sending out review copies soon, I can't imagine them doing that so early if they weren't confident in how the game will do under scrutiny.

DMiz

I was actually surprised to skim through the first page and see so many positive responses.

Maybe it's because I've never had any fond feelings for any of this game's iterations - be it the original Versus, the Duscae demo, or the Platinum demo - but I honestly would be surprised if it cracks 90. I think, at best, FFXV is like going to sit in the 80s range, with comments on how much this game will reflect the future of the franchise.

Rappy

I mean a lot of people have played it in its entirety and consider it to be better than 4. I don't know what more you want.
He wants more people to play the game to become an actual consensus. Rotten Tomatoes requires a certain number of critic reviews to determine a "critic consensus". It's the same thing here. But that doesn't change the fact people consider a small amount of opinions are a consensus I guess. Not that I'm saying Japan's population who played it is small, just saying what he wants from a consensus.

Zolo

It being out in one part of the world and ppl already hyped about it importing it isn't something i would consider a consensus tho

Indeed. Only consensus in America is what really counts.

Also, plenty of users have put out various reasons why they may consider areas it's stronger and even weaker.

He wants more people to play the game to become an actual consensus. Rotten Tomatoes requires a certain number of critic reviews to determine a "critic consensus". It's the same thing here. But that doesn't change the fact people consider a small amount of opinions are a consensus I guess.
Thank you didn't say it was a bad game or anything but there's no consensus yet that's all

Indeed. Only consensus in America is what really counts.

Also, plenty of users have put out various reasons why they may consider areas it's stronger and even weaker.
Yup this is exactly what I said thanks/s

I mean a lot of people have played it in its entirety and consider it to be better than 4. I don't know what more you want.

What's been the reception for P5 in Japan?

I'm always skeptical of import consensus, tends to lead to a positivity bias (e.g. recently SO5 and ToCS2). That said, I'm expecting P5 to be great.

Maybe it's because I've never had any fond feelings for any of this game's iterations - be it the original Versus, the Duscae demo, or the Platinum demo - but I honestly would be surprised if it cracks 90. I think, at best, FFXV is like going to sit in the 80s range, with comments on how much this game will reflect the future of the franchise.

Duscae was okay, and Platinum was by no means a decent representation of the game. The delay seems to have ironed out issues and the gameplay has improved a lot since those things. They shouldn't even have released Platinum at all.

Zolo

I'm always skeptical of import consensus, tends to lead to a positivity bias (e.g. recently SO5 and ToCS2). That said, I'm expecting P5 to be great.

I thought SO5 import impressions were pretty negative with a few users liking it though noting the flaws. The biggest thing seems to be that if you enjoyed P4, it would be very surprising if you disliked P5 since it seems to mostly just take what the previous Persona games did and improve on aspects with the dungeon design being the biggest improvement.

JBwB

This is actually sort of interesting to think about. From Opencritic (RPG and 2016 only):
Code:
92 The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine
90 Stardew Valley
88 Odin Sphere Leifthrasir
86 Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest (highest scoring of the 3)
86 Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse
86 Valkyria Chronicles Remastered
85 Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD
84 Dragon Quest Builders
84 Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II
83 Bravely Second
83 Tokyo Mirage Sessions
<-- Average: 81
78 World of Final Fantasy
76 Atelier Sophie
75 I Am Setsuna
75 Mario and Luigi Paper Jam
67 Exist Archive
59 Star Ocean 5
There's a number of titles not in here obviously, but I included the major JRPGs. The highest scoring RPGs of 2016 are W3's expansion and an indie game.

The median is 84.
The midpoint between highest and lowest score is 75.5, which is pretty far below the average.

One could probably determine where 15 will fall better using this range of values.

Going purely by that list it would't be a stretch to expect FFXV getting 86 - 88.

Here's hoping that it's good enough to be up there with Stardew Valley / Blood & Wine.

I am setsuna import thread told me it was as good as chrono....BUT the Dq builders import thread was on the money with that so it's a toss up

catbrush

Square's back baby. XV will be a return to glory, I have total faith that the team knows what they're doing.
At least 93 Metacritic.

Zolo

Going purely by that list it would't be a stretch to expect FFXV getting 86 - 88.

Here's hoping that it's good enough to be up there with Stardew Valley / Blood & Wine.

The big thing is that if a site doesn't use a point system, the only way to get above a 9 is for the site to give it a 10. This is partly why it's hard to hit 9+ instead of somewhere in the 80s where getting below an 8 would require the site to give a 7.

Square's back baby. XV will be a return to glory, I have total faith that the team knows what they're doing.
At least 93 Metacritic.
I have total faith in this game.. this is not happening tho, I'd eat my left shoe. Not only is it not happening but if it did...whoooo boy people would not accept that

Foffy

Banned
I dunno.

Maybe I'm in a bubble, but not a whole lot they've shown has impressed me. I'm really only interested because it's a Final Fantasy game, but that label to me has been watered down over the years.

I have a feeling this game will be divisive.

Zolo

I have total faith in this game.. this is not happening tho, I'd eat my left shoe. Not only is it not happening but if it did...whoooo boy people would not accept that

Yeah. A good example to use for comparison is Witcher 3 hitting a 92 score, and it's (one of) the most celebrated RPGs in the past couple of years.

I thought SO5 import impressions were pretty negative with a few users liking it though noting the flaws. The biggest thing seems to be that if you enjoyed P4, it would be very surprising if you disliked P5 since it seems to mostly just take what the previous Persona games did and improve on aspects with the dungeon design being the biggest improvement.

Huh, I recall a bunch of folks saying it was a return to form for the series after 4, but I may have not read the threads closely enough. And yeah, the P4/P5 comparisons have me pretty happy.

I am setsuna import thread told me it was as good as chrono....BUT the Dq builders import thread was on the money with that so it's a toss up

Ooh, forgot Setsuna. But yeah, Builders is sweet.

I'm just glad we're getting simultaneous release for XV.

Huh, I recall a bunch of folks saying it was a return to form for the series after 4, but I may have not read the threads closely enough. And yeah, the P4/P5 comparisons have me pretty happy.

Ooh, forgot Setsuna. But yeah, Builders is sweet.

I'm just glad we're getting simultaneous release for XV.
You ain't never lie here.

Samimista

I don't think it makes any sense, though. To have higher expectations because of the 10 years, I mean.

If anything, people should expect less because of the development hell. Who in their right minds look at it and think "hmm, 10 years in the making, that must be because it has more content than any other game in history, except for Duke Nukem Forever"?

That's why I used the term divisive. The reception will be mixed among the fanbase.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
It doesn't take too much to be better than 4 IMO, that said, I have no doubt 5 will be amazing.

Considering a lot of people consider P4 to be one of the best JRPG's on the market, that raises some questions

Fou-Lu

SO5 is a return to form of the original SO, if that isn't what you wanted out of the series then I can see why people wouldn't like it. Luckily for me that is what I wanted.

Top Bottom